Server time (UTC): 2019-07-19, 21:46
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RyanOG

New rule for settlements

Should it be a thing?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest RyanOG

Just wanting to chuck something out here,

the minute someone takes a tool to your wall to destroy it, you should gain KOS, or if they are inside the settlement?

Attempting to break in, yes. Inside your base, no.

I can think of many reasons and ways someone would/could be inside your base without breaking in, however breaking in is (in my opinion) considered a hostile act. For example, if the door was left open and the person is seeking shelter/food, water, etc. that's perfectly fine. But if the person took a tool to your wall, or broke your door down and you witnessed it, that should be considered a hostile act and gain KOS rights.

I believe if you catch them in the act of breaking down the wall you should gain KoS, especially given how long it takes to break a wall, if you catch someone then they are clearly committed to being hostile towards the base owners.

The act of breaking down or destroying your walls? Yes, absolutely. Blow them away. There is no good excuse for why someone would be doing that without meaning to harm the livelyhood of whomever put up the base. It would be hard to misidentify someone, as you can't 'accidentally' start tearing down a base.

As for inside the base? No, definitely not. By all means initiate on them, tell them to leave, etc. But there is just as much chance they broke the door down to get in, as someone else broke it down hours before and they wandered in. Or maybe they changed servers and landed inside the base. Or maybe you built it after they logged off, and when they logged back in they were stuck inside. Or maybe... or maybe... etc, etc. Its not nearly as clearcut as someone breaking down a wall.

No thanks. I like hostilities as much as the next guy but this allows for the minimal amount of roleplay.

15 minutes ago, BanksRP 2 said:

No thanks. I like hostilities as much as the next guy but this allows for the minimal amount of roleplay.

I actually dislike hostilities personally. I don't engage in robberies, or actively seek out a firefight.

But I am against people that take advantage of rules (or their absence) to grief large groups, which invariably are the ones trying to set up the fortified encampments. Knowing full well that you can't be killed unless initiated on, I've personally watched people ignore RP, dance around the outside of groups, start knocking on a fence, then run off the second someone starts to move towards them, getting out of range of voice for initiations. That to me is minimal amount of roleplay, I don't care how much IC 'sense' it makes. If someone tries to pull that argument of 'It makes sense for my character to be breaking in to their base, we don't like them' then the easy and obvious answer is 'It makes sense for their character to dome you on sight if you are beating on their door.' 

But that is just my opinion, and its not tied to any one group. I hang out with both the Kabanino fortified people, and the Novaya fortified people. 

Edited by Rover
Hate is a strong word.

8 minutes ago, arron88823 said:

I mean realistically if someone busted my door down with a hammer Id cap him.

Realistically I wouldn’t initiate to take your shit I’d just shoot you.

Realism has be sacrificed sometimes for the sake of RP quality. *shrug*

Just now, Rover said:

I actually hate hostilities personally. I don't engage in robberies, or actively seek out a firefight.

But I personally /hate/ when people take advantage of rules (or their absence) to grief large groups, which invariably are the ones trying to set up the fortified encampments. Knowing full well that you can't be killed unless initiated on, I've personally watched people ignore RP, dance around the outside of groups, start knocking on a fence, then run off the second someone starts to move towards them, getting out of range of voice for initiations. That to me is minimal amount of roleplay, I don't care how much IC 'sense' it makes. If someone tries to pull that argument of 'It makes sense for my character to be breaking in to their base, we don't like them' then the easy and obvious answer is 'It makes sense for their character to dome you on sight if you are beating on their door.' 

But that is just my opinion, and its not tied to any one group. I hang out with both the Kabanino fortified people, and the Novaya fortified people. 

I agree kinda. Honestly if people are doing what you described I would just shoot them to figure out who it is.

Either way it’s much more interesting to be taken hostage and roleplayed with if you’re caught beating on someone’s door.

The argument can go both ways tbh. I could pile gear in a little base in Gorka and then shoot anyone who tries to get in.

Yes, this rule should be a thing it boggles me when I asked this question on a staff question thread when @Zanaan stated here that the act of actively breaking into a base is not a clear indication that they wish to rob your shit? why else would someone spend 6 minutes hacking down a whole wall?

• 4.2 If you are attacked by other players and subjected to a hostile action you are allowed to defend yourself by gaining  DEFENSE RIGHTS on the attackers. Defense rights allow you to kill other players for 2 hours or until your character dies.  Defense rights can be shared with everyone that you recently role played with as well as all your group members, if you are a part of an approved group.

This, in my eyes like @OskuRP  said on that topic would and should fall under hostile actions since their intent is clear but only if they're actively hacking in and not already inside then you should have to initiate.

Edited by Eagle

Guest RyanOG
2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Yes, this rule should be a thing it boggles me when I asked this question on a staff question thread when @Zanaan stated here as the act of actively breaking into a base is not a clear indication that they wish to rob your shit? why else would someone spend 6 minutes hacking down a whole wall?

