Server time: 2019-02-22, 09:33 WE ARE RECRUITING
Mace

Community Tribalism, from the perspective of a Campfire Text RPer

I agree. We should all be more accepting. +1

I agree with the overall statement Mace.

However, I've personally been involved in many communities myself, and one thing I've come to realize is the following.

We as humans often like to keep things simple, structured.

We like to put things and people in boxes, categories.

We like to group things together, add ties in places where there seemingly is none, just to get a better perspective.

And the problem with this is, you tend to hang out with those who have the same opinions as you, which allows those opinions to grow and strengthen.

There will always be cliques, there will always be an "Us vs Them" in one way or another and there will always be a stubborness to changing your ideas that make it incredibly difficult to reason with "Them."

That's how I see things, albeit cynical and pessimistic (I am danish after all) it is my view on the situation, and it has been my view since I joined this community back in 2013.

Arrogance, ignorance, categorizing, belittlement...

The list can go on regarding the massive issue that the community faces. I've talked time and time again about the massive issue behind us vs. them mentality. People like to believe that they are superior in their opinion and their beliefs and that because you aren't us, you obviously can't understand our issues or pain. This is an issue in real life with beliefs and opinions as well, as I would hope most of you know by now. We've gotten too comfortable with the name-calling with 'hostile RP' and 'Campfire RP'. I used to just remember when it was Hero, Bandit or Survivor RP. Now, this has just gotten into a pissy fit on who's RP is worse. How far have we really fallen to get to this level of hate for the other group, I've seen so much hate from these so-called Campfire RPers to Hostile RPers and these so-called Hostile RPers to Campfire RP. When can we mature as a community to respect the idea that both sides have reasons to roleplay as they do and that everyone can learn from each other? I hope we can get out of this high school clique style of the community soon. 

Honestly I couldnt be fucked to read the whole thing sorry Mace.

But, the vibe I got was that you believe campfire RPers are mocked as a whole. Which is true. But theres a lot of spite and jokes that come from the other side as well. All is fine in my eyes, its just some people get salty and take it too far.

@Mace You make some good points here. Ill say what I mean by "campfire rp," my views also boil down to being here for quite a while, so I'm sure you'll be able to understand as you were active during the mod and I'm sure we have rp'd in the past.

There is countless people that think hostile roleplayers are just in it for the kills and to ruin their non-hostile roleplay, I see plenty of posts directed at bandits that are just salty but wouldn't be considered flame. Campfire RPer is a term that gets thrown around not as an insult in my opinion, its the same as "bandit rper" to me. 

I'm not against campfire rp in any way but there is a time and place for it, I honestly hate the way people gather in whatever town is popular at the time to sit around, the roleplay is dreadful most of the time due to there being too many people and it always gets pretty trolly (until a bandit group initiates hehe). It just doesn't make any sense in an apocalyptic world, especially if your character uses the server lore.

Believe it or not us bandit groups actually enjoy sitting around a campfire, but we do it in secluded places when meeting new characters or progressing internal RP. 

Personally I do think the roleplay has taken a serious downfall overall, there is a lack of progression thats why the term "stale rp" gets thrown around. It's not like robberies are problem either, personally from playing a decent bit solo I've only been initiated on once. It is clear that a lot of people don't enjoy any hostile roleplay (not matter how good it is) at all and offer nothing to the situation because they just want to get out of there and start gearing their character back to the way they want, it's something you see quite a bit as a bandit.

I've tried playing non-hostile characters in the past, but the reason I joined this server in the first place was because I googled "DayZ server with no KOS," this server had no roleplay at all for the first few months. I never joined this community to actually roleplay but the idea grew on me and the group I joined first on the server actually got the RP ball rolling on the server, so when I play I need that rush of a robbery, just like you need those quiet moments around a campfire.

Like I said nothing against campfire rp, the community is definately split but you and I both know it has ALWAYS been that way.

I just finished reading through this post in its entirety and I'm still digesting it for the most part. Below I'll share some thoughts.

Tribalism

Everything you said about the "us versus them" problem is true. Whether it's natural or artificial is up for debate. Regardless, it's our responsibility as writers, actors and story-tellers to make sure that this distance between different types of roleplayers is lessened. 

