Server time (UTC): 2019-12-14, 14:55 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Hanro

I know most like to kill people but...

I mean you won't get any pvp if you comply 🙂

On 4/1/2019 at 3:14 AM, Hanro said:

Because right now the bandit groups are soooo many and many of them are ganging up on the smaller friendly communities and I mean how much fun can it be always destroying these smaller factions/groups?

As me and my mother always say, "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians."

I tell my group to not put anything valuable in the tents of the camp we DID stay at since we have had 3 break ins, one of them someone tried griefing and another us all being offline whilst being raided by a very large group for one to log on and be strong armed. I was asleep when all of this happened.

This is what drives people to hide on the edges of maps or leave the server for weeks/months/forever. Then (as it happened many of times as a community discussion once before) threads are made complaining why people are hiding and how said person can't find roleplay or reports are tossed here there and everywhere for it.  It is unfortunate. Normally there is a balance between hostile groups and roleplaying/campfire groups. But this doesn't seem to be the case currently. I've seen bandit groups and campfire groups, the attitudes both sides persue - everything. I have been apart of a hostile group (non-official) but stuck around them to see how it can be perceived and done (as my  child character). And I have been apart of campfire roleplaying many of times (as we all probably know).

I've had many people start to state that this is becoming DayZPvP with a bit of talking and this isn't really an impression we want to give to new comers. And then what happens? Not only the hostile groups shoot back but the non-hostile groups. Why? Because OOCly there drive of being pushed about/strong armed/ have tiny excuses to get them harassed starts to get to them. Then no roleplay involvement happens because everyone is shooting at each other. Which is basically the butterfly effect:

In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state.

There is nothing we can really do unless the big boss steps in or some of the hostile groups archive and join other hostile groups to condense the differences. But the hostile groups will have the same characters or goals. It's unfortunate but again:

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

4 minutes ago, Mademoiselle said:

I've had many people start to state that this is becoming DayZPvP with a bit of talking and this isn't really an impression we want to give to new comers.

Nah, nothing wrong with dayzRP becoming DayZPvP if the majority of the community's having fun. I suggest we change the name. 

1 minute ago, The Traveler said:

Nah, nothing wrong with dayzRP becoming DayZPvP if the majority of the community's having fun. I suggest we change the name. 

If they were having fun, threads like this wouldn't have to be made. 

1 minute ago, Mademoiselle said:

If they were having fun, threads like this wouldn't have to be made. 

image.png.96f17ef8b60d197cff500dd36252b1bc.png <---- My  boy Spock got you covered. 

4 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

"LAST PLAYED ONE MONTH AGO."

Yeah, this is the source of community insight.

Just now, Rover said:

"LAST PLAYED ONE MONTH AGO."

Yeah, this is the source of community insight.

If 90% of the PvP groups and cliques have suddenly all left, you may have a point there. But considering this thread has gone up about loads of groups loving PvP, I don't think that's the case is it? Nice flame-bait though. 

1 minute ago, The Traveler said:

If 90% of the PvP groups and cliques have suddenly all left, you may have a point there. But considering this thread has gone up about loads of groups loving PvP, I don't think that's the case is it? Nice flame-bait though. 

My apologies if it came across as flamebait, that wasn't my intention. You just seem to be speaking as if you are a supreme source of authority and knowledge on the current dynamic of the game, when you haven't actually logged into the game in over a month. Taking anecdotal evidence from the forums as being the state of the server is not going to give you a feel for the game.

As you've stated before, its a very dynamic and fluid shift. In just the last month the Green Dragons broke up, and I think at least two other hostile groups merged/dissolved/split, etc. 

I'm part of the 'campfire RP' crowd, and I don't mind hostilities. Some of the best campfireRP I've had in a while occured in the last few days of when I was logged in, then I proceeded to take a break because it got shit on by boring hostile-RP'rs, despite literally relocating to the edge of the map to avoid them. Unfortunately good things don't last, and it must be boring having no one to strong arm and boss around, so the hostile groups relocated to us. Shit happens.

There was at one point something like 15 to 20 people at the camp engaging in quieter RP, developing story, establishing a small community and even local satellite communities. That is the sort of fun RP I enjoy, not making mumblerap meme PVP videos with that dank 'rp'. I'm frankly disappointed that is even a thing here, but that joke has gone so full circle to take on a life of its own.

1 minute ago, Rover said:

My apologies if it came across as flamebait, that wasn't my intention. You just seem to be speaking as if you are a supreme source of authority and knowledge on the current dynamic of the game, when you haven't actually logged into the game in over a month. Taking anecdotal evidence from the forums as being the state of the server is not going to give you a feel for the game.

