Server time (UTC): 2021-09-16 21:57

Initiations

Since VoIP is so fucked right now I wanted to ask what happens if I initiate on someone but they don't hear it. Rule 4.1 states all initiations have to be clear and so on, would that mean that if my party doesn't initiate in text aswell we would be to blame since we haven't taken all possible measures to ensure the hostile party received our initiation? 

This question is mainly for GMs and Admins but if anyone else has an answer, shoot. I'm also not looking for a discussion here I just want to know the outcome. 

• Diamond

Thing is though you can't be sure if it's clear because some factors can play into VoiP initiations being a flop, Server performance and time you logged in both play a factor and you can never know who hears it. 
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't it's way too random like the new report I heard the VoIP one even reacted but the other heard nothing.

Edited by Eagle
  • Emerald

Apparently text chat is bugged sometimes as well, so I'm not sure a whole lot would change.

Sure there are a higher chance of them not having both things bugged, so i guess it would help in a lot of situations, but there would still be situations where both would be bugged.

You all got a point but if the other party doesn't hear my VoIP and I wouldn't have any recording of myself then staff will pretty much be forced to punish me unless they want rdming people claim their VoIP was bugged in the future. 

So maybe add this part aswell, what if there is no evidence of me initiating? 

Edited by Guest
  • Sapphire

Well its no ones fault 

Dayz is just a shit game

It would be good if @Roland @JimRP dropped thier words

• Legend

If you’re planing on initiating, make sure you say multiple times through VOIP and also use chat too. 

With the current comms bugs initiations can be tricky/risky. The only solution here would be to have a recording. I know you've stated "What if I have no video evidence" but if you want to be bulletproof in case of a report, I would record, as voip + text can be not enough. Easiest way would be to have something like OBS recording non-stop in a decent quality, depending on pc you have. Then you'll always have a video to back up your story in case of a bug.

Also: not sure how much chat is buggy, but it should show up in server logs.

Edited by DerrickStorm
  • Server Manager

If someone doesn't get the initiation and is not a threat then you don't kill them. So it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm pretty sure there was another thread where Roland or maybe Jim (?) commented about VOIP + Text being a good idea.  ( or being okay with it ) Here.

lol nevermind he posted already xD

Edited by Bounty
  • MVP
52 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

You all got a point but if the other party doesn't hear my VoIP and I wouldn't have any recording of myself then staff will pretty much be forced to punish me unless they want rdming people claim their VoIP was bugged in the future. 

So maybe add this part aswell, what if there is no evidence of me initiating? 

It would be considered word vs word if it came to a report. Same goes the other way around. Someone could claim they heard nothing to try to get someone banned banned for RDM. This issue concerns me alot too since I have never recorded anything and dont have a clue how recording gameplay works. Still, you shouldnt get punished if there is no proof that you actually broke the rules. I think its quite easy to see if someone really started abusing this to RDM people and you can allways drop a text bomb that will be recorded in the logs proving you actually initiated.

• Sapphire

-snip-

Edited by Farmer-BorisRP
Im stupid
13 minutes ago, Roland said:

If someone doesn't get the initiation and is not a threat then you don't kill them. So it shouldn't be a problem.

So building on that I assume it is okay to kill them if they become a threat, e.g. if they are holding a weapon in their hands and don't put it away? Sorry for lawyering the shit out of this, I just don't want any of my friends getting banned for dayz being shit. 

• Diamond
1 minute ago, Grimnir said:

So building on that I assume it is okay to kill them if they become a threat, e.g. if they are holding a weapon in their hands and don't put it away? Sorry for lawyering the shit out of this, I just don't want any of my friends getting banned for dayz being shit. 

Pretty sure he means anyone that can kill you gass, if they can't you dont..
With ofc sufficient time.

25 minutes ago, Roland said:

That doesn't seem to be the case, people are getting blasted in seconds by a few people ? the videos are kinda funny at least

• Sapphire
10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

That doesn't seem to be the case, people are getting blasted in seconds by a few people ? the videos are kinda funny at least

Guess it depends what your definition of a threat is ? 

• Emerald

Text is bugged too. I feel people are forgetting that.

I'd maybe consider firing some shots into the air or something when initiating, making it quite clear what is going on.

17 minutes ago, uSx said:

Text is bugged too. I feel people are forgetting that.

I'd maybe consider firing some shots into the air or something when initiating, making it quite clear what is going on.

I was also thinking that firing shots in the air would be also a nice addition. The problem is that if somebody is holding a gun, you initiate and he doesn't hear that, he reacts to the shots and turns around towards them - you. Now you have split seconds to decide what type of reaction is that:

a) hostile

b) Like I usually do - quick reaction to check what the hell, when mid-turning-around-unable-to-stop my brain whispers "press F2"

• Emerald
1 hour ago, Roland said:

This is going to be very VERY difficult for some people.

But it's going to be abused as well. People "pretending" not to hear you and run away.
Avoiding RP can be easy, just pretend that "voip was fucked"

Let's just say that we need some sort of failsafe that 100% works.

If VoIP and Text fails, then do a classic emote, like the "friendly wiggle" from there you all understand that DayzSA has anally compromised your rectum and you should all just relog and continue the RP from there. "or friendly wiggle = please come on TS"

I'd rather have these stupid bugs fixed, but hey, that would be a solution. We don't do solutions here, only workarounds.

Edited by Osaka

There is no way around it guys, we NEED working voip for any form of RP. Not only is it just cutting out theres a very bad echo bug at the moment too. Lets just hope the devs have this as a priority.

There is no workaround I can think of that wont be abused, or just cause an even bigger mess than the server already is in.

16 minutes ago, Jerry said:

There is no way around it guys, we NEED working voip for any form of RP. Not only is it just cutting out theres a very bad echo bug at the moment too. Lets just hope the devs have this as a priority.

There is no workaround I can think of that wont be abused, or just cause an even bigger mess than the server already is in.

Yes the VOIP bug where you just hear someone practically stuttering a thousand times and you can not make out what they say...