Server time: 2019-04-19, 17:17
The Nikitin Prodejna - Trade Post Event
TOMORROW | 2019-04-21 17:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 1 day, 23 hours, 42 minutes | Chernogorsk Docks | Peaceful
Drake

Death = PK

PK on death  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right.. the title is abit bold but this is just to see what the community thinks of this as there have been constant complaints about people having hostile RP and so on.

Okay.. Please don't hate me for this but I just want to hear some opinions on what you think of the thought of the rule below being added.

Upon death of your character your character will die and you will not be able to play as them again (PK. Unless you die by a glitch or a game bug.)

First point which could be made is that people who PVP, hostile roleplay will think twice before robbing someone as their characters life is at risk. Therefore there will be less PVP and less hostile acts commited in the community as of something bad happens then they could lose everything.

My second point is that people will take the game alot more seriously when it comes to infected as infected are pretty scary things.. ie.. people will not sprint towards a zombie and start punching it and people will avoid zombies..  as zombies could potentially kill them and their character for good.

Its very early in the morning and I don't know if I've gone crazy thinking about this. Please discuss it below and if you think this should ever be added. Just a thought.

Nah you die fairly to easy especially with those zeds.

Besides there would be more salt etc.

Also those threads are coming up every 4-5 months.

I think people should decide when they wanna permadeath or not. Exception is when you NVFL'ed. 

Posted (edited)

For people that don’t like each other OOC to let it leak even more IC? Haha no thanks dude.

Not everyone gives a shit about their character unfortunately, which means throw away characters that are already around are now even more beneficial, not only that.. if people think others are avoiding them and hiding on the edge of the map now, do this and you won’t see a damn soul.

Edited by Mexi

It's an interesting concept for sure, I just think it might be a tough pill for some to swallow.  

Say you get smacked down by a zombie, then spawn and die of starvation.  Could go through a few characters pretty quickly.  We might get to a point where people put less effort into their backstories (maybe?)

Like I said, interesting idea, one that's been talked about before.  But I think there are people who enjoy creating very in depth characters and would hate to have to have to PK on a random zombie attack (maybe realistic but maybe not all that fun)

2 minutes ago, Lyca said:

I think people should decide when they wanna permadeath or not. Exception is when you NVFL'ed. 

That's a good point, I personally find peoole are running around gunning, initiating Willy nilly and not really taking their characters life seriously.. ie trolling or sprinting into and active gunfight. It will add that element of fear into the server that they could lose their character.

Posted (edited)

This will never go through but I can dream. Yes I love this idea. It worked amazingly well to make hostilities have real impact, groups wars have ends, stories have unexpected turns, more people who were unsure comply to an initiation, and more stories spawning out of dead friends on another community I played at. 

It was awesome. Like to one day make a friend, get close to them IC, and hear on the streets that they were killed by so and so the next day? Or have a long time friend or ally killed, or an entire faction killed off? It was amazing. 

Every single time someone makes an argument against this and say no, they do it for one of two reasons. I’m going to say why I disagree with all of them. 

1) “it could be done maliciously for OOC reasons”

you say this like there couldn’t or wouldn’t be some rules put into place to counter act this. Or you couldn’t report to contest the PK. That’s just willful ignorance. We all know full well that there would be a litany of wiggle room on these. 

2) “My character my choice”

im sorry but this always aggravated me. It’s a simply selfish way of looking at RP. It’s a “my story is more important than anyone else’s and that’s that” kind of attitude. If pk’s On death was a thing, RP would be pushed in such a good direction. 

Dying in a pk setting is supposed to suck. It’s supposed to be brutal. That’s the point. It has an impact. Usually if someone perms here, sorry to say, but it’s rare and when it does happen it’s usually because they got bored of playing that character anyways.

I hate this reason so much.

Like I said it’ll never go through but I can dream.  

Obviosuly this should only apply to player deaths and not zombies or glitches.

