Server time (UTC): 2019-12-13, 09:18 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Hanro

I know most like to kill people but...

8 minutes ago, Brayces said:

The best we can do is suffer now through the bad experiences in order to get to the good ones. Because there are good ones out there! 

This is exactly it, and why I'm still around.

I can ignore the bland and uninspired hostile 'roleplay' if I know it means I'll get the chance to find the diamonds in the rough.

And for those knocking campfire roleplay... Sit down, kick up the boots, take a load off, and try talking to someone. Like /actually/ talking to someone. You can find some pretty good stories and some laughs in giving that a shot.

There are a few factions like the doctor faction going for that. I think a new anti-bandit group popped up too today. Trying a different path that is. + everyone who already does it on a individual level.

Posted (edited)

There's already (sort of) a rule against it, which is rule 2.3.

• 2.3 Be a good sport. Do not focus on PvP aspect of the game and attack everything that moves just because you can or are good at it. Remember that not many players will enjoy being constantly attacked, therefore you should not dominate other groups or players into submission to a point where they can no longer accomplish their regular role play or enjoy the game.

Personally, however, I feel that it is fine the way it is. It's the end of the world, so it only makes sense for there to be bandit groups who will take stuff by force. Not everyone is going to 'Goody Two-Shoes' that'll look for his own supplies instead of stealing them from someone else, and I already know 90% of y'all will not hesitate to take items they need from a tent that they'll find somewhere in the woods.

Supplies are scarce, everyone needs them, and what's the easiest way to get them? Take them from someone else, be it by force or by simply threatening them. Times are different, tough, people will do what they have to do to survive, and there are no laws stopping them from doing it, so they might as well.

Hostile RP is a 2-way street, and it can only be enjoyable if you let yourself enjoy it. If you simply sit there and pout because your items are taken away, you'll never enjoy it. Be a good sport, and actively participate in the roleplaying scenario given, even if it means losing a few items.

Also, pro-tip for those who don't like the 'PVP' aspect of DayZRP. Comply, and you will be provided with roleplay instead of 5.56.

Edited by Banshee

Posted (edited)

Mega Bandit alliance groups are the only thing I dislike about hostileRP when they happen. Hostile groups need to stop creating huge super groups with other large hostile groups, because it usually gets to a point where they have no actual PVPers to fight against. And for smaller groups that WOULD like to fight them, it borders NVFL to many to fight back against a group with 10 guys from a separate group always ready to share kill rights.

If a hostile group is going to make a large alliance, they mind as well just merge into a single group. 

Edited by -Chow-

4 minutes ago, Banshee said:

Also, pro-tip for those who don't like the 'PVP' aspect of DayZRP. Comply, and you will be provided with roleplay instead of 5.56.

I have always complied. I was killed once for it, and I can count on two fingers the number of times the roleplay provided afterwards was actually enjoyable.

Thats probably my complaint about it, is that its just... bland. Boring. Not fun to be subjected to. I'm a person that /loves/ my character to be in misery, and to roleplay that out, but in probably a dozen+ instances in the last month of being held up at gunpoint by various hostile groups, only two were experiences that I enjoyed. None of them were so bad to warrant reporting, but part of me feels that was the point. The group was doing the absolute bare minimum to avoid being hit with badrp.

28 minutes ago, DaRsnn said:

Hostile encounters are a two way street, things will only not go the way they are intended to go if the people being initiated upon decided to retaliate, that is what leads to firefights.

Firefights is not the thing discussed here but I hear you

11 minutes ago, Rover said:

I have always complied. I was killed once for it, and I can count on two fingers the number of times the roleplay provided afterwards was actually enjoyable.

Thats probably my complaint about it, is that its just... bland. Boring. Not fun to be subjected to. I'm a person that /loves/ my character to be in misery, and to roleplay that out, but in probably a dozen+ instances in the last month of being held up at gunpoint by various hostile groups, only two were experiences that I enjoyed. None of them were so bad to warrant reporting, but part of me feels that was the point. The group was doing the absolute bare minimum to avoid being hit with badrp.

*Pulls a knife on Dr. James.* Time to develop your character ... >:) 

But yeah, a lot of the time HostileRP is "Don't move or you die" and "Don't talk or you die" and you have to sit there while they take your *insert whatever item here* and then say "Don't follow or you die." and you sit there in the road like, "Welp ..." 

Just now, Brayces said:

*Pulls a knife on Dr. James.* Time to develop your character ... >:) 

But yeah, a lot of the time HostileRP is "Don't move or you die" and "Don't talk or you die" and you have to sit there while they take your *insert whatever item here* and then say "Don't follow or you die." and you sit there in the road like, "Welp ..." 

Oh lordy, James already isn't sure he trusts you! 

