Server time (UTC): 2019-11-13, 16:09
Sign in to follow this  
YNW Jasper

Lore Wipe SoonTM

Lorewipe - Yay or Nay  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No lore wipe is my current vote. I'd rather see (refreshing) lore additions with new maps and whatnot. Or MAYBE a 'reset' with new maps and tools to perhaps also better simulate a starting and expanding (and fresh) outbreak.

I get it may be lucrative for many, but at the same time we'd blow the beautiful lore we established so far into the wind, and by that I mean not just or primarily what happened in-game, but also the written lore that got me active in the community in the first place, or what keeps me playing.

Edited by Combine

Guess everyone wants to continue the boring RP that is going on right now. 

Most of you are so negative, Jesus christ think about positives other then focusing on the negatives.

If we do a lorewipe the staff team should do event after event in the beginning. Maybe we start like nothing is going on and suddenly the event happens:

*You can see jets fly over*

*You hear sirens*

Then infected are getting spawned in, most people dont have weapons and start running, hiding, asking others for help.

It can get so fucking interesting if we all RP that way. I read some comments and all of those people say "its gonna be stale in 2 weeks". Then you make a difference. If all those people who are negative change their RP when the lorewipe happens things are gonna get interesting! 

Staff can make rules for the lorewipe that will prevent people from doing the Same thing over and over.

Things ingame are boring as hell right now, a never ending war with a "cease fire", people sitting at GM all day talking about the weather and noone cares about the infected, psycopaths and other hostile characters because they have seen them so many times. (Still unrealistic but most people these days have no fears for some reason)

A big +1 from me if staff prepares it well!

And if you are only gonna respond to this reply without any good points I will not argue with you.

Edited by Jackfish

42 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

Then infected are getting spawned in, most people dont have weapons and start running, hiding, asking others for help.

It can get so fucking interesting if we all RP that way. I read some comments and all of those people say "its gonna be stale in 2 weeks". Then you make a difference. If all those people who are negative change their RP when the lorewipe happens things are gonna get interesting! 

Im super down for a lore wipe, but why not spice it up with more events like these in the current lore set? Such as a massive all out country threatening zombie attack during a player wide conference like the meeting we had recently. 

59 minutes ago, Jackfish said:

[...]

Easier said than done! There appears to be a consensus on the idea that a lore wipe, even with a new lore, isn't enough to keep the same post-wipe patterns from happening. Most people also agreed that staff-driven events would make the lore much more interesting and keep it moving instead of letting it reach a standstill. 

The problem lies however in the fact that the event team is grossly understaffed. Get @Major a few motivated Eventmasters that are ready and willing and stress-resistant and I'm game. Until then ...

Edited by Pontiff

I really see no point in lore wipe... but hey... if it does happen then time to get back on UN !!!

Make it better than ever ?

I think if the lore wipe does happen, Rolle or the lore masters need to take control re: "official" groups, by this I mean UN, CDF, Red Star etc.

I think a system that could work is if the groups are "created" (written up, official page made) by lore masters, and if people want characters that belong to these factions then they can play them. But, the goals etc. of the official factions are set in stone according to the lore. And if people want to make splinter factions, e.g. some chaotic good soldiers in the UN band up to kill evil people in order to remove them from Chernarus and collect their rations to deliver out to other people then that needs to be a separate thing.

Realistically these factions would permeate all of Chernarus for years and years after the outbreak, and people should have the ability to create a character belonging to one of these factions at any time, without having to deal with how the factions' public image was changed due to a few individuals ruining the group.

Essentially, I think that the outcome of these groups should be in the hands of someone more sensible than the players. There would be thousands of UN soldiers in Chernarus but for everyone to think of the UN as something uncharacteristic of their organisation because of the actions of 10 players' actions is bad.

disclaimer: I know nothing of anyone who has played a UN character in this current lore, I'm just using them as a made up example.

