Server time (UTC): 2019-07-16, 17:16
Sign in to follow this  
Annoying Rooster

Anyone live in Vietnam play here?

I feel kind of funny and awkward at the same time asking this question, but I'm looking for anyone who is from Vietnam or has extensive knowledge of the region, preferably the Da Nang region. Let me explain real quick.

This funny looking old man in the photo at the bottom between me and my brother is my grandfather. An old Irish man who served in the Vietnam War in the 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines as an 0311 (Rifleman) but was placed as an 0331 (Machinegunner) upon arrival at An Hoa Firebase in the Da Nang region. Being both soldiers in the US Armed Forces, he opened up more to me about his time in Vietnam and the PTSD he suffers. He's the sole survivor from his squad. He was bit by a mosquito and contracted malaria. The day he returned, he was put on light duty where he gave his weapon to a new soldier in the unit. His squad went out that very same night when he said goodbye to the bush on a combat operation to counter the NVA where they all walked into an ambush and all but one was killed by the NVA in a ten hour firefight.

He suffers from survivors guilt and hasn't been able to forgive himself for leaving behind his comrades. He's seen his brothers in arms dead infront of him countless times where they had a Mulligins Stew, where they were so hungry and had no food that they mixed whatever they had be it crackers or fudge brownies and laughed it off. I've seen this battle hardened warrior cry right infront of me as he relived those painful memories, and it broke my heart.

So I made a vow, and with my brother's support (also a combat soldier) that we would go to Vietnam and take him with us back to Da Nang who he hasn't been back in over fifty years and return to An Hoa and hopefully find NVA/Vietnam Veterans on the opposite side, so he could break bread and bring closure in his life. He holds absolutely no animosity to the Vietnamese people or the NVA, he thinks that they're incredibly warriors who were only fighting for their country and has nothing but respect for them. 

We want our grandfather to heal, because he watched as others around him pay the ultimate sacrifice while he was forced to go on living and carry the weight. We're willing to do whatever we can in our power to make this happen, and while I'm still young and have the resources and money to do so, I can't do it alone. If anyone has any recommendations on helping me finding some kind of a reunion or a way to help make this trip more smoother or just give me a better insight like places to eat and what not, I would highly appreciate any support. So far we're flying to Da Nang to stay at the Tourane Hotel and spending 6-7 days in Da Nang and the surrounding area/returning to his old firebase and have him "make peace with the Vietnamese" like he says he wants to. And I hope that we can make that happen and provide him with the closure he so wants and the joy he would have to make peace with his haunting pass.

I love you, Grandpa.

13769455_1105049629533220_23659973032318

Your grandpa looks like a solid bloke. If I were you I'd just get a trip organizer, they probably have good packages and good prices, depends where you're flying from though, Vietnam is pretty far away and plane tickets alone will most likely be pricey, stay should be cheap though - just get an airbnb. For local tours airbnb also has the 'experiences' thing which seems pretty good and might have some nice things for you and your grandfather to do so check that out as well.

You can get ultra modern capsule hotels for like 25 bucks a night.

Thank you ya'll so much for the responses. I'mma definitely use these as options here in the future when we start planning the trip in around a month.