Server time (UTC): 2019-08-22, 14:38
Sign in to follow this  
Peril

Star Wars Episode IX Teaser Discussion

So, the teaser trailer for Star Wars Episode IX has dropped today, officially naming the film 

Spoiler

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

There's a lot of small things in this trailer, like Kylo Ren's helmet being repaired, Anakin's lightsaber being in tact, and the laugh at the end from good ole Sheev.  I wanted to open this thread for any Star Wars buffs of the community to discuss the fine details of the trailer, theories for the movie, or anything else Star Wars Episode IX related.

If you haven't seen the trailer:

Man. I’m in a weird spot with Star Wars. On one hand it’s an obvious must see on the grounds it’s Star Wars. On the other hand, I really really was disappointed with episode 8 and the overall direction of the sequel trilogy. 

Like it just felt like there was no clear direction the story was heading in. And episode eight, while not the worst movie I’ve seen, just felt like if someone tried to make a Star Wars movie that was also an SJW art film mixed with Marvel elements. It just wasn’t very good. 

Hopefully JJ Abrams can pick up the pieces here. I have some hope for it because he did a really nice job with episode seven in my opinion. Hopefully the movie carries a somewhat serious tone and manages to salvage what’s left of plot lines that were created in seven and weren’t tarnished by Rian Johnson in eight. 

It's gonna suck just like the last 2 did. 

The death star shot and the Emperors laugh made me hard. That's it.

Let Dave Filoni direct the films....problems will be solved.

I do hope it's better than the last 2 films, not really hard to beat but you never know 

I didnt mind force awakens as it was a start of a story but the last jedi was terrible and thats why im unsure on the whole new direction they are taking.

Ill go and see it because its star wars but apart of me thinks lando is there just to be killed off like the other old generation characters but the rest of the trailer pretty much looks like they went ‘quick fix everything rian johnson destroyed in the last film’

The should have brought george lucas in on this last film as an adviser

1 hour ago, Jasper said:

Man. I’m in a weird spot with Star Wars. On one hand it’s an obvious must see on the grounds it’s Star Wars. On the other hand, I really really was disappointed with episode 8 and the overall direction of the sequel trilogy.

I can agree with this.  I was left kind of unsatisfied by the ending of Episode VIII, though then I remember that it is the middle movie of the trilogy and have a little more hope for the future.  The first time I saw Empire Strikes Back, I had the same feeling of, "Well shit, there was no conclusion or sense of completion, that sucks!" but now it's easily one of my favorite movies in the franchise, so I hope JJ Abrams manages to tie everything together nicely.

22 minutes ago, Peril said:

I can agree with this.  I was left kind of unsatisfied by the ending of Episode VIII, though then I remember that it is the middle movie of the trilogy and have a little more hope for the future.  The first time I saw Empire Strikes Back, I had the same feeling of, "Well shit, there was no conclusion or sense of completion, that sucks!" but now it's easily one of my favorite movies in the franchise, so I hope JJ Abrams manages to tie everything together nicely.

It's like Rian Johnson fucked it up on purpose for the sake of shock factor, never once considering what someone would do next.

Rey's parent plot? Scrapped and trashed, it means nothing now. 

Snoke? Doesn't matter, scrapped and trashed for a meme. 

The Rebellion? Basically a dozen or so people left. Who cares amiright? 

All the seriousness of previous characters and tension? Gone. 

Luke? Yeah let's have the man suckle the teet of an alien cow before he dies. 

Like the cinematography was striking, I liked some of the set pieces and parts of the story were cool, and I liked the sentiment of letting the past go that they had throughout the film, but they absolutely went way, way too far in that direction for sure. Kill the past, sure, but they also killed most of the future in the process of trying to get that point across too. 

The thing is with Empire, there was set up. There was a sense of direction and conclusion to come. Luke was going to train harder, he lost his hand, Han was taken from them, they learned the shocking truth about Vader, and many other plot lines were set up. 

When episode eight ended we had...nothing? Lots of people died, all future plot points aside from the obvious Rey Vs Kylo were scrapped, and that's about it. As someone who was really really into Star Wars for as long as I can remember, that movie just felt like a slap in the face. Like if you told me that episode eight would be so disappointing that I wouldn't even be THAT excited for episode nine, i'd have called you a liar. If this movie can try and salvage the plot, and makes a genuine effort to do so without relying solely on nostalgia or shock factor, i'll be glad. I feel for JJ lmao this has to have been the most stressful film to make period. 

That being said, Rian Johnson should never ever be allowed near any old beloved franchise, let alone Star Wars, ever again. I hate this man and his smug ass attitude about all the well founded criticism over the movie. 

Rmember kids. It doesn't matter if it's a quality film, only if it makes money.

These companies churn out these movies like Tesla makes cars. They are here to make moolah, support small content creators and people who actually put time and care into their original material instead of subsidizing corporate garbage. Yes it was my childhood too, but the dream is dead.