Jump to content
Server time (UTC): 2019-11-20, 18:09
Sign in to follow this  
Colman

Thoughts on the Current State of Base Defense/Raiding?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Xehara said:

I do not agree with the idea of making a rule to prevent offline raiding. We have players from all over the world so it would limit EU from raiding a base just because its owner is American and so on. Also, homes get broken into when people are asleep or out of town, which is the same concept of breaking into a base when people are offline. If more than ... two walls are broken in the process then I'd find that excessive and consider it griefing. Maybe the first wall break was to get in and check things out, and the second wall break was to get out or a logistical break to better loot said base.  

The only change I see needing to be a thing is metal walls should take longer to break into than wood ones or require different tools. 

In a nutshell wise words 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Xehara said:

I do not agree with the idea of making a rule to prevent offline raiding. We have players from all over the world so it would limit EU from raiding a base just because its owner is American and so on. Also, homes get broken into when people are asleep or out of town, which is the same concept of breaking into a base when people are offline. If more than ... two walls are broken in the process then I'd find that excessive and consider it griefing. Maybe the first wall break was to get in and check things out, and the second wall break was to get out or a logistical break to better loot said base.  

The only change I see needing to be a thing is metal walls should take longer to break into than wood ones or require different tools. 

You’re talking about the difference between a small house occupied by a few individuals vs a compound occupied by what is for the most part an entire militia of 20. Also when someone breaks into my house if I’m asleep they get shot and die. My compound has 15-20 or so people that actively live there. They’re just different play times. If we are going to go into the entire realism argument the reality of this is you wouldn’t leave your entire compound unguarded. Offline raiding is cancer. Base owners deserve something for all the work they put into their areas, not to be just thrown to the wolves. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Xehara said:

homes get broken into when people are asleep

No one is sleeping through someone sawing a metal chain and beating or metal or wood wall down with a sledge?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Base Building and base defending is fine with me. The time it takes to knock down a wall seems pretty quick to me.

Share this post


Link to post

I would like to bring the conversation back, this is NOT about items, this is NOT about anyone storing high tier loot and it's most definitely NOT about base immunity.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. 

9 hours ago, Colman said:

we only seek a balance of time spent building vs raiding. Does it make much sense to search for hours for all tools and components to build a base and then get raided in 4 minutes?

All this server needs is Balance.

The Issue Is:

Raid Time/Effort vs. Build Time/Effort

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

TrentsTradingEmporium.jpg.45ac039ecb08a1ce1cfb232e5789b9f9.jpg

10 hours ago, Colman said:

Fair, but the current system hinders certain characters achievements. I can't remember the amount of player run & protected shops/markets/stores I've been inside of playing a character and loving those experiences. I think it's a pretty sad thought to never see any of that again, I feel it's a common goal of any large active group.

One of the primary reasons I gave up on setting up a proper trading outpost is due to offline-raiding, that and it's difficult to find a reliable group that's experienced in PVP and can defend the outpost well.

But yeah, offline-raiding has been a pain in my ass. Right now we have the staff team taking going one direction, and then in another.

The staff will support countermeasurements against offline-raiding, but they're also supporting those who would do such things, by limiting the stash mechanic in the game. It's 48 hours now, but I suspect they'll probably remove stashes all together if people keep on going on the witchhunt that stashes are the problem they can't find any military weapons.

Back during the winter mod, I had a trading outpost in Kabanino that worked out pretty well for about 6-7 weeks. Kabanino was like the "Wild West" stories, random guns battles always occured in the street, and there was always loot to be of the picking from the player corpses that laid around. Which made it a good place for business if you're a General Store that sold weapons, attachments, and ammo, along with other things. Now, I was also donated a lot of supplies, thankfully, by random players, if it wasn't for that, the RP wouldn't have continued as long.  Most of the items I had were just basic items, nothing special. But the problem is, before I went to sleep (logout), I would store away basic essentials, such as, repair kits, canned goods, water bottles, tools, and some ammo away in the crates for the night at the back of the store, and I'd log in the next day, everything inside of it stolen.

