Server time (UTC): 2019-07-20, 08:41
Sign in to follow this  
groovy kase

Spicing up Roleplay?

Posted (edited)

So, regarding a discussion that was made earlier. Among all the cheeky banter, I saw one post that caught my eye in particular.

image.png.3a785293713fb984ba6355e9c36694e4.png

"There is pretty much fuck all to do apart from Rob people/ be a part of a hostile groups or sit around a campfire."

Before I even say anything, Traveler, this isn't a jab at you whatsoever, I Dm'd you on discord just to hopefully maybe change your mind or give you some consideration on ideas but this wasn't in a mean spirited way. I just thought I'd expand it here for those who may be agreeing with what he said.

I mean, in this sense. There's a wide variety of things you can do that don't limit you to the realm of possibility on this game. While yes, the game PREVENTS you from doing certain things. You have a text chat and you can rp plenty of things at the same time. Roleplay is only limited by the amount of creativity you have, the more people you got for a group/idea. The more you can expand your idea and others in your group toss their own that could help build and feed off the original one.

-Outpost RP: People can set up outposts (Which they have before) that can lead to some considerable RP as they have to scavenge for their camp/base and while they're out there they may encounter things or get to know eachother better.

-Exploration RP: People who don't know the land could easily set up a form of Cartography around the area, even help those who may be lost to help them learn the layout of the lands

-Gearhead RP: So this is branching a bit off from Mechanic RP but to expand on it, yeah. It's true that the cars are all the same on the server, but if you get someone to RP upgrading them or adding cool parts to them. (While you can't actually visually see them. You could describe them.)

-Traveling Trader RP: So similar to how some post apoc games have had it. There's certain traders that roam around by foot with a handful of security, they go town to town or you might encounter them on the road. (Yes there's the odd chance they get held up and robbed, which is what adds the risk but it could certainly be fun to encounter a traveling trader with security)

-FEMA RP (Or whatever the equivalent to FEMA is in LORE): Going around and taking blood samples from infected and non-infected individuals to help find a cure, could certainly be interesting story progression. While the game never specifically explains the origin, it doesn't hurt to still RP something like this out over a period of time.

-Resistance RP: So yes back to hostile RP, there will always be bad guys and good guys. And then the neutral. At some point of another, people will get fed up and will want to take up arms and go up against the bad guys, whether they fail at resisting or not. Don't get discouraged and just keep trying.

-Crime Family RP: Just like Russia has the Mafia/Mob. I'm sure there was a form of Criminal Syndicate in Chernarus as well? People could form Crime Family (doesn't mean they would hold people up.) They could push drugs, prostitution (which is what 24th is doing currently for their group goals and it's good to see.), run some kind of gambling scam. Things of the sort.

-Slaver/Slave RP: Another prime example that it doesn't need to be rob people. People who come around and capture (whitenames) or even old characters and turn them into slaves. This could certainly result in plenty of fruitful RP. (ie. Rescue attempts, torture RP, trading the slaves to other groups for whatever form of currency)

I could add a few more ideas, but I'm hoping I may have opened some minds up to some other possibilities and changed opinions a tad.

Feel free if you have other ideas to shoot as well! (If this is in the wrong category on the forums, I apologize.)

Edited by Kase

Posted (edited)

Issue with most of those examples is IMO that the people that are running about right now are either really fresh faces or old grunts that have pretty much seen it all and done it all before, most of the things you mentioned are ongoing right now but for most it's not there cup of tea I have tried running towns settlements etc and in all honesty it's not worth the hassle drama or bans.
Outposts would be cool but I feel they would have to be a permanent thing made by Admins that should only be allowed to be attacked every 2-3 hours by anyone after one attack the cooldown starts.
There should be hubs that should have the same concept as of now we have kab but even then that shit gets dog brained to death so idk what to do with that place anymore or even if it's worth maintaining.
At the end of the day RP is very generic right now cannibals are a joke crazy people are memes big dicking continues to thrive, I've even had two situations that have legit been staring at a tower or a concrete box for 1-3 hours being yelled at with memes dick swinging and shit talking as they know we cannot go up there due to how ladder mechanics work in the game.

