Server time (UTC): 2019-10-22, 04:50
Sign in to follow this  
Jewell

Appeal KOS - 7 Days

Posted (edited)

Link to the source of punishment (report/post): 

Why the verdict is not fair: In my view and several others I do not believe the verdict to have been discussed well enough to come to a decision. The verdict seems to have been created by one staff member (although I dont know if anyone had signed it as not stated) and it seemed to be rushed/poorly written. Verdicts are also aimed to provide some level on learning on what I did wrong and what I could have done better. The punishment is also unclear. As it states "I do not see any griefing here or BadRP, I do however think this is pretty clear BadRP and for that @Jewell, you will be punished." I was not punished for Badrp which takes me back to my first point that it was rushed. I would be interested to know how many staff members had a chance to weigh in in thread notes before this report was verdicted as I dont believe it is as clear cut as people seem to think. Also if it was a rule break and the imitation was valid wouldnit not come under invalid kill - roleplayed?

Additional statements/comments explaining your point of view: I still stand by my fact this it is not KOS as I had KOS rights through an initiation. I had been asked several times to drop my gun and the last was given in a aggressive and demanding tone with a time scale now. "Drop your gun NOW" The OP even states he makes a demand to myself in his report.  

At no point in the hostilities section of the rules does it mention a consequence must be given. Although the verdict contradicts this and claims a consequence must be given.

The section in question in rule 4.1 “All initiations and hostile actions as well as their demands and conditions must be made clear and unambiguous to all involved players.” - A clear demand was made and conditions were stated E.g. a time scale.

What would you like to achieve with this appeal: Removal/reduction in my ban owing to the fact that I can understand the position of the OP but at the end of the day I was acting in regard to rule 4.1

I would also like clarification on the rule if the punishment is to remain then I think an amendment to the rule would be the correct course of action.   

What could you have done better?: Clearly not have shot him and tried to either run away or work on my skills as a negotiator and talk my way out of it. (although I had tried and I did believe it was a valid initiation and I was a dead man) 

EDIT - It has just been pointed out to me if this was even a rule break it would be a Invaild kill role played - 3 day ban. But like I said if it was even a rule break 

I would also like to note after 5 1/2 years and over 3000 hours this is my first offence. Leniency? 😀

Matt,

Edited by Jewell

Hello @Jewell

The verdict indeed incorrectly classified your kill as an Invalid Kill - on sight. As seen in the video there clearly was roleplay between the two of you leading up to the kill. Invalid Kill - on sight is reserved for people who kill someone without any previous roleplay interaction and you shouldn't have received a 7 day ban. What comes to the kill itself, while the RP was fine in my opinion, the kill wasn't. For you to have gained DEFENSE RIGHTS on the OP of the report, what he did would have to be something that is considered a hostile action.  As the rules say:

image.png

While you could argue that "you were forced to do something under the threat of violence" and the violence was implied in the OPs voice, we can't allow people to be shot just for demanding something in an aggressive tone of voice. If that was allowed people could get killed for simply demanding someone to leave a place and the "tone" that would constitute as implied violence would be an impossible task for the staff team to judge fairly.

Outcome: 

/appeal accepted 7 day ban revoked, 3 day ban issued for Invalid Kill - roleplayed