Server time: 2019-04-22, 22:57
Jasper

People Hiding Is Killing The Server...

What needs to happen  

278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Jasper said:

Correct. I don't even want a poll on that shit. If they deem that a War rule exactly like @Kase suggested is good for the server and the best thing to have, I want them to fucking implement it. Because we all know that poll would get skewed by people who want to keep things going in the same direction where they can just war, war, war, war, with zero downsides to it aside from running up from the coast. 

I truly think that if there was a disband or PK rules regarding group wars, things would be much better. 

I relish the hell outta the prospect of territorial wars to determine control of resources and overall dominance with a nice faction map with areas of control and all that. Problem is we can't have multi group mega alliances or all the PvP ready people in 3 different groups.

1 minute ago, Zero said:

Judging by how much certain people bitch about the survival mechanics of the game like sickness, hypothermia, and hyperthermia I doubt they would like namalsk. The map is going to have snow, snow storms, and other environmental issues that chernarus doesn’t have. Dev even said he wants Namalsk to be a survival hell hole. 

I am one of those people that bitch. I bitch because I have to deal with being in boring ass Chernarus with the same broken ass mechanics as before along with scuffed survival mechanics. If that stuff is on Namalsk and it's implemented well and is actually cool and makes sense, along with decent visuals and a new map to experience, I would welcome those survival mechanics with open arms. 

6 minutes ago, Oisin said:

Kinda hard to do when you get attacked and griefed near daily 😄 Especially if you're a smaller group 

Then stop trying to make a base, do something else to try to get enjoyment out of this server and this game. If someone griefed you report it and move on. If you can't defend your base try to RP out deals with other groups so they'll protect you. I'm in a small group and have been having a lot of fun the past week RPing with the people I've ran into. The Jackals wiped a majority of us multiple times and instead of complaining about it we got back on and tried again. You might fail, but get back on and fail again.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, California said:

-Snip-

I don't know what happened to you guys but V1 was actually a threat. They spooked me enough that whenever somebody asked if my ruski charecter was chernorussian, he dropped his pride and lied. The only interaction I got with you guys, or have even heard about, is somebody gets gooned by 10 people, ran through the woods for 20 minutes, and then executed. I mean that's fun and all, but to counter that it seems you just need to run with more then 2 people and you will never get taken. The RP is alright in between the taken and execution, but really doesn't further anything.  Also to touch on the war idea, I made a thread about it back in the day. Never really went anywhere tho.

Edited by SeversonRP

4 minutes ago, Major said:

I relish the hell outta the prospect of territorial wars to determine control of resources and overall dominance with a nice faction map with areas of control and all that. Problem is we can't have multi group mega alliances or all the PvP ready people in 3 different groups.

Honestly if it weren't for the fact that birds of a feather flock together, having a territorial control map would be really cool and it wouldn't take all that much effort for us to do. 

Like I said earlier, I support War and Settlement systems as a step forward. It's unfortunate that none of the things mentioned so far though, will completely amend the issues we have in the community as far as RP, PVP, etc. 

I don't feel it's solely the people "hiding" who have to foot all the blame. As many have stated, it's more of a badrp situation being faced, provided by both sides really. I don't think that's the only issue though.

I bring that up though because the poll is definitely skewed to do just that, blame only the victims/hostages (Hence why I commented "Other"). That and it ties into what I think is lacking in the server.

There is no give and take in RP anymore. Which, keep reading, I feel both side of "hiders" and hostile rpers are to blame.

With hostile RP, there is only take currently. Now some dynamic groups I gotta tip my hats off to, for providing "unique" hostile RP.

I put unique in quotations only because it seems it's all been done before and everyone has found their nice little niche to stick to and just conform with. Which isn't bad persay, but I see very little originality on the server now. I think the retiree group is the most original thing I've seen since the new lore. Which gave me a hearty chuckle.
Lack of originality is a problem in itself to be discussed later though.

All that aside, what the people "hiding" have taken, is the fucking RP itself. Which is really shitty, because it's a my way or the highway approach. It can be seen as that at least, but I think it's a culmination of years of being at the other end of the gun that's given people a healthy  distrust. Cause come on, realistically, you see a group of super soldiers or bandits with automatics coming at you, you're gonna fuck off.

Solution time?: Compromise with one another. Your RP isn't better than the other parties. It's BOTH parties that make an enjoyable experience. That's what we keep forgetting.
Right now we just see both parties butting head from the start.

