Server time (UTC): 2019-08-23, 10:01
Sign in to follow this  
Zero

Remove buried stashes, increase barrel & tent spawns

Buried Stashes  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I propose that we remove buried stashes entirely and instead increase the spawning of other storage items such as sea chests, civilian tents, military tents, and barrels. The recent experiment to decrease the stash time to 48 hours hasn’t seemed to work that well. The loot economy is still screwed. 

I like the idea of buried stashes but they are too easily abused. I had three stashes. Each held hold two automatic rifles + mags & ammo. This doesn’t even include stashed weapons in barrels or tents. All it takes for someone to keep their precious gear is to visit the stash every other day. (Which myself and other group members did.) eventually we got tired of it and let everything despawn but other players that just horde have more patience. 

With other storage items they are easier to find. Buried stashes are much more difficult to find unless you get lucky or spend all day crawling on the forest floor. 

Edited by Zero

Totally agree, being honest i missed the whole stashes being a thing, never saw why they're needed, just use barrels or tents.

I can 100% get behind this idea. Although I think buried stashes are really cool, if they're only going to last 48 hours then just increase the spawn rates for items that are more easily found.

Could there be a way to keep the stashes, but remove the ability to bury the weapons?

I'd hate to remove mechanics from the game, as we have so few of them actually working nicely. While I agree stashes are too OP, I don't think they are the sole blame for the "loot issues". So I've gone ahead and experimented a bit with a new stash look which might make it easier to find without having to crawl around on the ground for hours.

This is all WIP so any feedback to make it better or worse is welcome, of course, this is only an attempt to keep it in but if the community feels it should be removed I guess Roland has the final say.

Spoiler

20190406175437_1.jpg.91dc881d4cdaccb36a1bec481b0fb89c.jpg20190406175445_1.jpg.d92fbfd8c8bae316b7385eda23daac88.jpg

Spoiler

20190406175224_1.jpg.952229b1f687a943f8f346314dbb0e8d.jpg20190406175400_1.jpg.5b47b1de27f2b86df56ba3a7dfc987d7.jpg20190406175237_1.jpg.d20409ca20e4e4aa8aa9f914cd49f6e9.jpg20190406175343_1.jpg.1ca61d239741cba5b74ce1d8f66f490e.jpg

I hope they do remove them so we can see if it actually changes anything. I have a feeling this whole "no guns" problem wont change.

16 minutes ago, Misho said:

-snip-

Not a bad shout. It doesn't address the problem of people marking a spot in the woods that is usually not travelled and dumping their guns there, but for the fellas who like to bury their kit close to home or cheekily in a town, its a meta shift.

4 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Not a bad shout. It doesn't address the problem of people marking a spot in the woods that is usually not travelled and dumping their guns there, but for the fellas who like to bury their kit close to home or cheekily in a town, its a meta shift.

Barrels can be used the same way if you put them out in some backwater forest nobody goes to, this is an attempt to make it visible from some distance at least, if you pay attention. I personally don't think that stashes are the reason for the "loot issue" but since it's become such a huge deal, it's either nerf or remove it seems.

We would have to nerf all storage in the case of removing hoarding since barrels hold a hell lot more than a stash and are equally easy to hide in the forest imo.

2 minutes ago, Misho said:

Barrels can be used the same way if you put them out in some backwater forest nobody goes to, this is an attempt to make it visible from some distance at least, if you pay attention. I personally don't think that stashes are the reason for the "loot issue" but since it's become such a huge deal, it's either nerf or remove it seems.

I've been barrel hunting and tent fishing in these parts for years, ain't no tree gonna stop me.

Real talk though you make a valid point, though if I remember correctly, the transport of barrels has been made more difficult due to the inability to run while holding them. Not an insurmountable obstacle but definitely not as easy as burying a stash somewhere in the dirt filled land of Chernarus, but also easier to find, if you know what kind of tree clusters to look for.

Ye remove ehm

Just leads to alot of hoarding

How about remove burying dry bags and keep the ability to bury chests? Chests are rare enough (if not then make them rare) and heavy enough to where if you find one and actually get it to the spot you want, the hassle will worth the reward of having a virtually un-findable(???) Stash.

