Server time: 2019-04-20, 07:25
The Nikitin Prodejna - Trade Post Event
TOMORROW | 2019-04-21 17:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 1 day, 9 hours, 34 minutes | Chernogorsk Docks | Peaceful

Ban Rape RP  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

I have no problem with creating a rule if majority of the community is for it, it's not like I personally do that kind of RP or enjoy it. I just thought that members of this community prefer freedom of action rather than arbitrary rules preventing you from role playing some things in game.

There's a pretty overwhelming amount of people that are against it. Ban it now.

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

I have no problem with creating a rule if majority of the community is for it, it's not like I personally do that kind of RP or enjoy it. I just thought that members of this community prefer freedom of action rather than arbitrary rules preventing you from role playing some things in game.

Well, I think judging by this whole thread, and the near unanimous support for the OP's suggestion, that we'd all rather have rape be banned from in game RP. 

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Not all parties can and have consented to the ERP/RapeRP. 

So if one party who's NOT the one getting raped, says OOC "//No, not comfortable with this" but the Victim says "//yes RapeRP my char." is that a rule break when the Rapist goes ahead and does the detailed emotes in front of the party who did NOT consent? 

There are a lot of variables no one can fully account for on either side of this situation. You can't expect to hold the captor responsible for the responses of the hostage, and you can't excuse the potential anxiety or panic inflicted on the hostage in an ooc level. Theres really no clean cut black and white "if you don't want to just say //no."

Its more complex than that, and I use to think the above too. The victim may not be fully aware of the effect it will have on them later as the shock wears off and the previous real life trauma is resurfaced because of the RP. 

Pop-up rape scenarios such as ones during hostage situations are trickier. Theres a time limit, potential threat of death ic, the panic of the person ooc as they are trying to process the situation they are in, the guilt imposed at the thought of saying no, the fear of repercussions for saying no, the others in the situation it might affect, so on. Rape victims often carry a life time of guilt associated with the trauma(s) and can at times defend the attacker and post blame on themselves just to try and cope with this horrible thing that's happened to them. It's not something you just get over and it can pop up when you least expect it. 

If it's for a storyline, then its likely two consenting adults discussing it out ahead of time in a calm setting where things can be thought through. If it's for the lulz or during robberies/hostage situations, your victims permission may not be sincere. 

At the end of the day we are all suppose to be here to have fun playing a game. Communities have people that dislike each other but there shouldn't be an active goal to destroy people. Maybe it's worth taking a beat and making sure your hostage is actually okay ooc if pursuing these kinds of scenarios is actually that progressive to your story. 

Just now, Roman said:

There's a pretty overwhelming amount of people that are against it. Ban it now.

Just now, Onyx said:

Well, I think judging by this whole thread, and the near unanimous support for the OP's suggestion, that we'd all rather have rape be banned from in game RP. 

Haha, slow down there lads. Community does not consist of 20 people who voted so far 🙂 

Just now, Brayces said:

Not all parties can and have consented to the ERP/RapeRP. 

So if one party who's NOT the one getting raped, says OOC "//No, not comfortable with this" but the Victim says "//yes RapeRP my char." is that a rule break when the Rapist goes ahead and does the detailed emotes in front of the party who did NOT consent? 

Yes, it's a rule break then, they cannot continue with bystanders saying no. They have to abort or move elsewhere.

The poll is misleading. It does not specify RapeRP. It says “explicit sexual rp”. These are different things. While I think erp is cringy, it should not be in the same category as rapeRP

Just now, Roland said:

Haha, slow down there lads. Community does not consist of 20 people who voted so far 🙂 

Judging by the rest of the thread and the ratio i'd say it's a safe bet though. But sure we can wait til it's like 300 - 11 I guess. 

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Yes, it's a rule break then, they cannot continue with bystanders saying no. They have to abort or move elsewhere.

There's more people that have replied in this thread that are against it then that have voted.

Posted (edited)

Rape RP has no place in this community, it needs to be removed...

Also I accidentally voted no and wanted to put yes but I fat fingered it.

Edited by Jared

Just now, Roland said:

What if a bystander walks by, sees the RapeRP/ERP emotes but was not present for the RapeRP/ERP to start and says "//I'm not comfortable with this, stop please" is it a rulebreak then, or only if the Rapist continues their emotes ignoring the bystander? What if the party who is engaging in the RapeRP/ERP is behind closed doors but the bystander can still see the emotes? Is the rapist forced to stop their emoting because, you know, their emotes can be seen by others who have expressed they are not comfortable but logically the bystander cannot "see" the Rapist/ERPer doing these things because they are behind closed doors, would that be a rulebreak? 

