Server time: 2019-03-25, 21:00 WE ARE RECRUITING
Jasper

Lore Wipe SoonTM

Lorewipe - Yay or Nay  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok so I get that you're probably already angry and typing a whole lot at me right now, just relax a second and wait, read it then decide.

I think there should be a lore wipe sooner rather than later. Not necessarily because things are really stale, or group interactions are kind of fucky right now, or anything like that. Honestly I think things are the opposite of stale right now. But in a few months I truly think a Lore Wipe would be pretty neat. See, if the Dayz developers decide to actually do anything of significance this year and provide our admins with really neat tools and more things in the game itself, a lore wipe would be pretty neat. 

Just visualize it - the UN compound in Kabanino again, except this time it's not just a farm complex with tents patching holes and people standing at the walls peaking over them. This time we have base building and a myriad of other things we didn't have before. We have proper events we can do now with the admin tools (Infected hordes etc.) and all kinds of cool things that would be really cool to experience through the lense of a fresh lore and fresh outbreak. 

Plus it would be a cool opportunity for all the many, many new faces we have here to experience one as they kinda missed out. That, and, personally I miss the feeling of the beginning of the lore wipe as that was easily the most fun and most time I spent in game in this community in my nearly 3 years here. It could really spice things up, give some new ideas and vigor to the event team and other people in staff that contribute to those sorts of things. 

So here I will list in my eyes, the pros and cons of doing a lorewipe within the next few months here

Pros

1) Will unquestionably freshen RP up

2) New players get that "new apocalypse" scenario to RP out and build characters over time off of

3) No reason for petty group beefs or wars for a fair bit of time, leaving much much more room for those that roll solo or dynamic to roleplay with others in hot spots without the threat of a mass initiation looming. 

4) Actual admin tools and base building and event tools to be utilized this time around among other things

5) Could bring a lot of dormant players back who are not motivated to get in game (Not saying population is an issue right now, it's clearly not, but it would be nice to see some respected roleplayers make their return) 

Cons

1) This lore has been quite a bit shorter than the last one, might leave a sour taste in some peoples mouths

2) Groups just recently settled their differences, so doing it TOO soon would make this all feel like it was for naught

3) Anyone in a current story line in game might feel rushed or annoyed that it might get cut short

4) Some people straight up just don't like the beginning of the infection as a time period to play in

5) Some people who just got here might feel like they're missing out on the "deep" apocalypse feel for quite some time. 

These are all the reasons I can think of some might dislike this idea - but you will all almost certainly think of new ones and list them below i'm sure. 

So, with all that being said, what are your thoughts on this? Yay or nay? Why or why not? When do you think we should do this? Personally I think we should shoot for Summer of 2019 or just before Summer. 

Please don't hate me I just like the idea.

I agree.

I have no clue what is going on in this current lore and would like a new one.

I'd say we're at a good state in-game where a lore wipe could come into effect to which it shouldn't ruin tension buildup.

The best time would be to wipe with the next big game or mod update.

Just now, Stannis said:

I agree.

I have no clue what is going on in this current lore and would like a new one.

I'd say we're at a good state in-game where a lore wipe could come into effect to which it shouldn't ruin tension buildup.

The best time would be to wipe with the next big game or mod update.

Personally i'd say this Summer as that gives everyone adequate time to wrap up whatever they have going on, as well as gives the staff team time to plan and write this all out with plenty of time for rewrites or whatever else they need. Plus summer is always popping IIRC. 

Not another lore wipe thread... my opinion people will like the lore for one month and instantly forget about it and not care for it, same as the current lore. Its just better to expand on our current lore or just change the timeframe. 

Edited by Greener161

1 minute ago, Jasper said:

Personally i'd say this Summer as that gives everyone adequate time to wrap up whatever they have going on, as well as gives the staff team time to plan and write this all out with plenty of time for rewrites or whatever else they need. Plus summer is always popping IIRC. 

I can agree with this as long as it doesn't happen anytime soon. Been enjoying my group and our ic friendships.

Just now, Greener161 said:

Not another lore wipe thread... my opinion people will like the lore for one month and instantly forget about it and not care for it, same as the current lore. Its just better to expand on our current lore and just change the timeframe. 

That will only happen if the lore is wrote in a similar way that the lore is wrote currently. 

Lore plays such a small part in daily roleplay, with a lore wipe - we could start again and actually make it mean something with the tools we've got.

