Server time: 2019-03-26, 17:17 WE ARE RECRUITING
yuthee

Restraint + Crash = Dead

Was taken hostage along with @ScarletRose and @Roman by some individuals. They tied us up and Roman and ScarletRose crashed at the same time resulting in both of their deaths. So please please please if you have a hostage who asks nicely to get out of rope OOC, do so. Tie them up with emotes. The situation could have been more fun for 2/3 of us if only DayZ wasn't buggy as fuck. Thanks.

That's thoroughly upsetting.

Just don't tie people up in the future, tbh. Pat them down thoroughly through emotes and go about your business.

you can always *ties person up* and OOC-ly agree to it... if they do not, then tie them up for real 😉

Edited by Shanoby

Are handcuffs multi-use if you use keys and if so, do keys degrade after several uses?

I suggest using "disposable" or "re-usable" ways of restraint if you "have to". Ropes, cuffs (with keys), etc. Tie them, check them out (with emotes, too, of course) and then UNTIE them again, aka keep the time they are tied to a necessary minimum!

after different cases of

*frisks for weapons/radio*

followed not long by

*the hostage pulls out a fucking pistol and shoots one of us*

imma have to say

-time 'em up, check their shit, then untie and jsut roleplay as still being tied up

6 minutes ago, CaliforniaRP said:

after different cases of

*frisks for weapons/radio*

followed not long by

*the hostage pulls out a fucking pistol and shoots one of us*

imma have to say

-time 'em up, check their shit, then untie and jsut roleplay as still being tied up

A.M.E.N.

E: It also helps prevents mistakes (unintended ones). For example I was taken hostage once and the usual mumbo jumbo happened: frisked, weapons removed, checked for radios. Here's the funny thing. I dropped my hand held radio and whatnot, complied or played fair.

But later on I was tied for real (with in-game objects) and checked. Guy referred to something I forgot to actually mind: The huge fucking radio receiver (backpack radio) I had in my backpack. I didn't even think of it! I put it in there at one point and completely forgot about it even though it's a huge fucking object. Skipped in the initial haste of being taken hostage and being frisked, I guess in hindsight.

I quickly said in OOC that I forgot about it etc (they'd OBVIOUSLY had to find it realistically during first frisk), but the initial IC reaction was of course assuming I had it IC or that it perhaps was on since we were also being followed by allies. I could've been shot if it really went worse, but wasn't.

Long story short, checking people "for real" can help prevent metagaming, badRP or simply honest mistakes where you forget an item, even though you do not use it IC. Just don't keep them tied the whole time if it's not necessary. Would be cool if there was a mod way of overriding the forced mechanic of dying upon basically leaving the server in any way if tied. Imagine being tied and being able to freely log in and out.

Edited by Combine

1 hour ago, Mexi said:

Just don't tie people up in the future, tbh. Pat them down thoroughly through emotes and go about your business.

This. Smoother; hostages can move more freely. Easy enough to carry out just gotta be efficient at taking their radio and that's about it. 

Personally, if I were to take someone hostage, I would actually restrain them, search them for anything that could be used to harm me, then untie them, but state in OOC they are still tied. If they combat-log during the 30 seconds it takes me to search them, then that's just shit luck. Haha.

I think if possible, the developers need to remove the combatlog feature that kills players instantly, who are restrained.

I was a victim of game-crash when handcuffed and I died. A couple or so months ago. It sucked.

First time huh?

This used to happen in .62 and we just emoted tying people up

but if we can remove this it would be nice

Only times I really tie people up is when they refuse to answer OOC questions about there weapons and if we need to keep em secured. 

I am nearly 100% positive it has been stated by staff/in reports that if someone poses frisking you and you lie (later pulling a weapon for example) its a bannable offense. (EDIT: Yeah, its rule 4.9)

Lord knows I would leap at the opportunity to only be bound by OOC then by IG mechanics that are a crap-shoot at murdering me. Some of the best hostile RP I ever had was cut short by a crash resulting in my death because I was bound.

Edited by Rover
Found citation

2 hours ago, Rover said:

I am nearly 100% positive it has been stated by staff/in reports that if someone poses frisking you and you lie (later pulling a weapon for example) its a bannable offense. (EDIT: Yeah, its rule 4.9)

I believe most people are aware of this. But I still play it safe, with many of the rules. In order to protect myself from being victimized. Same reason, why I carry a side-arm on me when I go hiking in the woods, IRL. Never know when a bear or pack of coyotes will decide to fuck-about with you.

And, well of course, serial killers or some shit.

I just wanted people to be aware that this is happening. Since DayZ devs keep fucking it up with each new update. It's always up in the air if these bugs pop their way back in after being fixed. Cause it was fixed like 2 patches ago. And now its back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If there's a way to remove the death upon an exit or crash while tied up I would say attempt to remove that but I doubt we can go that far into modding. I assumed at one point killing the character upon exiting while restrained was a feature to get rid of people combat logging.

Edited by Zero