As you've stated before, its a very dynamic and fluid shift. In just the last month the Green Dragons broke up, and I think at least two other hostile groups merged/dissolved/split, etc. 

I'm part of the 'campfire RP' crowd, and I don't mind hostilities. Some of the best campfireRP I've had in a while occured in the last few days of when I was logged in, then I proceeded to take a break because it got shit on by boring hostile-RP'rs, despite literally relocating to the edge of the map to avoid them. Unfortunately good things don't last, and it must be boring having no one to strong arm and boss around, so the hostile groups relocated to us. Shit happens.

There was at one point something like 15 to 20 people at the camp engaging in quieter RP, developing story, establishing a small community and even local satellite communities. That is the sort of fun RP I enjoy, not making mumblerap meme PVP videos with that dank 'rp'. I'm frankly disappointed that is even a thing here, but that joke has gone so full circle to take on a life of its own.

Its been the same shit for years, it never changes. dayzRP keeps going the same triangle. @The Traveler might not have been online for month, but hes been around long enough to know what he is talking about

8 minutes ago, Rover said:

There was at one point something like 15 to 20 people at the camp engaging in quieter RP, developing story, establishing a small community and even local satellite communities. That is the sort of fun RP I enjoy, not making mumblerap meme PVP videos with that dank 'rp'.

That's enough people for DnD groups my dude, the problem sorts itself out ^_^ 

Just now, The Traveler said:

That's enough people for DnD groups my dude, the problem sorts itself out ^_^ 

I literally do not know what you are trying to say here, I'm sorry. I might have some years on the server and a few hundred hours in game, but a lot of the inside jokes go over my head.

7 minutes ago, Itsmez said:

Its been the same shit for years, it never changes. dayzRP keeps going the same triangle. @The Traveler might not have been online for month, but hes been around long enough to know what he is talking about

If being around is the criteria we are using for expertise of whats going on in the server, he probably should have bowed his head to @Mademoiselle and her (concerning) number of hours in the game. Though I suppose he joined the server a few months before she did.

Posted (edited)

A balance of groups would be nice but it's difficult to enforce it. Hero type group tend to give up due to it being very difficult to try to be lawful in a unlawful environment.

This isn't something new though, bandit groups are needed to add that bit of danger but when there aren't groups trying to push back it can get a bit tedious for the neutral/peaceful groups as those bandit groups then focus on them. 

I think the big issue is when bandit groups become too friendly with each other which feels like that's all is on the server so the smaller peaceful groups turn into an easy meal. In theory this should motivate those groups to try to push back however that's easier said than done.

Predictability isn't fun either if a group just robs, robs and robs. It shouldn't be a simple as "we're a bandit group so we do bandity things". I like bandit groups that are unpredictable, and they keep you guessing. On the reverse those peaceful groups or individuals shouldnt be predictable either, if you expect to get the same old 'take your stuff RP' your RP in turn will be the same. Your almost tempting fate.

Back in the mod SDS were one of the most infamous PvP groups (by reputation) due to their amazing fight win record, however if you went with their initiation their RP was fantastic, some of which I experienced several times myself but no one ever seems to mention that (their RP).

There are some great bandit groups right now and if you let them will show the great RP that they can give you. However if you push back and don't comply then there is only one outcome. Remember everyone involved in the interaction can push the RP (or PvP) in a particular direction. It's fine to push back against these naughty bandit groups but there is a time and a place.

I love to see some more hero groups pop up though, I was considering rebooting The Gray Fangs but that is still under debate (with myself). Not sure what the interest would be. How much I would like to see The Trinity of Heroes return (Cerberus, Task Force Whiskey and The Gray Fangs) we certainly pushed back, didn't always win but we stood up for the small guy.

Anyway, I've talked enough for one post.

Edited by Samaritan

1 minute ago, Rover said:

I literally do not know what you are trying to say here, I'm sorry. I might have some years on the server and a few hundred hours in game, but a lot of the inside jokes go over my head.

No jokes, go get all the people who want to do more by the campfire RP, and set up a few dungeon's and dragons games to get your fix. Everybody wins! 

3 minutes ago, Rover said:

If being around is the criteria we are using for expertise of whats going on in the server, he probably should have bowed his head to @Mademoiselle and her (concerning) number of hours in the game. Though I suppose he joined the server a few months before she did.

It doesnt take mutch to figure out what is going on in the server through forums 😉  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

No jokes, go get all the people who want to do more by the campfire RP, and set up a few dungeon's and dragons games to get your fix. Everybody wins! 

