Server time (UTC): 2019-12-15, 06:29 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Require recording during hostile situations

Require recording  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, BanksRP said:

thanks for reminding me

Yeah sorry had to bully you real quick

5 minutes ago, Major said:

There is also the lesser issue of disk space

Very much this. I have like 30 games installed at one time and it’s hard to record

Just now, lukaszxe said:

I'm referring to the old rules that limited the hostile roleplay in the past. It's a good suggestion sure but I just don't like to force the initiators to record. Since if I say I'm recording an initiation and then that file would get corrupted or I forget to hit record I would be hit with a punishment in a report.

Very understandable, I have never once had a file been corrupted just using Shadowplay in my years playing DayZ but you never know.  I just think that if you have enough responsibility to go throw initiations as an official group, you might as well take it upon urself to record as well. In the long run, I think that this would limit Hostile RP, but I think that there can be some good in that. People won't do silly gear robberies and instead maybe try to get some of that sweet RP in it as well, maybe it could keep us on alert to never let robberies turn into a few stale minutes of inventory-searching? 

i also think that if people can record sick frag montages then they can record initiations aswell, surely not that much of a hassle..

5 minutes ago, OxeN said:

i also think that if people can record sick frag montages then they can record initiations aswell, surely not that much of a hassle..

They take quite a while to put together, and lately frame rate has been even worse than normal.

1 hour ago, JimRP said:

No, not everyone can record or be arsed to and we shouldn't force people to record. That's kind of forced invasion of privacy, I'm against it. 

And what's the chances of one person in a group not being able to record? pretty slim imo and how is it invasion of privacy?

As much as I would love for this to be put in place, it will simply not work. We cannot force people to record. Some peoples PC/Laptops cannot handle recording and playing a game. It will just lag and crash. I've seen lag in game, it can ruin roleplay for the person. *Puts on Simon Cowell Voice* It's a No from me.

Plz don't do this I have a potato with only 200gb of disk space. I can't afford to record.

Just now, Prince said:

Plz don't do this I have a potato with only 200gb of disk space. I can't afford to record.

haha fair enough, guys lets start a fundraiser so he can record! ?

4 minutes ago, Dom said:

And what's the chances of one person in a group not being able to record? pretty slim imo and how is it invasion of privacy?

irl conversations in the background. My mother frequently comes downstairs to do laundry and talks with me

Tbh recording isn't that hard to do unless you're on a potato but even so have the guy who doesn't play on a potato record. Personally, I think that'd it make reports 10 times easier and I've got nothing against needing video evidence to report, but at the same time I don't think the entire group should be punished for not having video that's just overkill and in a sense double dip.

If you have nothing to hide and haven't broken any rules than there's no issues giving in a recording. Plus if there's 30 minutes of rp prior to the situation that has no involvement whatsoever in a report that was put up,  you snip it. No need to post 2 hours of recording for a 15 minute situation; as far as I'm concerned there's no invasion of privacy to record a hostile situation in a role play server unless you're literally announcing your credit card information on repeat.

1 hour ago, A Reformed BorisRP said:

it drops frames

I record on my old-ass PC with 8gb of ram and a gpu from 2010. I play DayZ at max (near max, I think I turned down some stuff like motion blur and such) and get a stable 1080p 60+ fps.
I use Shadowplay and OBS (I prefer shadowplay cuz it's handier). Saying "recording is demanding of my PC" shouldn't be an excuse unless your computer is so bad or poorly optimized that you probably shouldn't be hostile-RPing anyway.

I think recording should be mandatory for hostile RP; +1 Roland, I think it's a good idea. Maybe make everyone in a group of Hostile RP-ers accountable for recording, so individuals all have  an incentive to record their own POV and submit it to avoid punishment. I dunno what the punishment would be though. Maybe some sort of warning or something?

1 hour ago, JimRP said:

That's why video evidence is kind of a paradox.

I think that if you're going around Hostile-RPing, the burden of recording a situation you're forcing someone into isn't unreasonable. Obviously the burden of proof in reports is on the accuser, but it should also be the responsibility of hostileRPers to record their situations. Whenever I hostileRP or am involved in hostileRP, I hit the record button beforehand/asap. Think of it like a bodycam or dashcam, it can only help you in defending your case (assuming you've done nothing wrong).

Muh "I always have video evidence until I get reported for something I did wrong"

Maybe if you don't want to record your gameplay outside of PVP montages, consider changing up your hostileRP so you don't get reported? I feel like I always see the same people reported and some hostileRPers are never reported.

@Roland+1 Yes Please

Edited by keibancz

3 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

irl conversations in the background. My mother frequently comes downstairs to do laundry and talks with me

If it contains sensitive information, you can PM it to a GM/Admin and it stays only between us.

As someone who is a part of a hostile group and plays on a laptop that probably isnt even techically capable of recording, I strongly disagree with this idea. As mentioned it is the responsibility of the accusor to prove that a rule is broken. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. If one person from the initiating group needs to be recording and it doesnt need to be the one dropping the initiation the video evidence could just be someone sitting in a double-red looking at a wall and the video would be useless. The main thing in my opinion is that this rule would just get too complicated and hard to enforce and it would damage the quality of RP when people have to be thinking about who is recording and initiating at all times. Sure, it would make reports easier to deal with but I  dont want to get into an immersion breaking situation where I need to call someone else from the group over to drop an initiation on someone who insults me etc. just because I have to have someone capable of recording do it. If this rule would be implemented initiations couldnt happen organically anymore. 