Any day now

Just now, Greener161 said:

Not another lore wipe thread... my opinion people will like the lore for one month and instantly forget about it and not care for it, same as the current lore. Its just better to expand on our current lore and just change the timeframe. 

I feel people didn't care because there wasn't nearly half the tools we have at our disposal now. Maybe if Admins were given tools to construct bases and structures in a creative mode ala Minecraft and the much easier to do events now. 

I think it was more of an attention retaining thing than a "not caring" thing. There was just nothing different about it other than using our 

Image result for spongebob imagination gif

Where as now we have tangible things to actually see and use and are actually different. 

Just now, Roland said:

Any day now

Can we at least finish up our current storylines? Not too soon please....

Just now, Roland said:

Any day now

Wait what is this supposed to mean? lmao

Just now, Roland said:

Any day now

Really? was planning shit....

Just now, Roland said:

Any day now

Don't play with my emotions like this 

Image result for jontron gif

1 minute ago, AlanM said:

Really? was planning shit....

I agree. We can't have one that
1) isn't announced, so we can't finish up our story lines
2) have it this soon when stuff is really getting good for a lot of us ingame.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. there doesn't seem to be much context to his response.

The lore needs to be cut down and simplified, encounters with big groups seem "fucky" because nobody knows where they stand, its like every group is going through a identity crisis trying to have goals that make sense with the lore.

A lore wipe will not acheive much I think things will go back to the way they are now, but I think if we use the lore as a general setting and let the players and groups create the story from scratch things will improve.

Just now, Phoenix said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. there doesn't seem to be much context to his response.

Issa meme

Like 90% sure.

Unless he really hates @Major and makes him write the lore in like three days. 

Just now, Phoenix said:

A lore wipe would be good, don't get me wrong. But I've had stuff planned for the past month and it will just go to waste if it is soon and basically put all my work down the drain.

Please do not do a lore wipe without Loremasters that can actually shape the world story and keep things interesting all throughout.

And as far as I'm concerned, screw the 'begining of the apocalypse' phase. It's the worst, it's the exact same thing every damn time and it's just the UN getting wiped out reeeeaaaaal quick.

#NoLoreWipeWithoutAMapChange

Just now, Jasper said:

Issa meme

Like 90% sure.

Unless he really hates @Major and makes him write the lore in like three days. 

I hope it's a meme. Nothing has been said and a lot of us are having a great time ingame right now.

Just now, Pontiff said:

Please do not do a lore wipe without Loremasters that can actually shape the world story and keep things interesting all throughout.

And as far as I'm concerned, screw the 'begining of the apocalypse' phase. It's the worst, it's the exact same thing every damn time and it's just the UN getting wiped out reeeeaaaaal quick.

#NoLoreWipeWithoutAMapChange

Hmmmm

I might be down to wait longer if there's a map that's good and nearing completion but I don't want us to rush into a shit map that's incomplete. Any word on Namalsk?

If there were gonna be a lore wipe, going back to the beginning, again, won’t really change anything. 

Having some admin spawned hordes and buggy bases which wipe themselves out half the time won’t change the quality of RP in any measurable way. We can do all of this now, supply drops, hordes and base building, without wiping out people’s stories. 

Unless there’s a tectonic shift in the way the game is played, like a new map, it’s gonna be a -1 from me.

Totally wipe, quick and easy lore added And boom sorted lad +1

1 minute ago, Jasper said:

Hmmmm

I might be down to wait longer if there's a map that's good and nearing completion but I don't want us to rush into a shit map that's incomplete. Any word on Namalsk?

I mean I can get behind a lore wipe if we get a good couple weeks to finish story lines, but a map change won't happen because Roland said we can't take other people's mods and we can only make our own.

Just now, Terra said:

No lorewipe has ever changed a thing ingame. Fresh start for character, maybe even new one, same old shit within days. I voted no.

Ya but you're missing the point. It could be different this time! We have ACTUAL different shit and tools at our disposal for once. As opposed to using our imagination and some text on the website we could tangibly change things and have visuals and physical things to grasp on to to keep attentions retained for once. 

1 minute ago, BrianM said:

I mean I can get behind a lore wipe if we get a good couple weeks to finish story lines, but a map change won't happen because Roland said we can't take other people's mods and we can only make our own.

True, however Namalsk is not really a mod and would be an official map I believe he stated, and thus should be free to use for the server, no?