Finished my tabletop session last night actually. I find you can't play a good game of Dungeons and Dragons online, I've always preferred that medium to be played in person. Online dice rollers just can't replace the weighty clack of my custom metal dice. 

Campfire RP here appeals in a different way; You avoid the fantasy elements of a world with complicated races and magic and such, and are able to delve into a slightly more gritty and realistic setting such as in the DayZ. I use 'slightly' because obviously... you know... zombie apocalypse. 

It gives the RP more character, and the direct nature of the game* and rules of the DayZ server to prevent any superfluous OOC makes for a much more immersive game. The characters get more depth as a result.  That is the fix I am looking for.

Edited by Rover
Immersive-ception.

It's been the same all throughout DayZRP's lifespan. There's always been more bandits than heroes, it's been like that since the mod days (though there has been a point to near equality. I remember at some point in the mod the largest hero groups bundled forces and actually managed to hold out against the bandits for a while. And the Northern Alliance in Standalone, if I recall correctly) it'll continue like that until the game/community fizzles out in the future.

The difference currently is that there's zero drive to make any hero groups due to repeating cycle that's been more prevalent in Standalone than the Mod. Some hero group pops up, they build up a bit of strength, settle somewhere and proceed to get absolutely destroyed once the bigger powerhouses get wind of them.

I don't blame people for not even bothering to start up something new if all that's going to happen is maybe a good few weeks of initial RP followed by constant IC (Solely in character, remember, this is just a game) harassment and attacks until members quit and the group goes inactive/archives. One example from the earlier Standalone would be the NFC. We attempted to hold a town for a while and it went pretty well. However, at some point the IC strongarming and attacks became too much to reasonably enjoy the RP that came with it.

That's not to say it's impossible. But in the end, people play this to get away from reality. And if you escape from reality only to have to face constant hostility I can imagine that wears out real fast and you either stop playing or become a bandit yourself. It's a bit of a cheesy quote, but "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" really applies to most of the DayZRP playerbase.

35 minutes ago, Samaritan said:

I love to see some more hero groups pop up though, I was considering rebooting The Gray Fangs but that is still under debate (with myself). Not sure what the interest would be.

Do you take in three-headed strays?

2 minutes ago, Kenyi said:

Do you take in three-headed strays?

I added a bit more to my previous post, Trinity of Heroes. Good memories where is @OldSchool when you need him. 👍.

6 minutes ago, Samaritan said:

I added a bit more to my previous post, Trinity of Heroes. Good memories where is @OldSchool when you need him. 👍.

Right around the corner, creepin'. On a more serious note, I wish I had the time and drive to reboot Cerberus but I don't see it happening. Cerberus lore was tied very closely to the formation of the Trade Post so a complete re-write would have to be done. I also don't see myself opposing a mostly hostile server, getting shoved into a map corner only to dissipate into nothingness under a few weeks because we can't have nice things. Not worth the trouble.

I for myself have never been really fond goodie-two-shoes characters and prefer to surf the grey line. I think it brings more depth, realism and unpredictability. I don't feel like being boxed into the "good guy" archetype. Everyone's should have something that will make them snap and break, go overboard or act impulsively. Being predictable is boring which is why the current hostile roleplay is stale. Within a few seconds of meeting, you can tell where they're steering the situation and it's easy to call it, no surprise.

Posted (edited)

I’ve managed to avoid any hostilities for quite a while by hiding in the shadows and staying away from populated areas.  But, that’s boring and quite honestly no fun at all.  Now that I’ve come out of hiding and joined a group, I’ve encountered hostilities on a daily basis.  Not directed at me, to be fair, but directed at others around me.  I’ve met people that are robbed of their equipment on a daily basis.  That can’t be fun for them.  And it seems every nice base or compound I come across is soon attacked and destroyed.  That can’t be fun for the camp owners either.

I wish the bandit groups would mix it up a bit and prey on each other.  But, that only leads to non stop PVP and death for them.  I bet that soon gets old.  And let’s face it, how many bandits are going to let themselves be taken hostage?  (Die, die, don’t comply.)  Not many I suspect, so, there goes the hostage RP.  Can’t torture and humiliate a dead man, can you?  Bandit groups need play toys and that’s pretty much what campfire RPers are to them . . . the entertainment. 

So, what to do?  Nothing much, balance is usually restored until it’s not again.  Or perhaps we can try to work something out in game that allows at least one camp to exist unscathed?  That’s not too much to ask, is it?  It’s been done before, maybe we can do it again?