But yeah, exactly. Thats been the majority of my experience. Some of the best 'hostile' RP I've had comes from people that don't even hold me up; I should give props to @YO_MIKE and the rest of his entourage for an incident in Kab yesterday. That is how I feel 'hostile' RP should be done. Unsettling, unnerving, and without a gun in my face. Making me watch my words and bite my tongue for worry of poking the proverbial bear. That sort of scenario, short as it was, was far more interesting then the 'HANDS UP SHUT UP' hostilities I usually see.

Like I've said so many times, very often most of the RP is left to the bandit to do during a robbery, while the hostage acts in a rather "passive manner". Try to figure out why you're getting robbed, who those people are, how you could flip the situation and end up helping them in data/supplies gathering thus leaving with the situation having made allies (this happens a lot when hostages are nice, don't act salty and have their wits about them; they'll leave with their captors' frequency, most of their shit and some powerful allies).

And if you don't like getting robbed and/or dog brained then don't talk shit on the radio or ig and then not expect to get rolled up on for it, give in to the big dogs' demands and think about complying once in a while (nothing worse than those who never comply and then complain about the lack of RP in their hostile encounters)

But hey, if rolling over ain't your stile then instead of crying because you don't have the numbers or shooters to fight the bandits, make a super alliance amongst all the hero groups (official and dynamic), actively hunt the bandits and make it so they think twice before attacking you. 

7 minutes ago, Mak said:

Like I've said so many times, very often most of the RP is left to the bandit to do during a robbery, while the hostage acts in a rather "passive manner". Try to figure out why you're getting robbed, who those people are, how you could flip the situation and end up helping them in data/supplies gathering thus leaving with the situation having made allies (this happens a lot when hostages are nice, don't act salty and have their wits about them; they'll leave with their captors' frequency, most of their shit and some powerful allies).

And if you don't like getting robbed and/or dog brained then don't talk shit on the radio or ig and then not expect to get rolled up on for it, give in to the big dogs' demands and think about complying once in a while (nothing worse than those who never comply and then complain about the lack of RP in their hostile encounters)

But hey, if rolling over ain't your stile then instead of crying because you don't have the numbers or shooters to fight the bandits, make a super alliance amongst all the hero groups (official and dynamic), actively hunt the bandits and make it so they think twice before attacking you. 

This 🙂

Hostile RP is what makes the world go round, otherwise we'd all be stood with eachothers dicks in our hands singing be happy, there's a lot of things you can do to help move Hostile RP along, creating allies with other friendly groups is one, have a war start out, it leaves the ground work for stories to be filled, if you look at it from a gear standpoint yes its frustrating, but from an RP standpoint, you and/or your friends have just made an enemy/ally and from there a beautiful friendship/rivalry can begin. If something like a robbery happens you shouldn't look at it from the gear point of view.

Posted (edited)

I've said it for years. If you intend to provide hostile RP, then your mission should be  to provide an enjoyable RP for the victim, HOWEVER as a victim in that role you have to consider the person you're RPing with, separate yourself from the gear attachment  which has absolutely zero baring on you OOC'ly, it's IC items and understand that not everyone finds providing hostile RP easy. It's a two way street, you're both story tellers... ideally you should help each other tell the story by playing off each other. 

Hostile RP'ers, if you insist your victim remains silent whilst you treat them like a fuckin free for all convenience store, then you have failed. If you make impossible demands such as declaring if you see them again you'll kill them just to get kill rights, you have failed. If you are killing people at the drop of a hat because you can via whatever means you've gained, where the story gains nothing out of it, besides maybe getting a back pat from the lads in one of those mega hostile groups of cluster fuck meme-sauce... you are selfish and you've failed. If you prioritise PvP over RP on an RP server, even going as far as to bait it, then you shouldn't be here. If your priorities are your kill count, then you do not get the point.... if you do not get the point I'll explain it to you. Do NOT make the RP about you. Make it about the victim. Why are you taking them? What are you trying to achieve? What about your characters personality? Do they get off on this? Can you reflect that? If the victim is dead, they get nothing out of it and the kill only served to inflate that E-peen... death should ideally be reserved for when the story has been exhausted and can be taken no further.

Hostages, if you take a negative approach from the minute the initiation drops then you're already making it difficult for the bandit to perform his role. It's hard to cater to someone who makes it clear they don't want to be there OOC'ly. It's immersion breaking and bad form when someones like 'whatever, just get it over with and fuck off'. (//so reporting this). If you shit talk and show no consideration to the IC predicament, then I have no sympathy if kill rights are exorcised for your blatant lack of IC life value and if I had my way I'd force you to perm. Do not just sit there and expect 100 percent catering like a lazy shit... try to engage your captor and give him/her something to play off of, without being an edge lord with no fear of death... it's a fine line, walk it well. Understand not everyone is great at this, but many try... leave the salt at the end of the RP. It has no place OOC. If your instant reaction is to go to the reports when you've been robbed or killed for something that was your own damn fault realistically then I have to question your integrity as an RP'er. It's the same question of integrity I'd ask of someone weighed down by the erection gotten at the thought of shooting someone.