Your Responsibility Toward Enjoyment
The point you made about how people ought to ensure that the other party enjoys the roleplay is something I wholeheartedly agree with. Roleplay is a form of improvisation, and when doing improv in groups, all parties must build off each other's actions. Avoiding a brick-wall is the goal, and keeping the flow going is the method. In order to keep the flow going, you have to offer sufficient stimuli to guarantee that the opposite party can continue the "act" or in our case the "roleplay". 

For example, a hostage situation. Party A, the hostage, responds to the actions of Party B with vigour and engagement, enabling B to respond with the same amount of engagement. This wouldn't be possible if Party A just sat there and went "screw this" and offered the most lacklustre responses possible. The same goes vice-versa. 

Roleplay is a collaborative experience, and we all share a responsibility towards enjoyment. 

Text RP?

There is nothing inherently wrong with Text-RP in theory. Coming from a long history of Garry's Mod and World of Warcraft Text-RP, I can understand fully the appeal of Text-RP. It enables you to explore a character that you perhaps couldn't have acted through your voice alone. Personally, I roleplay with a mix. I always say what Roma says over VOIP, but when it comes to actions - smoking a cigarette, searching someone's pockets or running a hand through his hair - it goes through text. The problem with Text-RPers arises when there is a high-stakes situation or a fast-paced situation and they're not able to convey their characters in appropriate time. Furthermore, to properly Text-RP a level of writing skill comes into play which includes the use of descriptive words and being able to type in a pace that can keep up with people who use VOIP to roleplay. 

You seemed to raise one of my issues about Text-RP in a different context in your post, too:

That story doesn't by itself lets you know a few things about the character, but the way it's said can tell you more. Can you hear the contempt in his voice for being left here? Does he still sound fond of the idea of helping people, or has that abandonment made him realize that people only care about themselves and he should too? Those things are subtle, but they can give you an idea about someone without outright asking probing questions about their morals, and in a situation where people may not ever really show their true face, little hints of characterization, the people they really are, can help you judge who is safe to be around, who you can trust, and who might just be trying to get close to you so they can abuse you or rob from you or yours.

This largely isn't possible with Text-RPers. Sure, you can through in a ** Johnny speaks with a shaky voice, or a ** Jacky looked down as he spoke. But with most of my encounters with Text-RPers, descriptive emotes such as those are just not present. Voice will always trump text in portraying emotion in DayZRP.

This isn't only due to one's inability due to pacing, but it is also due to the limitations of DayZ. It doesn't really support "text" as a valid form of communication. The character limit is laughably small, and the size of the text-box requires players to literally squint to read it properly. The absence of a /me or a /it command is disappointing, too. 

I'd like to mention one more thing: the use of "camp-fire roleplay" is outdated and doesn't account for the roleplay that occurs in most "camp-fire roleplay" circles. I find that "passive-RP" is a much more suitable term, as it describes roleplay that doesn't involve hostile action whilst avoiding conjuring up images of a group of people sitting near debug cooking wolf steak and telling the same generic backstories. 

I'll post more/edit this post if I come up with more additions or points. Thank-you for opening this discussion in a concise and calm manner. Other threads haven't been so kind.

See, it may seem a bit odd but this is what I'd like to see happen in this thread. I like to hear people's opinion because the general idea is, in my opinion, that everyone can do better, and by simply pointing a finger at someone you aren't doing anything, especially if you are pointing a finger at a group of people simply because you had a bad experience. I'd like to point out again that it wasn't my intention to direct this solely at people who are focused on more hostile activities in game, nor do I think you are without your moments of internal RP or character growth, but because I have seen this tribalism grow from my own time back in late 2012 until we actually had to whitelist in 2013. 

I can understand the mentality behind seeing the same things happening overall in a city or a place that has some semblance of security to it, but as I stated in my post that is part of the psychology of humans and it makes sense in an apocalyptic setting to band together because that's just what humans do. I harbor no intention of trying to defend people who end up just doing silly things for the sake of doing silly things because they think they're in a place where people won't initiate on them, and honestly if I thought my computer could handle it I'm sure I would have recorded and reported quite a few people for what I think is RP that is harmful overall to the server.