It was frankly stupid. In realism my character actually slept in the back of the store.

Another problem is offline-raiding, you had players who actually ghosted in my base and storage shed by server-hopping from S2. There's veteran players in this community who have similar attitudes, who focus on GearRP, and get away with what they can. There's a difference between taking what you need, and being greedy. I get there's Lawful Evil characters, but again...we're strictly talking about offline-raiding here...

In regards to the thread, I can stand by anything that improved settlement protection.

  • Restricting time of day of when a raid can occur.
  • Increased time for destruction time with base-objects.

I would like to see it the idea of players being assigned to their constructions, and only when they're online can someone have the ability to raid their base or remove items from their storage containers.

I think we should even go a step forward, and make it where players can lock storage containers, to make it difficult to raid someone's place. I say 15 minutes to pick a lock per container, like on Arma 3 servers.

20190105180355_1.jpg

Edited by CamoRP

Share this post


Link to post

Currently with the rules.

Only way to stop raiding.

Step 1: Don’t build a base

Step 2: Only carry what you need

Step 3: Always be on the move

You become the mobile base. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Kase said:

Currently with the rules.

Only way to stop raiding.

Step 1: Don’t build a base

Step 2: Only carry what you need

Step 3: Always be on the move

You become the mobile base. 

This is just wildly unrealistic for many peoples role play, just because it's how you experience this server does not mean everyone wants experience the same. 

Take the folks at Prison Island for example, they provide solid role play as they hold a position, they definitely have a set way of experiencing their own character role play. 

Not everyone is a cookie cutter role player, we all have our own goals and ambitions. Sorry walking around for hours isn't my idea of good or fun role play. (neither is sitting in a base all day)

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Colman said:

This is just wildly unrealistic for many peoples role play, just because it's how you experience this server does not mean everyone wants experience the same. 

Take the folks at Prison Island for example, they provide solid role play as they hold a position, they definitely have a set way of experiencing their own character role play. 

Not everyone is a cookie cutter role player, we all have our own goals and ambitions. Sorry walking around for hours isn't my idea of good or fun role play. (neither is sitting in a base all day)

You clearly missed the bit where I said "CURRENT WITH THE RULES" because there's no way around base raiding based on your original post unless rules change.

You can't even make a base secure, I've seen bases on the edge of the map that were already raided. Places that you'd think nobody would go looking.

The prison Island folk? There's two groups living there as far as I am aware and they've been fighting each other whenever they come across one another. I don't know where you get the idea of a cookie cutter role player, but if people seriously think they can live in one spot without getting raided? Then they genuinely should be just for the sake of them having that false sense of invincibility.

Nowhere is safe in an apocalypse. You're safer on foot than in a car. You're safer in the woods than in a base.

If you're online when the raiders are on, then at least it's a balanced fight, sure. But offline? It's a gamble if you wake up tomorrow with your base still there and all it's things intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Kase said:

You clearly missed the bit where I said "CURRENT WITH THE RULES" because there's no way around base raiding based on your original post unless rules change.

You can't even make a base secure, I've seen bases on the edge of the map that were already raided. Places that you'd think nobody would go looking.

The prison Island folk? There's two groups living there as far as I am aware and they've been fighting each other whenever they come across one another. I don't know where you get the idea of a cookie cutter role player, but if people seriously think they can live in one spot without getting raided? Then they genuinely should be just for the sake of them having that false sense of invincibility.

Nowhere is safe in an apocalypse. You're safer on foot than in a car. You're safer in the woods than in a base.

If you're online when the raiders are on, then at least it's a balanced fight, sure. But offline? It's a gamble if you wake up tomorrow with your base still there and all it's things intact.

You're clearly missing the point of this thread, this is about finding a way to bring balance to the community. Here we are trying to focus on what will happen in future implementations and making sure such implementations are balanced for all role players. 