Actually, guys, we are looking at this the wrong way! Instead of burying them, we look to higher places! Rope + dry bag + tree and we can have tree stashes! Hide your florescent yellow dry bags in the trees!

(As memey as this sounds, I think it would actually be cool)

With all these votes to remove it, again, people are focusing on the premise of military gear, more so specially Assault Rifles, being stashed away.

I rather our DayZRP devs make it where these weapons spawn everywhere (within reason), like they did in 0.62 at Tisy military base than remove a useful game mechanic such as stashes who had many more uses and advantages than just storing away guns they so hold dear so much.

I feel like the majority I am reading the replies of in these kind of threads, are all focused on gear, and not roleplay.

...And yeah, don't use that argument on me, because I for one, and I am sure a few others, use stashes as a method to deal with all those who use OOC intent (or GearRP) by offline raiding bases or public settlements. There's practically no protection or settlement rules currently. Other forms of storage are rare to obtain, or to obvious to place nearby a tradehub. I can't rely on transfering items in cars, because cars game mechanics are reliable enough right now, that and everyone is obsessed with stealing or tampering with them when they're in public view.

Stashes are great for hiding useful items and components that every player may need or want, for example ducttape. I may stash 10 rolls of ducttape in a bag.

If I want to run a successful trading business, or want to know that tomorrow my ducttape/nails has a high likelihood to be there tomorrow when I login to repair my settlement, I will feel more confident getting online and creating something for other players to enjoy.

I agree with you Camo people are focusing wrong but we can't really just explode the gunspawns now.

0.62 used a different mechanic for loot and persistance didnt work. If we were to do that now it would oversaturate the economy and make an impact on server performance, loot is very hard to balance imo.

1 minute ago, Misho said:

I agree with you Camo people are focusing wrong but we can't really just explode the gunspawns now.

0.62 used a different mechanic for loot and persistance didnt work. If we were to do that now it would oversaturate the economy and make an impact on server performance, loot is very hard to balance imo.

I feel like this is one of the situations, where I hope I can trust Roland's decision on what to do here. We all know he makes decisions in favor of what he thinks is best, as well as reviewing polls and what community members have to say, which lead to the compromise of reducing stash mechanics to 2 days before despawn. Which I could have lived with, but then again since this change occurred I haven't done any trading.

Reading this thread is honestly upsetting me. I have nothing against any of these players, hell I like most of them. But the amount of focus towards, along with their obsessions with assault rifles and military gear is simply aggravating. It's like they're out on a witch hunt, and need to point fingers at everything they think is causing them grief about the gear they seek.

Hey! We agree on something for once! Yes. Remove them. /Yeet them from existence. They add nothing except incentive to hoard gear and screw the loot economy for the rest of us. 

Posted (edited)

I'd rather be able to stash a lot of things above ground than a few things underground. Remove underground stashes or just the large ones and increase the amount of storage containers.

Especially since Clyde farms alot and the only way to store it would be to use underground stashes. Who the hell digs a vegetable out of the ground only to put it back into the ground to store it?

Edited by Finn

Keep everything the way it is..

I want them gone. But to be devil's advocate and throw the secret stash lovers a bone, how about reducing their inventory space so they can't store weapons in there? 

2 hours ago, The Traveler said:

I want them gone. But to be devil's advocate and throw the secret stash lovers a bone, how about reducing their inventory space so they can't store weapons in there? 

I honestly would be fine with this, this was literally the first thing I suggested when the "stashes" topic were brought up weeks ago and caused the reduction to 48 hours.

I said, why don't we just remove drybags and seachests from being buried? That way protector cases, cooking pots, waterproof bags, and other smaller items can be stored.

Posted (edited)

I don’t think this is a good idea at all, you want to remove stashes but then add more barrels and tents which can hold more guns in them? That’s just going to create more of a problem because then you’ll have more space to hoard guns. Sorry I just don’t think this is going to fix the problem, only going to make it worse. Not to mention we should all be focusing on roleplay and not worrying about there being enough military grade weapons for everyone. That’s my my opinion though.

Edited by Username