Edited by Eagle

One of the good RP groups i met in standalone was the group that roamed around searching for cure or something, i remember being held hostage for a blood sample they wanted so they could investigate it.

I havent really seen that kind of RP for a while. i agree on that creating good RP is only limited by your imagination.

And the RP was pretty mutch done by text RP and by imagination. You dont need working game mechanics or items to do that

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

Issue with most of those examples is IMO that the people that are running about right now are either really fresh faces or old grunts that have pretty much seen it all and done it all before, most of the things you mentioned are ongoing right now but for most it's not there cup of tea I have tried running towns settlements etc and in all honesty it's not worth the hassle drama or bans.
Outposts would be cool but I feel they would have to be a permanent thing made by Admins that should only be allowed to be attacked every 2-3 hours by anyone after one attack the cooldown starts.
There should be hubs that should have the same concept as of now we have kab but even then that shit gets dog brained to death so idk what to do with that place anymore or even if it's worth maintaining.
At the end of the day RP is very generic right now cannibals are a joke crazy people are memes big dicking continues to thrive, I've even had two situations that have legit been staring at a tower or a concrete box for 1-3 hours being yelled at with memes dick swinging and shit talking as they know we cannot go up there due to how ladder mechanics work in the game.

It sounds like people are just giving up or are discouraged, I guess since I'm newer (Been on the server a month) I may not have experienced it on this server. But it could be refreshing for people to do it again for those that it may be their cup of tea.

Be the change you want to see on the server, no?

4 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Hopefully once the mod gets more developed in terms of radiation and base building the old grunts will have more to do 🙂

The game is what, 4 years old? And it's been in "alpha" state for all that time, it's a miracle anyone is still playing it. Of course people are bored. While other games like MMOs constantly add new features, areas and game mechanics through expansions, which give players new objectives or reasons to keep playing, DayZ has been standing still and often taking a few steps back for all these years. The best proof of that is that the game has been officially "released" and yet we're still waiting for old content to be re-added into the game.

So yeah, there's fuck all to do in game, and our small modding team of people with full time school and jobs can only create so much new stuff to make things interesting. It all relies on that groups and individuals create stories and events which brings people to the game. Cause it sure ain't the game content or mechanics. So I'm not surprised that a lot of content in game relies on conflict and PvP.

Posted (edited)

Im gonna be honest, RP these days is very boring.

There is 0 fear in the server, everyone runs around hunting for gear. Most people dont RP their injuries so rping as a doctor wont make sense. You need to ask permission to do anything to a person so people will just run up to anyone without being scared because they got a rulewall to hide behind.

Ive seen your suggestions.

Outpost RP: Ends up being attacked 24/7 or its turning into a trollRP compound. We need rules for outposts en people who protect and RP there other then being on the radio 24/7.

Exploration RP: Wont work, people will use the internet to get anywhere.

Traveling traders RP: They will get robbed 24/7

Fema RP: Already happening atm.

Resistance RP: Noone perma kills their character or surrender. If people would this would be possible but Yea.. 

Crime family RP: Only fun for the family, not for the people who need to provide.

Slave RP: Its gonna end up in firefights.

RP is not gonna be good if people dont change. More people need to care about their characters and have the balls to permakill their character if they get involved in firefights non-stop. We need some rules or people need to change to make RP great again.

Edited by Jackfish

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

all relies on that groups and individuals create stories and events which brings people to the game. Cause it sure ain't the game content or mechanics. So I'm not surprised that a lot of content in game relies on conflict and PvP.

Exactly.  DayzRP has always sort of suceeded despite the game being what it is.

The voip system works(ish), the map has a massive layout, that can work in RP, and that's about it.

