Server time (UTC): 2019-07-16, 19:19
Sign in to follow this  
Derek Steel

Way all the hate for hostile rp

We have to take into consideration that a lot of new people to the community seem to go down the bandit route first, which we all know is the quickest way to get banned, as they usually do it poorly and break some rules in the process. Another problem is, everyone on the server is on doing there own thing. Maybe they're doing something specific and when hostileRP comes along, it prolongs said thing or completely halts it, then they get mad because everyone sees themselves as the main character and this isn't what they wanted. Another thing I noticed, in an another discussion about 3rd person and 1st person, experienced members talked about how they wanted to keep 3rd person because they liked 'looking at there character' or 'admiring how my character looks', so even though the first advice people give about DayZ is, dont get attached to gear. They don't take it themselves. RP>PVP, GEAR>HostileRP

I think what people need to keep in mind is:  over the fun of big dicking towards other individuals you meet, over the blood thirst of beating someone up / torturing someone / killing someone, over the cool kids pvp challenge - as a hostile group your main goal is to entertain the person you are oocly/icly forcing to stay in a situation. If done well reputation is gained and people have fun - the ice is fucking thin though - if done poorly with a wrong focus it will leave a bitter taste to people involved.

The same counts for hostages. You are required to follow a lead oocly/icly in a situation in which a victim role is forced upon you. It is a challenge as well because many factors ( How does your individual character react to violence brought towards her/him? How do you role play certain emotions? What is the best way to express certain feelings while acting within the rules?) need to be kept in mind.

People need to stop being close-minded, thinking in "team-hostile" & "team-campfire" and start to put the focus on how they can actively give impulses/ input into a situation to create an enjoyable situation for both sides which then can be processed into story lines.

my 2 Černoruský Rubl.

Edited by Ron

@keibancz I have been reading this thread and I am sorry but I feel like a have to respond to you. I've been reading through the post on this thread and most of it is you saying hostileRP is repetitive and is boring, don't wanna sound rude or anything but how much hostileRP have you actually been apart of? Because I personally have initiated on you 3 times and every single time your computer randomly shut down cause it was bed time. And there is a lot of people like you they either log, flame in OOC, or give little to no RP because they are upset. You can blame all the problems on hostileRP you want but at the end of the day people like you that don't like to lose your gear play a big problem in the hostileRP at the moment. Also reading through your post on this thread it seems you want a perfect Chernarus with no hostilities, it wont happen this is a apocalypse . You are making assumptions that are completely false, like you say the goal of hostileRP groups is to complete a successful robbery rather than actually roleplaying, if that is your opinion that's fine but don't word it like it's a fact cause it's not and tbh you have no clue what you are talking about at all. It seems like you got the keys to a perfect roleplay experience, why not make a group yourself? 

I've had run-ins both IC and OOC with in my opinion, overly-hostile groups and thought I should pipe up.

I understand that PVP is fun, I understand it's an adrenaline rush but I also understand it makes you feel empowered. As @Brayces said, they typically like to prey on more passive RPers. Whether this is because they're easy prey or just because there's more of them, I don't know.
I believe the PVPers in this community are very 'clique-y'. I remember a shitstorm on the community discussion board recently that erupted because I was trying to make sense of the RP that was given. I tried reaching out to those involved for a more civilised discussion and got no response. That really spoke volumes to me about the types of some of the people who are a part of this community.
From my experience PVP orientated groups don't much like starting with other PVP oriented groups, and this all comes down to one thing.
Gear.
I understand that being known as a PVPer feels good, but it does mean putting a bit more work into the RP to actually pull it off properly. I found myself in a scenario last night with people dressed in blue that could have gone very wrong. They had obvious kill rights on one of us and decided not to take it which I admire from a seemingly hostile group.

I understand why people enjoy hostileRP. But it's only fair to take other people's preferences in RP into consideration. Running up, initiating, robbing and leaving is not good RP in my opinion.

Just my two-cents.

Reading through this thread was... actually really painful. The problem I have with this community is that it's split down the middle, neutral and hostile. It's always been that way, and it's human nature to want to take a side. It's obvious everyone does what they like, and when someone stops you from doing what you like, you get upset. 