The big issue I just see with a lore wipe and starting again early on (unless there is some time skip) is:

Making it believable

What do I mean by that? Call me spoiled, but I'd argue that we simply lack the right tools to make a "restart" feasible. If you look behind all the RP and fluff, we're in essence playing on the very map that has been around since release or mod days, not counting it's countless area additions and tweaks. It still looks like the apocalypse happened years ago to some extend (state of vehicles). And  a bunch of zombies spread over loot locations. The time around and shortly after the outbreak is chaotic. Especially if you look at the written lore. So much is going on, so much we cannot really compensate with the limited player count we have. We could at best simulate aspects of it in an area.

Let me be less abstract in what I mean: I'm talking about more mods and event tools, perhaps a better engine to simulate more zombies (and players) in an area at once. If we start again, it should feel at least somewhat believable thanks to mods, NPCs, event tools, etc. And maybe actual vehicles like choppers, jets, cars (don't have to be battle tanks).

I do not know if we ever get to see it at that level like in some of the A2/A3 mods or so in regards to DayZ SA. But if we do, we should wait with a lore restart until better tools are available. If we just do it "now" it'll be a repetition of some occurrences and character concepts and in due time it would just be the same in essence.

========================================

Long story short, so far until better tools and effects and a lot more (like vehicles) can be added and utilized for immersive and content purposes, I'd rather see lore additions with new maps and writing it forth than a reset. With Namalsk and more on the horizon we can explore new places with the current lore and build on it.

I'd be more open to a "new lore" if we had proper tools to realize different stages of the outbreak, because I feel then it would be worth the reset. I'm not asking for a Michael Bay experience with lots of explosions and thousands of NPCs, but it should be more than we can currently realize with a bunch of players in one spot and text messages through BattleEye announcements.

Edited by Combine

2 hours ago, Jackfish said:

Most of you are so negative, Jesus christ think about positives other then focusing on the negatives.

If we do a lorewipe the staff team should do event after event in the beginning. Maybe we start like nothing is going on and suddenly the event happens:

*You hear sirens*

Staff can make rules for the lorewipe that will prevent people from doing the Same thing over and over.

Things ingame are boring as hell right now, a never ending war with a "cease fire", people sitting at GM all day talking about the weather and noone cares about the infected, psycopaths and other hostile characters because they have seen them so many times. (Still unrealistic but most people these days have no fears for some reason)

And if you are only gonna respond to this reply without any good points I will not argue with you.

Maybe on paper it looks amazing. Yes, a fresh start, amazing new ideas (usually based on trending games or shows...), new changes. But you say that 'WE' make a difference. I'm glad you sincerely believe, that after lorewipe all the boredom from current lore will dissapear, because apparently now "WE" are unable to make a difference but in new lore we'll make things work. New Lore = new me! 

It's not like the current lore is a giant wall around our RP. We have millions of possibilites what to do, yet everything is boring. Not sure if you've watched South Park (and not sure if I remember correctly that it was in that show), but in one of the episodes called "Simpsons Did It!", they were trying to come up with something original. Sadly every idea they had was shut down by "simpsons did it!", meaning that the idea/prank/story was already shown in Simpsons.  By now in DayZ we're at "Simpsons did it!" point. It's hard to create something new, something that wasn't there, something orignal. Groups on forum pages look amazing, interesting, "CANT WAIT TO SEE" on the paper, but usually they are the same group of people with similiar type of RP and nothing changes. The game does not offer us new tools, even the basebuilding is not worth the time (due to crash related wipes), so how will a lorewipe change anything? Maybe for first week or two somebody will be scared of infected, somebody will be a true civilian in need of help etc, but sadly after that it's gonna fall on the same tracks. Friends from old lore will stay together, form together groups, same conflicts will re-appear under different names between "new" factions. There are literally no IG mechanics/goal that could support new lore. No soft skills to grind, no trully persistent buildings (bugs), no impact on the map (terraforming, deforestation etc), anything to work for tbh. There are no losers, people are  stubborn to bend under influence of stronger groups, because only thing that can happen to them is death. And you don't lose to much when you die. I fell in love with Life is Feudal because you could build giant settlemets, capture areas with strategic resources and due to it trade. It wasn't a perfect game but at least base-building worked... but that's for another topic