• 4.2 If you are attacked by other players and subjected to a hostile action you are allowed to defend yourself by gaining  DEFENSE RIGHTS on the attackers. Defense rights allow you to kill other players for 2 hours or until your character dies.  Defense rights can be shared with everyone that you recently role played with as well as all your group members, if you are a part of an approved group.

This, in my eyes like @OskuRP  said on that topic would and should fall under hostile actions since their intent is clear but only if they're actively hacking in and not already inside then you should have to initiate.

So that means we should already be aloud to blast em?

2 minutes ago, RyanPr said:

So that means we should already be aloud to blast em?

Nope cuz Rolland said you have to initiate.

Edited by Eagle

23 minutes ago, BanksRP 2 said:

The argument can go both ways tbh. I could pile gear in a little base in Gorka and then shoot anyone who tries to get in.

Very fair, that would be the other side of the coin I hadn't really been considering. That would probably border on the lines of ruleplay, but someone would need to prove that was your intent for it to really be counted that way.

28 minutes ago, BanksRP 2 said:

No, because obviously abusing the rule in your favor would mean a ban for baiting or ruleplay.

Edited by Eagle

5 minutes ago, Eagle said:

No, because obviously abusing the rule in your favor would mean a ban for baiting or ruleplay.

Agreed, but you would need to prove that was the intent. If there was a rule saying hitting bases gives kill rights, then it would be easy for someone that laid that trap to just say 'I was looting, come back to my base, saw him beating on it, so I shot him'. 

3 minutes ago, Rover said:

Agreed, but you would need to prove that was the intent. If there was a rule saying hitting bases gives kill rights, then it would be easy for someone that laid that trap to just say 'I was looting, come back to my base, saw him beating on it, so I shot him'. 

If someone goes through the effort of randomly hacking down walls they should expect their owners to shoot them.
If the base is only there to attract flies then like with any rule break he would get banned and the base forcefully removed by staff.

Edited by Eagle

No settlement rules. They only confuse everyone and make things worse. If someone is breaking down your wall you should just initiate. If someone is in your settlement and you don’t want them there, initiate. 

9 minutes ago, Wumbyyy said:

No settlement rules. They only confuse everyone and make things worse. If someone is breaking down your wall you should just initiate. If someone is in your settlement and you don’t want them there, initiate. 

This^^

I would want to just intimidate and scare the guy away from the base or initiate rather than measly killing him. Adds nothing to RP.

Sorry Ry-Ry, as much as I love you I'm going with Wumby on this.

Lemme just build this wall in the road, and when someone tries to remove it imma fuck'em.

I'd rather people initiate, given the time it takes to knock down a wall I am sure you can relocate and find a better position, and still get the drop on them before they even finish.

No settlement rules.

Last time we had them they somewhat made sense for why we needed and that shot was still abused beyond belief. It’s fine as is, just initiate on the people doing shit so we don’t have to put up with all the bullshit that came with said rules last time. 

4 hours ago, Mexi said:

No settlement rules.

Last time we had them they somewhat made sense for why we needed and that shot was still abused beyond belief. It’s fine as is, just initiate on the people doing shit so we don’t have to put up with all the bullshit that came with said rules last time. 

With all the stuff I have planned for settlement building, settlement rules will probably be needed in some capacity again.

My issue with not having kos rights on actual, legit bases people are trying to break in is being a lone trader for the most part if I approached some one trying to bust down my wall they prob would just turn around and shoot me if I said 'stop chopping my wall or I'll kill you' then continue breaking down my wall and loot all my shit. If you are good at pvp or have a group, you have that option of protecting your base by just approaching with rp. As a single woman with very few friends, I'm just screwed over? Realistically I'd just shoot them. Cause even if I left them alive and they ran off, they would come back. Which to me, is NVFL knowing the owner would shoot you but if I can't catch them doing it later cause you are offline how is that fair?

The issue is people breaking into bases while others are offline. And that you can't prove, you can't protect against and is a VERY big problem at the moment. I went offline just now for about 7 hours to sleep, come back and my walls are broken down, everything gone. If people could only damage walls of peoples property when they were online it would be different. Cause if they are not at their base, their loss. But when you are not online, sucks. No point in building a base. You could have literally NOTHING in your base and some one will still break your walls just for freaking material; and this happened to me when I first made a base. Its really obnoxious. I don't do that to others bases cause I'm not a douche, but it seems every one does it to me and Trent's base every night. I even have video footage of two doing it to Trent's settlement despite several people said they would be executed if caught doing it by who owns the settlement. I could report it but that doesn't fix the overall issue at hand of people just willy nilly busting down every ones walls, destroying loot on purpose; seen it done, and in general being ****s.