As for people who generally focus on more hostile characters and RP I find myself having far fewer fond memories than frustrating ones, and of course that informs my own opinions on things but I also try to remember that ultimately we are individuals and that there's no reason to let the poor RP of a person or a group of people create a stigma over a concept of RP as a whole, and I've listed some of the reasons that I think that happens in that lack of understanding that as soon as a person initiates, they should understand they are taking responsibility for the RP. Yes, the person initiated on has their own responsibility and burden to bear, but the one in control of a scene is the one the onus falls on to try to make sure something enjoyable is had by the involved parties and that, in my own experiences, seems to be something that some groups do not understand or do not take into consideration with what they do, and it's why I mentioned it. It's not meant as a chastisement, but as a reminder, a pointer to this so that people can try to create better RP overall, just like I point out the fact (and would like to reiterate just for emphasis) that those who are initiated on in a scene shouldn't be a dead fish during it. 

I'm glad to hear the opinions of someone who has been around as long as I have, and while I can agree that I think there have been some dips in the overall quality of things it's hard for me to put a finger on why exactly I feel this way and I have to temper my own memories and experiences with the realization that nostalgia is a powerful thing and that I simply enjoyed (And still do enjoy) the mod better than I do DayZ in its current iteration. As buggy and broken as it was, and with fewer survival elements to it, it offered an avenue for the customization of RP around looser restrictions that made for some more enjoyable times in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there.

I just think there are people who believe that "passive RP" as Xavier put it is somehow inferior or less fulfilling in some way from comments or criticisms that they make of it, and I think all RP can be good if people are serious about it and put in effort. The whole point of this post was to try to bring everyone together for the betterment of RP and break down the idea of barriers or differences since ultimately we are all here to have fun in our own way.

@Xavier I'm actually upset that the character limit for text was reverted in this latest version. In .62 I believe we actually had more to work with per post and while it was still nothing like you'd get in a proper text-based game it let people like myself put a bit more detail into things without having to make multiple posts and risk people not being able to see them all. You do, however, bring up a good point and while it's one that I don't quite agree with, it is worth mentioning: Emotion via text. I've written about this before in text-based game communities but sadly my time in them was so far gone that none of the forums are still active or I've simply forgotten names as my memory gets worse.

I believe voice can be a powerful thing to those who are skillful with it. There are some people in our community that could easily do voice acting with a bit of formal training (If they haven't already gotten it) and have absolutely lovely voices and characterization. That said, there are situations in which I believe voice takes away quite a bit and can be a detriment compared to text, though please understand that I realize my own bias in this despite trying to be objective. Voice RP is something that requires practice, just like text RP, but when in a suitable situation I do try to make sure (And I think other people can attest to this) that there is emotion in what I produce through text and that I try to offer tidbits of detail that you can't get through a focus solely on voice. I do quite enjoy physical detail, remembering I cut my teeth years ago in text RP and I've worked with it for so long, and I find the entire "gesture wheel" system a bit limiting just as you find text limiting in proper conveyance of emotion for scenes. That said just like I think there are things that can be overcome with text if you practice and show care in what you produce, the same is certainly true with voice. There are people who have mimicked some rather gruesome injuries after torture or who have created very compelling and realistic sounds in response to abuse or emotional stress that can really pluck at your heartstrings, just the way (in my opinion) good writing can.

While in my opinion I think text RP is, overall, a better way to RP and again I admit my own bias in that, I'd never begrudge anyone the chance to experiment with voice RP or to try to practice and become more skilled with it, it's something that requires an adjustment of expectations, and I'm totally aware of why people might not want to do that or why they might think it isn't something worth they time going both ways, but much like everything else in my original post I'm always pushing for experimentation, understanding, and growth. If we get to RP sometime when it isn't hectic I hope to show you some text RP that I think I do fairly well at in hopes of changing your mind. Maybe I will, maybe I won't, who knows? I'd still like the chance sometime though, and even if you don't end up enjoying it or are critical of it, that's an opportunity for me to improve.

Edit: +1 for /me, please. 

Edited by Mace

Spoiler

@Xavier I'm actually upset that the character limit for text was reverted in this latest version. In .62 I believe we actually had more to work with per post and while it was still nothing like you'd get in a proper text-based game it let people like myself put a bit more detail into things without having to make multiple posts and risk people not being able to see them all. You do, however, bring up a good point and while it's one that I don't quite agree with, it is worth mentioning: Emotion via text. I've written about this before in text-based game communities but sadly my time in them was so far gone that none of the forums are still active or I've simply forgotten names as my memory gets worse.