People who have been willing to try new things are the ones that have made it better, the stories we create are what make it interesting, that the "stuff you can do in game"

I mean, I'm not sure if people are taking my post as me saying it has to necessarily be game content or mechanics. I was more referring to the creativity of ones brain using even pure text RP to create a landscape or paint a picture in someones mind 🙂

58 minutes ago, Kase said:

-FEMA RP (Or whatever the equivalent to FEMA is in LORE): Going around and taking blood samples from infected and non-infected individuals to help find a cure, could certainly be interesting story progression. While the game never specifically explains the origin, it doesn't hurt to still RP something like this out over a period of time.

Some interesting ideas in the original post.

We tried the Fema type group in the last lore and it was a lot of fun

We disbanded as a few main group members dropped out, and we had a tough time recruiting, but if anyone is looking for some inspiration, fill your boots.

33 minutes ago, Roland said:

The game is what, 4 years old? And it's been in "alpha" state for all that time, it's a miracle anyone is still playing it. Of course people are bored. While other games like MMOs constantly add new features, areas and game mechanics through expansions, which give players new objectives or reasons to keep playing, DayZ has been standing still and often taking a few steps back for all these years. The best proof of that is that the game has been officially "released" and yet we're still waiting for old content to be re-added into the game.

So yeah, there's fuck all to do in game, and our small modding team of people with full time school and jobs can only create so much new stuff to make things interesting. It all relies on that groups and individuals create stories and events which brings people to the game. Cause it sure ain't the game content or mechanics. So I'm not surprised that a lot of content in game relies on conflict and PvP.

so what im hearing roland is..

namalsk server soon™ ? 😄

I figure it's fair to say RP in a general sense is dependant on the general tone and flow of RP server wide, the server storyline if you will.

I think that the storyline of the server has been in a rut recently. 

The storyline is very much dependant on the groups of the server, they're the organizations, movements, and bands that create settlements, spread their message, and accomplish various goals which, in theory, should keep RP fresh and interesting. 

The problem being that the dynamic between groups is stuck. 

First, from my perspective, there are no powerful Lawful/neutral Good groups. I fully understand that hero groups can be a pain to run but as it stands the vast majority of groups are either neutral or evil, which means that the rest of the player base, (solo's, newbies, dynamics, etc...) kinda get shafted/robbed/strongarmed.  

Also, the majority of these groups are basically separated into two factions: the big super alliance that's been around since the war against the saviors, and loner groups that are hostile to everyone. Of course, there are a few exceptions but for the big groups, it's pretty much how it is.

Piggybacking on Jackfish

14 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

There is 0 fear in the server, everyone runs around hunting for gear.

Pretty much the result of what I've previously said. Big groups are constantly waging war and taking everything that isn't nailed down so people are numb to it and it gets stale. It's part of the reason Kamenici always comes from the woods, because 0 fps firefights are poop, it cultivates this ominous feeling that we could jump out from behind any tree and scare the shit out of you, as opposed to running into town mass initiating.

Personally, I believe the big groups should review their goals, both written and private, and consider what they actually want to get out of their story. NOTE: I'm talking about groups in general

TL;DR Bring back FLL true neutral Pulkovo

ahh the game is old and shit

There is just how mutch you can do atm. The game is a bit stale 

And roleplay hm most things have been done a 100 times alredy. Edgy roleplay are just meme atm

I'm very new to this server so I don't carry much of a big voice as most of the information I know has been from other player experiences.  And heck at this phase it's sounding like a lot of other similar RP experiences from Arma 3 life etc.  Games might change, but people won't, so I got some hunch of how stuff here works.

We came in with a big idea of a research group. Within the first few days of getting some good RP in and starting a base of operations, we got griefed.  Granted they were banned for that and that is a glimmer of hope for this server. There -are- rules.  But there are also so many loopholes to get around them and when there are some, you can bet your ass that the people who want to just take your shit will justify it anyway they can to fit into the mold of "RP" for them. Hence out of 4 people I am the most active at the moment, heck I don't even know if the rest are gonna even actively play after that bad taste left in their mouth of the raid.

