Server time (UTC): 2019-08-23, 01:22
Sign in to follow this  
CrescentGent

Chernarussian Language

Hey there, back at it again.

Was curious as to how people dealt with this. This is more targeted toward those who play Chernarussians and roughly speak the language.

When you mention that you are from Chernaroos, how do you deal with others that speak Chernarussian to you and you're not 100% with the language except a few phrases?

It happened yesterday, I was roaming around looking for RP when I happen upon some peeps, they figure out that my character is Chernarussian and they spit out a Chernarussian phrase, I frantically look at my commonly used Czech phrases but couldn't find it, I just came out with "Maybe you mispronounced it" and tried to move past the language barrier. Any tips?

In general it's a bit weird when people do that, because you never know if people are actually able to speak the language OOCly.

When someone does it to me, I just go //I can't speak the language oocly. 

And then I just emote: *Speaks in chernarussian* Can you repeat?

Just now, Lyca said:

emote: *Speaks in chernarussian* Can you repeat?

Precisely, this is the best way around it.

Chernarussians speak Czech. Use google translate, it can be your best friend for small phrases like “Hello.” “Thanks.” Etc

Yea...I think that might had been me. I didn't try to put you on the spot or anything. That's kinda why I said that I was going to attempt to pronounce it since my character isn't Chernarussian, that way I could leave it up to you if you understood what I said.  But I do apologize if you felt that I pushed you on it.

The phrase was:
Jak se màte? (jak se mahte ) = How are you?

But I do understand your question since someone started speaking fluid french to me since I play a french character, so I had to go OOC and say "I don't speak french" and then started emoting *speaks in french* "text"

1 hour ago, Roman said:

-snip-

Don't feel bad my man, it helps develop the character I wish to portray. Love ya Roman and Gabriel too❤️ 

1 hour ago, Mademoiselle said:

-snip-

1 hour ago, Lyca said:

-snip-

1 hour ago, DaRsnn said:

-snip-

Appreciate the help 😄 

I get this a lot when I meet German or Dutch or French people. They speak some common words and as I speak those languages I try to make an conversation but most of them just know small phrases. They usually emote via text or say ooc that they do not speak the language. 

@CrescentGent

Here is a good guide too that is on the forums that I know a few people have used in the past. 

7 hours ago, RandyRP said:

@CrescentGent

Here is a good guide too that is on the forums that I know a few people have used in the past. 

was going to link that one too xD but that's truly the best guide to somewhat speak the Chernarussian language

13 hours ago, RandyRP said:

@CrescentGent

I approve, best Chernarussian guide you'll find on the internet. If that doesn't help you enough, I'm willing to teach a few things over TS or Discord. That will help you with pronunciation or possibly answer some questions you might have about this beautiful language. 😉 

Why bother actually learning the language when you can just fake it? For me at least, I can fake pretty much any language by mixing together bits and pieces of the language.

For Russian, you have a lot of ky, ov, ch, and ka suffixes.

Now put some consonants in there and presto, fake Russian.

"Kyajavika Bochka Jonas!"

"Darkov Haviky, Dmitri."

This works with any language really, though its better/easier when the language has good prefixes and suffixes. Its how I can make my character mumble incoherent Russian, like some crazy person. It adds a bit to the flavor of the RP. 

Although, keep in mind this WOULD completely throw off someone actually speaking the language, so its best to use this technique only when there arent any other actual speakers of the language within earshot. 

Just my 2 cents, plenty of other ways to get the same result.

(This works for chernarussian too!)

I usually just welcome people in Czech and when they don't catch on I translate it in chat: *he says welcome* and switch to English afterwards. It's a shame, never found anyone else to have a conversation in Czech with, so it's usually me talking in Czech and people responding with ''Ano, ano, very interesting.'' 😄