Server time: 2017-08-17, 15:38

Sign in to follow this  
Boule de Neige

Currency

Now hear me out, its kinda a weird idea. So in fallout they use something worthless as a currency, caps. Maybe instead of "I'll give you some beans for a flashlight" we could use something like tin cans. You can only carry so many so it could make sense. Other currencies could be ammo, or food, something valuable(ammo), but easy to find(cans).

Kilsalot    0

Pristine military grade rounds like Metro :).

But seriously, I think this would be a good idea if its possible, saves having to trade your best (and only) weapon for a vehicle.

Rolle    2441

You realize that a currency needs to have some kind of value behind it and tin cans are worthless? :D

But seriously, I think this would be a good idea if its possible, saves having to trade your best (and only) weapon for a vehicle.

Exactly like that

Khardia    0

There was a lot of threads regarding the same subject/idea ;)

You realize that a currency needs to have some kind of value behind it and tin cans are worthless? :D

Ammo is a better currency lol

Kilsalot    0

Could you not just use, money? Anyway I know nothing of this sort of thing, so I don't even know if it would be possible. However, if it is, it could be quite cool.

OmigaaaD    0

A currency only has the value that the ones that use gives it :)

Currency only has value because we as humans give it value. The problem with using currency in a post-apocalyptic world is that it also involves trust: you have to trust the other to acknowledge the value of your paper.

... but you can't, obviously. Not in the DayZRP world. Value of ammo is always certain though. No one has to acknowledge that.

Powdermen    0

We give paper-notes value!

Chrome    0

To be fair, the bullet idea does have some promise, even if we have to use mags right now. But I thought I remember hearing something about the standalone requiring one to manually load bullets into magazines for use in their guns. If the RP continues well into the standalone using certain types of bullets could easily be turned into a system like in Metro. It would also open the door to haggling over how much certain items are worth in bullets.

Tortov    0

Times like this, we need Investorinski.

Inb4 hyperinflation through loot cycling of tin cans.

Skates    0

It'd be awesome to use bullets as currency as everyone needs bullets to survive. But sadly bullets are easy to come by so they don't work well as a currency.

I feel that it should remain a resource based economy where people trade items for other items depending on the value of the items according to each person.

Tortov    0

It'd be awesome to use bullets as currency as everyone needs bullets to survive. But sadly bullets are easy to come by so they don't work well as a currency.

I feel that it should remain a resource based economy where people trade items for other items depending on the value of the items according to each person.

Metro 2033 <3.

Hagen    0

+10 military grade rounds

while easy to come by bullets do not last very long as a consumable resource. It will always retain its value because of this. Guns on the other hand aren't a consumable resource and as such the number of guns grows exponentially, this should (in theory) mean that they are worth less than the bullets they fire. but alas this is a game wherein the value of an item is tied to its spawn rate in the world. so theoretically speaking if we were to decrease the spawn rate of ammunition their value would be raised however unlike a gun its value will not lose its worth over time because for every bullet acquired there is another being used.

For those who think TL;DR

- consumable resources make good currency

- non consumable resources do not make good currency

- bullets fall under consumable resource and are therefore a good form of currency

QFT and such.

If we were to use bullets as a currency, it should be decided by our characters we are roleplaying in-game. But obviously our characters will never come to such agreement. ;)

Vasily Malyy    10

Well caps are worthless and they worked in Fallout.

Petrol should be the currency.

But it wouldn't work, as we can fill an infinite amount of Jerry Cans from any Tank.

Bitcoin.

I'll give you 2 SD mags for 1 Bitcoin.

So, around 65 real life bucks for an SD mag?

Hell, i'll give you 3 sd mags for a bitcoin.

Guest Pidget   
Guest Pidget

Yes, lets use AK mags as our currency. I would love to find a good ol M4 holo or something, There are sooooo many AK's in the Dayz RP map I feel like i'm going to end up like one of those guys hanging from the tree's with a rope around their neck...

ingame that is ;)

Blizzard    0

the money item would work best, theres not exactly a good alternitive

Gullio1    0

Well caps are worthless and they worked in Fallout.

True, but the reason they worked is because Fallout takes place 100+ years after the bombs fell, and caps are lightweight, easy to carry, and hard to reproduce (minus one failed attempt). Just after an apocalypse, most people's objectives are not giving value to worthless objects so we can use them as currency.