Guest RyanOG
5 hours ago, miss_natcula said:

My issue with not having kos rights on actual, legit bases people are trying to break in is being a lone trader for the most part if I approached some one trying to bust down my wall they prob would just turn around and shoot me if I said 'stop chopping my wall or I'll kill you' then continue breaking down my wall and loot all my shit. If you are good at pvp or have a group, you have that option of protecting your base by just approaching with rp. As a single woman with very few friends, I'm just screwed over? Realistically I'd just shoot them. Cause even if I left them alive and they ran off, they would come back. Which to me, is NVFL knowing the owner would shoot you but if I can't catch them doing it later cause you are offline how is that fair?

The issue is people breaking into bases while others are offline. And that you can't prove, you can't protect against and is a VERY big problem at the moment. I went offline just now for about 7 hours to sleep, come back and my walls are broken down, everything gone. If people could only damage walls of peoples property when they were online it would be different. Cause if they are not at their base, their loss. But when you are not online, sucks. No point in building a base. You could have literally NOTHING in your base and some one will still break your walls just for freaking material; and this happened to me when I first made a base. Its really obnoxious. I don't do that to others bases cause I'm not a douche, but it seems every one does it to me and Trent's base every night. I even have video footage of two doing it to Trent's settlement despite several people said they would be executed if caught doing it by who owns the settlement. I could report it but that doesn't fix the overall issue at hand of people just willy nilly busting down every ones walls, destroying loot on purpose; seen it done, and in general being ****s.

This

12 hours ago, miss_natcula said:

I third that.  Just happened again.  Offline robbers are basically trolls who do not wish to initiate a real RP situation of thievery.  People who have no patience for the loot gathering and wanna play their game RIGHT NOW at the expense of other people's game.  And then to hide behind a weak RP excuse of ''Hey, I'm a thief, thief come into your home when you are not there''.  Yeah.  Ok.  But in RL, I have means to protect myself against that.  And I ain't had no thief dismantle a third of my house's structure to get in.  Just like I can't play a crazy shooter lunatic who shoots on sight, you shouldn't be allowed to play an Offline Robber.  You see an empty, locked base?  You pass it up.  

And I do agree, catching someone dismantling your wall should be considered a punishable offense by KoS.  I can only dream of catching one of those in the act.

Edit : Sooo was about to start over for the 5th time in a week, and I told myself... why bother.  This is an awesome community, very nice people, but as long as there will be no rules on settlements, I can't see myself continue.  There is one thing i do not like about Dayz, and it's PVP.  I kept going on and off this game because everything is has to offer in terms of survival is incredible, but 95% of the time, it involved running away from gunfire or just eating a bullet from an unseen enemy and starting over.  I discovered in this community a place where I didn't have to fear the unseen bullet.  I really thought I'd have a shot at experimenting the game it was to it's fullest, and if oyou add the RP interactions, I told myself "Wow, this is the most awesome place ever!"  But after 116 hours of gameplay, I have had to start all over because of offline thieves or programmed wipe or whatnot 5 times.  I've carried barrels and metal sheets over this freaking map for so long.  I walked 55 minutes with a barrel the other night simply to bring it back over.  Once finally brought back, I go to sleep, only to wake up to a once more empty base.  I'm done.  Everyone finds their fun somewhere in this game.  Some like to just walk around as if listening to music amidst the infected hordes (that guy was funny ? ), some like to PVP, and some like to play with the basebuilding of the game which as so more to offer in this aspect.  For Pete's sake, even Aeryes is mentionning all the settlement things he's about to bring in, but the PVP has soooo taken over, it's not even funny.  Basebuilders are told : find your fun elsewhere.  Soooo the devs keep working on settlement items, but the rulebook practically says Screw you basebuilders.  It seems to me that there is a mixed message here.  I truly hope rules can be worked on to help the traders/settlers and try to instill some better RP in the PVPers who just can't wait to get a gun and go POW POW.  PVPers, I am not puting you all in the same basket.  I have met some very nice people from the let's call em Battle Groups.  I'm talking about the trolls who keep taking bases down when people aren'T home for fear of having to defend themselves.

Edited by Korbac

I agree with KOS when someone is inside of your base and/or is attempting to break in. Who on earth would walk inside of a base they KNOW is still functional cause they were ''just looking for food or water'', everyone with common sense know you can get yourself in HUGE trouble and even killed if you tresspass someone's property during a scenario such as the apocalypse.  

Other then that if you ''initiate'' and ''scare him off'' do you really think he wont come back and perform a second of third attempt to break into your settlement? 

Edited by MellowHype

Agreed but lets hope that even if KOS rights are granted to the owners they will still attempt RP even if they have the right. I saw some dude trying to break into the Commies camp yesterday and when they got on they yelled at him and later broke out into a large scale firefight. I'm glad they taked to they guy for a sec cause it was really the only RP from the attackers side.