Edited by Mia

4 minutes ago, Mia said:

I’ve managed to avoid any hostilities for quite a while by hiding in the shadows and staying away from populated areas.  But, that’s boring and quite honestly no fun at all.  Now that I’ve come out of hiding and joined a group, I’ve encountered hostilities on a daily basis.  Not directed at me, to be fair, but directed at others around me.  I’ve met people that are robbed of their equipment on a daily basis.  That can’t be fun for them.  And it seems every nice base or compound I come across is soon attacked and destroyed.  That can’t be fun for the camp owners either.

I wish the bandit groups would mix it up a bit and prey on each other.  But, that only leads to non stop PVP and death for them.  I bet that soon gets old.  And let’s face it, how many bandits are going to let themselves be taken hostage?  (Die, die, don’t comply.)  Not many I suspect, so, there goes the hostage RP.  Can’t torture and humiliate a dead man, can you?  Bandit groups need play toys and that’s pretty much what campfire RPers are to them . . . the entertainment. 

So, what to do?  Noting much, balance is usually restored until it’s not again.  Or perhaps we can try to work something out in game that allows at least one camp to exist unscathed?  That’s not too much to ask, is it?  It’s been done before, maybe we can do it again?

Bandit groups are bandit groups, that is what they do. Personally I don't care if I am the 'victim' of quality hostile RP. But the issue becomes that I feel a number of hostile groups have some members that are very dedicated to the task of providing entertaining and meaningful RP to the hostages, and they also have some members that are more about gathering more material for meme videos. (This isn't saying every person that has posted a video like that is this way, I'm not intending that remark as a shot at any specific group or person). Being taken hostage by the latter can be just... boring. Annoying, really. Its an inconvenience and its bothersome. 

It is tiresome that every RP hub gets rolled over by groups, especially when that group doesn't seem to have any information on their group page or goals/objectives that makes it make sense for why they'd suddenly care about a camp/settlement way off in a corner somewhere. But hey, people get bored and when you've got numbers and experience you can pretty much do what you want within the constraints of the rules. Only way to change it is change the minds of the player base, or for staff to enforce rulebreaks in reports in a way that discourages that kind of behavior. 

The sad realization I had is that for the above mentioned bland hostile-RP'rs, it seems as if they found the level that is the bare minimum required not to get reported for badRP, and stay just above that threshold, without aspiring to have more impact through roleplay with hostages. 

And to reiterate. I'm not against hostile RP. I'm just against bad hostile-RP. 

Tbh, why is this even a thread? Not throwing shade, but threads like this never, ever change anything.

People come here to vent, or air grievances which in turn pisses off other people who rage in their posts, get points then meme/shit talk or joke about in TS/Discord or via Status Updates for like a week or so then it starts over again next month or two later after someone gets tired of being constantly attacked by the same group of people. This'll just devolve into flame and flame baiting eventually if we let this thread live long enough.

Rinse. Repeat. 

DayZRP isn't going to be rebranded as DayZPVP because that is not what the IP is about. The servers focus since the beginning may have been a "nonKOS" approach but now has/and will continued to have a environment about Role Play. If you want to go pure PvP then go on a Pub, it's that simple. It's not hard to understand that some people have different standards of RP compared to others.

The only way to get everyone on the same page is to enforce the standard of RP so it's clear cut. Since the basis of "acceptable" RP is "just don't be trolly, provide something akin to RP and value your life" (quick summary there, I know there's a little more to it) people have the freedom to RP as much or as little as they please as long as they meet those general guidelines.

When RP Standards are just a few quick checkboxes needing to be marked off, then there will be people who put in the bare minimum and effort in order to not get in trouble and yeah this results in some poor RP and people just rooting for a reason to fire their automatic weapons at anything that moves.

It's why we have stuff like super soldiers, crazy cultists, Mexican gangs, Pakistani terrorists, edgy cannibals, "totally not the IRA" Irish gangs, WWE wrestlers, pro gamers who got stranded, currently on T trans kids, 8 year old serial killers, MtF/FtM post op individuals, old timey English men, child soldiers, lost mafia members, old aged veterans from 'Nam, maybe male but using the female model prostitutes, serial rapists, soundcloud rappers, Spanish maids, video youtube bloggers, coma survivors after 2 years, elite green beret snipers, Rick Grimes v2.0, racist charactitures of any and all races, Neegan wannabes and so much else and nothing has ever been done to tell these people "You cannot RP that" because they have the freedom to do so and they have met the standard for RP. (Barring they aren't making troll CPs and whatnot of course).

