Server time: 2017-10-21, 01:16
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Ghost of Gijs

G. Vanderbilt - Journals of an unqualified medic

//These journals aren't meant to be serious. They are meant to be mocking/sarcastic, so please don't take offence. It is just how G. Vanderbilt is.

I will write whenever I find the inspiration, whether this is on the forums or in-game. I will keep them short for the most part. Rather short and interesting than long and mediocre. Vanderbilt is a busy man. Maybe I will throw in a long journal every once in a while, but I am not good at writing real stories with real emotions. Let's pretend that Vanderbilt hides his emotions behind his sarcastic manners.

Short character biography

Name: G. Vanderbilt (first name not revealed)

Height: 190 cm

Weight: 72 kg

Hair: Black with bits of grey (in his beard)

Eyes: Green

Pre-Outbreak Profession: Columnist and satirist

Demeanor in Three Words: Sarcastic, pessimistic and melancholic

Journal #1 - 25/05/2013 15:30 - Free

Ironic, isn't it? The dead have risen, yet this place seems more lively than ever. You can't take one step before seeing the inside of a barrel. I once got one pushed in my face so close that I could smell the gunpowder. No doubt he just shot someone with it.

There you are, gun in your hands, no clue what to do with it. What was it called again? AK-1911? I don't care. Why am I even holding it...? So that people can rob it off me, I guess.

This one guy, he was just a rookie. His leg was badly hurt and you could see how he was trying to hide the limping. Probably didn't want to show his pain in front of his peers. When he came close, I whispered I could offer him help. He desperately needed blood. It was to no avail... He shouted some vitriolic remark at me (I couldn't understand it. Was it Chernarussian?) and then hit me with the butt of his rifle.

I'm not a frightened person. I just feel trapped. Like there's no escape. I'm not even sure if I want to escape anyway.

But now I'm free. A Free Medic. Yes, me, a medic. I even got an ID. I told the guy I wasn't exactly qualified. He replied that the qualifications have changed. Any help is better than no help at all.

Fear me, people of Chernarus, for I will infect you with my dirty needles.

Journal #2 - 27/05/2013 12:54 - Don't be afraid

"Don't be afraid" is probably the least reassuring thing you can say to anyone in this world. But, what do you know, he came anyway. Slowly and hesitatingly he poked his head around the corner. "A-a-are you friendly?", he asked in a stuttering voice. This made me chuckle. I told him no, I'm about to kill and rape you in no particular order.

He might not've shared my sense of humour.

All went well in my first day as a Free Medic.

Journal #3 - 14/06/2013 11:12 - I'm an idealist

Survival of the fittest always sounded wrong, sitting in the McDonalds and seeing these whales shove inside more calories than I've eaten all month. Maybe it has finally come true.

You either adapt or you die. And apparently the thick-skulled species can adapt itself very well. Christ, it's like two kids arguing who can use the swing at the playground. They talk about believes... like any of that matters anymore. Let us first deal with the main problem. Together.

Maybe I'm just an ideali... oh damn, turns out I do have political views. Fuck me.

((If you'd like to read the conversation I had with The Regmine and CLF, you can read it from here.))

Journal #4 - 14/06/2013 18:56 - The stove is hot, billy!

Tell a kid not to touch the stove and you'll have to bring him to the hospital. Tell an adult to sign an anti-aggression treaty and, well...

For some reason asking everyone to keep it pleasant results in the exact opposite. Chernarus is big, people. If you feel the need to off each other, there's plenty of room to do so.

Journal #5 - 15/06/2013 10:26 - Fuck off, I'm a Free Medic

Dear diary,

Today a bandit was mean to me. He told me to drop my backpack. I told him to fuck off.

Seems like I'm spending most of my time talking my way out of precarious situations these days. I wonder why I always end up with a bloody nose. Huh. Maybe I should be more clear. "Fuck off, I'm a Free Medic".

Yes! That might work.

*Blood starts trickling down on the paper. Vanderbilt tries to wipe it away, causing the whole paper to be smeared with a mixture of blood and ink.*

Well, this looks macabre...

Journal #6 - 15/06/2013 15:33 - Alfred the Canopy climber

What a pleasant morning that was. This guy, Andy... no, that's not right. Achmed? A-something. Wait.

Alfred!

This guy, Alfred, I had a little chat with him. Nice chap. From the Canopy family or something. Isn't that a tree?

He was very apologetic, to the point that I started wondering if maybe he'd touched me in my sleep. Apparently he did something when he was still a Free Medic. Anyway, I got a backpack from him, a lot bigger than my previous piece of crap knapsack. Now I have some place for my medical supplies besides my gun.

Oops. Did I just reveal my secret?

Journal #7 - 16/06/2013 16:00 - A sad day for Nigeria

You meet all sorts of people at Prud. Let's see, I wrote it down somewhere...

Ah, yes. Today I met a Nigerian prince and his guards.

I had a short conversation with one of the guards. He taught me how to gut and prepare a cow. "Am I doing this right?", I asked him while swinging my hatchet into the poor cow's brains. I looked at him questioningly with bits of cow brain in my face.

The guard then went on to impress me with his flirting skills. The lady clearly enjoyed it.

But all relationships must come to an end. This one did gory.

Rest in peace.

