Server time (UTC): 2019-12-13, 06:35 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Require recording during hostile situations

Require recording  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, ExoticRP said:

Also @Roland what happens if the person from group A who is recording the situation gets shot at the start

That's why you have multiple people recording. Even if everyone who's recording dies, what matters is that you gave an effort to record and you shouldn't be punished

21 minutes ago, keibancz said:

it'd also reduce all the "I'm an edgy ex-navy seal who's a psychopathic murderer" characters.

Honestly will never happen. They never stop coming. Everyone has to start somewhere you know?

7 minutes ago, Finn said:

10+ gigs of videos

It's 2018. We have 10TB+ drives on the consumer market. The game itself requires quite a beefy PC to even run, this is not Minecraft. Your arguments are silly.

2 minutes ago, ExoticRP said:

Also @Roland what happens if the person from group A who is recording the situation gets shot at the start

Then the recording ends. But we at least get something, the footage of the initiation itself. Right now we get nothing because "video is corrupt", so it's already better.

1 minute ago, keibancz said:

That's why you have multiple people recording. Even if everyone who's recording dies, what matters is that you gave an effort to record and you shouldn't be punished

You can easily abuse what your saying, wouldn’t work.

6 minutes ago, keibancz said:

Thats when we run into the problem of the game being unstable. IMO this is a rabbit hole.

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

It's 2018. We have 10TB+ drives on the consumer market. The game itself requires quite a beefy PC to even run, this is not Minecraft. Your arguments are silly.

Nah man, with all the stuff I have installed I can’t be fucked to keep an extra 10-20 gigs of excess footage on hand Incase someone reports. I do a lot of editing work and that’s already a cluster fuck of folders titled “yeet skeet2” and hour long videos from random gameplay sessions on league. My drives can barely hold all this as it is

Edited by N-ToxRP

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Bruh, I'm not going to buy a harddrive for dayzRP ? 

And Kei this is DayZRP not the real world. If a recording initiator gets shot your source of evidence is gone a much more reliable source of evidence would be a LIVING complying hostage which makes up most of those who report.

Edited by Finn

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

GameMasters do that already, but only when they encounter rule breaks themselves while playing, or if they are reported to them by someone else. We don't have manpower to fly around the map and monitor everyone. We don't even have manpower to spectate a single group ? Especially since current version of staff tools do not include a map where we can see where the players actually are, that will be added in next version. Moderators cannot use staff tools in game, access to that is a large responsibility that shouldn't be gained after just getting promotion from support.

Oh okay, I hope new tools are implemented soon ^^

4 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

Thats when we run into the problem of the game being unstable. IMO this is a rabbit hole.

4 minutes ago, ScarRP said:

You can easily abuse what your saying, wouldn’t work.

Just now, Finn said:

If a recording initiator gets shot your source of evidence is gone

How is it a rabbit hole? It's pretty clear cut imo.

Record your initiations. If you die while recording, oh well, you won't get punished for not being a ghost and recording the rest. Plus, usually by the time people are getting shot, all of the important stuff has happened beforehand.

Edited by keibancz

Plus, usually by the time people are getting shot, all of the important stuff has happened beforehand.

? you must not know how initiations work. You start getting shot as soon as you say “put your ha-“

Plus, usually by the time people are getting shot, all of the important stuff has happened beforehand.

Not if one person kills you during the initation, most people die during the beginning

How is it a rabbit hole? It's pretty clear cut imo.

It’s a rabbit hole of problems, people concerned about privacy, people with already shitty computers, the games shitty optimization, abusing the rule, people recording getting killed... it goes on and on, kinda seems like it would cause more trouble than it’s worth honestly.

14 minutes ago, Finn said:

Bruh, I'm not going to buy a harddrive for dayzRP

That wasn't the point roland was trying to make. I agree with him; I don't think that "I don't have space in my hard drive for a 15 minute video" is an excuse not to record. Hell if you're really that strapped for space, maybe stream it on twitch and just save clips on there? I think a few people do that.

11 minutes ago, ScarRP said:

you must not know how initiations work. You start getting shot as soon as you say “put your ha-“

No, I know exactly how they work. Why does it matter whether you record what happens after bullets start flying?