There is no us vs them, there is no groups, there is no teams... it's one big community of story tellers, all contributing to the same worlds story. The point to that is selflessness... be considerate of everyone you share this space with. Try to impact other peoples characters and allow them to impact you. This is not a game in which you can win or lose. You can win at RP'ing by simply filling the role you play well. Remember, everything you do reflects on how people perceive you, not just in your own little circles. No one is exempt from this.

Edited by Tony

30 minutes ago, Mak said:

Right. These advices have been posted a couple of times and I see where they are coming from. And I’m not a part of any hero group. I just think it would be more fun if everyone stopped to just completely fuck each other up all the time. Just take everything down a notch. There is no need to raid the same bases every day. If that is your only fun go maybe blow some steam off in like I don’t know rust? We are here to roleplay and as Mentioned before many times you’re not allowed to speak when taken hostile or it is a one way street when trying to talk to the bandits. But yeah I understand it is fun to reap havoc and chaos but maybe take it down a notch and we can all enjoy this lovely server:)

35 minutes ago, Mak said:

By the very nature of being taken hostage by someone with a gun and being ordered around (usually on threat of death) you'll find them to be passive, certainly. I know whenever I am taken hostage I become a 'Yes ma'am, yes sir' individual because that is just how James gets through those situations. I'm not intentionally stonewalling my hostage takers, its just that in the vast majority of situations they never really... engage with me any more then 'Do you have weapons? Who are you? What are you doing here?' and then they ignore me. I actually did try to engage once with a large bandit group and volunteer some information I wasn't asked for, and promptly got punched in the face and told to shut up. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I've said it for years. If you intend to provide hostile RP, then your mission should be  to provide an enjoyable RP for the victim, HOWEVER as a victim in that role you have to consider the person you're RPing with, separate yourself from the gear attachment  which has absolutely zero baring on you OOC'ly, it's IC items and understand that not everyone finds providing hostile RP easy. It's a two way street, you're both story tellers... ideally you should help each other tell the story by playing off each other. 

I have a lot of respect for people that pull off quality hostile RP, because it isn't easy. There is a reason why in all the time I've been here I've never engaged in hostile roleplay as the hostile, because I simply don't think I'd be able to do it justice and provide a guaranteed fun experience to the hostage. I've been tossing up the idea when James has run his course to give it a go and try to breathe a breath of fresh air into things.

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Hostages, if you take a negative approach from the minute the initiation drops then you're already making it difficult for the bandit to perform his role. It's hard to cater to someone who makes it clear they don't want to be there OOC'ly. It's immersion breaking and bad form when someones like 'whatever, just get it over with and fuck off'. (//so reporting this). If you shit talk and show no consideration to the IC predicament, then I have no sympathy if kill rights are exorcised for your blatant lack of IC life value and if I had my way I'd force you to perm. Do not just sit there and expect 100 percent catering like a lazy shit... try to engage your captor and give him/her something to play off of, without being an edge lord with no fear of death... it's a fine line, walk it well. Understand not everyone is great at this, but many try... leave the salt at the end of the RP. It has no place OOC. If your instant reaction is to go to the reports when you've been robbed or killed for something that was your own damn fault realistically then I have to question your integrity as an RP'er. It's the same question of integrity I'd ask of someone weighed down by the erection gotten at the thought of shooting someone.

I agree with the above. Its a two way street, and its hard to dance with a stone. The only comment I want to make on the above is that in this sort of situation the hostage takers need to understand that they quite literally have forced the RP-scenario onto the other person; there is no 'consent' to being robbed, it is just happening to you and you need to deal with it. There have been numerous instances where I was in fantastic roleplay that was actually developing my character and story only for some group of 5+ to walk over and 'hey fuckers hands in the air' and then proceed to tell us to shut up or die. I know I'm not the only one to experience this. 

This doesn't justify a hostage giving zero effort into a roleplay scenario, but the onus is on the hostage takers to make sure they give something for the hostage to work off of. You've put them in those shoes, and they can't leave while you have them at gunpoint.  

For the record, the OP and most of the replies in this thread have not been about gear at all. I personally do not give a crap about my characters gear; one of James frequent remarks to people that ask him why he refuses to fight back is 'there is nothing in this backpack worth my life or someone elses' and that is just a character thing. I just want the RP to be engaging.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hanro said:

Firefights is not the thing discussed here but I hear you

I would recommend leaving feedback on group threads about how you feel they could improve the experience, this way you get to become more involved as you can give them your opinions and you can view their side of the roleplay as well. At the end of the day we are all here to have a good time and help each other when we can.

