Server time (UTC): 2019-08-22, 14:29
Sign in to follow this  
ScarletRose

Is excessive use of restrains a breach of rule 4.6?

Posted (edited)

“Rule 4.6 If you successfully capture a player through a hostile action and then take him into your custody, he is now considered your hostage. You must do everything in your power to keep your hostages alive and in a relatively good health. That includes protecting them from external threats like zombies and leaving them with a realistic chance of survival when they are released.”

My last two experiences as a hostage, I found myself handcuffed for an extended period, which would be absolutely fine if it wasn’t for the fact that if you crash while restrained, you die.

My question is regarding duty of care for a hostage. You are required to ensure that your hostages have food and water and are protected from infected. You may not kill a compliant hostage under most circumstances. So why is it okay to play Russian roulette with their lives based upon server stability and a known bug?

When handcuffed, my focus immediately shifts from the RP to worrying about the bug as I have died to it on numerous occasions. During my last two encounters, myself and my friend asked OOC to RP being cuffed instead due to the glitch. On both occasions, we were ignored. I understand that there is a lot going on in comms and RP, but it leaves you wondering if they have seen it and deliberately kept the restrains on. This taints the situation because it demonstrates a lack of OOC consideration or care for the hostages. It left us having to ask repeatedly until the request was acknowledged which interrupted the RP further.

Dying mid situation to a glitch is immersion breaking and confusing for both parties on how to progress the RP. It risks ending enjoyable RP and leaves a bad taste considering it is completely avoidable.

If the mechanic is not going to be removed until it is fixed, I believe that restraining a hostage for longer than it takes to search them for weapons and radios be considered a breach of rule 4.6 should they die.

I kindly ask for a staff members response to my question.

PS. I know this has been discussed numerous times on the forums. Most responses were to ask to emote which seemed to be a satisfactory answer, however, on multiple occasions I have had issues with non-compliance to my requests. I am thus raising the point again from a rule perspective in the hopes of addressing this.

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/95678-restraining-people-in-game/page/2/

Edit in response to DaRsnn:

Thank you for your response.

The use of restrains is to minimise risks to the hostage taker. Currently there is no risk whatsoever for the hostage takers who then understandably make use of the mechanic.

Should a hostage decide not to comply, that is their choice. However, I believe that it is unfair that the risk of death from something completely out of the control of a cooperative hostage should be their burden alone.

If you accidentally kill a hostage by punching or stabbing, this could still be a rule break if you don’t have kill rights. So why would hostages not be protected by the rules in regards to restraints?

Edited by ScarletRose

Crashing and subsequently dying whilst restrained is not guaranteed, I have been held in restraints a few times, crashed or DC'd, and logged back in to find myself untouched. However, I am not 100% certain if the type of restraint matters (i.e dying to handcuffs but not to duct tape). Regardless in my last few encounters I have not died, like I have done in the past, I don't know if it is a consistent feature because some people die, some don't, but I would argue that it does not violate the rule because in a way, it prevents the hostage from trying anything which could in turn cause them to be executed, but I understand that there is a certain risk factor, we just don't know how likely it is to occur.

You run a very high chance of dying while restrained, this is known. A solution that has been around for some times, and as mentioned in other threads, is too simply ask, OOCly, for your captors to untie you and promise that you will behave. It is not ideal, it is yet another panel of game mechanics we cannot use but it will have to do. If you ask and they either ignore you or deny your request, in my opinion this would be a breach of rule 4.6 and you would have solid enough reasons to file a report.

Sign in to follow this