Server time (UTC): 2019-08-19, 10:55
Sign in to follow this  
Mace

I ain't dead yet

There was no announcement about where or when the broadcast came. It wasn't the sort of thing that one would have been told about in advance. The radio crackled to life on seemingly a random channel to the sound of whipping wind and lapping water. For a few moments there was silence, the sort of quiet that came so rarely without the gormless growling of wandering herds of the infected traversing the countryside and straying too close to someone's safe house. It was peaceful for that one blissful moment in the dead of night, and after the sound of peace and silence had persisted just long enough to be savored the sound of a soft tenor with a southern accent came over the waves.

"Don't know who's listening, if anyone is. If anyone's left. I just want to say: I ain't dead yet. Bundle up folks and stay safe out there if you can hear this."

The man sounded weary, in need of sleep to be sure given the hour, but haggard on the sort of emotional level that was hard to disguise even with such a simple message. As his voice faded the radio was left on for just a moment, the dead air filled with the sense of quiet and serenity before the transmission ended.

“You better not be! Good to hear your voice Mace. Do me a favor and get some rest, you sound like you need it.”

*Noah listens to the radio as he takes his morning patrol around the camp. The tired words of the man catch his ear. He unclips the radio from his belt and presses the PTT.* 

"This is Noah McKaine, I'm one of a few doctors who monitor these frequencies, if you nees anything in the way of medical help sir, we can help. Be it a bullet wound or an infection or even just someone to talk to, we can help out. Contact us on this Freq or on 99.9. We will help, trust me." 

*His Mass accent fades as he released the PTT. He reclips the radio and scans the horizon for helicopter crashes.* 

The channel opened to the sound of a fire crackling, along with the shifting of what sounded like metal cookware. After the few clanks and scrapes the southern tenor began to speak again, his voice ever seeming less burdened, if only a bit.

"It's good to hear that you're still in one piece as well Beth. I'll see about getting in touch later. As for Doctor McKaine, I'll be in contact soon enough, I'll tune in to your frequency and we can chat there." A momentary pause in the man's speech allowed the sound of the scraping metal to be heard more clearly as whatever was cooking was taken off the heat. "Stay safe, both of you, as well as whatever doctors you're friends with. I'm old before my time but I'm still spry enough to keep the old tyrant a few steps behind. Now I've got some breakfast to eat. I'll be in touch soon."

*Noah lifts up his radio as he sorts out the smaller tent at the camp. His Boston accent leaks through the radio waves* 

"Good to hear, keep feed and full on fluids, if you coming on in years we can attempt to meet you. Just gives us a hollar on our Freq, we will sort it out. We don't charge if your wondering, we would only need to document who we worked on is all."

*Noah lets go of the PTT and smiles, thinking about how quickly the man called him Doctor. He laughs at how far he has come from a Lawyer in Novaya..*

The response was mingled with a pleasant chuckle, the speaker apparently entertained by something that the doctor had said.

"Not getting on in years, not physically at least. Stress just tends to age you fast. I'm on my way to a spot where I can feel relatively safe. When I get there I'll send notice on your frequency. It's probably for the best to get looked over and make sure I'm not missing something." The sound of some sort of running water could be heard as he spoke, along with a few quiet wishes of something clearing out brush. "You stay safe until then."

"You know how to get in touch with me Mace."