Nobody is taking into account that everybody they run into is an actual person with thoughts, feelings, and their own preference for RP. No matter who you run into, it's always different; you might see someone who wants to have a group of people under them, or someone who wants everyone to be happy and peaceful, that's just facts. Everybody wants something different, and apparently, the replies in this thread fail to take that into account. 

Both sides of this argument raised solid points, bad hostileRP can ruin fun situations while not being around central hubs for RP doesn't expand the server at all. It's this split down the middle that is causing this community to fall apart. Nobody WANTS to admit that they are wrong, but you're never correct 100% of the time. In real life, you're gonna have people who want nothing more than to kill people, because there are no consequences for their actions. On the contrary, you'll also have people who want to help people, because they are genuinely good. In a way, this is the truest to real life I've ever seen DayzRP. 

I've been in this community for a while, and I've played every side imaginable. I've been a bandit, a campfire RPer, part of neutral groups etc. And they all think the same thing, that the other side is the problem. While, in reality, as many of you have said previously, this game is a two-way street, it's almost never as simple as blaming one group of people for all of the problems. One might be more guilty than the other, but this is a problem that is community-wide and should be addressed as such. Nobody is more at fault than anybody else, this is just life. People latch on to one side of the debate and refuse to let go, no matter what people say. 

But, at the end of the day, we should all just remember that this is a video game. Let's stop taking so seriously, and just try to be the best you can, and let everything else solve itself. There's nothing else we can do.

Edited by BreadERP

1 hour ago, InnKinn said:

I believe the PVPers in this community are very 'clique-y'.

no they arent but the few discussions i was part of was like trying to break a brick wall with a dead fish, there is no conclusion, everyone just gets a more negative opinion of each other and there's no use. your opinions are very subjective to a few bad apples that do not define the lot of us but as far as i know, the "old guard", the hostile roleplayers that have been here long enough, do not do it for gear. you might have heard it as a meme or a joke but rarely do i ever see someone like blitz or undead call to gang up on a dude just because he is geared. more often then not, we just dont like your ic attitude.

Edited by Melvin

2 hours ago, ScarRP said:

how much hostileRP have you actually been apart of?

My first group (Tuath De) was a purely hostileRP group.
I was also hostile RPing with Free Territory and House for a while.
I've also been on the receiving end of it from basically every hostile group on the server.

Because I personally have initiated on you 3 times and every single time your computer randomly shut down cause it was bed time.

That happened once because "it was bedtime" lol. Iirc the second time at the school I just ran off with the rest of the CPG since only Saviley got caught in the initiation. At Novodmitrovsk y'all came up to the big government building when we were all logging off for the night. I try and hold irl stuff over DayZRP but I'll stay up late if there's some good hostile RP I'm in the middle of. If I can't convince you how I actually feel about the topic, I dunno what to tell you man.

And there is a lot of people like you they either log, flame in OOC, or give little to no RP because they are upset. You can blame all the problems on hostileRP you want but at the end of the day people like you that don't like to lose your gear play a big problem in the hostileRP at the moment.

I really don't know what to tell you dude, you're a massive exception in that regard. We've already discussed this between each other; what do you want from me?

Also reading through your post on this thread it seems you want a perfect Chernarus with no hostilities, it wont happen this is a apocalypse .

I can't tell if this is a strawman or you're just completely misunderstanding my point.

You are making assumptions that are completely false

Back at you dude lol

It seems like you got the keys to a perfect roleplay experience, why not make a group yourself? 

Yeah I'm working on one atm actually. I don't think "making my own group" will solve the problem though.

You should read my posts again because I feel like you've completely misread a lot of it, a lot of which probably contributes to:

3 hours ago, ScarRP said:

I feel like a have to respond to you

To be quite honest we probably agree on a lot of points.

24 minutes ago, BreadERP said:

Reading through this thread was... actually really painful. The problem I have with this community is that it's split down the middle

Yeah from what I can see, lots of people seem to just polarize themselves with the PVP crowd and the "Campfire RP" crowd.