But to the point.  I agree to the fact that in opposition to stand against the "evil" groups, there needs to be some lawful ones, pvp isn't bad, nor should it be demonized, it's a part of the game. The rules being too strict will drive away people, one way or the other. So I won't stick into the rules, as I think was mentioned above it's a issue for the community to solve, not for the admins to whip at unless it goes to griefing and breaking rules. 

Like I rambled on in Discord, letting people build up communities of more "neutral" people in villages spread out in a small ceasefire for example, will give more RP to the more hostile factions as well. Favoring that balance, catering to neither one.  Examples of this: 

GROUP GOOD GUYS -  Form a village, a community based around rules, a common goal so the RP doesn't grow stale. Let's say  "To get blood samples to test against a cure".  Have weekly events like traveling to the South to a certain location decided to get a refrigeration unit large enough to hold all the blood samples and it's only in a lab in let's say Berezino. Mini missions each week, each day. 

GROUP BAD GUYS -  Hear of such a village, wait for it to be fat and ripe for a raid. Show up in a big squad, intimidate, extort, or heck even firefight if it comes down to it. Leave. Take a hostage to keep the village compliant, demand weekly taxes of bullets, meat or whatever.

GROUP GOOD GUYS -  Hire a mercenary group to protect the village for a similar taxation system.

GROUP BAD GUYS -  Fight in a scheduled agreed on event or just a random attack on an active time

Good guys get rp and pvp, bad guys get rp and pvp. 

GRANTED this is all very community reliant, but like said above in other replies, if enough people band together to build something, the sooner we can get some balanced out RP for both spectrums of player.  The more neutral types, the hardcore pvp'ers, heck even a mixture of both. I am currently in the process of seeing how much interest  there would be to start a village community like this. So if you're interested in trying it out until we are LOLRAIDED, gimme a holler.

Posted (edited)

Here is an alternative I've seen happen recently.

Us boys in Kameníci walked up to a small settlement and demanded entry.

Guess what happened?

They opened the doors, came out and talked to us.

Why?

Because they realised that fighting it was futile, they were both outnumbered and outgunned, and fighting against it would ultimately lead to their demise.

Did we rob them? No, we easily could have, and if the situation called for it we probably would have, but that isn't really the point.

The point I want to make with Settlement RP is that groups inside of the settlements hardly ever give in or give up, they refuse to open their doors, refuse to negotiate and they refuse to acknowledge defeat, leading to endless and endless fighting that nobody really benefits from.

If bandits are a problem, if they are fucking with your settlements, why not try to cater to them? Try to reason with them on their terms, and the next time they come along they might be more lenient, hell they may even be allies.

Edited by Ducky

4 hours ago, Kase said:

Outpost RP - People already do trading areas and they normally get griefed, broken into or give up because the the wipe

Exploration RP: People who don't know the land could easily set up a form of Cartography around the area, even help those who may be lost to help them learn the layout of the lands - This would be a great kind of roleplay style or heck even a realtors to sell houses to people within South Zagoria.

-Gearhead RP: - @Jaxon Did the Black Bear garage but with the amount of glitches with cars, a lot of people are offput by them. Plus it'd be nice to see trucks and buses back into the game so possible taxi services are used.

-Traveling Trader RP: - I see this a lot in game where people carry around Alice backpacks and trade guns etc. Very common RP.