Listen, I won't stop anybody from the lorewipe,  honestly I would love to play during the lore, when one could RP that he was born after outbreak (be it +20 or +120 years since outbreak), but it's gonna be similiar to the situation around 2015/2016:

1. Community: I wish we could remove zombies, they are really annoying, don't need them

2. Dayz Devs: Conviniently Zombies get bugged, devs leave only 2-3 zombies on whole map

3. Community: Without zombies there's no threat, no point in playing, servers get empty, sadface.

Long story short:

We are to blame for boring RP in current lore. In new lore there will still be "We" factor that will make things boring again. How will new lore change neverending wars/players mentality? The new lore need support of something COMPLETELY FRESH like new game mechancis, addons, etc.

I don't see anything changing from it. We should wait for new maps and other new things before we do it.

Lorewipe didn't change a thing last time. So a no from me. 

A new map will most likely never happen. Dayzrp has experimented with different maps and each time they never last. We get maybe a few months out of a new map before returning to Chernarus.

the only way i see anything new map wise besides switching the map entirely is player settlements and maybe being able to add Utes to the current Chernarus map, giving us a cool big island to explore

I'm never leading another Lore faction.

10 hours ago, Jackfish said:

*You hear sirens*

That will never happen the way you want it to. I'd love for something like that but it takes prolonged contribution from people. We have even get more Eventmasters to carry out what I have written now, plus tools are broken. 

These things don't take place without proper bodies in place, and not to be braggadicious but most people aren't as dedicated as I am as seeing this stuff through. Not trying to be negative I'm just trying to be realistic. 

Honestly I want as many people to vote on this as possible.

One because I really want a fucking lorewipe.

And two, we need people to vote to get the full community's opinion on the matter.

At the time of writing this: 150 votes have been submitted.

Results are:
62% for Yes (This includes now and later)

38% for No

Edited by Ducky

On 2/5/2019 at 1:07 PM, Jackfish said:

*You hear sirens*

Sorry.. no more beans.. but would have gave you some.

33 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Honestly I want as many people to vote on this as possible.

One because I really want a fucking lorewipe.

And two, we need people to vote to get the full community's opinion on the matter.

At the time of writing this: 150 votes have been submitted.

Results are:
62% for Yes (This includes now and later)

38% for No

i'd say that we're like a little over halfway there as far as the full ACTIVE community goes. We've probably got like 300 members that regularly or even semi regularly play Dayz standalone or at least have more than 100 hours since this lore wipe. I know it might come off as rude but if someone has less than 100 hours this lore I do not take their vote nor their opinion seriously. In two years they've not even clocked in 4 days of game time but they have an opinion on this matter...why? 

If you don't play you simply shouldn't vote. This vote doesn't effect you if you're inactive anyways. Sorry not sorry. 

I've been reading some comments. I'm new to this community, so I didn't vote (still waiting on the whitelist). But for my understanding a lorewhipe is a 'Matrix: Reloaded'?

The Architect: Which brings us, at last, to the moment of truth, wherein the fundamental flaw is ultimately expressed and the anomaly revealed as both beginning and end. There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the Source and the salvation of Zion. The door to your left leads back to the Matrix, to her, and to the end of your species.

So a lorewhipe means we start al over? New story, new beginning?

We’ve started over from day one two times already and it’s the same roleplay. The same groups come back and the same thing happens. Now a jump into the future would be different, but to wipe to day one again with the same story is just going to be a bad ground hogs day. 

1 minute ago, Goldy said:

I've been reading some comments. I'm new to this community, so I didn't vote (still waiting on the whitelist). But for my understanding a lorewhipe is a 'Matrix: Reloaded'?

The Architect: Which brings us, at last, to the moment of truth, wherein the fundamental flaw is ultimately expressed and the anomaly revealed as both beginning and end. There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the Source and the salvation of Zion. The door to your left leads back to the Matrix, to her, and to the end of your species.

So a lorewhipe means we start al over? New story, new beginning?

Essentially, a way to freshen things up and a way to start new and interesting stories.