Edited by DaRsnn

12 hours ago, Hanro said:

Most times hostile/robbery rp isn´t enjoyable for anyone but the bandits.

Then reach out to whoever took you and give them feedback. Group threads are primarily used for this and if you reach out to them they might change a bit in the way they approach a hostile situation or they might explain something that you might be doing wrong in that encounter that is stopping you from having fun. It seems to me that your problem with hostile encounters is not how often they happen but the fact that they are lacklustre most of the time.

11 hours ago, California said:

-Snip-

We got what I would classify as "heavy" traffic recently. The only thing is, is we make deals with everyone that comes through and we aren't a cunt to them. Haven't been griefed or "attacked" as of yet. Some people want to talk mad game or don't want to negotiate with other groups and then they are attacked everyday. Actions have consequences, people just don't want to admit they might be doing something wrong. 

Yea no thanks, rules like that will hurt the server in the long run.

I prefer the more dynamic way that groups are made, if there are too many bandit groups there is bound to be a "hero" group that fights the bandits. If there are too many hero groups there are more bandit groups made to stop them etc. 

Making rules on how many bandit groups can be made would have to be coupled with a member cap on bandit groups. This would in turn cause less people to play on the server. More bandit groups is actually good because they tend to kill each other. If it was just one big bandit group with 40+ members going around robbing everyone that would be a much bigger problem than several bandit groups fighting each other.  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ouromov said:

I'm fairly sure the servers name is DayzRP not Dayzpvp with a dash of rp.

I agree, I think a name change would be a good idea. DayZNon-KOS would do. 

5 hours ago, Ouromov said:

For -NOW- it's a mix and mash of rp-pvp focused factions and people who prefer a slice of rp with their travels in Chernarus.

Nah, a good 90% want to shoot the shit out of each other whilst pretending to be gangsters or mercs or something. Saying it's a mix match is like saying my world's famous cottage pie is a mix match of beef and human meat when some of my dandruff fell in the pan whilst cooking. 

Nice wall of text though. 

5 hours ago, -Chow- said:

Mega Bandit alliance groups are the only thing I dislike about hostileRP when they happen. Hostile groups need to stop creating huge super groups with other large hostile groups, because it usually gets to a point where they have no actual PVPers to fight against.

Now this appeals to me and I am 100% for this shit, and it didn't take a wall of text ❤️ 

10/10: Anything to keep the firefights going. 

Edited by The Traveler

Posted (edited)

You know, its funny to me.

Every so often I see these posts, often from aggravated campfireRPers arguing with hostileRPers, and I look at their profiles. Since often, these threads contain replies from a very wide range of the community, coming from the very freshest community members, PVP-hardened bandits and even some of the purest campfire roleplayers around, the kinds of demographics really interest me. For example, last year, there was a moderate population of campfire rpers, the year before the higher proportion was bandit like we have now. And it really isn't anything to do with "most liking to kill people", more just the fact that that is just the type of community we have right now. Whether you like that or not, you can't just force a massive clique of the community to change how they act by enforcing restrictive rules like they one you suggested.

Edited by Monday

33 minutes ago, Monday said:

Whether you like that or not, you can't just force a massive clique of the community to change how they act by enforcing restrictive rules like they one you suggested.

meme.png.55417f09e809499d08d653fffc553d5e.png

Genuinely couldn't of said it better myself. Server should change to cater the players, not the players changing to cater the vision of the server. 

24 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

meme.png.55417f09e809499d08d653fffc553d5e.png

Genuinely couldn't of said it better myself. Server should change to cater the players, not the players changing to cater the vision of the server. 

Imma repeat myself, ya´ll misunderstood if you think I wanna stop your way of roleplay. 

7 minutes ago, Hanro said:

Imma repeat myself, ya´ll misunderstood if you think I wanna stop your way of PvP. 

*fixed

6 minutes ago, Hanro said:

Imma repeat myself, ya´ll misunderstood if you think I wanna stop your way of roleplay. 

Then I apologise for misunderstanding this quote:

"How about we make rule or something about groups so that there can´t be too many bandit group, not too many friendly groups etc. Because right now the bandit groups are soooo many and many of them" 

1 minute ago, Monday said:

Then I apologise for misunderstanding this quote:

"How about we make rule or something about groups so that there can´t be too many bandit group, not too many friendly groups etc. Because right now the bandit groups are soooo many and many of them" 

You´re right my bad. All I mean is that I don´t want any rules which I´ve explained in some of the former replies I simply want the PVP to be less. I guess. And I know nothing will change but I wanted everyone´s thoughts and stuff on this.