-FEMA RP (Or whatever the equivalent to FEMA is in LORE): Going around and taking blood samples from infected and non-infected individuals to help find a cure, could certainly be interesting story progression. While the game never specifically explains the origin, it doesn't hurt to still RP something like this out over a period of time.- Agreed, myself @Dinoand a few others went around the map counting how many infected where in the area and did full on detailed research using the game mechanics. People would have to be really dedicated to do this. It took myself and a group of 8 2 and 1/2 days to go to every town and city to count how many infected where there. Calculated the population affected most likely in South Zagoria and used it as an attempt to inform people. Here are links to show:

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/88199-research-information-going-public-from-who-employee-open-frequency/

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/88192-infection-strain-rna-theories-and-clues/ [This includes photos of a book I used to mark down everything as proof also, as written about above]

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/88694-documentation-and-blood-bags-for-who-research - This is the blood bag roleplay I attempted to do with people to use for the lore but yeaaaaaaaaaa.

-Crime Family RP: - We do have this with some groups like the vatos group but Roach (Tony Moretti provided this a few months back)

-Slaver/Slave RP: Another prime example that it doesn't need to be rob people. People who come around and capture (whitenames) or even old characters and turn them into slaves. This could certainly result in plenty of fruitful RP. (ie. Rescue attempts, torture RP, trading the slaves to other groups for whatever form of currency) - There have been the Brokers and Karmínový Noci but they haven't lasted as long because people were permabanned or because people didn't want to join the group. It would be nice to see something like this perused again.

I am just glad the discussion is being had tbh, as I fell this shit is the very heart and soul of the problems we have. 

I hold the views I have because I saw a bloody brilliant group come back a few months ago... the Free Medics, and saw them get ripped apart by the boredom of other people. People starting shit and getting to the point where 3 separate wars were declared against them in one week... and they were a neutral pacifist group that literally started 0 of the conflicts 0_0 

I don't blame the people who started shit though... they are bored, we all are bored, this game is so bare bones, and I 100% agree with Rolle's sentiments. We have a mod team working overtime to improve our options of RP, but there is only so much they can do with their spare time + with tools that are bare bones at best. 

Most the options stated above are dependant on us all having a small suspension of disbelief / practicality.

And do not get me wrong mate, I look at your ideas and I see the plethora of shit I've suggested / tried to start up, but over 2 years of pushing I've come to the following conclusions. 

8 hours ago, Kase said:

-Outpost RP: People can set up outposts (Which they have before) that can lead to some considerable RP as they have to scavenge for their camp/base and while they're out there they may encounter things or get to know eachother better.

-Exploration RP: People who don't know the land could easily set up a form of Cartography around the area, even help those who may be lost to help them learn the layout of the lands
Why explore when you can get all the gear you want within a 2km radius + look at the dayz map online (which I guarantee 99% of us do) 

-Gearhead RP: So this is branching a bit off from Mechanic RP but to expand on it, yeah. It's true that the cars are all the same on the server, but if you get someone to RP upgrading them or adding cool parts to them. (While you can't actually visually see them. You could describe them.)

As stated, cars are buggy as shit right now, at least half the server is scared to even touch them for normal game purposes, let alone RP... noone wants to become a space man.

-Traveling Trader RP: So similar to how some post apoc games have had it. There's certain traders that roam around by foot with a handful of security, they go town to town or you might encounter them on the road. (Yes there's the odd chance they get held up and robbed, which is what adds the risk but it could certainly be fun to encounter a traveling trader with security)

Once tried to start a trading consortium with several towns and build a mini empire... sad truth is people get bored within a week as they just want to talk to people, and noone visits there town as there is no practical reason to do so. Back in the day medical shit was only found on the shore, military stuff mainly found in the west... nowadays you can get everything you want / need within a 2km radius of anywhere on the map pretty much. 

Travelling Trade is therefore pointless, and the only incentive to do it is "it's something to do"... but it comes back to the age old of point of people get bored of shit that isn't needed pretty fucking quickly 😞

Honestly I wished the LM's did more of this shit, like making a few lore documents and putting a list up somewhere like "if someone can get 30 unique blood samples and prove through video to us they did so, we will release some new info / maybe host an event around the info you obtain". But once again people can do this, but will get bored quickly if there is no actual benefit mechanics or "Official Lore" wise...