Edited by Jasper

1 minute ago, Drake said:

That's a good point, I personally find peoole are running around gunning, initiating Willy nilly and not really taking their characters life seriously.. ie trolling or sprinting into and active gunfight. It will add that element of fear into the server that they could lose their character.

I get that but there will be even more salt in the community.

I was playing on a Permadeath server before and it was not fun. Some people had to make character every few days cause they had to. There was huge amount of salt between the members and people were out to trigger people so they can perma some people they dont like OOC. 

From feedback so far let's say.. zombies are excluded and it's only player related matters.. but feel free to discuss if zombies also counted in this.

Hostile RPers will be severely penalized in terms of character progression , development, and storylines due to how often the die in PvP. I do not think that forcing PK would help anything except promote poor hostile RP from people who realize that their characters are worthless due to how easy it is for them to die/how often they have to keep making these characters.

Also I will always hold to the belief that forcing one's roleplay style on others, as long as the others' form of roleplay is worthwhile and legitimate, will only serve to cause divisions and salt or a population migration away from the server.

Nah mate, hardcore campfire RPer who dabbles in hostile RP. Not a fan of forced PK upon death.

I voted yes but thought this was PK for just NVFL. PK for any death. big fat WTF HELL NO

Its a solid -1 from me.
If we force everyone that dies from infected or other players to PK their characters then the only result will be everyone getting upset about it, and justifiably so.
It ruins the many possibilities of long-term hostile RP and people can only come up with so many characters before it becomes extremely repetitive.

18 minutes ago, AncientPilgrim said:

Hostile RPers will be severely penalized in terms of character progression , development, and storylines due to how often the die in PvP. 

Precisley the point. Makes people pick and choose fights, when to comply, when to fight back, etc. a lot more carefully. 

Posted (edited)

Everyone who is saying no to this also thinks there's an issue with stale RP, RP growing boring, too many hostile groups around, groups being around for too long and braindead PVP and yet...you're saying no to the single solution to literally all of those. Stop focusing on how your precious character graphics you worked so hard on and all the actor images you spent five minutes cropping and adding borders to and  songs added to character pages and think of the bigger picture for five minutes. 

-Stale RP 

This would be resolved by constantly having stories ending reguarly and spawning new stories as a result each and every time.

-Endless wars

PK's with the enforcement that you can't make a carbon copy character? Boom. Done. This was literally done perfectly in another Dayz roleplaying community and basically no issues arose from it as a result. Groups came and went, either leaving on their own and forming a new one to pursue new goals or literally BEING WIPED IN FIGHTS and dying off. Can you name literally one time that ever happened on DayzRP? A group legitimately dying off in a massive firefight that was the culmination of lots of roleplay and previous skirmishes? People talked about it in game for months. I cannot think of anything that comes even close that happened here like that. Nothing. 

-Braindead PVP and stale hostile RP

They would have to pick and choose their moments more carefully. They couldn't just run and gun everywhere. They couldn't just, as some put it, dogbrain day in and day out every single day. There would be tangible consequences for choosing a bad time to attack or not planning properly ahead of time. 

Please someone explain to me how this would not drive RP at all. I really can't wrap my head around how someone people think that not only would this not push RP but it would in fact hurt it. 

Edited by Jasper

No. And if you think that this would help curb pvp because people don't want to make a new character, you fail to realize that for some people it's real easy to simply say "Here lies Erik Livingston, god rest his soul, and long live his long lost brother Aaron Livingston, who is like him in every way"

I think people who engage in a lot of hostile rp should be at risk of PK, or groups who engage in a  lot of big fights. Other than that I think no.

Just now, Zanaan said:

No. And if you think that this would help curb pvp because people don't want to make a new character, you fail to realize that for some people it's real easy to simply say "Here lies Erik Livingston, god rest his soul, and long live his long lost brother Aaron Livingston, who is like him in every way"

Which is why you guys should put some extra leg work in and enforce something to prevent this. These are all preventable things. Another community that had a good population at the time (Around 50-60 consistently for a few months) was able to do this and police it just fine with far less staff and far less experienced staff at that. 

