Server time (UTC): 2019-10-19, 13:29
Sign in to follow this  
Roman

Combat Logging Rule

Should we remove the forced 30 min timer for the victims?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

So...

I've recently learned that if someone initiates on you and take you hostage, you as the victim are forced to stay on the server for 30 minutes after line of sight has been broken. How is this in any way reasonable? Why should the victim be punished for others hostile actions? It's always been the victims choice if they wanted to use their rights to get revenge or not do anything. When I was admin we implemented the 30 minute rule so there wouldn't be as many senseless robberies where people logged out shortly after. So I have no idea why the rule to force the victim to stay on ever happened. 

I contacted staff and got this as a response:

9e87809abbac35d773282ae1dac42477.png

"you are still possibly subject to more roleplay", if someone initiates on you and take your hostage and then release you that situation is more often then not over with from the aggressors part. What possible roleplay are we talking about here? Them coming back and doing the same thing again? This whole reasoning seems so vague and I don't see a reason why someone that get's robbed should be forced to stay 30 minutes of their time for someone else's actions.

Opinions?

Edited by Roman

I would be pretty annoyed if I let someone go and wanted them for something literally five minutes later, just to find out theyre long gone off the server.

thats my take. I dont see the problem tbh

14 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

I would be pretty annoyed if I let someone go and wanted them for something literally five minutes later, just to find out theyre long gone off the server.

Just curious since I can't really think of a reason myself, what would you want from them after it's done? Not saying there's no reasons, I would just like to understand a bit better.

Posted (edited)

That makes no sense,  you have the rights to kill but if you're not planning to interact with them after getting let go why would it matter if you logged? No one has rights on you. Your not logging out of RP because your RP just ended.

Edited by Eagle

Posted (edited)

I personally find it pretty discouraging that, if I were to be initiated close to logging off for the session (as I have been so many times), I would be forced not only to provide RP to the aggressors past my intended logging off time, but also be forced to stay for a further 30 minutes logged in, all because of factors beyond my control, just to be a puppet for the fun of someone that more often than not doesn't care about my own fun beyond the point the rules require them to care for.

At that point, it's stops being fun anymore... If you're not playing a vindictive character, and if the aggressor party does the usual (which is staying waaay clear of you for 30 minutes until they can log off safely themselves), the situation reaches a point where your continuos required presence is just bureaucracy, an unnecessary tick on a metaphysical box that benefits nobody, only on the off chance more RP may come from this.

More often than not, the only RP that comes from this is from the initiative of the person that is forced to stay, and following the same philosophy you might as well force people to stay for any reason because of any RP that may come from staying longer, or punish them if they don't.

That would be a shitty way to conduct server business. The same way requiring the victims to stay is, currently.

Edited by MatthewFC

31 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

Agreed.

If something was missed during the hostile and the victim decided to brick it and leave, that's just really annoying for the hostileRPers

yeah dumb rule

log out if you were a hostage

I think it is stupid to be honest.

When someone lets you go as a hostage and nobody has KOS-rights on you, why do you have to stay on the server? Doesn't make any sense.

If you turn and attempt to shoot at them after being released then sure, you should wait your 30.

Otherwise, you should be able to just log if you want to.

Gonna have to agree with Roman. If I've just been let go, the chances are, my former captors and myself are going to avoid each other, if possible. I'm not against there being a small cooldown period of say 5-10 minutes to avoid somebody just alt f4ing and making a salt report if they aren't happy with the situation, but I think 30 minutes is far too much.

The way the rule is now  seems a bit broken if a complying hostgage has to wait their 30 mins.

It only makes sense for a person/group who have commited a hostile act as the rule is there to allow retaliation and to exercise their "Defence Rights", or for a non-complying person/group as they have given the other group "Attackers Rights".

As I understand it, the purpose of the combat log rule has always been to ensure that someone who had the rights to kill under the rules, had a guaranteed portion of the allowable time in which they could find their target still online.