I believe voice can be a powerful thing to those who are skillful with it. There are some people in our community that could easily do voice acting with a bit of formal training (If they haven't already gotten it) and have absolutely lovely voices and characterization. That said, there are situations in which I believe voice takes away quite a bit and can be a detriment compared to text, though please understand that I realize my own bias in this despite trying to be objective. Voice RP is something that requires practice, just like text RP, but when in a suitable situation I do try to make sure (And I think other people can attest to this) that there is emotion in what I produce through text and that I try to offer tidbits of detail that you can't get through a focus solely on voice. I do quite enjoy physical detail, remembering I cut my teeth years ago in text RP and I've worked with it for so long, and I find the entire "gesture wheel" system a bit limiting just as you find text limiting in proper conveyance of emotion for scenes. That said just like I think there are things that can be overcome with text if you practice and show care in what you produce, the same is certainly true with voice. There are people who have mimicked some rather gruesome injuries after torture or who have created very compelling and realistic sounds in response to abuse or emotional stress that can really pluck at your heartstrings, just the way (in my opinion) good writing can.

While in my opinion I think text RP is, overall, a better way to RP and again I admit my own bias in that, I'd never begrudge anyone the chance to experiment with voice RP or to try to practice and become more skilled with it, it's something that requires an adjustment of expectations, and I'm totally aware of why people might not want to do that or why they might think it isn't something worth they time going both ways, but much like everything else in my original post I'm always pushing for experimentation, understanding, and growth. If we get to RP sometime when it isn't hectic I hope to show you some text RP that I think I do fairly well at in hopes of changing your mind. Maybe I will, maybe I won't, who knows? I'd still like the chance sometime though, and even if you don't end up enjoying it or are critical of it, that's an opportunity for me to improve.

I agree with you fully on that "text RP is, overall, a better way to RP". I still Text-RP on Garry's Mod to this very day. The creativity and potential via text is unlimited on scripts and games that actually support that type of roleplay. My argument mainly lies that DayZRP just isn't the place for it. I'm very curious to see how you Text-RP and perhaps we'll run into each other soon. Emotion is always a tricky one and still, after all these years, I still find it hard to portray it properly - especially with torture RP.

Exactly, I'd love to make a topic on torture, both physical and mental, and the impact it can have on a person. An emphasis on the idea of shock and how it can affect someone being tortured, and the overall uselessness (As has been studied) of torture on gaining viable intelligence since most people from what I remember reading tend to agree that any kind of "enhanced interrogation" yields whatever sort of information the person believes will get the acts to stop. That right there is an interesting point, I think, and one that could definitely be given more weight in the form of RP. It should be something that is fairly common knowledge, though I also think a lot of torture is motivated more toward the idea of revenge or some show of dominance rather than the extraction of potentially useful and secret information. Emotion in general can be hard to pin down, and even in voice it can be difficult for people to find a way to really make it hit you. There are some people in the community who have skill with their voice that can punch you in the gut with emotion, and that can be hard to emulate through text simply because it's a different experience, it touches different parts of your brain and you can't go into it expecting exactly the same thing from both.

In April I'll have been doing text RP for 22 years now, and while I started out as a whippersnapper when I was very young, but despite it all I'm still the most critical of what I write because I'm always trying to improve, and that is another attitude I think should be more widespread among the community and that I don't see the hints of that I'd like to. Sort of tying in with what Jerry said, I think one of the issues with what a lot of people see as a dip in quality over the years is a kind of complacence with what they put out which I can just never agree with. There is a sort of sentiment I've seen before that "If it's not reported for BadRP it's good RP" which isn't really the case, and you should never assume you gave someone great RP, or even assume that what you consider to be great RP you see between two groups was great RP for the people involved. It's such a subjective, finnicky thing that plays on these tastes of a community of people not only as individuals but from different parts of the world where there are a lot of different styles and focuses to take into account. One thing I like to point out is an old, old tabletop game called Shadowrun. I love it, it's one of my favorite games, and we've just recently had a resurgence of it with the video games and fourth and fifth edition, but back in the 90's Shadowrun's third edition just sort of faded away in America, but in Germany? Germans fucking LOVE Shadowrun, they got some books published that were only ever published in German because it was such a big thing over there and that were never officially translated. The whole near-future dystopia idea was much bigger there and it is still fairly niche here (Though it has its resurgences now and then, I think Cyberpunk 2077 will be a big help to that) but that can affect the sort of formative growth of someone in what they view as important in a narrative and that translates to what they believe is important in RP.