Journal #8 - 04/07/2013 10:25 - A "fun" day

Things have changed since I last wrote, but thank a omnipotent entity people are still as amiable as ever.

I got "asked" to hand over my backpack and revolver. I "politely" told them I didn't want to.

They then "suggested" to break my leg.

Left defeated, I decided to make my way down from the roof. When climbing down the ladder, I misstepped and got down quicker than I intended to.

Which is when I actually did break my leg.

Journal #9 - Date unknown

*In trembling handwriting...*

If you're reading this, I'm probably dead. Or maybe I just lost my notebook. Or maybe I trust you enough to let you read my innermost secrets.

Either way, I fucked up. The pain... It consumes me. It's everywhere. It's all I can think about. Day in, day o-*the paper is punctured by the pencil.*

Please, make it stop. PLEASE.

Please...

Gullio1    0

// This is cool. I loved the dirty needles line. Are you making more?

// This is cool. I loved the dirty needles line. Are you making more?

//Thanks! I don't know, I guess so. :P I wasn't really planning on making this a regular thing, but who knows. I can't say I didn't enjoy writing it.

I'm quite happy with that line myself. I think a good opening and ending sentence are the most important.

Kilsalot    0

You should definitely write more, that was brilliant. Oh, I fear your needles alright.

Thanks, Kilsalot and Jonesy!

I added the second part:

Journal #2 - 05/27/2013 12:54 - Don't be afraid (in the OP)

I try to go for short journals. Rather short and good than long and mediocre. These aren't exactly serious journals. They are meant to be mockingly/ironic/sarcastic or whatever the correct word is.

And not everything I described happened in-game. I will use it in my journal if something interesting happens in-game though.

Guest Alfie   
Guest Alfie

// Very good, keep them up.

From mercenary to Medic? Interesting.

//Never actually shot someone in-game, and G. Vanderbilt is a different character. :P Being a medic allows me to be less active. I'm not online that much.

Third part added (it took a while :P)

Journal #3 - 06/14/2013 11:12 - I'm an idealist (in the OP)

If you'd like to read the conversation I had with The Regmine and CLF, you can read it from here. It is still ongoing.

// Nice link there Gijs!! Great read :D

Reacher and I could trash talk as an Olympic sport ;)

//I know, I was deliberately fueling the discussion. :D I love these kind of conversations in the clan threads.

// Nice link there Gijs!! Great read :D

Reacher and I could trash talk as an Olympic sport ;)

//I know, I was deliberately fueling the discussion. :D I love these kind of conversations in the clan threads.

//Hehe aye it is is stimulating, also as a result:

cpwgfRr.jpg

We hit the top 3 most read yesterday because of it :3

Gijs write some more Journals and bigger ones!

I deliberately kept them short. I can write more journals, but bigger ones? I don't think I have the inspiration for that. :P I try to go for short and witty journals. Rather short and interesting than long and mediocre.

Maybe I can throw in a bigger one every once in a while. But I am not good at writing dramatic stuff with real emotions.

Guest Alfie   
Guest Alfie

I deliberately kept them short. I can writer more journals, but bigger ones? I don't think I have the inspiration for that. :P I try to go for short and witty journals. Rather short and interesting than long and mediocre.

Maybe I can throw in a bigger one every once in a while. But I am not good at writing dramatic stuff with real emotions.

These are realistic, if you're a free medic you're not sitting around all day. In times like those you don't have the time to write an essay of your day.

Very good, I enjoy these ^_^

Thanks, Alfie! I'm glad to hear people are enjoying it.

Added the fourth part in the OP: Journal #4 - 06/14/2013 18:56 - The stove is hot, billy!

A cookie for the person that guesses what it is about.

Proxzor    3

Thanks, Alfie! I'm glad to hear people are enjoying it.

Added the fourth part in the OP: Journal #4 - 06/14/2013 18:56 - The stove is hot, billy!

A cookie for the person that guesses what it is about.

Like its hard to guess lmao. Atleast make it a challenge /Slap @Gijs

Like its hard to guess lmao. Atleast make it a challenge /Slap @Gijs

You will get your cookie the next time I see you on IRC. Good job.

Fifth part done (in the OP): Journal #5 - 06/15/2013 10:26 - Fuck off, I'm a Free Medic

Onionjack    0

Nice journal, fun to read!

Are you wearing medic clothes btw? That might prevent robberies

Nice journal, fun to read!

Are you wearing medic clothes btw? That might prevent robberies

Thanks! :)

How Vanderbilt looks is important, and you can't change the head of the civilian medic skin. At the moment I prefer using the profiteer clothing found in-game. Maybe when more medic skins will be released.

Added a short character biography in the OP.

Good read. Too tired to analyse what was so good about it so that's all your getting.

Thanks! Whenever you have time, please give me an analysis. I'd love to hear it.

Sixth part done: Journal #6 - 06/15/2013 15:33 - Alfred the Canopy climber

Onionjack    0

Thanks! :)

How Vanderbilt looks is important, and you can't change the head of the civilian medic skin. At the moment I prefer using the profiteer clothing found in-game. Maybe when more medic skins will be released.

Added a short character biography in the OP.

Yea I know what you mean. I stopped using the medic skin too, I don't like how the head looks. I use hero clothes with the headset and cap personally. Besides people have used to see Osaka in it I heard.

Sign in to follow this