Server time: 2019-03-27, 01:22 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Zipcouda

Newcomer Bites The Dust

So, I am going to play devils advocate of the community for the moment. I want everyone to understand that I don't like this guy, I don't know him, and I feel he should be banned for the days listed for each situation. But the point of this post is to discuss "the tolerance" the community might be willing to allow for newcomers who arn't all familiar with our rules / rp.

Each of the follow reports will be tied to Situation A , B , C, and D for simplicity as I talk about them bellow. You don't really have to read the reports as I discuss them bellow, but they are linked here for people to view if they wish.

Player in question - https://www.dayzrp.com/profile/36730-bacondayz18/

Situation A -

Situation B -

Situation C -

Situation D -

Alright, so basically this Bacon guy got banned from things he did over the course of a day or so. His ingame actions cost him gravely through each scenario, and honestly he did react stuck up when speaking to members of staff and OP's for some of the reports. Please understand I am not trying to protect what this new player did, clearly he screwed up as you will see on the reports, and he earned his permanent ban.

The reason I am making this discussion is to find out peoples opinions. So for the 3 reports listed he earned a perma ban from the community. Granted his attitude wasn't the best in the reports as mentioned above, but I want to dive a bit deeper from the perspective of a new player, and talk about the punishments. Now in the report situation A, they were the initiators in a hostile situation. Remembering that they are new, as you can see in my personal video, they didn't just shoot me. Clearly they were concerned as we approached and frankly knew we were someones friends. You can tell they either acted out of fear or didn't quite understand the KOS / Defense rights that come with being in a hostile situation... That being said even long time players don't fully understand the vague rules we have.

Now in situation B you can see that they are in the same cloths as I killed them in, so this seems to of happened mere moments before Banshee from situation A arrived. After having shot the man in situation B they knew someone was coming to kill them, and they had taken more hostages. In the sense of situation B, I agree they gave shitty rp... however again, they are new to the community and probably aren't to familiar with roleplaying at all, or at least thats my take on their actions. We should keep in mind that the whitelisting process might require them to give information about prior rp, maybe they have some.

In the sense of situation D, that was clearly kos and I won't try to defend their actions there.

Now, the point of all of this is to address what happened. Going back to Bacon, he is very new to the community and makes mistakes his first strides on the server. However they weren't huge mistakes... In my point of view I see most new players running around KOSing and just ruining the experience for everyone else. Yes he did this, but in a manner that he clearly didn't intend to break a rule. All of these reports were made around the same time frame, and now they have all been solved one after another on the same day generating an immediate permanent ban from the community.

I am not trying to say he shouldn't be banned, frankly I think he should still be banned for the amount of days that he was given for each report. But because he is new to the community and has made mistakes as we all do, I feel he should have a chance to learn from these mistakes. Granted, if anything actually came of this and staff decided to give him 29 points on the verge of perm... he might just go KOS everyone. Or there is a chance he might go to a group or a tutor and ask what he did wrong, maybe chill and just experience everyone elses rp. I just feel its overly harsh to permanently ban a new player who made simple mistakes because he probably didn't understand the vague rules that frequently change.

I look forward to everyones opinion. I don't expect anything to come of this, but it would be cool to see us as a forgiving community as we all fuck up now and then.

Edit : He would of been banned for up to 15 days for the Situation A, B, and D together. He would of probably received more for C as well. And frankly I think he should be banned for this much, so he knows he fucked up.

Further Edit : Seems in situation B, that he was given 10 warning points because he isn't familiar with the roleplay we have here. Basically the whole reason of my post is the fact that he is clearly new and punished so harshly that though he made a mistake, he dosn't get the chance to learn from them. Yes telling people to strip off naked isn't the best rp... but they didn't just say strip naked and then shot him. There was continued rp where they were told multiple times that his friends were coming to kill them, which is why they shot him. It just feels... bad to see a new player who makes mistakes not able to learn from them.

Edited by Zipcouda

38 minutes ago, Zipcouda said:

It just feels... bad to see a new player who makes mistakes not able to learn from them.

not trying to pick out anything but...

One report was made Monday.

One was made Tuesday.

He didn’t seem to stop and think maybe he was doing something wrong which ended having two more reports hit up on him on Wednesday. 

If he was to learn from a mistake, he would’ve seen the reoccurring back-to-back reports stacking up against him. He would’ve not portrayed such a bad attitude. And tone down his actions. Unfortunately he did not.

