Server time (UTC): 2019-08-22, 23:16
Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Bring back the crosshair

Bring back the crosshair   

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey there dudes and dudettes, I was wondering if you guys think the crosshair should be reimplemented. I aint going to throw anyone under the bus here BUT, we all know a lot of people here use a crosshair to gain an advantage. 

Personally, I don't see why it was removed in the first place. I've seen the argument that it "clutters the UI" used a lot, but that's just not true. It doesn't clutter it any worse than all the cues on the screen to open doors or pick things up do. Also, you can toggle the UI off at the press of a button anyways. I think to allow people to gain an unfair advantage via putting a glob of duct tape in the center of their screen or, god forbid, using third party software to gain an unfair advantage on someone is dumb, it should be reimplemented to keep a level playing field. @Roland also said himself that there's basically no way to detect if someone's using third party software for a crosshair unless they sell themselves out in a screenshot or something...bring it back.

Something about this post speaks to me. I like it. Yes bring it back. There's no point in keeping it away other than to keep it for the people that like having an unfair advantage tbh. And as you said if someone thinks it's too ugly on their screen they literally can turn it off by holding the ` key so yeah. 

Ye I'd like it back in. Its garbage but pvp is part of the game so I don't see any reason for it to be gone.

My monitor has the built in feature to do this, and its untraceable and can't be 'caught'.

So does using, as Puncture said, a glob of tape, or one of those old O-style binder-ring fixers.

Not going to lie, I've never played DayZ unless it was on DayZRP, and I didn't realize the game actually had a crosshair until I read about it on the forum. I thought it was a 'realism' thing to encourage people to sight down the hardsights.

It won't 'break muh immersion' to have a crosshair.

PVP Upgrade, epic

Yeah I +1 this.

People are going to use a crosshair already, as has been proven already, so we might as well enable this to negate the advantage. If I’m not mistaken, you can turn off the crosshair in the settings menu in DayZ. I could be wrong about that tho. But if that is the case, then enabling the crosshair wouldn’t be an issue at all; people who don’t want to use it don’t have to.

Just now, Chernon said:

PVP Upgrade, epic

Not really, more like deterrent so that others that do the dark forbidden art of PVP don't have to square off against people using unfair out of game tactics to gain an advantage. 

Was there some recent revelation that just came up about people using crosshairs that provoked this? 

1 minute ago, Rover said:

Was there some recent revelation that just came up about people using crosshairs that provoked this? 

May or may not of been a report of a now permed player with a video of them using a crosshair.

this is more of an argument of be careful what you post as compared to reallowing crosshairs onto the game lmao.

but +1, asus monitord have one built in that’s completely untraceable even through recording software. 

Literally the easiest thing to sneak in and abuse, and honestly sick of having tape on my new monitor pepega 

but fr bring it back, no point in not having it if we have everything else on the UI

Crosshairs are neat, bring back please.

+1

I don't care but I like the idea of no crosshair because IMMERSION but I wouldn't be against bringing it back either. Doesn't matter to me either way, and if people are gonna cheat to use crosshairs may as well bring them back.

But, I hope it's not for the purpose of PvP 'cause we're here to RP and sometimes in RP you can't shoot ya shot so gud where there's a pew pew fire fight and having no crosshairs kinda helps display that. 

I disagree with this. Yes PVP is part of the game but there’s no need for one on an rp server. -1

Just now, sh4wzy said:

I disagree with this. Yes PVP is part of the game but I like using my acer monitor  -1

I knew it 😉

Jokes aside I mean, yes I see what you're saying, but PVP is prevalent on the server like it or not. And as someone that gets into PVP situations as a result of hostileRP frequently, I really do feel like i'm being shafted for NOT using third party software some days when someone who shall not be named but has admitted to using one before sprays me down. It's just a touch annoying to lose fights that you know you're losing sometimes because the person is using something as an unfair advantage. Where as if we add the crosshair back in it becomes a much more level playing field. 

