Server time (UTC): 2019-11-20, 05:30
Sign in to follow this  
Glitch

Character Story Arc

Character Story Arc  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dull RP is not a new topic. It pops up every now and then on the forums. The most recent is a lorewipe. This thread is not about the idea of a lorewipe. This thread is about an idea that would hopefully improve RP without needing a lore wipe (because I don't think a wipe is necessary unless we saw a new map.)

From my own experience many players and groups lack story arc. The lore is in depth, expanded upon and provides a great setting and backstory, as it should. The next step to creating story is putting players in game. Most players run around, roleplay out interactions and go about their day. There is not a lot of story. Sure events can help sometimes but eventually it SEEMS like it falls back to the basic daily RP. Some groups APPEAR to simply be mass amounts of people. Some groups try to carry out a bit of a plot or story arc. But at the end of the day I also FEEL like RP can get dull and there is a lack of story.

So my thought for improving RP is this. Add a new required field on the character page. This field would be titled Character Story Arc. It would only have to be in depth as you want it to be. Maybe a paragraph minimum. It would hopefully have a similar effect to group goals on group pages. It would not only show other people what you hope/plan for your character to do or become but also challenge the players to follow through with their character story arc. Maybe someone says my character will begin as a shy and timid person and slowly become extremely aggressive and crazy. 

One issue with this idea though is that it cannot be known what will happen in game. We can't know the future. Someone may say their character will shift from good to evil but in game events may shift that idea. UNLESS you follow your plan to a T and react to good situations in a more evil way each time as you progress to that new character type. For example, you begin as a good person. You help someone out who needs it. The next time you meet someone who needs help you reluctantly help EVEN if OOC you really want to. The next time you DO NOT HELP even though there is no reason you can't. 

So when approached by this idea that we cannot know what is going to happen, we could choose to follow our story arc and respond as we have designed for ourselves. OR we can choose to let the interactions in game control our character changes. 

Please let me know your thoughts. This is only one idea of many that are out there. I am presenting this idea because I don't want to see a lore wipe. I want to see a proper solution to improve the quality of RP. If you have any other ideas please present them below. Thank you.

Edited by Glitch

I think it's a neat idea. Would help me keep track of my characters progression as well. You should add a poll though, to better gauge people's opinions.

Generally you don’t plan a whole lot of character progression since it’s, ya know, roleplay. I wouldn’t mind having this as a feature on character pages to put in AFTER the fact. As I tend to update character pages as I go.

It's a decent idea but in my opinion it's not needed. As stated above, you never know what will happen IC or how important interactions might change your characters attitude. People can just update their pages as their character progress their storyline. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

It's a decent idea but in my opinion it's not needed. As stated above, you never know what will happen IC or how important interactions might change your characters attitude. People can just update their pages as their character progress their storyline. 

I agree which is why I mentioned that will be an issue. We as players cannot know what will happen to our character while we play. I would agree, if implemented it would be best optional to encourage updates on character development. Which in itself may motivate some players to really create detailed "character story arc timelines" thus hopefully providing more interesting RP for some.

Setting goals for your character isn't a bad idea. Maybe having some faults that you want to work on, for example, having no experience with guns and setting a goal to learn how to shoot one would be fine. It's the planning how your character is going to change that would bug me. It makes the character feel too "pre-planned" and that the person has their mind set on where they want the character to go so they are going to force the RP to go that way. 

Edited by Clumsy

I like the idea but it's also the reason why I stream. 
Last thing I did to show development was this:

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/90427-timeline-of-an-amnesiac-meika-blue/

Which took ALOT of dedication and me to remember on specific days what happened. I'm pretty proud of it though. It showed my characters progress, what was important and what affected her.

But goals is a good idea, even though my mind draws blank when I have to write them for myself.

You’re asking people to be way more invested in the community than many want to be

7 minutes ago, Squillium said:

You’re asking people to be way more invested in the community than many want to be

That and isn't it already possible to just add this into the background of a character page anyway? As background is literally just anything leading up to your characters present day. It's already an optional field for those who want that detail

17 minutes ago, Squillium said:

Well those who'd like to be. I am not asking everyone. After insight from others I agree if at all it should be an optional thing. 

It's a nice optional idea. I'd certainly use it.

Yeah, to see how far you've been since you started, I'd hella use it. Point A to point (?), and all those curves in the road. Wild idea but a pretty decent one at it.

I used to add to my character page as and when stuff happened to him in game. I don't think it's a good idea to force that on people and make them do it, but making it an optional thing is something i'm all for!