He always has a right of amnesty or a ban verdict. But that’s up to the big man himself.

Yea I guess. He made his account on the 21st of January. Maybe he didn't check back to the forums until he was banned for having not answered the reports against him. Again as hes new, maybe he didn't understand where to find the reports section, or what it even looked like. Obviously he would of received notifications, but that is if he checked back on the forums... which again is his fault I guess.

Edited by Zipcouda

Just now, Zipcouda said:

Yea I guess. He made his account on the 21st of January. Maybe he didn't check back to the forums until he was banned for having not answered the reports against him. Again as hes new, maybe he didn't understand.

All new whitelisters need to go to the rules page and click an agreement before playing. It’s in their own decision to properly read the rules or skip them and provide what they do. This is their risk. 

Personally, given the amount of reports he had gone through within a few days, and him only being recent to the community, I would have put him on final OR strip him of his whitelist and force him to go through it again, to really get the rules into his head. I believe in the past we did that once, and it seemed to help. However times and strategies change.

In the sense of situation C, he is given 10 warning points for the rp of telling a player to get naked. I understand we have rules against bad RP, but as a new player how are you supposed to understand what bad rp is? There are some examples, but the "bad rp" can mean anything to a new player. I didn't even know what rp was when I started way back when... I learned by my experience on the server.

On one hand them being brand new and being yeeted that fast is a feels bad for anyone

On the other hand the volume of reports and level of infractions and the general attitude I personally saw was a little...yeah. 

Personally I'd say when dealing with new people that aren't mass RDMing the go to should usually be final warning and whitelist revoked as opposed to a yeet. But that's just my opinion. 

I have no tolerance for willful ignorance. The new people obviously aren’t reading the rules or going over them throughly enough, that can be seen just by checking out discord or the report section. I will admit sometimes things need to be clarified but the rules as they stand are pretty simple and easy enough to comprehend, minor details need to be clarified sometimes but that’s it. 

When I first white-listed I failed it because of a minor detail in one question but I spent several hours going over the rules. On my second attempt I spent even more time going over them just to make sure. I treated the white-list like an exam. I’ve never been found guilty in a report in my four years being here.

I feel like those people were treating the server like a no kos sever or just a shitty altis life one, the fact that the reports spanned over several days is bad enough but then to act like they didn’t give a shit makes it worse.

with that being said there is a difference between an accidental rule break and not reading the rules over enough, maybe some leniency could be given for people who accidentally broke a rule and realize what they did was an infraction. 

Edited by Zero

Pretty much what @Zero said. You are going to have people who join this server just for the sake of not being KOSed and providing just enough roleplay to get by. The amount of reports the person was in was extensive in his short time here. I do remember while in staff that if you were found guilty of a rule break that was a certain amount of days or points and you haven't been whitelisted for more than 30 days you had your whitelist removed. That was for like...one report. This person had multiple up in the course of a few days and was obviously checking the forums because he was replying and being temp banned. If you are involved in that many situations and you don't stop to think...Hm..maybe I should talk to staff and find out what I'm doing wrong, then I have no sympathy for you. 

The staff team is not here to babysit the community. It's up to you to learn the rules and it's up to you to reach out for help if you feel like maybe you're lacking understand of the rules. This gentleman, as seen many times in the reports, clearly stated that he didn't believe he was doing anything wrong. Now can he appeal or amnesty his way back in...sure but is he going to learn from this is the question. His general attitude shows otherwise. 

While it can be hard for new members to be able to put the rules into play, given every RP situation is different, if you are not understanding how things work or you are in a lot of reports...maybe it's time to step away from hostile bandit RP and get comfortable with the rules first. That's the biggest problem I see with new members is they want to be hostile, they want to be the bandit, the bad guy and they don't have an understanding of the rules. 

@Clumsy I agree, but I don't believe he even saw he was in reports till he was temp banned. But by then he had already made the mistakes so there was no going back.

@Zero I agree as well with your statement. It its their responsibility to know what the rules are and to investigate them thoroughly. But again, He received 10 warning points for KOS in situation 1, which in my video you cant hear him say "Get the fuck back or die" as he said he yelled. Which this might be because of DayZ's faulty voip or maybe his mic cut out... or maybe he didn't say it at all.

Then in situation B he is held to our veteran expectation of rp. How could he have any idea what qualifies as bad rp to the community when most of us have been through it for so long that we have grown to distinguish bad rp from good and yet we still screw up sometimes.

Edited by Zipcouda