I barely ever PvP so I dont really need a crosshair. If its possible to make it optional, go ahead and add it. Otherwise I will find it rather annoying and am against it.

Just now, Malet said:

I barely ever PvP so I dont really need a crosshair. If its possible to make it optional, go ahead and add it. Otherwise I will find it rather annoying and am against it.

There's already an option for it in your game settings, so if it is added, you can disable or enable it at your convenience 🙂 

Honestly, on second thought. Knowing how many hours some y’all Mfers, including myself have in this god awful game, is a crosshair really needed? I mean. The hours of A-D jog-walking with a gun up back in .62 should of been training enough to find the middle of the screen lol.

idk. I couldn’t care either way 

Could always use those things on the gun that help you aim at things. 

I don't think it would make rp sense to have it in the game. But then again if I had it my way, I would force all hud off and disable 3rd person.

I've been on PVP servers for a bit learning basically where the crosshair would be and I'm pretty sure I've adjusted to it now, but as you say I could just wack on a bit of blue tac and it would basically serve the same purpose as the crosshair, I reckon it should be optional, people who don't like to PVP often don't need to enable it, and those hostile groups who handle PVP on a daily basis can enable it for when they need it

Posted (edited)

Crosshair needed for campfire RP? No

Crosshair needed for Hostile RP? No

Crosshair needed for any other kind of RP? No

Crosshair needed for PVP? No (It will only make it easier)

If you care so much about winning firefights, join a PVP server.

Maybe people wouldnt get in PVP situations that often if they actually cared to perma their character and make progress in the lore. But alot of people rather PVP then surrender and RP. And if they die they just respawn. 

Big -1, its a RP server and not a PVP server. 

Edited by Jackfish

Just now, pk_cooler said:

Could always use those things on the gun that help you aim at things. 

I don't think it would make rp sense to have it in the game. But then again if I had it my way, I would force all hud off and disable 3rd person.

Yeah I was about to say if we're talking logic based things here, we wouldn't have any status indicators nor would we have ammo counters or anything like that. Also as someone that pvp's a fair amount, I can tell you that ADSing is in the minority of firefights. Most engagements take place less than five feet away. 

Personally, I'm good either way. I don't PvP that much, and when I do I either aim down sights at range, or have a decent idea of where to aim when hip firing at close. However, we DID have cross-hairs (Or at least the horrible curve-cross-hair.... thing) for years, and nobody really complained about immersion. I'd be completely fine with bringing it back, but like I said, I'm good either way.

Just now, Jackfish said:

Crosshair needed for campfire RP? No

Crosshair needed for Hostile RP? No

Crosshair needed for any other kind of RP? No

Crosshair needed for PVP? No (It will only make it easier)

If you care so much about winning firefights, join a PVP server.

Maybe people wouldnt get in PVP situations that often if they actually cared to perma their character and make progress in the lore. But alot of people rather PVP then surrender and RP. And if they die they just respawn. 

Big -1, its a RP server and not a PVP server. 

You're missing the point. It's to counter act people already using third party shit. 

Just now, Jack the Ripper said:

Personally, I'm good either way. I don't PvP that much, and when I do I either aim down sights at range, or have a decent idea of where to aim when hip firing at close. However, we DID have cross-hairs (Or at least the horrible curve-cross-hair.... thing) for years, and nobody really complained about immersion. I'd be completely fine with bringing it back, but like I said, I'm good either way.

Making it toggle-able without having to disable the whole UI would be a good middle ground if we can actually do it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jackfish said:

It will only make it easier

it would make firefights fair.

Edited by Puncture
correction

Just now, Puncture said:

No, it would make firefights fair.

No, not everyone uses third party software. 

This might be a RP server but there's many people that use third party shit or tape dots to their screen and that puts them at an advantage over you. If a crosshair is added, it makes everything equal.

But it would ruin screenshots tbh.