-Resistance RP: So yes back to hostile RP, there will always be bad guys and good guys. And then the neutral. At some point of another, people will get fed up and will want to take up arms and go up against the bad guys, whether they fail at resisting or not. Don't get discouraged and just keep trying.

As pointed out by others, this shit gets old fast because there is no negatives to dying. I have seen almost every resistance die after a week or 2 due to "Well fuck all is happening and the group we are resisting OOC fucking loves firefights, so will just keep this shit going". I'm not saying we change people's loves and what not, but jesus christ we should have some consequences to getting roflstomped in a firefight related to a war. 

-Crime Family RP: Just like Russia has the Mafia/Mob. I'm sure there was a form of Criminal Syndicate in Chernarus as well? People could form Crime Family (doesn't mean they would hold people up.) They could push drugs, prostitution (which is what 24th is doing currently for their group goals and it's good to see.), run some kind of gambling scam. Things of the sort.

Once again, with the rarity of items that arn't M4's being null and void, and most groups being "If you even look at us the wrong way we are gonna fucking chop ur legs off" there isn't much room for crime familys that go round hard pushing people and setting up drug syndicates. If there were more mechanical things to do that would aim the crime family style, then hey i'd be all for it. But once again it comes down to boredom after a week or 2 of doing stuff but it boiling down to firefights. 

-Slaver/Slave RP: Another prime example that it doesn't need to be rob people. People who come around and capture (whitenames) or even old characters and turn them into slaves. This could certainly result in plenty of fruitful RP. (ie. Rescue attempts, torture RP, trading the slaves to other groups for whatever form of currency)

If there was shit for Slaves to do other than looting and being overglorified backpacks I'd be all for it. I.E: Mechanics in game that require grind : Mining stones for increased durability base building, fishing not being a broken mess, farming being usefull but not useless to continue after one full 20 minute farm patch etc etc Without actual shit to do, it boils down to there being shit all to do as a slave if you don't have friends trying to rescue you... which once again boils down to firefights.

The bottom line is this game is not catered to RP. The mods we used to play in the "Good old days" had a shit more stuff to do. Sure it was clunky, but it was hand tailoured for communities like ours with love and care and time. 

I do not doubt the ability of our dev team, but I do doubt the basic bitch mod tools they've been given by the DayZSA Devs. 

I pushed for over a year to get us over to Arma 3 (Something I half regret now) but only because I knew mod tools were already 100% amazeballs over there. I still standby we need a proper set of mod tools so we can turn this game into the platform for RP we want it to be. 

Until then this game will always boil down to what it was designed to be... a test bench for the Arma 4 engine... a PvP game with a few survival elements shat in. 

Damn I shouldn't have read this thread, now my previously spent 8+ hours feel less exciting from what I remember, because everything that you guys mentioned, has happened to me. 

To give you my perspective, I have returned after leaving DayZ for approximately 2 Years. Now that I have returned, sometimes I feel like the new kid in a classroom, there are clicks already where you don't fit in, you might try and start your own, but no one will be interested in it.

From how I see it so far is that there are basic RP Personalities, Players. 

• We have those people who are simply put: bandits, 2-3 people robbing you in the dead of night, regardless whether they are part of a 20 member faction. 
  • We have people trying to set up a community place, pub/restaurant/trade outposts etc. not receiving many recognition. 
  • We have some players being the good guys, in their huge settlement.
  • We've also got the lone wolves/lone wanderers, just acting as civilians, travelling from one place to the other, only to find themselves sitting in the corner of the settlement listening to everyone rambling, messing around, not finding their place. I am not ashamed to admit, that would be me. 

Note that I have nothing against any of the previously mentioned people, groups or factions.

I've been reading this off and on so I may have forgotten where I read things or what not but ANYWAYS...

Someone said basically the cornerstone of my perspective: Be the change you want to see.