5 minutes ago, keibancz said:

My first group (Tuath De) was a purely hostileRP group.
I was also hostile RPing with Free Territory and House for a while.
I've also been on the receiving end of it from basically every hostile group on the server.

You've been here since end of October and should yourself give a little more time.

6 hours ago, Ron said:

my 2 Černoruský Rubl.

I love your hostile RP every time I run into y'all. +1

1 minute ago, Ron said:

You've been here since end of October and should yourself give a little more time.

I like to think that my opinion still matters despite having only been here for <200 hours. Playtime bigdicking is a problem, especially in threads like this. 

8 minutes ago, keibancz said:

I love your hostile RP every time I run into y'all. +1

I like to think that my opinion still matters despite having only been here for <200 hours. Playtime bigdicking is a problem, especially in threads like this. 

I'm not trying to say your opinion doesn't matter, pls don't get me wrong. I think it is great that you actively part in discussions. I skipped through the thread and thought I'd leave you a lil' advise regarding rp experience  - ofc it is your choice what you do with it. No need to big dick for me - I got the biggest one out of all my Bratri. *whips out 9 inch in chernarussian*.

/backontopic

Edited by Ron

If I may offer my err, opinion. As a person who's more or less been RPing for 13 years, I'd like to offer my view, if y'all don't mind. In my opinion, campfire roleplay is where the good stuff happens. It's where friends are made, and enemies created. It's where characters' morals and opinions are challenged or affirmed. HostileRP, or rather, combat in general, has a tendency to offer none of those things, unless hostages are taken. Even then, all they seem become is some rabid PvP-obsessed guy turning it into a power fantasy.  It's more the people who do it, than the act itself. There are some genuinely interesting people who do it, but in my experience thus far, it seems a large portion of that crowd are nothing but guys who want to just kill people, and are abusing the community's guidelines to do it. 

I will say this however. I'm not throwing shit at anyone who does do HostileRP, even the ones I have in mind who do the aformentioned. I'll just ask this, one RPer to countless others: 

Challenge yourself. HostileRP characters seem to be so....shallow for the most part. C'mon, you guys're all intelligent folks. You're full of potential! Build your characters up! Make 'em interesting! Don't just be cookie-cutters. You owe the people you take hostage that much if you're going to force them to do things.

Thanks guys, s'all I'll say. Figured I'd just add my 2 cents. Cheers boys, and Happy Holidays.

Hostile RP is a tool for creating great roleplay and great stories, however, while it is an excellent tool for stories and character development, it is an easily abused system.

Is Hostile RP abused?
Yes, by some to a degree, I would agree with that.

Should we outright get rid of Hostile RP or restrict it?
No, I think outright banishing or frowning upon it/restricting it is the wrong way to go about it, by doing that you will only make it harder for the ones that wish to provide a good experience using a Hostile RP Theme, and as I myself am a big fan of Hostile RP, I would find it to be a great loss.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if people truly are abusing a rule system to just fuck around and PvP for the fun of it, surely they would have already been removed by the staff team, and if they havent yet then they must be under careful observation.

The staff team, AFAIK is dedicated to enforcing a good standard of roleplay, and should people report bad offences as well as lackluster roleplay then they should dwindle.

It will never truly go away however, as bad apples are thrown out new will arrive.

A lot of people in this community use the server as an outlet to experience THEIR story. Hostile RP throws that out the window. Hence why people are upset. They need to remember DayZRP is about everyone’s story not just a single persons.

5 hours ago, Wbtrex said:

If I may offer my err, opinion. As a person who's more or less been RPing for 13 years, I'd like to offer my view, if y'all don't mind. In my opinion, campfire roleplay is where the good stuff happens. It's where friends are made, and enemies created. It's where characters' morals and opinions are challenged or affirmed. HostileRP, or rather, combat in general, has a tendency to offer none of those things, unless hostages are taken. Even then, all they seem become is some rabid PvP-obsessed guy turning it into a power fantasy.  It's more the people who do it, than the act itself. There are some genuinely interesting people who do it, but in my experience thus far, it seems a large portion of that crowd are nothing but guys who want to just kill people, and are abusing the community's guidelines to do it. 