10 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Which is why you guys should put some extra leg work in and enforce something to prevent this. These are all preventable things. Another community that had a good population at the time (Around 50-60 consistently for a few months) was able to do this and police it just fine with far less staff and far less experienced staff at that. 

So your idea is that staff should devote their time to monitoring each time a person dies, and determine if the death was a legitimate death or one due to a bug. Then to add to it deal with the increased appeal burden from people believing there deaths to be improper. Oh not to mention dealing with the consequences of deaths being brought up in reports as being caused by other players invalidly, further aggravated by an uptick in reports that would cause. To which I will point you to a simple number

691 unique players joined our game servers

Let's say each of those players died an average of 2-3 times in a week. That is 1382-2073 deaths to sort through. Would you want to do that 'extra leg work' on a volunteer basis?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Zanaan said:

So your idea is that staff should devote their time to monitoring each time a person dies, and determine if the death was a legitimate death or one due to a bug. Then to add to it deal with the increased appeal burden from people believing there deaths to be improper. Oh not to mention dealing with the consequences of deaths being brought up in reports as being caused by other players invalidly, further aggravated by an uptick in reports that would cause. To which I will point you to a simple number

691 unique players joined our game servers

Let's say each of those players died an average of 2-3 times in a week. That is 1382-2073 deaths to sort through. Would you want to do that 'extra leg work' on a volunteer basis?

Get more staff? A staff group for it? Also, I strongly doubt you'd see EVERYONE die a week, let alone 2-3 times a week. That's a highly generous statistic. 

The point of the rule is less deaths, less pvp that means nothing, etc. You'd be seeing a drastic downward trajectory of deaths per person per week if this was hypothetically implemented. 

Edited by Jasper

1 minute ago, Jasper said:

Get more staff? A staff group for it? Also, I strongly doubt you'd see EVERYONE die a week, let alone 2-3 times a week. That's a highly generous statistic. 

I said an average. Keep in mind there are people who die several times a day, daily. They kind of offset the statistic. But no, I will not advocate adding 20 new staff for the sole purpose of this suggestion. Nor would we be able to retain them from the amount of burnout this would cause.

Just now, Zanaan said:

I said an average. Keep in mind there are people who die several times a day, daily. They kind of offset the statistic. But no, I will not advocate adding 20 new staff for the sole purpose of this suggestion. Nor would we be able to retain them from the amount of burnout this would cause.

Why not have it set to auto PK a character upon player caused death, then have an appeal forum for that? Your statistic only works if LITERALLY everyone that ever died on every single one of their deaths tried to appeal it. 

Being PK on death won't solve the issues in the community right now. People will make carbon copies of their old character and throw them to be sacrificed to the PvP gods for the lulz in a cool "arpee" montage. DayZRP sure could take some hints from other communities where these problems don't exists because of simple solutions. Namely, pking if the death was properly roleplayed, members not being allowed the same kind of characters over and over, not being allowed to join the same group with a new character, not being able to bench a character who is involved in hostilities just so you can avoid repercussions, etc...

7 minutes ago, Zanaan said:

I'll be staff boss. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Why not have it set to auto PK a character upon player caused death, then have an appeal forum for that? Your statistic only works if LITERALLY everyone that ever died on every single one of their deaths tried to appeal it. 

Then it would mean people getting constantly getting kicked for not having an alive character, resulting in a large decrease in server population as every time people died they wouldn't be able to reconnect until creating a new character page, which by your logic we would then have to vet to ensure it's not simply a copy and paste from a previous character.

1 hour ago, Lyca said:

basically what she said honestly. -1 from me a lot of things are so oocly driven lately it'd just lead to even more drama then what's already been going on.