Server time: 2019-04-25, 08:49
Zero

Is using TS / Discord without double micing bad-RP?

Hello, months ago there was a discussion about why the rule of double micing was removed. In that discussion I believe a senior staff member stated that it could be classified as bad-RP. 

Is using TS to plan an initiation while in front of someone bad RP? If it is why is it not being enforced in reports where there is evidence of this happening?

Was removed from the rules, so people started doing it again.

Not as of the current ruleset.

While the question may have been answered, I'd like to give my views on this.

If you ask me, I believe it should be "logical".

I don't know how accurate in-game VOIP is, but I'd bet money on it it isn't that scalable. Meaning if I am in a house, perhaps even a few floors up, and whisper to my buddy next to me, someone outside on the street could still pick it up even though they shouldn't IC. In this case after careful (whether that is a quick or slow one) judgement I'd consider it to be fine to use external VOIP (as your internal comms system or simply to indicate whispering IG), if the other party can basically not be expected to hear it IG.

If I stand in front of people, have their eyes on me and then just talk with IC relevance into "internal comms" (TS, Discord) etc to plan shit, especially when it may affect others, it is bad RP for me. People do not have a hive mind. Others should see and hear you say something, move your mouth, etc. So if you ask me, with your specific question, I would say yes. How would you logically communicate with your team, allies etc in front of someone without saying something in-game and moving your mouth? Or another example, when you get taken hostage and might still have your radio (otherwise it's pure metagame): You gotta say shit IG too, you can't just magically rely your position to your mates all the time while you remain quiet in-game.

IMO, when it is relevant to others around you and has an IG and IC context, speak up accordingly. I'd consider that part of fairness rules if others do it.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think it's also convenience for many. But for the sake of some shit, we should try to be a bit more realistic (and in that sense fair). Since it's often hard to detect and really punish, all you can basically do is appeal to people to try to mind this, I think.

Edited by Combine

Can be considered bad RP but the problem is the burden of proof. It's almost impossible to prove that someone is using third-party communications even if it seems obvious. There's countless programs that could be used and it's unthinkable to monitor them. Teamspeak, Discord, Skype, Steam voice chat, etc. Staff doesn't have time for that. Personally I think it's silly and takes away a lot from the roleplay, because when it happens you can easily tell their attention is somewhere else, and if their attention is not in game, that's just sad.

Edited by SWAGRP

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the return of the requirement of double-micing. 

I still do it sometimes. Sometimes people think I'm talking to them when I mean to be speaking to my radio dudes.

7 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the return of the requirement of double-micing. 

I still do it sometimes. Sometimes people think I'm talking to them when I mean to be speaking to my radio dudes.

Honestly think it's spookier and way more immersive hearing somebody actually talk to their friends on the radio during a hostile encounter. Shows presence, threat levels and an unknown element of danger actually present. Not hearing somebody, but you know they're talking on the radio, just kills the flow of RP.

+1 to the return of the rule imo

In my opinion I feel it's a form of BadRP but what can you do, the rule was removed. But as mentioned above I wouldn't mind seeing this rule return either. To me it makes more sense IC to double mic. 

+1 to this rule returning. Someone was standing directly next to us yesterday telling a group of people we were talking about what we were saying without double mic and it's like, obviously we'd of heard him. Nothing actually ended up happening besides big dicking, but still.

Honestly I double Mic all the time when on the radio, it adds that element of RP to my character and its only used to further the RP. I would recommend looking down at your characters side of the chest and talking, but it should not be a requirement only a responsibility to the rper to double Mic as it will only add to the RP is the voice is relevent. 

It's not a rule anymore, but I wouldn't mind for this rule to come back. I personally still do this, especially during hostage scenarios or other scenarios where I am talking to other people, 'cause I personally think it looks goofy as hell when you tell someone; "Hold up, let me ask on the radio" and then proceed to silently stand there for a few seconds. Can't be asked to do this in highly populated towns. VOIP is already as bad as it is when people are trying to talk in a town, me talking to "myself" on the radio is not gonna help with that.

One question I have is, how are Textrper's supposed to 'double mic'? or are they just not allowed to initiate? Because, let's be honest if I'm speaking with someone, adding in an extra line of *Goes on radio* 'enter random edgy meme here', while I'm right in front of someone can be clutter some/tedious and everyone inside of chat range can read it, which is 1 reason why I think this rule should stay gone.

The other is, this rule wasn't around when I first joined the community, and I didn't play when this rule was a thing. (at least I wasn't aware of it if I did), We got on fine from 2013-2016/7 whenever the rule was established, and things are going fine now. I don't see a need to re-implement this. Sure, you get your cool 'Oh he's on the radio with people spoopy!' feeling in game, but having been in situations where people have to be silent while speaking to each other over radio equipment, it's not impossible for someone to be 5 yards away from you and making call outs quietly while you can't really understand it. (Anecdotal evidence I know). 

Anyway, not really sure why this matters. So you don't know if the person you're talking to has friends/when they're going to initiate. Big deal, part of the fun from my experiences. Don't get me wrong, if someone is standing before you and just staying silent or doing the bandit shuffle, that's one thing and I believe that should be BadRP. But if someone is actively engaging with you, I don't see what forcing someone to double-mic is going to do to 'further the RP', when you could just have a normal conversation. Plus some conflicts/bandity scenario's are already difficult to hear through. (GM for example), all double-mic is going to do is further the strain on the localized voip. But if some of you masochists out there want that then by all means. 

Yea I’m really happy it’s gone, shouldn’t force people to do that, especially when it could literally never be proved.

I think if you want to initiate, you should pre plan or take someone to the side for a “private talk”. Or even have an overwatcher who can see the issue and radio you in whilst you’re not in VOIP. 

I know when people are being taken hostage, whether or not the people I’m with know my location, I hot mic on the discord / teamspeak so they at least know I’ve been taken hostage. Which then they can chose to hunt and find me or wait until I’m alive.

I only see it as fair for doing it vice versa otherwise only one side has an advantage.  Even though it’s not in the rules, it would be nice to see this happen. More like a common curtesy for other fellow RPers. But it’s up to the people who carry out this action if they want to create a tense RP enviroment instead of everyone going silent and immediately expecting to be held up. 

I would like to see this rule back but it’s up to making a poll I suppose on this and then Roland’s final thoughts.

It's realistic and absolutely makes no sense at all that you have suddenly telepathic powers to talk to your friends.

And yes just because it's hard to prove, it would still make most people do it. Should we really not have this just because of a few bad apples? 

I didn't know it was removed lol, however yes double micing should definitely be a rule