I ultimately just want to try to encourage people not to blame entire swaths or styles of RP even if you have bad experiences with them. It's a big RP world out there so never be afraid of experimenting with something. Make a villain, make a hero, make a pacifist, try it all and explore not only what you get but what you give to people and always try to be better, always strive to give people the great RP you'd love to receive in every interaction in game. I want to raise the bar for the server, and I think a big part of that is having a closer, more understanding community.

campfire rp is a stigma, people who would rather sit around and sing happy songs and then get upset when bad stuff happens because it 'ruins their roleplay'.

like a lot of people that fall under the 'campfire rp' stigma are those who pre-determine their roleplay. they come into a scenario with everything written in their head from start to end, and when someone comes in and initiates or acts like an asshole it just throws a wrench into their pre-determined story and they get upset.

its not even directed at people who actually just roleplay around a campfire, more at those who have issues with 'hostile roleplay' because it ruins their 'fun'. as if they don't quite grasp we're in a fucking apocalypse.

it's a double sided coin though. you get the extreme's of campfire rp, and the extreme's of gearrp/hostilerp. it's literally just an in-game political spectrum between campfire and hostile roleplay, and at the very extreme's they are toxic and bad for the community, whereas a centralized, mixed view of it is what you should expect to play as if you want to have an enjoyable and diverse time on the server imo. if you get upset because someone was rude to you on an OOC basis, grow up. and if you just run around robbing everything with a pulse... you're also the problem.

as per the text-rp. i personally don't really care, sure, do textrp. but on the same page.. don't expect people to want to roleplay with you if shit's going south. like for example if i take you hostage.. that limits MY roleplay to;

-not being able to ask questions and walk at the same time

-have to wait in the open/in hostile areas for you to type

-have to wait in general for a response, regardless of how fast you type, talking will always be faster.

because it's just awkward asking a question.. then waiting.. and waiting.. and waiting.. for all 4 of the text chats to go through because of the new shitty text-max they have.

I imagine this was a pretty good read but even by my standards this is a literal essay and I'll take the TLDR version.

'Campfire RPer's' pretty much get talked shit about because of many reasons. Personally for me its because for a time the vast majority of people in the community and even in staff itself was indeed campfire RP'ers with really no knowledge of bandit life. Yes you may have robbed someone here or there, but most if not all were never full on bandits. This led to a significant shift in the community and its rules, putting a significant emphasis on campfire RP while denigrating all forms of bandit/hostile RP. If everyone in the room thinks the same, they are pretty much all going to agree. Thus this put hostile RP'ers and bandits pretty much out in the dog house for a long period of time because their type of RP did not conform to what was staff's ideal roleplay or a majority of the community. Stricter rules were put in place and nearly eliminated hostile RP from the server by having to literally ask people if it was ok to be robbed.

Thankfully the worst is behind us and while hostile RP'ers in general are no longer marginalized and biased against near as badly as before, the scars of that sort of treatment certainly are still there for the old blood around here like myself. I've seen what the server was like during the vast majority of mod and the type of players were in it. Players who could craft amazing stories and roleplay with the best of them but also hold their own in a gunfight. Only during the middle times of Standalone RP was there a significant split in this really, where players became literally incapable of doing anything other then sitting around asking if people wanted to trade 5.56 for a can of beans and went into a rage when they were engaged in any form of RP that was not their own. On the flip side you have players who went the other way, where people cant really RP to save their life but can slay an army's worth of people in the blink of an eye. 

DayZ is a story, however it is not your story it is the combination of everyone living together in the world we have all created. If someone doesnt go your way, handle it like a man.....or a woman....and play out what makes sense, not just what you wanted to actually happened.

TLDR: I dislike pure campfire RP'ers, but I also dislike pure pvp'ers.

Anyone who pre-determines their experience OOC is an issue. On really any side of the "RP Spectrum", same goes for meeting up OOCly just to be with OOC friends. 

