Server time (UTC): 2019-08-18, 16:19
Sign in to follow this  
Okhchen Satori

Hello looking for other Military RP character

Posted (edited)

Met some real people out there telling me the fact that many dislike military characters UWU especially when i got robbed, they said to drop the military shit everyone hates military characters

Edited by Okhchen Satori
mispell

/moved to offtopics

Hey OP.

You're not wrong in the assumption that many hate military-style characters.

But more so I think it is a matter of a running gag or stereotype.

Ever since I joined back in 2013 there has always been a joke about new-whitelists first character.

Serious Super Soldier Who Has No Pain Or Fear

This running gag was caused by the fact that, quite a few new whitelists do tend to make military characters that are either navy-seals, delta force or some other special forces character.

Therefore, when people run into a voice, face or name they haven't heard, and they see a person dressed in salvaged military kit claiming to be a soldier, they tend to view it negatively.

I guess what I am trying to say is, perhaps start by making a civilian?

Learn the lay of the land, which group of people hang out where, who is fighting who and so on.

That way you can, along with the current lore available on this website figure out a feasible way to roleplay your military character, and give the impression of knowing what you are doing, rather than just being another new-whitelist military dude.

Let me re-iterate, none of the above is flame, just my observations and experiences from the past.

I don't think anyone would disagree with it either.

👆 Millitary characters are ok if they are in a millitary group, and its RPd well. 

If i see a random loner claiming to be a navy seal, im not going to take it serious. 

Posted (edited)

So Ducky got the big part of it, a lot of people make their first characters some type of Military, SOF type character. It's easy, most people who play these types of games tend to really like those kinds of guys. Like said above, a few bad apples in the past ruined it for newer people. Even if you RP those types of characters well now, it's some what frowned upon. That's the OOC hate, there's a whole other level of hate for them IC though.

ICly, we're in Chernarus, a post-war country that is generally pretty close knit. So anybody who's playing a Russian or Chernarussian character is going to dislike American, Military characters. So when you think about it ICly, it's best to keep your miltary past a secret throughout the whole outbreak, from the start to the end. For example, we're on day 629 of the outbreak, my character is Military but the only people that know that are the people I was in NATO with at the beginning of the outbreak, who are still around. I don't wear military clothes (except the plate carrier) and I don't tell people of my past. At the beginning of the outbreak I kept it a secret due to the tensions between NATO and Russian/Chernarussian forces. Now, however I keep it a secret because it's nobodies business.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're going to run a military character, do your research on the type of character, and preferably do something different. Don't do a Seal, SF, or MARSOC guy. Example, my character is a USCG MSRT Sniper. I've never seen another person doing this. I've also played a character who was a USAF Pararescueman, I provided medical aid to those in need. Just be different, set yourself apart so people can tell that you're not another "Super Soldier".

Edited by Rainey

6 hours ago, Rainey said:

ICly, we're in Chernarussia, a post-war country that is-...

Cher-Na-Rus

Say russia one more time 

11 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Cher-Na-Rus

Say russia one more time 

Russia:trolle:

31 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Cher-Na-Rus

Say russia one more time 

Shit yup that's my b, it was a long day when I wrote that.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Cher-Na-Rus

Say russia one more time 

Cabbage patch kids are so scary now. Man Russia is confusing.

TL;DR: If you lack knowledge of the general and then progressed lore and factions and also professions you want to portray (at least a minimum knowledge level should be there), don't try and start as something more simple, then try something else as you gain more experience. Try to avoid playing spec forces soldiers and look at the guide linked below for info on Chernarussian military backgrounds and mindsets!

Some good points were already made. Although I'd consider the time of the char creation too: Back in the day we were very early into the lore so running into those types of characters early on was more natural or organic or to be expected than it might be now, with official assets withdrawn for a long time now.

I kind of avoided this to some extend: I started with a cop background early on as new guy and at most, the char was a CDF reservist but not officially called in or he did not get to a point where he would've, he's pretty much been stuck in SZ since then when order broke down in Chernogorsk. Regardless, let's say you pick some other profession that would play a relevant role: You have or should do your minimum research at least, both lore wise into how things could or would be (history, mindsets, land and people, etc) and then into the profession itself.

This is how you avoid or reduce certain mistakes if you act in such role. For example if you are a new guy and just pick a military soldier who runs around in uniform and only knows how the Chernarussian forces are called, or a NATO person who doens't even know the timeline, you're bound to run into problems down the way. You won't be taken serious either OOC and / or IC - after all you could also be someone who put on the clothing and is trying to bullshit people, and I saw at least 1-2 cases happen IC myself but the story was such bullshit it was called out and admitted IC.

And despite all of lore or professional background, a simple fact can make a lot moot: Lack of skills. You can play a special forces soldier, a soldier or a hobby farmer: there are no (in-game) skill boosts or restrictions. This means that skills or knowledge that would naturally help you as soldier or likewise over the untrained but somehow surviving populace and others are not really a key factor as soon as it touches gameplay, because in essence the student or car salesman can kick your ass as well as a hostile soldier, from Russia for example. In short, the better PVPer or those who can handle the game and shooting mechanics better regardless of background. By now it wouldn't even matter much because it's been 600 days plus. Lore or char-wise anyone still alive can explain this by having obtained necessary skills or having hardened up, so the playing field turns even compared to being days into this. This kinda means you put yourself at a disadvantage if you run around as soldier, at least alone, depending on who you run into. It's like a little target mark on you. Not necessarily, but possibly. The rest can depend on how you act and how others act. Some may like or dislike military folks, and then it depends what kind of military type.

Run into Chernarussian hardcore nationalists and they (not literally) kiss your feet or greet you with open arms if you are CDF (Chernarussian Defense Force for those new and not knowing) or the respective police or government, while they may try to spit at you or shoo you off if you're from a foreign military or similar force on the other hand. Likewise, it can be the other way around for some other characters.

In the end, I wouldn't necessarily frown upon this type of char concept, whether it is now or if it would be early on. You'll find more acceptance on an abstract level if you operate from a unit or group and are cohesive however, or you have to deal with being outgunned or not being taken (as) serious than you would be if you appeared in a unit or squad. Lastly if you play your role at least a bit realistically or more so to how most people would expect it, you find more acceptance than appearing as a try-hard super soldier who acts against the odds.

What I would avoid completely is playing an actual special forces soldier and identifying as such if you have no experience of this whatsoever and if you are alone. Likewise I also heard that active Chernarussian special forces backgrounds are best cleared up with Major according to this guide. Oh, speaking of guide, take a look at it if you want to play Chernarussian soldiers, active or former!

Posted (edited)

@Combine as I replied to the other before you, I appreciate your post but I assure my character isn't special forces if you haven't already look at it, and I have used lore from that CDF guide from when I was doing research. I am also well aware that it is 600th day into the outbreak. PS Thank you for telling me more to be prepared and giving me more information and understand completely there are parameters that need to be filled. 

Edited by Okhchen Satori
Add

@Okhchen Satori Well, some aspects weren't necessarily specifically aimed at you and more so stated in a general fashion, "to those it concerns" kind of. Just clarifying, if it read or came across as "accusatory".