If you love the community at its base, and you must because you're still here fighting for it, then take ownership of the issues you feel the community has. If you are bored, evaluate why and what you'd like to see more of and then either create it or empower other's to create it. No matter the grudges we have against others for whatever reason, at the end of the day we're all here because we like this game on some level and enough of the people in it to want to waste hours at a time with them. RP is all about collaboration and marketing yourself. Make characters you would love to interact with, don't wait around for someone else to do it. Make storylines that get you excited. Understand that you are the star of your story but you are also the support character of everyone else's, so we need to share the spotlight. Ask about the people you meet, figure them out, help them grow. If you see a "whitename" struggling, lend a hand to help them get better. 

TL;DR: Adding spice to your roleplay is a personal thing and needs to start with you. Be the change you want to see, develop those who aren't at the standards you want them to be.

43 minutes ago, Xehara said:

I've been reading this off and on so I may have forgotten where I read things or what not but ANYWAYS...

Someone said basically the cornerstone of my perspective: Be the change you want to see.

If you love the community at its base, and you must because you're still here fighting for it, then take ownership of the issues you feel the community has. If you are bored, evaluate why and what you'd like to see more of and then either create it or empower other's to create it. No matter the grudges we have against others for whatever reason, at the end of the day we're all here because we like this game on some level and enough of the people in it to want to waste hours at a time with them. RP is all about collaboration and marketing yourself. Make characters you would love to interact with, don't wait around for someone else to do it. Make storylines that get you excited. Understand that you are the star of your story but you are also the support character of everyone else's, so we need to share the spotlight. Ask about the people you meet, figure them out, help them grow. If you see a "whitename" struggling, lend a hand to help them get better. 

TL;DR: Adding spice to your roleplay is a personal thing and needs to start with you. Be the change you want to see, develop those who aren't at the standards you want them to be.

Yeah I was the one who said that, and I agree. I have been implementing my own RP where I can but it's a team effort 🙂

Posted (edited)

We need more people to stand up and create interesting plots. We had a few key roleplayers back in the day that came up with really interesting stories. We can all sit here wishing for things to be different but it all starts with you, the player.

I don't know when the most recent server wide event took place, but that would be really nice as well. Something that brought people together back in the Mod days was a bigger force of evil which was a threat to everyone in the server. I realize that it might be harder to accomplish something like that in DayZ's current state, but it's not impossible. Even if the threat is less visible, I feel that it a 'Council' type villain group (like back in the mod days) could bring groups together.

What I really liked about those events back in the day was that groups had to set their differences aside (for a moment) to deal with a bigger threat. From those events came better diplomacy and basically the whole scale of allies and enemies changed. It basically forced people to work with each other and because of that, they better understood the motivation behind certain characters and groups.

Those server wide events played a big part in character development. I remember running into enemies whom I was forced to work alongside with for a brief period of time. After the event ended, I encountered my enemies again. Guess what? The dynamic changed. Even though we still did not see eye to eye, there was some form of respect for each other. Where as before, firefights happened pretty much the second our groups mobilized, we were now figuring out ways to exist alongside each other. Naturally conflict still happened but it took longer. There was more of a build up.

Basically what I am trying to say is that If the direction of the story seems to keep going one way, you need something or someone to change things up. RP can get stale if you keep doing the same thing over and over again.

Edited by Red

What red has put above is right, server events help alot but also the player needs to put in effort to make changes.

the 1 huge problem i see compared to the mod and early SA days is that noone wants to join groups. Before we would have about 15-25 groups 5or so would have 30 members and all the groups would have various playstyles and storylines that would end up leaking into another group with alliances, wars and trade being the final product.

Groups are a great way for members to make new friends and get a community spirit going. They are also fantastic for new members as they can help teach them the rules.

The big issue i see is that currently Gear>RP. Any new member ive robbed so far all moans and asks for their gun back or their military backpack. This attitude needs to stop particularly with the new members who some seem like they are here just to loot and stash gear then moan when they lose it.