Server time (UTC): 2019-12-09, 03:44 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Roland

Require recording during hostile situations

Require recording  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So recordings make it much easier for GM team to solve reports. Reports are usually created for hostile situations.

I suggest that we require at least 1 person from the official group that initiates hostilities against other players to be recording the situation. That way there's always at least one video PoV of the situation from attacker side (the side that is usually the accused) that can be provided in a report and we don't get Word vs Word stalemates. Failure to provide said recording would put report in favor of the defending party.

With current hardware and software technologies this should be no difficult task. I realize that many people still play on potatoes, but I think out of 5 people (minimum size for a group) at least one can be expected to have a decent enough PC to record.

TL;DR: Official groups that initiate on others should have at least 1 person recording the situation and be able to provide said recording in a report created within 24h.

Let me know what you think?

It'd be difficult to enforce this I feel. I usually record all encounters but sometimes my recordings corrupt or I forget to clip things.

If someone records their encounters and get reported/need to report, it benefits their own case. There isn't much more incentive we can add.

I can see this going either way. However, the argument will probably always be "Well I thought they were recording!"

I hate to say it, but a lot of people have shadowplay & plays.tv. They record, they just "don't have any video evidence". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I know you mention "it'll be in the defending parties favor" but to what extent? We simply believe their word over the accused?

What stops me from creating a report KNOWING why I was killed, then reporting and the accused doesn't have evidence?

1 minute ago, JimRP said:

everyone

everyone =/= 1 person

everyone cant record

it drops frames

no no no no

If this game was stable, and I could get a smooth frame rate while recording I might +1. But this might also lead to incorrect verdicts because someone’s recording didn’t work or corrupted. So just because of the annoyance it might become if you thought you were recording but weren’t, -1

Just now, Stannis said:

It'd be difficult to enforce this I feel. I usually record all encounters but sometimes my recordings corrupt or I forget to clip things.

If someone records their encounters and get reported/need to report, it benefits their own case. There isn't much more incentive we can add.

This also, it will be hard internally in groups to have to assign someone to record and someone could forget and this addition would give people another reason to not play on the server, having to assign a person to record situations.

Not everyone can record, sure would suck to have a clear salt report go in the way of the defending party because of a corrupted recording.

I don't like this one chief

1 minute ago, Roland said:

everyone =/= 1 person

Still, what if we do if a group has no recording of a situation or there is a miscommunication on who's supposed to record? Punish all the people involved? What if someone's PC breaks/crashes and loses the recording, do we punish all 15 people?

Just now, Sleepyhead said:

They record, they just "don't have any video evidence"

Low key shade? Jk but yeah that could go either way tbh. I’d rather not gamble on whether or not shadow play was recording my desktop or DayZ.

For those of you that don't know,

If you have a Nvida GPU you can get shadowplay and it has like no performance impact. You can record I think it's 30Mins of previous stuff? So like, it's more of a clipper. So say if you hit a mad one tap on siege you could cntl+z and save the clip. So it's always recording but you have to choose when to save the past 5/30mins 

Just sayin'. 

I always clip by default and wait like a week until I delete the footage.

Edited by Beni

Actually, you know what. In order to track things better, why don't we force people to text RP instead when hostilities encounter? That we can track easier, no one has to record and we have logs of it. Seems like a better solution to me.

2 minutes ago, Sleepyhead said:

They record, they just "don't have any video evidence". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It's the standard

3737bbe3a9fbe632f193592dc3a1f600.png

Just now, JimRP said:

Still, what if we do if a group has no recording of a situation? Punish all the people involved? What if someone's PC breaks/crashes and loses the recording, do we punish all 15 people?

Yep, that's the point behind the suggestion, to prevent "I don't have a recording" and then we see that someone indeed does. I believe that if you're in the same group, you ride together, you share the kill/def rights and also should share the responsibility if one of your members fucks up.

4 minutes ago, Sleepyhead said:

"don't have any video evidence"

28fdca91c5c1ca57f377f507aea4b225.png

this shit corrupts all the time man ?

how am i supposed to make my epic roleplay montage, let alone record all hostile encounters

I record on shadow play and I play a few hours everyday, it's such a hassle to dedicate more preformance based applications in order to record, edit and upload for evidence. Please do not make this a requirement 

I know of ways to stream gameplay to VODs via YouTube and Twitch as well, without making it public. No corruption as the recordings are housed off the local machine. 

3 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yep, that's the point behind the suggestion, to prevent "I don't have a recording" and then we see that someone indeed does. I believe that if you're in the same group, you ride together, you share the kill/def rights and also should share the responsibility if one of your members fucks up.

No, this can go wrong real bad, real quick. Either remove the point system completely so we have an admin record instead and decide on perms that way or else with this rule people will rack up points because of miscommunication, hardware failures etc (aka other people's fuckups) and get perm'd out of the community quickly. Just let it be as it is, it works. Plus sorry but I don't want to have to worry if someone is recording every time I get into a hostile situation.

1 minute ago, Beni said:

For those of you that don't know,

If you have a Nvida GPU you can get shadowplay and it has like no performance impact. You can record I think it's 30Mins of previous stuff? So like, it's more of a clipper. So say if you hit a mad one tap on siege you could cntl+z and save the clip. So it's always recording but you have to choose when to save the past 5/30mins 

Just sayin'. 

I use that, but sometimes recordings get fucked for no apparent reason. This is a big Nono for me. I always try to record initiations/fights when I play on my decent PC, but a good 20% of the time shadowplay takes a shit and the file gets corrupted. Not willing to risk getting banned because of bad recording software.

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

should share the responsibility if one of your members fucks up.

Isn’t that a war crime? Collective punishment? 

Jokes aside for the second time I really wouldn’t dig that. Don’t punish the innocent if someone messes up man. Not groovy.

1 minute ago, Brayces said:

I know of ways to stream gameplay to VODs via YouTube and Twitch as well, without making it public. No corruption as the recordings are housed off the local machine. 

That would also use bandwidth, which is hard to spare for a lot of people.

7 minutes ago, Roland said:

Oh hell no, I'm on final warning, why should I get perm'd 'cause of one of my group mates' fuck up?

EDIT: @Roland Why instead we don't add to a section of the rules that we "strongly encourage everyone to have shadowplay or some other recording software active when playing". That would encourage new players to do that if you ask me.

Edited by Mak

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

And one more question, what if the one person in the group that can record is offline and wants to initiate, what do you do then? Just not initiate because the person is off?

1 minute ago, Roman said:

Isn't it the accuser who needs to have evidence supporting his claims?

I would support this instead, that the accuser needs to have video evidence of the situation before posting a report but again it's a paradox due to hardware requirements, or miscommunications. That's why video evidence is kind of a paradox.