I doubt a specific suggestion will alleviate or fix this issue though. It's a mindset we've all dug ourselves into. At least from what I have seen...

TL;DR: The green text.

Just now, Squillium said:

Then stop trying to make a base, do something else to try to get enjoyment out of this server and this game.

Doing that right now lad 😛

But the original concept of the group im in was to offer a sort of 'safe haven' hence why we tried making a base, being neutral etc etc. 

2 minutes ago, Squillium said:

If you can't defend your base try to RP out deals with other groups so they'll protect you. I'm in a small group and have been having a lot of fun the past week RPing with the people I've ran into.

Also tried doing this too :3 Eventually it just gets tiring so we are trying to come up with new ideas and do different shit. 

Fully agree with you mate, just pointing out that having a group of 5 or so people, or less than, makes life alot harder trying to hold your own. Even if you make deals/alliances with other groups. 

Being one of those people that initiates on everyone, even people that are nice to you and you have no reason to rob them other than the chance they won't comply, is just as bad as playing a super soldier. Your character has no depth. I can't even start to mention the amount of times I came across this while in The Brokers. People big dicking and acting like they're character is tough as nails and refuse to negotiate because they're "so much more powerful". Like dude, shut up and take an L. It's actually fun to lose. It creates an enemy.

Oh, and non-hostile players, if your base is being raided for gear, how about you say 

"Sirs, please stop robbing us. We will offer you ___ rounds of ammunition per week and keep you posted on what types of groups are out there if you leave us alone."

Simple stuff.

4 minutes ago, Major said:

This is actually a solid idea that could lead somewhere new for DayZRP.

Have key areas on the map that are associated with particular perks given to the group that  controls them. 

Altar Radio station would give the controlling group access to server wide messages ( The same system that high level donators get ) 

NWAF gives a lower war/settlement attack bonus 

NEAF gives higher standing with the Staff Trader factions

The possibilities are varried and simply need some good idea's to be added into it. With an idea like this and the proper tuning, it would give meaning to a group holding down an area and a greater emphasis on group alliances and attacking/defending your claimed land. Of course attacks to claim control over an area would be partially staged, pretty much having one group state they will attack on X day as to have the biggest turnout from the attackers and defenders. But whoever wins would claim the territory and whatever perks go with it. Mixing this with modified settlement attack rules, could lead to more public settlements and player gatherings.

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

This is actually a solid idea that could lead somewhere new for DayZRP.

Have key areas on the map that are associated with particular perks given to the group that  controls them. 

Altar Radio station would give the controlling group access to server wide messages ( The same system that high level donators get ) 

NWAF gives a lower war/settlement attack bonus 

NEAF gives higher standing with the Staff Trader factions

The possibilities are varried and simply need some good idea's to be added into it. With an idea like this and the proper tuning, it would give meaning to a group holding down an area and a greater emphasis on group alliances and attacking/defending your claimed land. Of course attacks to claim control over an area would be partially staged, pretty much having one group state they will attack on X day as to have the biggest turnout from the attackers and defenders. But whoever wins would claim the territory and whatever perks go with it. Mixing this with modified settlement attack rules, could lead to more public settlements and player gatherings.

The parts of that that have been attempted in the past have ended poorly due to stagnation or otherwise. We were going to do this type of war between the VDV and CDF at the start but most didn't want to do that.

But me and Phatal would be super down for that.

5 minutes ago, Oisin said:

Fully agree with you mate, just pointing out that having a group of 5 or so people, or less than, makes life alot harder trying to hold your own. Even if you make deals/alliances with other groups. 

Absolutely agree with this. Any brain dead monkey can run around with 15+ people and shit on everyone they see. It's harder but worth it if you can be an influential and interesting group without relying on massive amounts of people.

Just now, Major said:

The parts of that that have been attempted in the past have ended poorly due to stagnation or otherwise. We were going to do this type of war between the VDV and CDF at the start but most didn't want to do that.

But me and Phatal would be super down for that.

Perhaps start small and slowly work up to bigger and fulll implementation should all go somewhat well? Naturally thi sort of thing is a two way street, without support from the staff side, it collapses, without the players backing it and actually rolling with it to see things progress, it collapses. Its a fragile thing for sure, but if done with care it could add a whole new dynamic for the server and bring back some good days. 