10 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

It’s a rabbit hole of problems, people concerned about privacy, people with already shitty computers, the games shitty optimization, abusing the rule, people recording getting killed... it goes on and on, kinda seems like it would cause more trouble than it’s worth honestly.

Concerns about privacy are kinda silly. I think the admins should hold the quality of gameplay and reports over someone being upset that their OOC conversation was being heard.

The potato computer argument and shitty game argument are kinda silly too. If y'all think you can sacrifice performance for making PVP montages, I don't think requiring people to record 15min of gameplay in 480p for the sake of reports is invalid. Like I said, the rule is a hassle, so are many other things. Some sacrifices are worth making for the sake of the overall quality of the community.

I don't see how this rule could possibly be abused.

I already addressed the "issue" of the cameraman being killed.

Edited by keibancz

9 minutes ago, keibancz said:

The potato computer argument and shitty game argument are kinda silly too. If y'all think you can sacrifice performance for making PVP montages, I don't think requiring people to record 15min of gameplay in 480p for the sake of reports is invalid. Like I said, the rule is a hassle, so are many other things. Some sacrifices are worth making for the sake of the overall quality of the community.

Straight up, I PvP to win. I don’t PvP to freeze, unfreeze at 3fps and get sprayed down in a span of 15 seconds.

edit: that’s not saying I solely focus on pvp

9 minutes ago, keibancz said:

I don't see how this rule could possibly be abused.

Get two designated people to record, and send them in to die on purpose.

The problems span more than the benefits if you look at it as a whole.

Edited by N-ToxRP

2 minutes ago, keibancz said:

That wasn't the point roland was trying to make. I agree with him; I don't think that "I don't have space in my hard drive for a 15 minute video" is an excuse not to record.

The problem is about 20 15 minute videos per week. When people who report can save a single video for that single interaction they want to report.

if you stream it on twitch people will just metagame which is why I don't. If you committed a hostile action against someone you wouldn't want them to hunt you down using twitch.

6 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

Straight up, I PvP to win. I don’t PvP to freeze, unfreeze at 3fps and get sprayed down in a span of 15 seconds.

Well like I said, hopefully it will encourage more RP and less PVP. If you really want PVP, you could go play on those deathmatch servers.
Edit:
Also there's also an argument regarding the discouragement of hostileRP in general I'll address in advance:
Yes, initiating on someone gives them kill rights, but if they just blast you after you initiate and your game freezes up, that's just ruleplay on the victim's part, after which you should report them using that recording of yours.

6 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

The problems span more than the benefits

I disagree. I think the benefits outweigh the possible issues. In the end it's for the admins to decide though.

5 minutes ago, Finn said:

The problem is about 20 15 minute videos per week.

I've already addressed this issue but I'll repeat myself again:

The rule should probably only require you to hold on to recordings for a day or so since that's usually the timeframe in which reports go up. I can't imagine a low-res recording of your hostile RP for the past day or two would take up too much space.

Edited by keibancz

3 minutes ago, keibancz said:

Well like I said, hopefully it will encourage more RP and less PVP. If you really want PVP, you could go play on those deathmatch servers.

Tbh lag doesn't encourage me to play, it encourages me to quit the game and do something else. 

People seem to think that initiations = PVP, when in reality it means hostileRP which is just as important as any other RP. Just because you lose your gear doesn't mean it's not role play.

Edited by Finn

I don’t want solely want PvP. I enjoy rp more than a lot of people. But when PvP breaks out, I don’t enjoy losing because of something I can’t control. 

4 minutes ago, keibancz said:

I disagree. I think the benefits outweigh the possible issues. In the end it's for the admins to decide though.

True true. I’m glad the staff value our opinions with threads like this ❤️ 

1 minute ago, Finn said:

Tbh lag doesn't encourage me to play, it encourages me to quit the game and do something else. 

If reduced PVP on an RP server discourages you to play, so be it.

1 minute ago, Finn said:

People seem to think that initiations = PVP,

I don't. This is a strawman. There is definitely a strong connection between the two, however.