As someone who does not initiate ever, and is not into PvP at all in dayz - wholeheartedly yes. You wanna start some shit? You should be  responsible for recording  just in case things go south.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by Nikolai B.

I would support the need to have video evidence to post a report on someone.

It's pretty crystal clear when someone is about to initiate on you. "What the fuck did you just say to me"?. *Gets surrounded by 3 + men.*

All these reports with no evidence mostly waste time.

What if the person recording crashes due to DayZ being shite, or that person dies during the RPencounter? I can honestly see this benig abused, theres a split between different people who are interested in different styles of RP,  I can see people abusing this and getting the so called BadGuys of the community banned.

Just now, keibancz said:

I record on my old-ass PC with 8gb of ram and a GTX660. I play DayZ at max (near max, I think I turned down some stuff like motion blur and such) and get a stable 1080p 60+ fps.
I use Shadowplay and OBS (I prefer shadowplay cuz it's handier). Saying "recording is demanding of my PC" shouldn't be an excuse unless your computer is so bad or poorly optimized that you probably shouldn't be hostile-RPing anyway.

I think recording should be mandatory for hostile RP; +1 Roland, I think it's a good idea. Maybe make everyone in a group of Hostile RP-ers accountable for recording, so individuals all have  an incentive to record their own POV and submit it to avoid punishment. I dunno what the punishment would be though. Maybe some sort of warning or something?

I think that if you're going around Hostile-RPing, the burden of recording a situation you're forcing someone into isn't unreasonable. Obviously the burden of proof in reports is on the accuser, but it should also be the responsibility of hostileRPers to record their situations. Whenever I hostileRP or am involved in hostileRP, I hit the record button beforehand/asap. Think of it like a bodycam or dashcam, it can only help you in defending your case (assuming you've done nothing wrong).

Muh "I always have video evidence until I get reported for something I did wrong"

Maybe if you don't want to record your gameplay outside of PVP montages, consider changing up your hostileRP so you don't get reported? I feel like I always see the same people reported and some hostileRPers are never reported.

@Roland+1 Yes Please

I disagree with basically everything here, while some of it is a good point. Discouraging hostile RP will kill the server again. Just because your PC can handle it, does not mean others can. Recording or streaming at anywhere near a high quality for me causes FPS drops and freezing, and I run a gtx 960 , 16 gb ram, i5 processor, and two hard drives split up almost half and half of 1.5 tb. I have my settings all the way down and these issues still persist. It’s an issue with the game not the hardware.

5 minutes ago, Sleepyhead said:

If it contains sensitive information, you can PM it to a GM/Admin and it stays only between us.

Yeah I know, I’d still much rather not be forced to expose stuff like that to anyone if possible

1 minute ago, JoffreyRP said:

I would support the need to have video evidence to post a report on someone.

I feel like putting the burden of recording (not reporting) on the victim of hostile RP is wrong. Sometimes hostile RP comes out of nowhere too. 

But rolle? If I have to record everytime I initiate how will I be able to hide the fact I don't want to RP and just REALLY liked the guy's beanie hat!?! ? THIS IS OPPRESSION SIR!

But seriously, the phrase "Innocent until proven guilty" comes to mind with this suggestion. Should you SUGGEST people record when doing hositle RP, just for their own self security... sure... 

But forcing em to record seems very odd to me, orwellian even... ? 

5 minutes ago, Nikolai B. said:

As someone who does not initiate ever, and is not into PvP at all in dayz - wholeheartedly yes. You wanna start some shit? You should be  responsible for recording  just in case things go south.

Makes sense to me.

Not to be rude, but you should try hostile RP and or PvP and see how it is before agreeing with stuff like this, it really gives you a good perspective of things once you have experienced both sides of rp.

14 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

irl conversations in the background.

PTT

Just now, N-ToxRP said:

you should try hostile RP and or PvP and see how it is before agreeing with stuff like this,

I've done a fair amount of it and I completely agree with @Nikolai B.

Just now, keibancz said:

PTT

Im not going to put a PTT on my recording software, it makes audio shitty when I accidentally cut it off too early. It’s also much easier to edit out background fuzz when it’s sampled over long periods of time. (not meaning I edit report evidence but if I decided to make a video or something)

2 minutes ago, N-ToxRP said:

Not to be rude, but you should try hostile RP and or PvP and see how it is before agreeing with stuff like this, it really gives you a good perspective of things once you have experienced both sides of rp.

My opinion of it is not unfounded, i have been there, done that. I get my PvP in other games and come here to RP. Thus, this suggestion is in line with my interests.

Just now, Nikolai B. said:

My opinion of it is not unfounded, i have been there, done that. I get my PvP in other games and come here to RP. Thus, this suggestion is in line with my interests.

Fair enough. I don’t agree but I can see where you’re coming from with that. I like to have different games for different moods.