If people want something to change, I wouldn't expect it to be here in this thread. Because as long as everyone is obeying the current rule set, then there's nothing to be done. I can only suggest people who feel they are being constantly targeted to PM politely the people responsible and try and reach understanding. If they refuse to listen, then bring your issues to the Admins and keep logs of each and every occurrence and perhaps the people responsible will be hit with something (maybe Rule 2.3???? for once??). If not, there are other games coming out, perhaps it'll be worth it swapping to a new game for RP for a little until it's time to brave DayZRP again and perhaps the "Constant Fire Fights and PvP" will have died down by then. 

Side note; 

I have never yet seen Rule 2.3 enforced in full, even if it's right on the rule page. I wonder if sometimes it's forgotten... I guess people swapping to new chars. and claiming, "well I have never attacked X on THIS char." is a loophole. Oh well. 

Spoiler

Be a good sport. Do not focus on PvP aspect of the game and attack everything that moves just because you can or are good at it. Remember that not many players will enjoy being constantly attacked, therefore you should not dominate other groups or players into submission to a point where they can no longer accomplish their regular role play or enjoy the game.

Posted (edited)

Honest to god remove the buried stashes and fix the loot economy to allow higher tier rifles  to spawn continuously in military locations etc regardless of weapons in tents and on people.

If this happens robberies will be so much less common.

It's so simple.

The top fella below put it well:

9 minutes ago, RebelRP said:

I suspect it to be the loot, seeing as you can't find any high tier anymore which causes the influx of more bandit groups and highway robberies. (I believe it is gear that makes people not wanting to comply and initiate to take said gear) Even so called  "whitenames" have begun robbing people on a higher scale, I've had a full green ghillie for a while now and almost all the "whitenames"  or non-groups I ran into contemplated robbing me until they saw 15 dudes appear from the woods. The way I see it, most settlements stack up on loot which looks very snacky to a low tier bandit group. The best bet we could do as a server is to stop hoarding loot, make it easier to find the cosmetic items and weapons you need. If most people have the gear they want/need a door for better roleplay might open up, So the next time your neighborhood bandit group comes knocking on your gates it might be more roleplay than just taking what you have because we need it to survive.

Edited by JackZRP

1 hour ago, Mademoiselle said:
1 hour ago, Mademoiselle said:

one to log on and be strong armed. 

This is what drives people to hide on the edges of maps or leave the server for weeks/months/forever. 

This is true for many of us. I took a break for a month because I felt like the community was at a bad place in this regard. It saddens me to see that little has improved. 

I have been speaking with many players who are wanting to leave DayZRP for good because "The RP has died"! There are countless theories to why this is, but my own opinion is bad stewardship. Inexperienced players are being left to their own devices and are filling the groups. Do not get me wrong, new players are the key to this community. They will bring new and exciting ways to RP and keep the experience rich and dynamic. But with that, they are also bringing in their bad habits, and this is the one thing that I cry over. Habits like gear hoarding loot for a not convincing reason. Speaking to others in an ungenuine/trolly manner. Treating every situation like its a game that needs to be won.  "the RP has died".

Now I digress. I do not think there are too many bandit groups. There just happens to be a good amount of players who have that kind of play style. And I think the playstyle is just the easiest and most accessible way of playing this game. It comes naturally for new RP members. The trick is to get seasoned players to demonstrating the better and best methods of RP, and that is where I feel that we fall short as a community. Bad Stewardship.

2 hours ago, Mademoiselle said:

In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state.

If we would, This Effect can be used to heal the community. Make the small changes that start us down the path to success. They could be changes in rules, in group forming, or even in how we define the community and server in a whole. Or it could be up to us, adopting or readopting appropriate methods of play style, that younger players can look to emulate. 

@Brayces is pretty on the dot, things won't change, no matter how much you dislike hostile RP, it is needed to make the stories of DayZRP progress, the rules have been set in place so as to stop people from being shitty RP'ers and help develop the story, its a very fine line to get across but when done right it can bring joy to both parties. If not done right it should be reported and sorted there, not by ranting over a general discussion page.

DayZRP isn't going to have the kind, loving, hands linked ending you want it to have cause you don't want your gear to be taken, a lot of this ranting circles back to that and just that... Gear, yes its frustrating when you lose it to someone who didn't work to get it but you need to remember your playing a character react how the character would not how you as a player would. Hostile RP will always have its ups and downs but its part of the RP like it or not, it needs to be there otherwise its just nice people everywhere and who the fuck in the right mind wants to live without a little excitement?

Posted (edited)

Robberies will never change or stop happening, but the frequency of them will be decreased if the loot issue is fixed.

Edited by JackZRP