This is certainly not the solution to the whole 'player hiding' thing, honestly that bit needs to be solved both on a player level and on a rules level. Nothing is currently wrong with hostilities or how initiation rules work. Its a lawless place in Chernarus and it should feel like it. What should be somewhat more protected is the settlements that people open to help, to trade and whatnot. Settlements have always been a touchy subject on DayZRP and for good reason. Early on they were fortresses made from indestructible walls that attackers had to bash themselves against until they depleted the defenders within. Even if you were a bystander you were not safe as one wrong word to a camp representative could give them grounds to simply kill you on the spot. I think its high time we look at Settlements and CR rights once more. 

Settlements, once approved, should be made public to all on a listing on the forums. Here it would act as an IC advertisement of sorts for people to visit. Along with this, it would act as a place for attackers to state their intentions. This could act as a IC radio message, a flier left on the walls of the compound, etc. Doing this provides a middle ground for people who have grievances with the camp holders. Along with this, it would be the place for opposing groups to post their attack messages or war declarations, stating they will attack the settlement if demands are not bet, etc... and allow the defenders to rally a suitable defense. This lowers offline raiding and a number of other unreasonable factors ( Such as attacking when everyone is 'asleep' ) that really chafe at the IC possibility of such things.  CR rights would be very minimal, though I do believe the ability to initiate on troublemakers inside the settlement WITHOUT the troublemakers group/friends receiving KoS rights should be added to stop hardcore baiting of the CR's. 

26 minutes ago, G19RP said:

Interesting, I'll take this moment to defend myself since you want to overly generalize what occurred. You are the leader of a very well known group, we find you with your friends in the middle of the night, we identify you and when we try to take you hostage so we can give you good hostile RP, you try running away from 5 of us at gunpoint. If we want to point fingers lets explain the WHOLE situation. As for your second part, that is simply untrue. Perhaps no one wants peace with your group because there is simply no benefit for such. You guys do not typically instigate fights, so why would groups be pushed to reach out for peace with you? When all you become is a thorn if someone brushes across you, then you need to become aggressive in order to have bargaining chips. Since I have returned I have attempted to orchestrate deals and I have successfully orchestrated deals with a plethora of players and groups. I'm not going to list out the 500+ interactions we have had that resulted in no hostilities or PVP simply because it would take too long, but the point still stands. The problem lies within the repetitiveness of the RP currently. There are no consequences for terrible IC actions other than PVP. People absolutely refuse to PK, which stunts all progression at that end, and then (in our experience thus far) when we reach out to make deals, we are literally met with "Other groups want ammo, you want RP executions (PK's), fuck off". That attitude puts us into a situation where we can either, A. leave the group completely alone and get big dicked OOC'ly and IC'ly, or B. Kill them over and over again in an attempt to capture and PK them. I for one, have no problem PK'ing my character if I am captured and executed. But no one has tried in the last YEAR I have been playing here. There have been a few people who have attempted to RP themselves out of a bad scenario with me, and those people were met with RP back, and in the case where people actually try, my guys and I are far more lenient with what we allow to happen because its so rare that we see it. Then I log off a few hours later and check the forums only to see people bitching and complaining about the quality of hostile RP. Not saying that it isn't warranted in some cases, but I know damn well that everyone that has given RP effort to me and my guys, has been met with a mutual respect back. But there are still people who tell me in OOC chat while we are robbing them that //you guys need counseling or something long those lines. When they have that attitude before even experiencing the RP then I dare say there is almost nothing I can do other than let them go with their gear to make them happy. All in all, I think we need harsher consequences for the actions that we take in order to seriously progress RP.

Don't take it the wrong way, my issues isn't getting into fights, it's w/e. my issue is- our groups only interaction that wasn't an initiation(which was), was Jackz pointing out, punching, and initiating on stannis. proceeded by getting shot.

I look like a real shit hippacrite for the whole 'want rp comply' because i say the same shit, but theres 0 build up, just flat out initiations, and to think that me complying wouldn't mean the rest of my group wouldn't shoot back- which in turn will just get me executed- isn't worth it.

And if it was day time? I would of had to of complied, but I survived that. I ran under the bridge and licked my 2-3 bullet wounds before running off(and dying in the fight later 😞 )

20 minutes ago, SeversonRP said:

I don't know what happened to you guys but V1 was actually a threat. They spooked me enough that whenever somebody asked if my ruski charecter was chernorussian, he dropped his pride and lied. The only interaction I got with you guys, or have even heard about, is somebody gets gooned by 10 people, ran through the woods for 20 minutes, and then executed. I mean that's fun and all, but to counter that it seems you just need to run with more then 2 people and you will never get taken. The RP is alright in between the taken and execution, but really doesn't further anything.  Also to touch on the war idea, I made a thread about it back in the day. Never really went anywhere tho.

