Server time: 2019-03-25, 21:03 WE ARE RECRUITING
Bailey

Map Extension

Map Extension  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ahh South Zagoria. We've created many memories here, whether it was on the RP server or any other public or whitelisted servers across the whole DayZ video game. South Zagoria will always be the OG of DayZ. But, it seems to be getting a bit dull now, we now know where to go, we know where everything is and what everything looks like and where the best places for gear are. What if, we had a change of scenery? OR perhaps......go beyond No Mans Land?

In Seriousness though, I really think we should extend the map into a much bigger Chernarus, it kind of gets boring exploring old ruins and towns that we've already been to 10+ times. I think there can be a much bigger world (or country) out there to explore and see. So I'm thinking, if the devs had the time and effort to do it, we should extend Chernarus.

Picture below to show what I mean:

507px-School_map_co.jpg.0e8f66bf7383a258ec56fb76cf46082d.jpg

Also, this would probably mean making Vehicles more common, I mean you aren't actually going to be Jogging/Sprinting to these locations, are you?

Probably not possible, we are talking making the map 4 or 5 times bigger. And this all has to be created from scratch, Gonna take a crap ton of work if it is feasible. Plus the performance etc etc. 

Regardless, it would be really cool to have a huge map with as many people playing as possible. I know a lot of people don't like big maps but I'm all for it, a very immersive experience.

Just now, Harvey said:

Probably not possible, we are talking making the map 4 or 5 times bigger. And this all has to be created from scratch, Gonna take a crap ton of work if it is feasible. Plus the performance etc etc. 

Regardless, it would be really cool to have a huge map with as many people playing as possible. I know a lot of people don't like big maps but I'm all for it, a very immersive experience.

Yes, cool idea, not possible to do. 1. Would have to create a whole new map from scratch as we can not expand an existing map. 2. People don't realise how much work it actually is to make a good looking map. It took BI 5 years to make Chernarus+ as to what we see today and that's built upon the already existing map from Arma2. A whole new map with the quality takes years, as Namalsk has been in developement for 2-3 years.

This video is pretty good:

They also made a huge map for what could be possible for the rest of Chernarus:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xM41lgRhleRGx5SDh3S3pfMzg/view

But far too big I think, wouldn't really work well.

Edited by Stannis

It definitely will need to be addressed once vehicles are back in the game. I can already see the convoys and caravans of traders roaming from West to East, but this is all wishful thinking. Like @Mishoalready mentioned, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to create a map of the quality of Chernarus+, especially with just dedicated teams of a couple of 'amateurs' compared to a team of professional environment designers. I'm all for a bigger map with a 1000 players running around, but I don't think it can be done currently.

Edited by Pontiff

Unlikely.

However it may be possible to make an in house map if we gather more developers interested in mapping exclusively, while we wouldn't be able to expand to your original idea, well, ever unfortunately. We may be able to map a smaller, instanced map perhaps around the Novigrad area? Food for thought, as while the original idea in the perfect world would be lovely, it just isn't realistic. 

It’d be amazing if this could be done, but as stated above it’d take a lot of devs. 

Not an extension of current map but if small maps can be made that is set in Western Chernarus to be used in events. I'll be up for it.

Think of a map set in Belozersk. We could have an event simulating the CDF vs BPR. Or the Takistani border or simply life in miroslavl or novigrad.

Well as cool as your idea and I would love to do it, the way you propose this idea is fundamentally impossible. We could expand the map by creating an entirely new map with new additions which is EXTREMELY time consuming you’re looking at give or take 1-2 years of development for a proper terrain depending on how many people are actively working on it. I’ve proposed an idea before to Jim about starting a new terrain project as it is my favorite type of development but sadly he said him and rolle were not interested in a new terrain. If at any point this decision does change and there is a larger support for development of a new terrain I would absolutely love to being work on it ASAP. Hopefully this answers your question about terrain expansion.

Would love a more scary looking chernarus tbh.

The map is already so big, dont make it bigger but change the looks of the chernarus! 

Edited by Jackfish

Jesus Christ, God please no. The map is too big as is. We need a SMALLER map. 

Spoiler

Edited by Zero

Honestly, I just want vehicles to be common, right now if you find one, people steal it, or destroy it if they can't. I want it to be a common resource, but still require serious maintenance, especially if you use it all the time.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:38 AM, Harvey said:

Thats the dream but unfortunatly bigger map = more server resources being used = less total players. Unfortunate part of game development is it is very hard to get a good balance of map size to player count. I wish we had a smaller map and more people because that could actually be possible.

My biggest problem right now with the map is the size vs the player count, way too big and way too little people, even with a full server I dont meet a lot of people unless i wanna go to Kab which gets boring. 100 players ruins the server preformance and its already too little for the map size

If you can get the server to handle it and the map doesn’t look like shit. Yeah sure.

I am currently making a map based upon the region surrounding Novigrad, but this is a spare time project and non-dayzrp related. We can't touch Chernarus+, unfortunately. There will probably never be an extension of it that is bigger than 10km, unless the engine improves heavily.

spreading people out over a map that's 5 times bigger. I like the idea of a bigger/different map. A different one might work out. A bigger one probably won't.

Even if the devs could create a map that much bigger it would probably be empty and lacking content, and that's setting aside all the other problems with the idea.

Edited by YO_MIKE

The problem with expanding the map to Chernarus would be creating a whole map from scratch. The original creators of the map of South Zagoria based it off of a real life landscape. Many forests, hills and roads match the real life equivalent to South Zagoria.

chernarus_compare.jpg

I myself would love the whole complete landscape of Chernarus, but I think that's only something to dream about and I doubt it will ever happen.

Edited by Finn

It's not possible to expand the current map, we can only make new ones. Talked with Mike today about doing an industrial city just west of SZ. Might be cool.