Server time: 2019-03-20, 14:12 WE ARE RECRUITING
MrBowTie

Get rid of the laugh/cry caused by cannibalism.

Getting rid of laugh caused by cannibalism.  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Basically the title sums it all up. It serves no purpose in my opinion, besides being annoying during RP. You can't use the information in character to confront anyone due to their laughter/crying. I would rather see cannibals roleplay the symptoms by choice, rather than the audio outing them basically. This would make cannibalism a little more realistic or maybe even difficult to roleplay? Though overall I dont see the point of having the audio play for cannibals when if any one uses it as in character information it's metagaming; so getting rid of it just seems like the best solution to me.

It's hard to talk to someone/take them seriously when every 3-5 seconds you hear demonic laughter.

+1

Just don't eat human meat as you run the risk of contracting this, you can confront people on it but not with ''ow you're a cannibal bob'' type of thing.

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

Just don't eat human meat as you run the risk of contracting this, you can confront people on it but not with ''ow you're a cannibal bob'' type of thing.

To me confronting someone on it hasnt offered much RP in the past. "I'm just a little emotional.." or some lack luster response.

Ive been confronted several times about the cannibal laughing, but I explain it off as just being from severe brain trauma. 
I personally like the laughter and dont see a very big issue with it.  It would be nice if the laughs had a bit more time between them though.

Just don't take it IC or ask about it and wait for an explanation. But reality wise, that laughing or crying makes absolutely no sense. 

Just do it like we always did it. Ignore it or ask about it, but don't metagame it. 😄 

Literally irl there are physical side effects, while they aren't laughing and stuff, they're noticeable enough. What i'm saying is that there IS side effects to cannibalism irl, so there should also be side effects in character too.

Being a cannibal should have repercussions, as nobody in their right mind would willingly eat another person. Your RP should reflect that. 

Keep it. It's something that's been part of DayZ for a long while and it's kinda cool - outward showing of the dreaded Kuru! If ye eat people, deal with it. lol

Realistically, kuru is only acquired through eating the brain of a human who has the Prion. I like the fact that you can get kuru by eating human meat, but I think maybe the chances of getting it should be drastically lowered. You can safely eat human meat and not get kuru, but maybe modify the mechanic a bit?

I like the laughter.

If I say a really bad joke IC and no one laughs, the game does it for me. That way I feel like I'm funny.

I can be annoying sometimes, but it genuinely makes things interesting when you come accross someone with the laughter, Trent usually says "What in tarnation!?!? Y'all alright?" ....

No. Its kuru. Dont eat human meat. *shrug*

I mean tbh I liked it back in the day where you would actually twitch n shit ig. That stuff made cannibal rp way more tense in firefights ccuz you had no idea what you were doing. Bring back the shakies, it made my days when I was a real edge man.

Honestly I don't think it's realistic so I'm okay with removing it because I'd rather not have the meta.

Honestly, I like it.
Not because of the fact that it gives away you're a cannibal which should be slightly obvious due to actual physiological trauma caused by it, but because it is an in-game representation of someone dipping into insanity and constantly actioning things is difficult. Although I do admit the amount you laugh is stupid and the shaking should be added back as well.

I see no reason to remove it. 

I would rather the old laugh over the new one just because the new one is so often. Also I wish there was a way to bring back the shaking. 

The laughter is a shit mechanic that promotes people acting like complete edge lords when playing a cannibal character and we already had enough of those. I just don't understand what it brings to the table. If people want to RP that they have kuru or whatever they can just laugh themselves when the situation feels right. Not all cannibals have to be so painfully obvious. It just creates awkward and dumb situations. So yeah, it should be removed.

Remove the laugh. I hate it, I've always hated it and I'll be glad to see it permanently out of the game. Instead, I'd prefer subtler mechanics like shaking, loss of health after not consuming human meat for a prolonged period of time, something other than the painfully cringe laugh that serves no purpose except to make shit awkward.

As with all Roleplay, people should choose how to display certain attributes their character may have accumulated rather it be forced upon them through the in-game means. Also, Kuru is a rare disease. Not exactly something that is caught 100% of the time after eating a dude.

Sure. Remove it.

It's unrealistic and immersion breaking. Remove it.

Kuru is something that is developed over decades. Not a couple crappy years into a zombie apocalypse. Medically it makes no sense . I purposely ignore it/pretend it didn't even trigger. It's one of the most Meta'd, obnoxious sounding, immersion breaking things in this game, further ruined by RP'ers going "WTF is that!? CANNIBALS!"... you know what it is, you've always known what it is, please for the love of god don't bring attention to it.