Considering the only time we've ever really had you hostage was you yelling into a radio with your hands up, it's some pretty bold words making remarks about roleplay quality during hostage situations. The only person we've ever had hostage properly was @Kai and of course he got executed after weeks of constant GD attacks (which goes back all the way to january/february).

Another GD that we took hostage was @Jean near Novy and I'd like to think it was good rp 🤷‍♂️

We're not here to shit talk eachothers groups, we're here to discuss how to make the server better. Any settlements that have been made, have been shit on, any groups that wander around get found, and get shit on. I go around the whole map like twice a day and only meet a handful of people on a good day. But to be honest, I don't blame those who hide.

But let's be honest, it's a reoccuring problem that has been a problem for over a year. It's not even a problem at this point- it's just how the server is. The same people wanting to 'have more roleplay with the small guy' are the reason the 'small guy' hide.

Noone wants war rules because PvP is fun and I'd be fucking miffed if I couldn't have fun as shit fire fights every day I come on because i'm "wounded" or on some bullshit "War fight cool down" . 

Most folk are here to have good times and spend money on forum perks and aviators glasses, not to have Heart of Iron 5: Chernarus edition. 

Increase ammo spawns so consensual PvP / Hostile RP groups can keep shooting the shit out of each other without having to rob randos for more ammo due them hording it like winter's coming. 
Then the Hostile Rpers can PvP till the sun comes up and the Campfire Rpers won't have their eastenders episode-esque roleplay interrupted. 

I'd personally say that I am indeed "hiding".

And it hasn't even anything to do with the server as it is right now, I wouldn't know from personal experience at least since I don't really meet a lot of people.
Just seen streams, videos and heard things from people.

And I don't wanna sound like a snob or that I know better, I really don't. I personally I believe myself to be rather shit at roleplay. While someone that arguably had some of the best roleplay on the server (BigLittleShorts) called me and a friend the unsung heroes. That was a while ago though and still think it was an overstatement.
Talking about DayZ Mod here by the way, don't wanna create confusion.

What I am trying to get at with this. I don't know how to do it better. I never initiated on a single person I believe while playing this. Never played a bandit, just "heroes" and focused on PvE and I guess creating immersion for myself and others if that makes any sense.
While it was a goal to get rid of bandits most of the time, the amount of hostile situations I got into by simply existing was more than enough, no motivation at all to start my own ones.

I am sure there have been a bunch of great situations, it's the bad ones that I can remember though that stuck in my head. Sorry for that. To give a few examples:

Whether it is standing around for a solid 1+ hour doing nothing during a settlement raid,
getting executed for "not following the right path" through a pitch black forest,
getting shot in the head at the Free Medic's camp after asking the robbers if I can move now or not... (they weren't even in range of hearing us, just had sniper overwatch but we still weren't allowed to get on with our days. We didn't have weapons btw, so there wasn't any threat for them)
or getting executed for crimes I did not commit by a group that asked me the week before if I was interested in joining them. Whole Situation lasted 5-10 minutes.

The funniest thing I experienced was getting tortured because our allies BHM shot at the door of a barn with a revolver to test it out. The people that captured us pretended that we executed someone ourselves there (door = person), which was obviously a lie and poor excuse to get... I don't know what tbh.

The RP itself if I made it out alive really went nowhere though, it didn't help us and I highly doubt it helped them and at some point you start to not care anymore, just wanna get it over with. (maybe that's a problem I provide to the situation)

The only thing I really wanted was a solid reason. Give me a reason for whatever it is you wanna do to me and it's fine. Whether I was an asshole, your character is a lunatic or something else, I really don't care. If there is a reason I can work with so that it will be fun for both sides.

Don't know how to fix this, don't know if this helps. It's just my reasoning for "hiding".

And now that I think of it, I have actually been in a hostile situation in Standalone. Taken hostage by some group of random people up north near the edge of the map. 
Was never initiated on, just handcuffed and questioned after I sneaked into their "base" without knowing and asking a question about the wrong kind of people. 
Took quiet a while and was very enjoyable for me. Even got some food at the end and got shown the right direction to where I wanna go.
And I would like to think it was because of his characters reasoning of wanting to protect his friends, since I wasn't dressed like a guy you wanna have sneak around in your territory. (complete white camo)
And me managing to convince him that I am telling the truth about my intentions and the fact that I don't wanna hurt anyone of them.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Increase ammo spawns so consensual PvP / Hostile RP groups can keep shooting the shit out of each other without having to rob randos for more ammo

With this you state Hostile RP is only about gear and ending characters. That is absolute bullshit.