A fully complying hostage gives no rights which would allow another person to kill them (not going to touch consenting hostgaes or "executions" here), so why should they then have to remain online?  It should just be break LOS and log if you were a complying hostage (assuming you have not at any stage given the hostile party "Attackers Rights" or "Defenders Rights")

Another broken thing about that rule is... what is when I have to log in like an hour ... someone takes me hostage for like 40-50 minutes. And then I can't log even though nobody has rights on me. Seems weird. 

Please change it back to where only initiators have to wait the 30. victims having to wait 30 makes no freaking sense

3 hours ago, Mexi said:

If you turn and attempt to shoot at them after being released then sure, you should wait your 30.

Otherwise, you should be able to just log if you want to.

Big fat plus 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

Just curious since I can't really think of a reason myself, what would you want from them after it's done? Not saying there's no reasons, I would just like to understand a bit better.

maybe they let the wrong guy go, maybe they learned new information and need to ask you about something. idk, not common things but you never know.

I totally agree with this post in the sense that when being initiated on you should not have to wait the 30 minutes after.

Its just a waste of the players time and in most situations does not make sense or add too roleplay.

+1

i'd agree for a 5-10 minute cooldown period but 30 mins is too much. however, this is only on the victim sides, the hostile parties should still have to wait the 30 min refractory period.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Melvin said:

i'd agree for a 5-10 minute cooldown period but 30 mins is too much. however, this is only on the victim sides, the hostile parties should still have to wait the 30 min refractory period.

Why those 5- 10 minutes? Why is there a need for it in general when there are no kos-rights.

I don't think we need more timers, especially when it doesn't even make sense for hostages.

Edited by Lyca

Just now, Lyca said:

Why those 5- 10 minutes? Why is there a need for it in general when there are no kos-rights.

lets say i let you go but i forgot to ask you for perhaps where you keep your donuts

you are walking away for a minute now and my boy wong calls me on the radio to call you back but you have already dipped in a bush and logged out. perhaps, you took one of my guns that i dropped while sorting loot and straight BOOKED it out

you get a free ticket out of there and you not only get to avoid rp, you get back some of your loot! so i think there should be a 5-10 minute after line of sight is broken for all of those extenuating circumstances

love u @Lyca

Posted (edited)

Well but that's your fault when you forgot questions 😄

❤️

I just don't think there should be even more timer, cause more timer, more confusing. When I am able to grab a gun, then you have to be more careful 😛 

When it is a really important question, you just give them again a good time 😄 

Edited by Lyca

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Monday said:

If something was missed during the hostile and the victim decided to brick it and leave, that's just really annoying for the hostileRPers

That would be your fault and your next task to find the person another time another day another session whatsoever. Just because you forgot something , I don't see how other people are forced to stay on for that. 

I am not sure what Staff was thinking on this one, tbh. Like okay you get taken hostage - forced to stay in a situation and deal with it rp -wise- and when it is over,  you as the person who did not start this situation upon someone else have to stay on? Why? Because hostage takers are not done? If something important was missed for a cool story like - show some effort and find your victim another day. The rp of someone who actually wanted to log out but gets taken once more within this time will surely lose quality - if the person is done playing and wants to close down the game.

"you are still possibly subject to more roleplay"   - this argument applies literally every time you log into the role play server. You can always be subject to more role play even if it was the most friendly encounter ever. What if the person missed something during the conversation? Oh no. Stay on another 5 hours to make sure people role played everything they wanted to with your character involved.

+1 Roman.

If you do the crime , stay online.

Edited by Ron

Yeah, get rid of it. No reason I should be punished any further. I probably just lost most my gear and enjoyed maybe sub-par hostile RP and we get another like extra "fuck you" having to stay on for 30min. idk. Makes no sense as everyone else says.

I agree. There is no reason for the timer to be 30 minutes long. If we can't get rid of it completely at least lower it to only 10-15 minutes. 30 minutes is too long and especially its hurtful to victims because they have no idea when they can be initated on. Maybe they have only an hour and just before logging out, they are attacked so yeah, thats my stance - remove it completely or lower it for victims to 10-15 minutes tops.

you should get a poll onto this thread @Roman

Honestly +1. Why is there a timer for a hostage when no1 has KOS rights on them? 

+1 pointless rule in my eyes, shouldn’t need permission if nobody has rights on you