Jump to content
Server time: 2019-04-22, 03:17
YO_MIKE

Base griefing is ruining rp

Ooc protection  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

We all know that their are a group(idk who) of people who consistently destroy any rp hubs that pop up around the map. This is getting ridiculous, and its impossible to catch them because they get on when the server is dead. This need to stop. Its actively hurting the rp because it forces people to build their settlements in hidden areas where no one has a decent chance of finding them. Everyone new fun rp settlement that pops up gets griefed or destroyed. What's the point of even trying to rp a settlement, because as soon as it becomes popular it's gone. 

I propose a new settlement rule system needs to be introduced. I am not talking about single man, or dynamic group bases. I talking about actual rp settlements open to (almost) all. For example, @Mademoiselle shouldn't have to deal with people griefing her settlement while everyone is offline when she is simply trying to set up a place for medical rp. Settlements under these new rules should have to be made by official groups, or maybe group ideas, and must not be some sort of locked fortress but a public settlement. I cant fully flesh this out at the moment because I'm running late but what do you guys think?

Should registered public settlements have protection such as indestructible wall.

 

Edit: since the logs have been fixed, the problem is fixed. I mainly made this to address the recent ramp up of griefing. Moving forward their is now a reliable coarse of action

Edited by YO_MIKE

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, YO_MIKE said:

We all know that their are a group(idk who) of people who consistently destroy any rp hubs that pop up around the map. This is getting ridiculous, and its impossible to catch them because they get on when the server is dead. This need to stop. Its actively hurting the rp because it forces people to build their settlements in hidden areas where no one has a decent chance of finding them. Everyone new fun rp settlement that pops up gets griefed or destroyed. What's the point of even trying to rp a settlement, because as soon as it becomes popular it's gone. 

I propose a new settlement rule system needs to be introduced. I am not talking about single man, or dynamic group bases. I talking about actual rp settlements open to (almost) all. For example, @Mademoiselle shouldn't have to deal with people griefing her settlement while everyone is offline when she is simply trying to set up a place for medical rp. Settlements under these new rules should have to be made by official groups, or maybe group ideas, and must not be some sort of locked fortress but a public settlement. I cant fully flesh this out at the moment because I'm running late but what do you guys think?

Should registered public settlements have protection such as indestructible walls?

This is already against the rules, and the reason they aren't being caught is because building logs are down. Once thats fixed and logs show who damages walls again, it will stop. As someone that is in that group, I would be extremely hesitant to agree that it was griefing, based on what I know.

 

Settlemants do not need rule armor any more then they already have. People have been banned for griefing when the logs show that it was done, and while it is a difficult thing to prove without logs, it'll get easier once they are back.

 

Devils Castle where the Revenants are, that got griefed. We got broken into, its a big difference.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree griefing is bad but allowing people to have fortresses that cannot be broken into is not the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rover said:

This is already against the rules, and the reason they aren't being caught is because building logs are down. Once thats fixed and logs show who damages walls again, it will stop. As someone that is in that group, I would be extremely hesitant to agree that it was griefing, based on what I know.

 

Settlemants do not need rule armor any more then they already have. People have been banned for griefing when the logs show that it was done, and while it is a difficult thing to prove without logs, it'll get easier once they are back.

 

Devils Castle where the Revenants are, that got griefed. We got broken into, its a big difference.

Their are multiple settlements like the one in Rogovo that gave out free food that got completely destroyed, leaving no trace of its existence. Logs are broken we all know, and unless it's getting fixed any time soon their needs to be another alternative.

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

I agree griefing is bad but allowing people to have fortresses that cannot be broken into is not the way to go.

Like I said in my post personal bases wouldn't be included.  Idk if it's possible to cherry pick the actual rp settlements from the bases. I'm not talking about a server wide indestructible wall patch

Edited by YO_MIKE

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, YO_MIKE said:

Their are multiple settlements like the one in Rogovo that gave out free food that got completely destroyed, leaving no trace of its existence. Logs are broken we all know, and unless it's getting fixed any time soon their needs to be another alternative.

Honestly, no there really doesn't need to be. You are never going to be able to rule armor, mechanics implement, or otherwise thwart the manchildren that feel the need to grief. They will find ways to do it; If you make walls indestructible they'll just go around and wall up all the wells in the server or something like that.

 

Any other form of fix is too intensive on staff to be viable, and would require manual intervention. Its just like most things on the server, you'll need to live with it until its fixed.

Share this post


Link to post

There's logs for it, no?

Put up a report, talk to staff. If there's extensive damage for no reason slap them with a report bc i'm fairly certain ti can be traced. No reason for any changes.

Share this post


Link to post

Greifing is shit

But bases or camps should be able to break into 

 

If its litterly just grief theres logs and report it

Share this post


Link to post

This will all be fixed when the logs are brought back, all we have to do is wait and it'll fix itself 

(also i accidentally voted for the first option, meant to vote for the second one) 

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Roland said:

 

  • Upwell structures in EVE Online - player created stations and outposts can only be attacked during a few hours of the day which defenders choose.