Edited by Ron

Irony is when the somebody complains about the natural effects of natur coming into RP. Fight or flight, eighter you can punch hard or run fast if none of the 2 characteristics fits you death is a constant.

Long did it take for some people to realize to just walk away from fishy situations or evade people that dont seem to have their well being in mind.

Now finally that seems to really work out which is great and I would like to congratulate the ina woods /K/ brigade on receiving their marching orders. Sure, RP is little and far inbetween but hey more realistic then dying I guess. Bad for the new folks but they never had it easy to begin with.

Generally, with the quality of hostile RP provided at open and publicly known settlements it isn´t a suprise that people just fuck off and hide. Gentleman you did that to yourself nobody runs away from decent RP most people strive for it but if the quality hits rock buttom over and over again well why borther? I will be honest I rather use the lovely F11 key before wasting a hour listening to some bandit group pushing their new and original idea of robbing / tourturing and mutilation that has been done over and over again without any RP reason or prior IC relation on me.

Die die, never comply Enjoy the mess you created since the Great Escape of the Veterans those days of easy to pick cherries are over.

1 minute ago, Ron said:

With this you state Hostile RP is about gear and ending characters. That is absolute bullshit.

For most it is, and considering "most" is what pays for this place, maybe we should just give in and cater to it? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ron said:

With this you state Hostile RP is about gear and ending characters. That is absolute bullshit.

Well for alot of groups this is the case right now.

EDIT: Atleast, they make it look that way.

Edited by Jackfish

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

For most it is, and considering "most" is what pays for this place, maybe we should just give in and cater to it? 

6 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

Guys I'm not saying Hostile RP should not be worked on by some people (yes people ... individuals, no a group as whole). 

But saying: just spawn them more gear, so they stop to take mine/so they wont look for potential victims cant be a fucking mentality in a role play community.

Edited by Ron

1 minute ago, Ron said:

Guys I'm not saying Hostile RP should not be worked on by some people (yes people ... individuals, no a group as whole). 

But saying: just spawn them more gear, so they stop to take mine/so they wont look for potential victims cant be a fucking mentality in a role play community.

Maybe it's time to change the name then? If I've learned anything from project running during my uni years, it's "cater to the guys who keep the lights on". 

I'd rather see a booming PvP server than a dead RP server? 

3 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Maybe it's time to change the name then? If I've learned anything from project running during my uni years, it's "cater to the guys who keep the lights on". 

I rather give my own impulse and effort to light up situations and gain an enjoyable outcome for both sides than just run after someone else.

9 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

e50a39b111.png

There is good rp out there to be developed. Over pointing fingers and the whining, people sometimes forget that you need to work/play together to create something nice. Together.  As in a combination of You and Me, not a combination me, me, me, me, my AK, me, me, me.

^ This is not directed only at you ofc. ˅ This is.

If you rather see a booming pvp server then you should probably go and play public.

15 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

As far as I'm concerned, this is a roleplay community though.  Replacing the foundations of the community to band-aid a problem is going to piss off just as many as it satisfies, especially if DayZRP goes away entirely to make room for DayZPVP.  Personally, I definitely paid money to fund a roleplay server, not to fund the swap to a faction PVP server.

11 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. Hopefully its sarcasm, I donated to see a well run RP (Roleplay) server, not a generic pvp server. 

21 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

Literally us right now. We are told if all saviors pk then everything ceases, but I'm not an idiot and know that won't be the case. People need actual reasonable demands, less dick swinging, more story progression (and no, pking every character you don't like won't solve anything). There are too many people I have spoken too who have pked their characters and it didn't progress any storyline. Its sad really, but we will figure out a solution eventually. 

Hostile RP isn't stale, it just hasn't been done right as of recent. Raise the standard of RP, make rules stricter on what is considered BadRP. Get rid of execution rights.

1 hour ago, California said:

but theres 0 build up, just flat out initiations

I'm not going to respond any further because back and forth is useless but man, come on now. You guys sit on the same road and ambush everyone that passes without any RP at all. Just bush monkey the people walking by. personally I have no problem with it, ambushing people is a tactical advantage 100%, but dont complain about buildup when we jump you guys the same way you have done it to us and a plethora of others in the past.