Server time: 2019-04-20, 07:18
The Nikitin Prodejna - Trade Post Event
TOMORROW | 2019-04-21 17:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 1 day, 9 hours, 41 minutes | Chernogorsk Docks | Peaceful
J1988Dizzle

Alpha Company 3-34 [Always Recruiting]

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, J1988Dizzle said:

-Snip-

Brooooo, this is a video game tf? I think by getting this dudes IP you are taking shit way to far.

But I mean if you can get someones IP, I would prefer if you don't try anything with mine lmao

Just gonna reiterate what Zannan said, you probably shouldn't be be out here grabbing people's IP

Edited by Viking

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, J1988Dizzle said:

With the large expansion of Alpha Company, the mass recruitment, and numerous platoons to operate and monitor simultaneously. Technical staff was hired to run background checks on potential recruits, and existing members who activities were questionable. The information we provide individuals back for review, can easily be obtained via the world wide web. Cross referencing online gaming accounts with online gaming servers, gaming websites, etc. As for the more detailed information, I unfortunately cannot personally complete the process. But anyone who has gone to school focusing primarily on these skills, AKA a majority of Alpha Company's technical staff. Can obtain IP addresses and cross reference information again via the world wide web, public Police reports, public court records, etc.

So wait, are you saying you are Doxing people? or is this just a massive meme, i'm so confused on how you are getting people's IP addresses, unless they are giving them to you.

Edited by Shroud

28 minutes ago, J1988Dizzle said:

-snip-

image.png.cbf9ec890f15a4725c40ad1a3ab97353.png

You're fr doxxing people? At least tell me it's consensual? We're playing games, you don't need to dig into their police records and learn everything about them, that's just super creepy. It's just straight up an invasion of privacy and for what? Also whoever your "technical staff" guys are, they can probably get into a lot of trouble doing that. There's really no excuse for this, even if it's how your group ran in other communities that deffo won't fly here.

78KD.gif

Ya'll got me fucked up

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2019 at 1:28 AM, J1988Dizzle said:

The information we provide individuals back for review, can easily be obtained via the world wide web. Cross referencing online gaming accounts with online gaming servers, gaming websites, etc. As for the more detailed information, I unfortunately cannot personally complete the process. But anyone who has gone to school focusing primarily on these skills, AKA a majority of Alpha Company's technical staff. Can obtain IP addresses and cross reference information again via the world wide web, public Police reports, public court records, etc.

Hello @Roland now I don’t mean to come here to start trouble, however it does not seem that usernames are the only thing that are being used in these “Background Checks”, as the OP of the thread himself even said that his technical staff have the ability to and have in fact grabbed people’s IP addresses, as to how this is done I’m not sure. Now if you still think that this is alright than I suppose no harm done, but I just wanted to bring this to your attention as it did seem to concern some of the folks here.

Edited by Shroud

My stance on the recent thing here, in a spoiler to keep this shorter and thread "clean" even though it relates to the group. For a more general debate on the stuff we could or should open a separate discussion topic.

Spoiler

(This is mostly to offer a better understanding on the underlying topic or mindset itself over pitchforks and confusion. Anyway, TL;DR first!)

TL;DR: "Vetting" is kind of normal and widespread in many areas, even in some gaming groups. Got little to do with "Hacking" (meme or not) or so if you solely rely on publicly obtainable information. As to what level it should go in terms for group membership in their group or in the context of the DayZRP community can be up for debate of course, but in the end it's up to them as long as it doesn't break laws - or rules. Albeit more rare, in some groups you want to get in, you have to provide a real CV or other information, of course on voluntary basis in order to join. As long as that is made clear in the app process, the choice is on the applicant.

==================================================

Anyway, here goes!

I'd prolly get minus-beans for this from some if it as possible, seeing as many upvoted the recent posts, but I think I need to stand up for this group for the recent ruckus in this particular case. Even though I am not affiliated with them at all and could care less. As I said before in Discord already, I'm a bit surprised by the mentality or mental image some posters seem to have. But maybe that is only because I have a different view or understanding on this topic, where others may have a wildly different image or view. It's prolly that.

Long story short, unless the referenced background check by the "techs" was actually intrusive somehow and illegal by a relevant law, there is no need to be concerned. Well, other than the fact that you always leave traces on the internet, but that's nothing new and is on you individually most of the time, rather than anyone else. You can't blame someone for holding a mirror in your face as long as that is based on publicly available information. As to what level this should go to in terms of gaming group recruitment can of course be up for debate. But many other institutions or companies, also in an application process, gather such or comparable information and no one bats an eyelash.

"OSINT" (Open Source Intelligence) is not illegal; anyone can do it. Even your grandmother, if the required minimum IT skills to operate a computer and common search engine and forum software are given. And if something potentially "shady" or questionable pops up on the internet that can be linked to you and may leave you in a bad light or result in harm for your organization - or whether this is something like account theft so you are not to blame, etc - wouldn't you want to inquire with an applicant to avoid potential troubles in the future? I don't think the strict definitions of doxxing I looked up seem to apply here in terms of malicious intent and publicizing obtained info, even if the process of info gathering itself was legal but the confrontation wasn't fully: They don't do it to harm someone but to protect their group and I haven't seen them post all these details in the world wide web; they keep it between them and the applicant as a picture and statements indicate.

