Server time (UTC): 2019-11-22, 06:31
Sign in to follow this  
Queerios

Amendment to NLR/New Character Creation Rule

Would you like to see a Rule/Amendment like this implemented?   

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"3.4 When your character dies you lose all memories from the situation that lead to your death. You also must stay away from the location where you died for 1 hour and not get involved again with the situation that lead to your death. Server restarts, crashes or other OOC events do not affect these restrictions or time limit. This is known as "New Life Rule" (NLR)."

I’ve been wanting to make this thread for a short while, but when I brought the topic up in Discord it seemed like there was something that happened recently, that relates to what this thread is about, that I was unaware of. As such, I've left it a week or so and, I’ll preface the thread by saying this: This discussion wasn’t prompted by something that happened in the community, nor is it aimed at anyone, its something that I observed that I thought was strange. Anyways, on to my proposal itself…

What I’m suggesting is an amendment to the New Life Rule (Rule 3.4), or the creation of a new rule altogether, that states that any new character you make cannot have intimate/detailed knowledge of any of your previous characters. What is meant by this isn't that your characters can't know of each other, more that they can't share any information gained through roleplay on the server between them. I’ve always found that a rule like this stops metagaming, as it stops people from creating characters and finding a contrived reason that they will have the same knowledge as their old character, its shortens the span of conflicts and keeps them from getting stale, as you can no longer create characters with revenge in mind, and it also makes PK’ing a character have a lot more weight to it as, once that character is gone, a carbon copy isn’t going to spring up immediately after.

The reason I found the omission of a rule like this strange is because practically every community I’ve been in previously, from SA:MP to GTA:V to Conan etc etc, have all enforced a similar rule to this. I understand that people like to play family members or friends of their previous characters, and I think that still should be allowed, but I believe it needs to be ruled that you can't share information across characters as, not only does it lessen the impact of killing off a character but, it also can get quite metagamey.

So, let me know what you think. I understand people might have their objections to this and I'm more than happy to discuss them with the community. 

TL;DR - Proposing an amendment to the NLR/creation of a new rule to stop people sharing information between their characters, more specifically between characters that have died(PK'd) and the new characters they create. 

No. What if I make a sibling character, someone from my characters backstory, etc? Hell one of the best roleplayers we ever had here streamed/made YouTube video's on his characters and two of the more iconic ones he did were siblings. Hard pass from me.

This happened to me, where one player I had RP'd with made a new character that was friends and had served with the first character, and passed on the information between them so when I met the second character he did the whole 'Oh hey! My friend told me about you!' thing.

Didn't really bother me. I can see it being abused in certain cases, but the issue is (much like metagaming can be in some cases) its nearly impossible to prove how the information came to the person. Maybe other players in the same group filled him in, it would be far too hard to police any new change.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Queerios said:

I understand that people like to play family members or friends of their previous characters, and I think that still should be allowed

38 minutes ago, Jasper said:

No. What if I make a sibling character, someone from my characters backstory, etc? Hell one of the best roleplayers we ever had here streamed/made YouTube video's on his characters and two of the more iconic ones he did were siblings. Hard pass from me.

To reiterate, and I probably didn't make this clear enough, I don't want friends/family/backstory relation characters to be banned, more that the information that one character gains through roleplay on the server cannot transfer to their friend/family/whatever in the case that the original character dies.

Edited by Queerios

Isn't "any new character you make having intimate/detailed knowledge of any of your previous characters" considered metagaming? I mean, you didn't learn this information ICly while in game as the new character, nor do I highly doubt that you'd be sending self RC's or typed out letters to make that information canon. Regardless, no one does that anyways.

You can metagame yourself, though it's not really enforced at all because how can anyone prove you didn't "totally call up my brother before my death and told him that x, y and z are jerks and would be the reason I died." Then rock up in the country and meet up with your old chars. buddies to get revenge or something similar?

I think as long as it's not abused it doesn't matter, really. It's when people use it as a reason to start hostilities without forming a actual story with other chars. or use a alt as a excuse to skirt rules in place, then it's a issue. But if you see that happening, then you advise the Staff Team. I don't think another rule is required, plus it would be near impossible to enforce.

Any RP'er worth their weight will find creative ways to obtain that information without saying "oh my old char. totally told my new char. all of this", sometimes a lack of information from a previous char. of yours is a good basis to start from! Say ,for example, you are the brother of your recently murdered char. how awesome would the RP be if you found out while IG/ICly that your brother was dead after searching for him for a few days? You could totally build off of that! Character arc moment right there. But innocuous stuff like, "I heard your name before you were a nice dude to my brother" or something isn't that bad and I don't see why we shouldn't allow it.

33 minutes ago, Brayces said:

But innocuous stuff like, "I heard your name before you were a nice dude to my brother" or something isn't that bad and I don't see why we shouldn't allow it.

Absolutely agree on this point, as a starting point for RP I don't have an issue with it, its when it is used to continue RP or used to give a new character a plethora of information from a previous character is were I take issue, as I assume everyone would. 

This rule seems alright and kinda explanes what everyone should do when making a new character. But how would you prove this in a Rule Break situation? Anyone could just say 'Oh a guy from my opd characters group told me everything and now I'm basicly the same dude!'  I mean no RP would need to go down for them to say it did, people would still meta or make characters just the same as the old ones with different names. 

I like the sound of it, but it would be hard to get proof of someone actually doing it.

Naw from me. People always refuse to perma right now, I cant imagine what it would be like with this rule.

I mean... you're not allowed to transfer information between characters that you own (i.e.: siblings telling each other shit). I don't see why we need to crack down on people creating character's brothers / sisters etc. 

I'm gonna have to say no on this one as to have had multiple characters with interconnecting story lines. I feel if it is not being abused, and is strictly used to further the RP experience for those involved and around you, than it should be allowed.

For example, I had 2 characters, one a normal guy, and one a psycho. In order to explain for the absence of the normal guy, it was introduced that the psycho character of mine was holding the normal one hostage, torturing and questioning him, etc., and the story that branched off of it I would say was one of the most interesting things I'd say for many, if not all the people involved in it heavily, eventually leading to a full on rescue mission and death of the psycho character.

This is already a thing new characters can't be transferred that Intel as that is meta/powergaming.

In the past it was always a rule that you couldnt share IC info between your own characters as its metagaming. Dunno where this changed as its exactly what metagaming is.

you could create characters that knew of eachother but you could never use the information between them.

I mean, I get where you're coming from in theory but there are easily ways around it which shouldn't realistically be punishable.

I could make a new character and 'bump' into a friend and as we get to know each other through the introductory RP he tells me of my old character like it was some Homer-esq Epic, for example. Not to mention if your character was (in)famous or very well known in the region of South Zagoria, word might spread to other people and sources, etc, etc.

What Brayces said, what you are suggesting is already a given. Any information magically shared between two different characters is metagaming.

Enforcing that is a whole different story.

A no from me. Making siblings / friends / family characters (who you are going to play all of them as) is basically frowned upon as information can be meta-gamed. You can have a story of them being family and knowing them or whatever but sharing intel from what happened ICly without learning it from another person it meta-gaming.