Server time (UTC): 2019-07-16, 17:13
Sign in to follow this  
Butthead

Log Out Timer

So. I noticed the log out timer is adjusted to 5 seconds now. I would assume that this is to give a light buffer to combat logging or logging in front of people during RP. Makes sense I guess... I just have one thing to say about it.

I would like to suggest it be put back to an instantaneous logout again for one simple reason...

Server stability. 

I just died to a common issue in which I lag or the server lags (because my internet is perfectly fine, already fixed it with ISP and friends are conveniently getting same lag as me) and the zombies begin gang raping you in a location you're not actually at on client-side. 

Now. Before? I used to be able to just instantly log and save myself. I would wait a minute and join back in and the zombies would have dispersed and I would be battered but alive. Now however... I sit there for 5 seconds and it's game over. It's nothing I can control and it's extremely infuriating to die to being mobbed from lag. 

In a perfect world, sure keep the log out delay because in a perfect world there is no lag so we can say "git gud" and try and avoid the infected. As it is now however... my one and only defense to being lag raped by the infected is gone and essentially I just gotta.... stay out of cities because if I don't I might get lag smacked. 

Thoughts and opinions welcome. I'm not particularly happy that I died from being surrounded despite being visually 40m away from the horde that was "killing" me

I liked having no logout timer as it helped a lot with performance stuff. Combat logging is weird since they could check logs anyway.

I love this new timer.

+1

I also prefer the instantaneous logout. I is true that sometimes the server starts going too slow, and, if you are just fighting the infected at that time it is not good.

I agree, if someone combat logs then report it and they will be punished. No need to implement a five second log out timer here.

I believe the five second timer is a DayZ thing to prevent people from ghosting / disconnecting to avoid being killed. With the combat logging rule, it is unnecessary. +1

Logging out to avoid being killed by zombies seems abit abuse of game mechanics if you ask me. 

It wasn't added to help with logging out, it was added to help with logging in, because if too many people load in at once too quickly after crash or restart, the performance tanks.

Also like you said, insta logout from any PvE danger made things too easy 

46 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Logging out to avoid being killed by zombies seems abit abuse of game mechanics if you ask me. 

I feel like you completely missed the point? I touched on this already.

"In a perfect world, sure keep the log out delay because in a perfect world there is no lag so we can say "git gud" and try and avoid the infected."

I'm saying that if not for lag being a huge factor here, I would agree with you completely that it is abusing a mechanic to avoid a cruel fate. That is not the case though. I don't know how you could at all argue that I should just suck it up and die to the server lagging and deciding I am somewhere that I am not on my screen and having zombies mob the server's position for me and having absolutely no way to combat it.

38 minutes ago, Roland said:

It wasn't added to help with logging out, it was added to help with logging in, because if too many people load in at once too quickly after crash or restart, the performance tanks.

Also like you said, insta logout from any PvE danger made things too easy 

Well, again, as I stated. In a perfect world, I would condemn the ability to simply log out and avoid your fate of death to infected. In a perfect world, the server would run stable with 100 people. That's not the case. Sadly, it does not. As a result, I am not being fairly killed by the PvE aspect of this game. I am being unfairly stuck in a position that I am not actually in and then the infected proceed to kill me from that spot despite the client side showing me not even being there. If performance is the goal, I guess I would say I am on board with anything that improves performance but this isn't about avoiding dying to infected. It's about dying to lag.

1 hour ago, KnightsTemplar said:

Well, again, as I stated. In a perfect world, I would condemn the ability to simply log out and avoid your fate of death to infected. In a perfect world, the server would run stable with 100 people. That's not the case. Sadly, it does not. As a result, I am not being fairly killed by the PvE aspect of this game. I am being unfairly stuck in a position that I am not actually in and then the infected proceed to kill me from that spot despite the client side showing me not even being there. If performance is the goal, I guess I would say I am on board with anything that improves performance but this isn't about avoiding dying to infected. It's about dying to lag.

I understand that, but we cannot completely undermine PvE difficulty and let people just log out instantly when in danger, because sometimes zombies lag. Server is full like 3-5% of its total uptime and the serious lag happens only during that time. I believe it is a fair compromise that we sacrifice the ability to escape certain bugs during that 3-5% of time, in order to preserve the PvE challenge and difficulty for the remaining 95-97% of time.

Any way we could change the Spawn in Timer and make the disconnect timer shorter? But I understand this, its not that people are logging to avoid Zombies, they logging to go to sleep or something. If your client isn't where they should be then players and infected can kill you. As well as discon. Honestly this is something we sadly need to deal with and the insta log seems to cause more issues with the server than having a few times where you get DayZed. Perfect world, change it, but its a required evil. 

10 hours ago, Roland said:

I understand that, but we cannot completely undermine PvE difficulty and let people just log out instantly when in danger, because sometimes zombies lag. Server is full like 3-5% of its total uptime and the serious lag happens only during that time. I believe it is a fair compromise that we sacrifice the ability to escape certain bugs during that 3-5% of time, in order to preserve the PvE challenge and difficulty for the remaining 95-97% of time.

I suppose I can agree. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though. In the end DayZ is a game of compromise anyway. You make sacrifices to make certain stuff work as good as it can and ignore other issues. Hopefully one day the Devs can get optimization to a better place. 

@Roland Just curious, is avoiding PvE dangers, such as being surrounded by zombies, and then logging out to escape danger allowed or against the rules?

I have been told it's okay if you're alone, and not currently RP-ing with another player who can witiness you doing so.

Such as in this instance... 

Spoiler

20190310214848_1.jpg.b126c8e12929ebb43650026d0fe04a3c.jpg

10 hours ago, CamoRP said:

@Roland Just curious, is avoiding PvE dangers, such as being surrounded by zombies, and then logging out to escape danger allowed or against the rules?

I have been told it's okay if you're alone, and not currently RP-ing with another player who can witiness you doing so.

Such as in this instance... 

Reveal hidden contents

Personally I don't like it, but I'm not going to pursue you to try to get you banned.

So it's definetly not allowed, but also not against the rules. More like frowned upon.