Server time: 2017-08-24, 08:56

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grumby

Is 5 seconds enough time?

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

Today i was logging into the eastern hospital in Cherno and heard a guy shouting "Help, I'm friendly!" Trying to be a nice guy I replied "Where are you? Come into the hospital!"

Then a guy with a horrible accent (maybe Scottish, I don't know, at least he was trying) ran behind the tree in front of the hospital glass and leaned to the right. "Drop your gun mate, you have 5 seconds mate!"

The first guy was bait. So while trying to figure out what was going on and what he was saying, he counted down from 5 really quickly. It was about 3 seconds. I just about opened up my gear and BAM, face full of bulltes.

If you are robbing someone don't you think they should have at least 10 second. Is 5 seconds too short?

Gina    26

Most of the times these wannabe bandits are just trying to avoid anykind of RP, and by giving you as short as possible time to comply they "win".

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

Yeah, he knew I had no chance. No cover, no idea what's going on and outnumbered.

Ten seconds is the minimum compliance time. If they shot you after less than that, it's a KOS unless you did something to provoke an attack, like aiming at them or attempting to run.

Nikolai B.    0

Also, take into account that sometimes lags occur, and the messages comes through a little later than when you sent it / said it for the other party.

It's hardly notable on a minute scale, but when you tell a guy 5 seconds, and he hears you 2 seconds late, that leaves him 3 seconds which is unreasonable.

No one can predict lags, and no one can predict when he is facing someone with ping 500.

Reacher    0

We do try to encourage more leniancy when it comes to 'countdowns to shooting', for as mentioned some of the time lag and other factors play into initiations not being received at that exact moment, etc.

For example:

Very early on I was involved in a robbery. I was told to drop my gear or be shot in five seconds. I didn't get the message via text for another four, and was immediately killed as soon as it appeared on my screen.

As you can imagine, I was a little annoyed.

Guest Kilgore   
Guest Kilgore

There has been lots of KoS and banditry this week.

Soren    0

Well, 5 seconds is indeed to short. The bandit don't want you to comply, they would much rather have you die, so they can get ALL your gear, and not just the stuff you drop. (You could technically be hiding some NVG's on you)

But I do agree, 5 seconds is very short. Though if you get robbed, start talkin to them, let them know that you are complying by saying "Allright, I will drop my weapon now" that will usually make him stop counting, and start waiting. If it takes you too long, which is shouldn't if you're actually intending to comply, then he will warn you again, and maybe start counting again.

Speaking to people gives you ton of time :)

Major Tom    78

People are looking for kills, that's it. Most of the time 12 years old kids with annoying voices tell you to drop everything within 5 or maybe even 3 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu9IL38F4zs Those people should be banned for ever.

Yeah, that video annoys me. The fact that they basically say "drop everything, 3 2 1" really fast then shoot the guy, calling him a "fucking nobhead" is ridiculous. Talk about OOC insults, eh? Surprised they made it on to the server, but if the admins think they're mature enough then what do I know? I'm sure they'll improve by making mistakes first.

Jayplay95    0

People are looking for kills, that's it. Most of the time 12 years old kids with annoying voices tell you to drop everything within 5 or maybe even 3 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu9IL38F4zs Those people should be banned for ever.

Yeah, that video annoys me. The fact that they basically say "drop everything, 3 2 1" really fast then shoot the guy, calling him a "fucking nobhead" is ridiculous. Talk about OOC insults, eh? Surprised they made it on to the server, but if the admins think they're mature enough then what do I know? I'm sure they'll improve by making mistakes first.

So really, to be honest I would make a 16+ or 18+ community since DayZ isn't a game for kids anyway. I got robbed five times now and 4 of 5 was a squeaky voice yelling "Drop your gun or I'll shoot, 3,2,1"

Reacher    0

The 'default countdown' should be 5 seconds to begin with, so they're not even doing it correctly, regardless...

Jonesy    0

I normally give between 5/10 seconds, but as soon as I see them enter thier gear - I stop counting. Sounds like this guy was just hungry for your blood.

BobitoZ    0

The guy was looking for kills, nothing more. That type of behavior will eventually get the person permabanned. It's happened the same way over and over.

Caeldon    1

I believe 5 seconds is way to short; I would open with like "This is a Robbery, you have 10 seconds to drop your gun and your backpack any sudden movements will get you killed"

Jayplay95    0

The guy was looking for kills, nothing more. That type of behavior will eventually get the person permabanned. It's happened the same way over and over.

These people actually opened [sIS] clan right now so their probably not banned yet ^^

BobitoZ    0

These people actually opened [sIS] clan right now so their probably not banned yet ^^

So what is the RP in an "intelligence" service robing people in less than 5 sec? Just missed opportunities. Could of gone differently in so many ways.

Tomeran    3

Most established bandit clans usually rob people in situations that are fairly secure to them, and thus give their victims good time to respond unless the victim does something hostile, like trying to run away or turn around with gun raised.

These "3-2-1-urdeadlol"-kills are usually the work of new players or individual bandits that either dont have the experience, the numbers or the brains to face their victim in a secure situation. And it'll end up getting them banned, usually quite quickly.

Daniel    2

Ten seconds is the minimum compliance time. If they shot you after less than that, it's a KOS unless you did something to provoke an attack, like aiming at them or attempting to run.

Is that an unwritten law because since i am on the server it was always 5 seconds. I personally tell them to drop their stuff in 5 seconds. I think 5 seconds is fine. The victims dont have to drop everything within 5 seconds but i personally see what the victims attitude is within 5 seconds. If starts dropping something or lowering his weapon within 5 seconds i give him even more seconds. If the victim doesnt do that i shoot.

So is 10 seconds an unwritten law?

sorry for repeating 5 seconds and victim so often haha :D

hahahahahahah omg awesome video :D WHich movie is that? :D

ApexCrisis    0

Depends on the situation IMO. If you tell someone in the middle of the woods, he's got no backup etc. then 10 seconds is minimum. If you just finished shooting in a firefight and someone comes up, then I'd say 5 seconds because he can be a threat and is trying to hold you up.

Is that an unwritten law because since i am on the server it was always 5 seconds. I personally tell them to drop their stuff in 5 seconds. I think 5 seconds is fine. The victims dont have to drop everything within 5 seconds but i personally see what the victims attitude is within 5 seconds. If starts dropping something or lowering his weapon within 5 seconds i give him even more seconds. If the victim doesnt do that i shoot.

So is 10 seconds an unwritten law?

sorry for repeating 5 seconds and victim so often haha :D

Robocop, the actual count down is 20 seconds but I cut it for the sake of this thread, if you've never seen you, it is a must, gory as fuck but an awesome film, Robocop 2 not so great and 3 was just shocking!

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Robocop, i presume.

I usually tell them they have 3 seconds, but I only shoot them if they try something stupid. Otherwise I'll give them the time they need, except when they are noticably stalling..