Server time: 2017-08-24, 05:13

Sign in to follow this  
JakeGriffin

DayZ - Garry's Mod Gamemode

Would you like to see/play this Garry's Nod gamemode?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see/play this Garry's Nod gamemode?

JakeGriffin    0

I recently started coding a role playing gamemode for Garry's Mod, but didn't like doing it because I'm not creative enough to come up with original ideas... I still want to code a gamemode to test and improve my LUA skills, so I've decided to make a DayZ gamemode.

You may be thinking one of two things:

"There's already a DayZ gamemode for GMod"

or

"GMod is shit, nobody will play"

First of all, the current DayZ gamemode is poorly coded, poorly optimised, and not very popular. I want to make a full GMod varient of the mod, complete with a Chernarus map! Secondly, lots of people play GMod and, even if they didn't, this is something I'm interested in doing as I play Garry's Mod on a regular basis and I've always wanted to code a gamemode and this means I don't really have to be creative :P

So the purpose of this thread is to ask you guys if you would actually be interested in playing this gamemode and give suggestions of what you would like to see a feedback on the development process. Do note that this will be a project for myself over summer and will take a long time to complete properly and to a high standard. Besides, I'm new to gamemode coding!

Let me know what you all think!

Guest Alpha   
Guest Alpha

The Chernarus map in Gmod? I've never seen a map as huge as Chernarus ingame before. Are you sure that will work out?

I like the idea though and I am completely behind it as I'm a huge fan of Gmod

JakeGriffin    0

The Chernarus map in Gmod? I've never seen a map as huge as Chernarus ingame before. Are you sure that will work out?

I like the idea though and I am completely behind it as I'm a huge fan of Gmod

I was thinking of have sections of the Chernarus map across multiple servers. So if you travel to a certain location, say, the East side of Cherno, you would automatically join another server with an Elektro section etc.

Obviously it wouldn't be feasible to upkeep lots of servers with small sections of the map, but it's open for experimentation to see how large of an area can be on one server.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

I'd like to try, since i suck building stuff in GMOD.

JakeGriffin    0

I'd like to try, since i suck building stuff in GMOD.

Me too! Thanks for the positive response :D

Awesome idea, love gmod, I can help with mapping and some coding :)

That'd be a great help! I'm useless at mapping and new to gamemode development.

OmigaaaD    0

Ah, Im a decent mapper, tho my tendencies to make all buildings enterable etc makes my maps huge and takes ages to compile :D

Im not too good at gamemode development but I learn quickly.

JakeGriffin    0

Ah, Im a decent mapper, tho my tendencies to make all buildings enterable etc makes my maps huge and takes ages to compile :D

Im not too good at gamemode development but I learn quickly.

I'd consider that a good thing in this scenario, except for the compiling part :P

No, because you could also make Chernarus map out of lego.

JakeGriffin    0

No, because you could also make Chernarus map out of lego.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Could you elaborate?

OmigaaaD    0

I'd consider that a good thing in this scenario, except for the compiling part :P

Yeah it's a good thing :P just a bit of an annoyance on my part when compiling it :)

JakeGriffin    0

Yeah it's a good thing :P just a bit of an annoyance on my part when compiling it :)

Well as said above the map will most likely be separated into smaller sections and added across interlinked servers, much like GMTower. It's all still very much in the planning stages so the details are unnecessary at the moment, including map development.

OmigaaaD    0

Yeah, making a Chernarus sized map in the source engine would be a miracle :P

Rolle    2473

Not going to happen in Source engine, you can create a very simplified, DayZ-like game mode with zombies, but nothing close to the real thing.

JakeGriffin    0

Not going to happen in Source engine, you can create a very simplified, DayZ-like game mode with zombies, but nothing close to the real thing.

Yea, I know :P but as stated the main limitation would be the map size which would limit the immersion if the map was split into sections through multiple servers.

I guess it's worth a shot and it'll keep me busy for a few months.

OmigaaaD    0

One way to do it could be to base the gamemode off of like DarkRP if you want a semi-rp style dayz gamemode, that would probably speed up the development time quite alot since you have the framework pretty much complete and then just customize DarkRP, make the same hud like in DayZ, add/remove features etc.

It would need optimization tho, DarkRP is far from being well optimized. If you choose to go that direction I could be of more help since I've worked a bit with the DarkRP code.

JakeGriffin    0

One way to do it could be to base the gamemode off of like DarkRP if you want a semi-rp style dayz gamemode, that would probably speed up the development time quite alot since you have the framework pretty much complete and then just customize DarkRP, make the same hud like in DayZ, add/remove features etc.

It would need optimization tho, DarkRP is far from being well optimized. If you choose to go that direction I could be of more help since I've worked a bit with the DarkRP code.

I guess, but that might not be the best idea.

First of all, the optimization, as you mentioned. It's terrible. The coding of the entire gamemode it horrendous, so I'd rather make it from scratch.

Secondly, if I were to base it off of DarkRP, I would need to ask for permission from all of the authors, but again, I'd rather do it myself and not rely on others.

Guest SummersDude101   
Guest SummersDude101

Please do make this. If you do could you please make it available to play on single player? I would love that because I could finally play with my friends without getting shot by some dipshit bandit!

Mikasa    2

Please do make this. If you do could you please make it available to play on single player? I would love that because I could finally play with my friends without getting shot by some dipshit bandit!

On another note, this thread is from 2013, May, so yeah, I don't think it's gonna happen.