In the defense of the so-called Campfire RPers, I think most, not all, have an issue with over-the-top hostile RP, not hostile RP in general. At least from my perspective what I've seen and heard during the Anarchy RP boys reign, it was less about the fact they were Hostile RPers, it was just at times that petty things would be picked out for a reason to be hostile. In my opinion, I am okay with the idea of someone doing frankly whatever, as long as it makes sense. What makes sense to me? Insulting you, doing something immoral, going against your beliefs, hell, if you want me gear, I'm okay with that. I don't really care for the reason as long as it is genuine and has quality RP with it. Another argument I've heard from other players is that they hide away in the woods and make RP stale. Well, as people argue, it's the apocalypse. So, as much as bandits will do as they wish, it only makes sense that the people who don't want harm would go hide from the masses. 

Now, the arguments that I will defend with the so-called Hostile RPers. The biggest one is about the PVP and this is sadly a case-by-case situation. Unfortunately, there has been a surge of mentality surrounding PVP, but that does not mean you should bundle all people who are hostile into that category. However, the people who are often accused for being a PVPer are being thought of for someone else. There are a select few who are godlike in their abilities to PVP, but that is the exception, not the rule. Another thing I've heard is the "Die die never comply" mentality and again, this is tricky. As some people have stated in the past, they've gotten little RP from people when they surrender and often just lead to a quick execution. This should lead into a conversation regarding how hostage RP can be done successfully and in an interesting manner which concludes with a satisfying end for both parties. I think the whole concept being hostage RP has been lost to both sides in my honest opinion, it's felt more as an annoyance recently rather than something to fear. Another argument is that Hostile RPers ruin fun. Again, just because a small group of people acted in a manner which you could perceive as trolling or otherwise, doesn't mean they should all get the treatment. Hostile RPers are here to enjoy RP just as much as the next, the only difference is they enjoy bring the antagonist. However, I do have my personal thing about this style of RP, I do feel like the motivations of said hostile characters can be played out better overall. Always avoid the "Bad because I can" which is where I see most complaints really originate from. But back to my point, they are here to have fun just as much as you. If you get caught by one, don't think so much OOCly about it, try to resolve it with your character and take whatever happens in a purely IC manner unless rules are broken. Overall, there is nothing inherently wrong with Hostile RP, a lot of the other side just like to paint everyone with the same brush.

Now that I'm done with that, I feel like I should say this. Both sides should learn something about the other. Keeping yourself confined to one area and denying the other's opinion won't get us anywhere as a community. Both hostile RPers and Campfire RPers need to stop getting at each other's throat and instead give constructive criticism to each other in a respectful manner and even befriend them. 

TLDR, I'm assuming it's about something to do with Campfire RP and PVP? 

Just find a mix of both... That's the best way... No point in writing a huge essay about something we've discussed hundreds of times... 

Also, if you say you'd enjoy TextRP > VOIP... You're wrong imo. Take it from someone who's done both.

Or Suttin' Like Dat 

108.9... On your dile...

I get what you're saying. I think that report where some guys got mag dumped while trying to strong arm someone is a good example of how the schism affects stuff IG. 

I enjoy both styles but I have a hard time getting non hostile RP unless I hide or ditch my weapon and plate carrier. I think part of issue is that both styles can get boring.

Bad hostile RP ends up causing OOC salt because you lose your stuff in a lame experience so some dude can get an ego boost. 

Bad campfire RP can put anybody to sleep. 

BanditRPers get bored with campfire RP and prefer action and its easy to not value campfire RP, and look down on those players especially when the hostage isn't putting any effort in because they're annoyed with Hostile RP. On the flip side of the coin campfire RPers get annoyed when they lose their things (whether they are RP items or they just enjoy having nice stuff) and so they look down on hostile Rpers cause of bad experiences/ 5 second robberies. Then we get forum posts about how one type of RP needs to stop or the other type sucks and it snowballs. 

Maybe encouraging people to try both styles to see whats fun/difficult about each would help? 

At the end of the day people like what they like and will be biased, but I agree we should try not to look down on people for their RP styles or at the very least not let those OOC opinions carry over IG.

So I havent read the entire thing, but I will respond with this.

This is part of the problem. "Us and them" Whats up with that? Elitism at its finest

>Force groups to post at least three times a week screenshots of text RP/VoIP showing development even after they get official.

>Problem solved.

/closed upon request by the OP