17 hours ago, Colman said:

What are the current community thoughts of base building, base defense, raiding tools vs. rarity and offline raiding?

If you would like to share your thoughts, I recommend doing it in a way that you do not belittle others ideas or role play.

 

P.S. If you would like to speak in discord we can, this is no place for bickering.

Edited by Colman

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Colman said:

You're clearly missing the point of this thread, this is about finding a way to bring balance to the community. Here we are trying to focus on what will happen in future implementations and making sure such implementations are balanced for all role players. 

If you would like to share your thoughts, I recommend doing it in a way that you do not belittle others ideas or role play.

 

P.S. If you would like to speak in discord we can, this is no place for bickering.

I'm not belittling anyone's ideas. The rules need to be changed, I in no way approve offline base raids as it provides no RP (in my opinion, unless you know who raided you.)

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Kase said:

Nowhere is safe in an apocalypse. You're safer on foot than in a car. You're safer in the woods than in a base.

This is not realistic at all, which is why this discussion exists. To brainstorm and fix the issue at hand rather than just tell everyone not to have a base.

31 minutes ago, Kase said:

The rules need to be changed, I in no way approve offline base raids as it provides no RP (in my opinion, unless you know who raided you.)

Yes, a change is going to be made eventually, what do you think would be fair and balanced solution we could implement?

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, I suppose this is a bit of miscommunication then and misunderstanding.

I believe the implementation of base raids should only be permitted if Group A has beef with Group B. It's what we did on another server which actually didn't diminish the RP made during these raids and in fact encouraged more RP because now both Groups know who did it and it can create that progression and arc for them to figure out how to handle the situation; diplomacy, counter-attack, moving, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Kase said:

Okay, I suppose this is a bit of miscommunication then and misunderstanding.

I believe the implementation of base raids should only be permitted if Group A has beef with Group B. It's what we did on another server which actually didn't diminish the RP made during these raids and in fact encouraged more RP because now both Groups know who did it and it can create that progression and arc for them to figure out how to handle the situation; diplomacy, counter-attack, moving, etc.

That sounds like it could work, how did the actual implementation work, was it a mod added or a rule added, or maybe something i'm missing?

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Colman said:

That sounds like it could work, how did the actual implementation work, was it a mod added or a rule added, or maybe something i'm missing?

It was a rule: usually the group gives a 24 hour notice and if the other group isnt on. Then its on them but usually they were and would set up extra defenses to avoid issues.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Kase said:

It was a rule: usually the group gives a 24 hour notice and if the other group isnt on. Then its on them but usually they were and would set up extra defenses to avoid issues.

This definitely sounds like it could be a viable option until we can implement something that doesn't rely on the trust of role players.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2019 at 3:18 PM, Kase said:

Currently with the rules.

Only way to stop raiding.

Step 1: Don’t build a base

Step 2: Only carry what you need

Step 3: Always be on the move

You become the mobile base. 

Well when you get robbed you get raided, but yea pretty much

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Aeryes said:

I am on the side of the OP here and I have been making plans to solidify settlements and encourage structures since I've become a Dev last year. There will be steps taken towards making bases more permanent but we all must remember that the people raiding the base are roleplaying too. So the solution to this needs to benefit both parties. I have some good ideas to achieve this and they will be revealed as time goes on and we get closer to our base building goals.

That's good to hear, I wish you could share more...

Share this post


Link to post

I think it is absolutely fine at the moment, granted it is a bit basic but then we can't really demand much from DayZ, base raiding has been and always will be a permanent factor in building a base, and it will remain to be for as long as the game keeps base building in, there could be more creative ways to destroy/construct bases like specific tools for specific things, and hopefully in the future more building models will be added, but in its current state I think it is mighty fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2019 at 3:38 AM, Colman said:

Absolutely! the defense does not forget it's role, without offense would be pointless.

@DaRsnn

No one is against raiding, we just want balance as stated before.

 

Edited by Colman

Share this post


Link to post

Voice your opinions here

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...