Server time: 2019-04-22, 03:18
TryaxReck

How do I Give Emotion Better?

Ive always had trouble with displaying emotion, its hard for me to shout, laugh, or give myself different tones due a fake accent I so often carry with me. It is also hard as I have very thin walls, I don't want my family or neighbors thinking im crazy, laughing and giggling to myself in my room. 

Are there any tips or tricks to displaying emotion?  I would like to make sure my RP is stellar and makes people enjoy their experience on the server, but its hard to really put myself out there consistently or believably without risking a knock on the door from our neighbors to keep it down.

It doesn't take shouting or loud volume to convey emotion, move your mic closer to your mouth perhaps, roleplaying is a development of not only a character but your ability to play that character, practice makes perfect, the best way in my eyes to exercise this would be to interact with people, find out information that would anger/upset/make your character happy and try your best to convey it, if you happen to know the person you are roleplaying with, send them a message after the encounter and ask them for feedback on your roleplay, criticisms and compliments on what you are doing and what you can improve on will help massively.

You can always try using the ingame emotes to shows things like confusion, agreement and more  you've just got to  have a good look at the emote wheel and see what fits in with the scenario. You can always try using text chat for example *Jonah grins under his bandanna* you can do quite a lot of this to convey your characters emotions. 

Just give it your all, don't care what people may think around you. Just say that you're talking with friends! Read the situation and gauge what reaction would be reasonable, Comes with time.

Trust me, I feel the same, I have mostly text roleplayed and am still kind of finding my stride.  My honest advice is just get into it, if you can't fake cry, use a deep sigh instead, use text emotes to spruce it up a bit. 

If you're angry, breathe through your teeth, take deep breath's while sprucing that up with emotes.

Fake laughing is probably the easiest or maybe I just find my own dumb jokes funny xD 

There's no better way all in all though than just getting into it, trying it out bravely and seeing where it lands you. Good luck out there!  

Emotes are going to be your best friend. It doesn't have to be anything monumental, or a novel in the IG text chat, but even something as simple as; *He smiles genuinely.* Will go a long way, as previously mentioned.

I keep my mic pretty close to my mouth too. There might be the odd popping sound, but I find that it makes my voice easier to hear... and therefore it makes emotions easier to hear. 

Apart from that, the rest is just all about practice. A lot of community members have been roleplaying for quite some time now, and therefore have been able to hone their craft so to speak. Another good way to learn is by soaking up how other people roleplay like a sponge. Try to find as many roleplay interactions as you can, and take your time listening to them. 

Practice makes perfect! Besides, most people are pretty understanding as long as you're trying. We've all been there. It takes time to learn. 

Thanks everyone for the advice, I've been doing textRP since I was 12 years old so I can definitely pull something from there. I love textRP, just isnt that good for fast paced action. Big thanks to @JoeyOG for that emote wheel, I'm gonna fiddle around with it, and hotkey some stuff. @MRS Bradtica, im sure i won't have a problem getting people to talk for hours on end (plenty of monologues to go around right? )

@DaRsnn, that IS a good idea. My character always had likes and dislikes but I never wrote them down or REALLY fleshed them out. Thanks so much for that.

@Ouromov Nice to meet a textRPer give his perspective! If you ever wanna practice fake crying with me, we could peel onions on call. I do appreciate the advise, I never thought breathing through your teeth made you sound mad. I tried it, really helped me out.

And last but not least, @CrescentGent. I don't have friends, so looks like your advise is the worst! Hah! You are right however, I shouldnt PLAN out my reaction rather than give general guidelines for my player. 

Thanks you all! Ill be sure to implement all this in my grand strategy of being a believable human being.

11 minutes ago, TryaxReck said:

Thanks everyone for the advice, I've been doing textRP since I was 12 years old so I can definitely pull something from there. I love textRP, just isnt that good for fast paced action. Big thanks to @JoeyOG for that emote wheel, I'm gonna fiddle around with it, and hotkey some stuff. @MRS Bradtica, im sure i won't have a problem getting people to talk for hours on end (plenty of monologues to go around right? )

@DaRsnn, that IS a good idea. My character always had likes and dislikes but I never wrote them down or REALLY fleshed them out. Thanks so much for that.

@Ouromov Nice to meet a textRPer give his perspective! If you ever wanna practice fake crying with me, we could peel onions on call. I do appreciate the advise, I never thought breathing through your teeth made you sound mad. I tried it, really helped me out.

And last but not least, @CrescentGent. I don't have friends, so looks like your advise is the worst! Hah! You are right however, I shouldnt PLAN out my reaction rather than give general guidelines for my player. 

Thanks you all! Ill be sure to implement all this in my grand strategy of being a believable human being.

For sure! Another thing I thought of! Really try flushing out your character page. I find that writing down some things about my character really help. Likes and dislikes sure, but even personality traits, and whatnot. Strengths and weaknesses are a great thing to flush out too! If it helps to write them down and have them in front of you, then definitely do so! I used to do that. 

And before you know it, you'll know your character in and out so well that you won't be able to feel anything BUT confident in portraying emotion with them. 

27 minutes ago, TryaxReck said:

Glad I was able to help you, see you out there roleplayer.