Server time (UTC): 2019-08-23, 01:26
Sign in to follow this  
Hollows

Thread Notes and Potential Bias

So, I was doing as I normally do and browse the Reports section as it is usually mildly entertaining, when I stumbled upon this thread. Now, in the thread the plaintiff @YNW Dusty requested two specific Staff members refrain from posting thread notes (JimRP and @RandyRP), or involving themselves at all in the decision making process when @JimRP chimed in with the following statement:

b69ad3cbc3cb85b7a963063bb6ec82f3.png

I am more or less confused by this sentiment, as Jim basically says Staff does not keep track of friendships, which brings up the question of how are we supposed to know an opinion which adds to a potential verdict isn't biased? If the person is a known group member or friend, why do they still have an opportunity to chime in? I'm not in any way/shape/form accusing either JimRP or RandyRP of being biased, but this is merely a question as to when is the line drawn during verdicting? 

If Randy already stated he is already biased, and handed the torch over to Onyx, why is he freely able to post in this report when it is still a member of the 24th is involved? What has changed during this interaction? I'd like further enlightenment, especially from @Roland if possible.

Thank you for your time,

Hollows

The only way for us to officially "measure" bias is being in the same group, other than that we trust in our staff members to exclude themselves from situations where they might believe their decision making will be biased.

That is correct. I am not able to track all friendships of my staff team and therefore I choose not to enforce anything related to that. Group memberships are very easy to look up, so we enforce that part.

Make no mistake that a staff member still can be accused of bias even if the situation does not involve group members, but for example friends. We just don't actively prevent staff members with that kind of connection to handle reports, as we know that in huge majority of cases they will recognize their bias and distance themselves from the situation on their own.

And then there's also safety net of appeals, where another two GMs need to agree about the verdict. So one would need a lot of friend GMs to accomplish anything bias related. 

Sign in to follow this