That's vetting in essence, folks

"Vetting" is a common practice in some groups or gaming genres, let alone reality. It is especially more normal to people who directly or remotely work in a comparable professional background than perhaps to those who don't, and regardless of professional background or job, it is very normal or at least more common in games with more competitive and lasting elements such as EvE Online or so, where the infiltration of groups to gain advantages or to hurt the enemy is a real thing. Last but not least it's not just about spies in some cases but simply getting fitting people that you want for your group. As someone who once lead a group in sandbox games I can tell you, I'd rather invest a bit of more effort for an applicant to avoid troubles, than not do it and have a bad awakening down the line that could result in a lot of damage. Perhaps not for DayZRP, but in other games. They're a multi-gaming group though, thus this might be a universal standard for them and generally fitting elsewhere beyond DayZ.

You could even think this process guarantees a better, even if indirect, enforcement of Rule 2:

2 Fair Play

We have zero tolerance policy for any kind of use of cheats or exploits. We demand our players to play the game with spirit of fair play in mind. The game should be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with other players.

2.1 Cheating on any servers in DayZ results in an instant and permanent ban. Cheating in other competitive multiplayer games marks you as a "known cheater" and will result in your account being blacklisted for 1 year.

You could ask how you want to know or obtain the info to enforce this rule without looking someone up, if one wanted to enforce it anyway. Would DayZRP admins doing this via OSINT suddenly "dox" or "hack" and whatnot a person upon confronting them?

Anyway, closing note!

In the end I think deeper vetting is not something you really require for DayZRP or DayZ as a whole as the gameplay doesn't give certain incentives; nevertheless, as someone who sees what is going on in other games it doesn't surprise me on the other hand that a multi-gaming community may opt for this, especially one that has a larger focus on people of specific professions, active and former. Different mindset in people, that is what it comes down to. Ideally however the group is transparent about this in their recruitment process or "marketing material". Thinking about it, suddenly confronting someone with this may seem a bit intimidating - at least if they do not have rough understanding of some things and think they just got hacked or something. But perhaps this can serve as a wake-up call to some who are rather care-free with their information online. You don't have to be paranoid, but not care-free either.

I do not support any intrusive and illegal measures - but slapping Steamaccount ID you provide, your username or other available identifiers into a search engine and doing a bit of cross referencing manually or with a clear-web crawler isn't really super shady in my eyes. It's just uncommon for most people as they wouldn't do it or think about it.

gFiG32H.jpg

No, not a jab at anyone, just meant as humorous end. Cheer up or something. Or don't.

But, eh, is just an example that the internet doesn't forget, so generally be mindful, folks!

----------------------------

That aside, something else. Since in-game interactions were very limited so far I sadly can't really give feedback in either direction and keep it general or to other aspects.

What games do you play in general with your group?

In addition, could you, for your DayZRP players, ever imagine doing anything else concept wise, like playing Chernarussians (soldiers or not)? Would accents be a potential issue for members? I also ask because we recently had a high demand for Chernarussian soldiers in events (mains or alternative chars) but there was a big lack of interest or availability. The accent people would have to put on seems like a big deterrent there is for many, let alone Chernarussian soldiers where it's not just culture or speech, but also certain military mindsets or regulations that we'd find in such a military force. You are in essence portraying a military force with real life backing, thus might be a good fit.

Wondering what your stance on that is. Doesn't mean you'd have to forfeit your main group or char concepts, could also just be "on-demand" for events with alt chars. Would at least be very helpful in some cases I reckon.

thank for the above @Combine and yes we do the vetting as a whole due to the fact we run a multi gaming group with games such as arma, squad, battlefield, pubg, csgo and a few others. unfortunately playing as a different nationality would be rather difficult in our group due to the diversity withing our group the accents would be rather difficult but if we are ever asked to do an event as chernarussians we would be more than happy to at least try and make the experience as fun and enjoyable as possible even if the accents are shoddy

Welcome back lads. Roland has spoken so I shall not continue the background check discussion.

Welcome back

So that was one hell of a rollercoaster of emotions. Good to see y'all back IG. 

Posted (edited)

Glad to have you back. Once again I'm going to Apologize about what has happen. Get out there, and make a differences.

Edited by Bazilith

Posted (edited)

You are on the roster Private, must allow time for our page to be reactivated. 

Edited by J1988Dizzle

To all that are to enlist in the future this is a disclaimer, we run background checks on your gamer tags/steam id's and any other information you divulge to us this is only done to those that fill in the alpha company enlistment form so if you do not wish to have checks done we advise you don't enlist if you happy for us to do the checks then be advised that any information you give to us after the enlistment will be used to cross reference and data we find (disclaimer: all information used is of a public nature no personal information is looked into and no information we find will be divulged to anyone other than alpha company officers.)

I was more or less confused when this group archived. Good to see it back lol

Some small feedback for you guys as I hope our future encounters will not end in the same way, when outgunned and outmanned I do not wish to see people from one group or the other portray no care for there well being, I know your RP isn't bad as I spoke with your members way back when you guys were just forming but this case has left me guessing if this is the way your men will conduct themselves in the future.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your feedback @Eagle, I will address my men regarding the issue.

I would not expect much from military personnel though, should you plan on interrogating them. My men are pretty tight lipped, to ensure that vital information is not leaked and survivors we have sworn to protect are not harmed. Should standard conversations take place, our RP is great. As verified in the passed by other individuals.

It is no secrete that the Green Dragons despise Alpha Company. My man being surrounded by obvious hostile forces, who have killed many of his brothers in arms, and alone. He new death was coming to him regardless. Hints his standard response. But yes another sentence or two could have been said, making RP slightly better, before you and your men inevitably killing him.

Edited by J1988Dizzle