 

But most of the player structures in eve could be attacked whenever/after proper setup by attackers and the defences of the structures would go offline after the fuel to power them runs out.....usually after X amount of hours or days making it a predictable affair for the defenders.

Honestly I'm fine with a test run of something along those lines for a period. If you have your settlement 'registered' ( meaning its been announced to people/possibly have its own settlement page on the forums showing its location, what services it offers, etc... ) A group can announce an attack and after X amount of hours or days, they will be allowed to attack the settlement. Only one attack can happen over the course of this time with a small cool down period. This would encourage larger battles as opposed to 3 man groups trying to attack. It would push groups that have like minded goals in attack the settlement to work together or have to wait in line for their turn. Groups can have a set number of 'raids' on settlements in a week to avoid people from dogbraining the shit out of settlements and would make the attacks more coordinated and event like rather then everyone in the group randomly deciding to go attack a place for shits and giggles. 

+1 needs a good look into this idea.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Roland said:

Logs were fixed with 1.02 patch released yesterday and new destruction timers should be in, vastly increasing the time needed to destroy a base.

Invulnerability could be done, I certainly don't want to enforce things through rules like we did in the past with group settlements. It needs to be automatic and a part of the in game mechanics that restrict you from destroying walls. For example I like the idea of scheduled attack hours - many good online games use it:

  • War of Emperium in Ragnarok Online - guilds fight to take control of a castle. The castle can only be attacked during scheduled hours, 3 times a week.
  • Upwell structures in EVE Online - player created stations and outposts can only be attacked during a few hours of the day which defenders choose.

This would prevent breaking and entering into seemingly empty base while the base owners are offline. It would allow base owners to focus their online presence to these hours to be able to defend their bases on fair terms.

It would be very easy to code a feature like that (just a check what time it is in the code that handles destruction).

 

I like the idea of this, but it brings around another question:

 

The code preventing a wall from being destroyed will in no way stop people from boosting over the walls, or just sprinting in through the open gate to bait defenders into initiating on them. I've yet to see someone build something that someone clever didn't find a way to get into without going through the walls! Would the idea of making the area only attackable during certain points of the day be enforced with other methods, or is the idea more to keep the walls/etc from being broken/griefed?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Logs were fixed with 1.02 patch released yesterday and new destruction timers should be in, vastly increasing the time needed to destroy a base.

Invulnerability could be done, I certainly don't want to enforce things through rules like we did in the past with group settlements. It needs to be automatic and a part of the in game mechanics that restrict you from destroying walls. For example I like the idea of scheduled attack hours - many good online games use it:

  • War of Emperium in Ragnarok Online - guilds fight to take control of a castle. The castle can only be attacked during scheduled hours, 3 times a week.
  • Upwell structures in EVE Online - player created stations and outposts can only be attacked during a few hours of the day which defenders choose.

This would prevent breaking and entering into seemingly empty base while the base owners are offline. It would allow base owners to focus their online presence to these hours to be able to defend their bases on fair terms.

It would be very easy to code a feature like that (just a check what time it is in the code that handles destruction).

If logs are fixed then this is no longer a problem in my eyes. I have witness a ramp up in griefing lately, and was unaware that the logs were fixed. 

Edited by YO_MIKE

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Roland said:

Logs were fixed with 1.02 patch released yesterday and new destruction timers should be in, vastly increasing the time needed to destroy a base.

Invulnerability could be done, I certainly don't want to enforce things through rules like we did in the past with group settlements. It needs to be automatic and a part of the in game mechanics that restrict you from destroying walls. For example I like the idea of scheduled attack hours - many good online games use it:

  • War of Emperium in Ragnarok Online - guilds fight to take control of a castle. The castle can only be attacked during scheduled hours, 3 times a week.
  • Upwell structures in EVE Online - player created stations and outposts can only be attacked during a few hours of the day which defenders choose.

This would prevent breaking and entering into seemingly empty base while the base owners are offline. It would allow base owners to focus their online presence to these hours to be able to defend their bases on fair terms.

It would be very easy to code a feature like that (just a check what time it is in the code that handles destruction).

Oooooh. I really love this idea. People RP that they sleep in their bases anyways, so it would make sense a bit. Of course we would have to register hours on the forums some how so people could see when they could attack it? 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Roland said:

This would prevent breaking and entering into seemingly empty base while the base owners are offline. It would allow base owners to focus their online presence to these hours to be able to defend their bases on fair terms.

Even so, not everyone should be online 24/7 since they have real life. For example my group is mainly EU and have work / families / school / college to go too. It’s unfair to know people break in whilst others are offline asleep or doing IRL stuff as it ruins the fun for not only the people who made the camp but the ones in it. Because people have to fix the broken areas and that takes their focus away from RP to use walls to keep them safe.

Luckily logs are working so this can prevent the situations of griefing and unknown raids to happen.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...