Just now, Clumsy said:

We’ve started over from day one two times already and it’s the same roleplay. The same groups come back and the same thing happens. Now a jump into the future would be different, but to wipe to day one again with the same story is just going to be a bad ground hogs day. 

It's because people have difficulties letting go.

Perhaps an enforcement of no previous groups / characters would be in order.

People need to let go and accept the end of things.

Sticking to the same stories, characters and groups past a lorewipe is null and void, you haven't accepted that a lorewiped happened.

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Essentially, a way to freshen things up and a way to start new and interesting stories.

Sticking to the same stories, characters and groups past a lorewipe is null and void, you haven't accepted that a lorewiped happened.

While this is true, people can change a name, tweak a story alittle bit and still play the same character and the same thing with groups. I played at the start of this last wipe and no one acted as if it was day one. Everyone was walking around casually as they do now. Saying hi on the road, sharing backstories. It became boring within a month from the wipe and it just progressed from there. 

Just now, Clumsy said:

While this is true, people can change a name, tweak a story alittle bit and still play the same character and the same thing with groups. I played at the start of this last wipe and no one acted as if it was day one. Everyone was walking around casually as they do now. Saying hi on the road, sharing backstories. It became boring within a month from the wipe and it just progressed from there. 

That's why I am suggesting an enforcement.

The people who are still making the least changes they can in order to keep playing their overused boring characters are part of the problem in that sense.

But given that the majority so far in the poll I'd like to think people will make new and interesting characters this time around. Same with groups.

Especially if we re-introduce the loremaster team.

14 minutes ago, Ducky said:

If you’re going to force people to not play previously made characters than just go further and force them to only be able to play Chernarussian or Eastern European type characters from the surrounding countries of Chernarus. If not don’t even bother please. Only exception should be if they are part of a NATO or UN force sent in during the outbreak. 

I think if you did what I suggested than it would change up things a lot, enough to make it different this time around. 

Edited by Zero

6 minutes ago, Ducky said:

That's why I am suggesting an enforcement.

The people who are still making the least changes they can in order to keep playing their overused boring characters are part of the problem in that sense.

But given that the majority so far in the poll I'd like to think people will make new and interesting characters this time around. Same with groups.

Especially if we re-introduce the loremaster team.

Bringing back the loremaster team would help 100%. New characters, groups and new lore would be fresh but I still don’t think going back to day one is going to change anything. People have been comfortable in their two years of walking around without any fear of the infected.

also enforcing the character thing would be hard, near impossible 

Edited by Clumsy

1 minute ago, Zero said:

If you’re going to force people to not play previously made characters than just go further and force them to only be able to play Chernarussian or Eastern European type characters from the surrounding countries of Chernarus. If not don’t even bother please. Only exception should be if they are part of a NATO or UN force sent in during the outbreak. 

I've always been a strong supporter of things that makes sense.

One of my pet peeves has always been the huge amount of foreigners in Chernarus for whatever reason.

I see where you are coming from in taking a hard stance.

I think restricting people that hard might turn too many away.

While restricting people to play new characters after lorewipe is acceptable enough.

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I've always been a strong supporter of things that makes sense.

One of my pet peeves has always been the huge amount of foreigners in Chernarus for whatever reason.

I see where you are coming from in taking a hard stance.

I think restricting people that hard might turn too many away.

While restricting people to play new characters after lorewipe is acceptable enough.

Thing is DayzRP is marketed as a serious RP community, only issue is the longer I’ve been here the more I’ve noticed that it isn’t about r o l e p l a y and anyone saying that it is, is lying to themselves. I think it’s time to double down and make this place more about immersion and the RP experience. We need more stricter rules on PK and enforcement of role play that makes sense. 

Edited by Zero

Just brainfarting over here because I'm new and not yet played.

Is it not possible that there is storyline created that makes things interesting for people? Let a admin give secret objectives to group members or clans, like take over a town and hold it. And give other clans the objective to make peace deals and another to attack.

That way the admins decide how to make things interesting and change things up a little. Or am I talking shit right now??

Edit: admins can give players/attackers a license to kill for a hour or something..

Edited by Goldy
Another brainfart