I will say this however. I'm not throwing shit at anyone who does do HostileRP, even the ones I have in mind who do the aformentioned. I'll just ask this, one RPer to countless others: 

Challenge yourself. HostileRP characters seem to be so....shallow for the most part. C'mon, you guys're all intelligent folks. You're full of potential! Build your characters up! Make 'em interesting! Don't just be cookie-cutters. You owe the people you take hostage that much if you're going to force them to do things.

Thanks guys, s'all I'll say. Figured I'd just add my 2 cents. Cheers boys, and Happy Holidays.

In my time in DayZRP, I have never made an enemy during campfire RP. Infact my campfire experience has literally been sitting around talking about nothing and asking each other if people want to trade or need anything because they have so much gear. Campfire RP is fucking boring, unless half the server is hiding all the good campfire RP, I have yet to see anything that impresses. While I'm not saying hostile RP is the only thing that there should be, there needs to be a balance, you cannot have 24-7 action and shooting otherwise it leaves no room for the story. On the same note, you cannot have a 24-7 story because it offers nothing in way of looming threat. 

Imagine the server without hostileRP shall we? Where people can do and say anything, never die, make the same trips to the same loot spots over and over to replenish their ammunition they never fire at anything more then a zombie or two. The story goes on and on, you and everyone else just happily holding hands and talking about who's turn it it to go chop fire wood next as you lament over how terrible the world has become and how tough the times have become....while you sit there with a m4 with 6 mags, 500 rounds of ammo and a backpack full to the brim of food and water....oh poor you. It lacks any danger, the zombies are more of an annoyance and the wolves are annoying as well. Food and clean water are easy to come by and so are weapons and ammo. The only threat to players...is other players.

Now I'd say lets look at the server without campfire RP....but thats pretty much public servers....so no explanation really needed.

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

Imagine the server without hostileRP shall we?

You don't have to imagine, that was reality back in the summer of 2018 when hostileRP was essentially snuffed out by allowing people to opt out of getting initiated on. The server died, literally. After that, rules were reverted and Amnesty was instated.

1 minute ago, Cipher said:

You don't have to imagine, that was reality back in the summer of 2018 when hostileRP was essentially snuffed out by allowing people to opt out of getting initiated on. The server died, literally. After that, rules were reverted and Amnesty was instated.

I thank whatever God there is that I was not playing during that time.

5 minutes ago, Cipher said:

That really happened? ? What were the rules like wtf

6 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Did his really happen 

8 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Did his really happen 

8 minutes ago, Castiel said:

Obviously I was not around for this change @Spartan can you confirm

1 minute ago, Cipher said:

yes this happened.

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

yes this happened.

8 minutes ago, Cipher said:

24 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Yes this occurred. There were different categories for people, some people could be initiated on, some people had to have an IC reason to initiate, but there was a serious gray area there and as such what constituted a valid reason to initiate was shaky.

@GaryCash

21 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Did his really happen 

22 minutes ago, Castiel said:

All official mention of it has been wiped clean but if you dig hard enough: 

I really think the hostile rp problem has been blown out of proportion. Before the rule changes in August this server was basically dead and you had one hostile group that got shit on by everyone ooc. It devolved to the point where people legit went on a pub server to do their IC wedding so they wouldn't have to deal with the hostile rpers. 

What we have now is imo one of the best rulesets for all types of rp we've had in years. Sure there are still some problems like ghosting, people being too execution happy and people flip flopping between allies and enemies but that's manageable. I guarantee you that if we had more content in the game itself to occupy people's time you wouldn't have as many people being way too attached to their gear or people feeling that the only thing to do is rob anything that moves. 

1 hour ago, Cipher said:

All official mention of it has been wiped clean but if you dig hard enough: 

A dark time

Since ive started playing again a few months ago i have only had a single bad hostile RP experience, and that was with a group of new players that didnt understand the rules or just didnt care. Either way, I havent had any issues from groups such as The House or Saviors. And even with the Kamenci group that used to be around, I never really had issues with their RP.

There probably are a few people I havent met or really interacted with that are causing some issues, but I have not met them yet.