2 minutes ago, Finn said:

hostileRP which is just as important as any other RP

I never suggested otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Finn said:

People seem to think that initiations = PVP, when in reality it means hostileRP which is just as important as any other RP. Just because you lose your gear doesn't mean it's not role play.

Thank you.

I'm not opposed to the idea, coming from 3k hours+ on ARMA 3 Life majority of the time if you were reporting someone or were being reported you had to have some form of video evidence, I don't have the greatest PC in the world but I am still capable of recording all my gameplay while not taking a massive hit to my performance, I have not seen how majority of these reports come about or how they play out but I feel it should be common sense that SOMEONE needs to be recording when a hostile situation goes down, it'll prevent unnecessary reports as well as make the GMs life so much easier if there is footage from both sides of a situation.

11 minutes ago, Finn said:

Exactly. Initiations never mean PvP. It becomes PvP when people don’t comply. But that’s getting off topic.

Edited by N-ToxRP

Just now, N-ToxRP said:

But when PvP breaks out, I don’t enjoy losing because of something I can’t control. 

Yeah, which is a shame. Although I don't think that should be a reason why such a rule shouldn't be implemented. You could then argue the same thing for plenty of other rules "because they affect PVP", which is a bad precedent to set.

Yeah, which is a shame. Although I don't think that should be a reason why such a rule shouldn't be implemented. You could then argue the same thing for plenty of other rules "because they affect PVP", which is a bad precedent to set.

For all other rules it does not affect performance or fair play. This on the other hand does. This directly affects the fairness of gameplay unlike rules such as mis id and other things

Edited by N-ToxRP

1 minute ago, N-ToxRP said:

For all other rules it does not affect performance or fair play. This on the other hand does. This directly affects the fairness of gameplay unlike rules such as mis id and other things

I was more referring to possible future additions to rules. Not saying that there aren't any arguments against this rule, but if this one is shut down "for PVP", it sets a bad precedent. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think RP quality and reports should be prioritized over PVP. I believe the benefits of requiring initiators to record outweigh the possible issue of FPS drops for PVPers. 

Plus, don't you already record your PVP gameplay? iirc I've seen a bunch of videos of the garcias the forums. I can see why you'd argue for some select others, but if you can record when you're with them I don't think it'd be a problem. The "what if the cameraman isn't here" argument isn't that valid imo, especially since y'all tend to PVP in big groups from what I've seen and many of you seem to be recording. The only time I could see this being a problem is with smaller hostile RP groups, but if someone isn't there with a PC that can record, I doubt they feel confident in initiating on people in the first place.

5 minutes ago, keibancz said:

I was more referring to possible future additions to rules. Not saying that there aren't any arguments against this rule, but if this one is shut down "for PVP", it sets a bad precedent. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think RP quality and reports should be prioritized over PVP. I believe the benefits of requiring initiators to record outweigh the possible issue of FPS drops for PVPers. 

Plus, don't you already record your PVP gameplay? iirc I've seen a bunch of videos of the garcias the forums. I can see why you'd argue for some select others, but if you can record when you're with them I don't think it'd be a problem. The "what if the cameraman isn't here" argument isn't that valid imo, especially since y'all tend to PVP in big groups from what I've seen and many of you seem to be recording. The only time I could see this being a problem is with smaller hostile RP groups, but if someone isn't there with a PC that can record, I doubt they feel confident in initiating on people in the first place.

I record every so often, but I definitely couldn’t, and don’t, record all the time. Idk about everyone else, but for the most part it effects a lot of people’s performance greatly. So I don’t record anymore. The cameraman argument is quite valid in my eyes because obviously this rule isn’t being aimed at the RP boys. I’m not thinking about just our crew I’m taking into account everyone on the server, and it seems the majority have FPS issues normally, so recording atm just isn’t worth it.

Hate to say it btw, as I am 100% against the idea,  but there is such thing as nvidia Shadow Mode... which allows you to passively record the last 3 minutes of gameplay at all times, without using up space on your hard drive... 

E.g: Have shadow play on all the time, no space is lost on my hard drive, my boy david initiates, I press a button and it will instantly record the last 3 minutes + the initiation.