I just want to clarify so if I encounter this RP I know my own rights. 

Yeah its stupid and fucked up no idea why its allowed only idiots do Rape RP.

Since when has it even been happening..?

Posted (edited)

I am just thinking..

If people agree to rapeRP.. would it still be rape since both parties agree?.. 🤔

image.png.eaca2de2146ccc1199b11c181382c218.png

Edited by Jackfish

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Glad to hear.

To touch on something else you said: You don't survive getting your head blown off, so not many people have to relive the trauma of that.

Many people that survive gunshot wounds do have trauma/fear of guns, relive the memory, etc. 

The reason rapeRP is being singled out so specifically is that it is very prevalent. There is a vocal minority that make it difficult for other survivors by making it damn cringey. I don't know specific numbers or statistics, but... people that have been sexually assaulted or raped, or know a victim of it that had it change their lives, are probably the majority of people here. 

3 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

I am just thinking..

If people agree to rapeRP.. would it still be rape since both parties agree?.. 🤔

the office yes GIF

Hes not wrong.

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

- snip. -

I think they call it "consensual non-consent". 

🤷‍♀️ 

-User has been cautioned for this post-

Ban erp alltogther or place an age limit again. You cant have both. 

Jesus christ what the hell am i reading here the fact that people do that ingame and defend it is insane.

Its a roleplay community on dayz get your head straight. 

Voted on the condition that consensual people could still do a fade in - fade out scenario or 3rd party and say they did it instead of cluttering the chat box with lewd words.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Aristocrat said:

Whilst I understand the arguments made by players who don’t wish for their characters to be constrained by an imposed system of morality. However, I think it is naïve optimism to believe that a mere ‘//’ will protect players from all manner of unwanted predations.

In these scenarios, consent is not often asked for but taken for granted. This makes new players particularly vulnerable, as many of them remain unaware that they have a right to refuse actions which make them feel uncomfortable. Experienced members of the community are not immune either, for there are those who may be pressured into giving consent for fear of being labeled a ‘snowflake RPer’, someone who isn’t willing to engage in the dark side of RP. Even actions which begin with consent, may become increasingly uncomfortable for the person playing the victim, to the point where they want it to stop, but feel unable to withdraw their consent in case they cause a fuss.

Additionally, as mentioned by others, regardless of the rating of the game, we have minors on the server now, and to be honest, even as an adult I’m uncomfortable witnessing emotes of that nature. Consent cannot be extended to all players who enter the vicinity of such actions, and as such cannot be allowed to occur.

And let’s be honest with ourselves. The vast majority of instances where this has occurred in the past, players have not taken the subject matter with the degree of sincerity that it is owed, and have instead used it perversely, to humiliate and brag.

I wish I still had beans left. The above shouldn't be understated.

Edit: Oh wait, I did have beans.

Edited by Rover

Posted (edited)

Q here.

When I came back to the community, I've heard that RapeRP was allowed and I was completely baffled as to why that direction was taken. I mean a few years ago if you did what is happening now, you would be on an instant train to the afterlife. There are many ways to go about doing things and none of them should be "//permission to rape" or "//permission to have my dongle sucked, btw it's massive". I don't see how any of this could add to someone's entertainment and it needs to go away and never come back.

Playing extreme characters can be very interesting indeed, but the idea is to do it tastefully. You can be intimidating, beat someone up, torture them, strip them naked, threat them with rape etc. so many possibilities to play very creepy and fucked up characters without having to actually RP rape. I am not gonna ask myself why people would wish to do it or find it remotely entertaining as I can't read thoughts nor feelings but these sort of things have no place here. Maybe SecondLife, idk, it may work better there.

Edited by AndreyQ

Baffles my mind.

I too am under the “it’s only a game” mentality, but instead of “you shouldn’t be allowed to do that” I just can’t be bothered to care about what degenerate shit two consenting adults want to do in a roleplay server. If I don’t have to see it, and by the definition of the rules NOONE ever has to see this in game, then people can go nuts.

+1 

its just messed up to have that sort of shit going on or even to be involved in it is just creepy and fucked up. 

Posted (edited)

no way abandon thread GIF

All these people defending rape in a video game...

Edited by PogoOG