Jump to content

Server time (UTC): 2021-09-24 00:50

Initial fear of players


Guest RyanOG

Recommended Posts

So lately, I recently came back to DayZ after a very long break, i'm used to being KoS'd. how do i get over the fear of meeting players, thinking they will just straight up take me hostage? I want to involve myself with good RP and not have to be constantly sketched if someone even steps closer towards me haha.

Link to comment
  • Legend

There's no real technique. I basically go to big groups of people and loiter in the background until I feel comfortable enough to jump in and get into my character. 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

There's no real technique. I basically go to big groups of people and loiter in the background until I feel comfortable enough to jump in and get into my character. 

I suppose so, My last interaction i can vividly remember was being taken hostage, tortured by a guy called the butcher and was made to wear a dress and a pink cap :'D, being new to RP nd stuff i'll have to ease in

Edited by RyanOG
Link to comment
  • Sapphire

Take the leap of faith, use the first rule of Improv -- Always say yes.

Even if it's hostile RP, if it's done right, it can definitely progress your story arch and if you don't want permanent damage done to your character, then say no in OOC. You decide what's best for your character. 

Never get attached to gear, at all. You will lose it, one way or another. Travel light is a recommendation.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, CrescentGent said:

Take the leap of faith, use the first rule of Improv -- Always say yes.

Even if it's hostile RP, if it's done right, it can definitely progress your story arch and if you don't want permanent damage done to your character, then say no in OOC. You decide what's best for your character. 

Never get attached to gear, at all. You will lose it, one way or another. Travel light is a recommendation.

Thank you, I appreciate this. .63 is easy to get geared IMO, only really attached to my sick hood and bali ;'D

Edited by RyanOG
Link to comment
  • Sapphire
On 11/11/2018 at 4:26 PM, ryanpr said:

Thank you, I appreciate this. .63 is easy to get geared IMO, only really attached to my sick hood and bali ;'D

Getting attached is setting yourself up for failure. Its a dangerous path to follow. 

There are thousands of cases here of community members breaking the rules purely to be selfish salty little children who don't want to lose their nice shiny ak. Just don't. You don't need things. You need your voice and a personality here, that's it. 

My advice is look for roleplayers. They are pretty easy to distinguish over the bandit groups. 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Click said:

My advice is look for roleplayers. They are pretty easy to distinguish over the bandit groups. 

Are you implying that the two are mutually exclusive?

Link to comment

Playing here for about a month, never got shot at, never got robed although i always roam around the map alone.

I would though advice you to avoid ladders, much more dangerous than players...

Link to comment
  • MVP
On 11/11/2018 at 9:00 PM, ryanpr said:

So lately, I recently came back to DayZ after a very long break, i'm used to being KoS'd. how do i get over the fear of meeting players, thinking they will just straight up take me hostage? I want to involve myself with good RP and not have to be constantly sketched if someone even steps closer towards me haha.

Don't have shit worth taking and usually you're avoided like the plague.

Look flashy and you're ripe for the taking the majority of the time, I wouldn't worry though. The majority of bandits/ bandit groups are decent.

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Click said:

Getting attached is setting yourself up for failure. Its a dangerous path to follow. 

My advice is look for roleplayers. They are pretty easy to distinguish over the bandit groups. 

Yeah, it was merely a joke, who doesn't love full patrol/gorka with the hood ;')

Noticed bandits seem to be more or less obvious and stick out like a sore thumb. I do understand what you mean.

10 minutes ago, Uncle said:

I would though advice you to avoid ladders, much more dangerous than players...

lets be real, the fire stations the worst :'D

 

5 minutes ago, Mexi said:

Don't have shit worth taking and usually you're avoided like the plague.

Look flashy and you're ripe for the taking the majority of the time, I wouldn't worry though. The majority of bandits/ bandit groups are decent.

Yeah i realised they are kinda decent, one group demanded my M4 simply because i didn't see them and they followed me to start with me due to me not acknowledging them :S negotiated with a few cans of beans and some 5.56, sent them on their way ahah

Link to comment
  • MVP
On 11/12/2018 at 7:00 AM, ryanpr said:

So lately, I recently came back to DayZ after a very long break, i'm used to being KoS'd. how do i get over the fear of meeting players, thinking they will just straight up take me hostage? I want to involve myself with good RP and not have to be constantly sketched if someone even steps closer towards me haha.

Use that fear as part of your RP! Be scared of people and develop your character through those interactions.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Alex said:

Use that fear as part of your RP! Be scared of people and develop your character through those interactions.

yeah, I didn't look at it like that! i'm still in the awkward phase atm though lol

Link to comment
  • Sapphire
17 minutes ago, Cipher said:

Are you implying that the two are mutually exclusive?

Yes, I'm assuming that the two are mutually exclusive for the majority. 

Purely from my experience not from any attentive discrimination. 

Edited by Click
Link to comment

Be completely harmless! ? That helps. xD Although I've been robbed alot O.o - people tend to walk up, point guns.. hear my voice and then pat my head in a patronizing fashion. <.< But, always good role-play to be had for sure....  I make a point of not carrying a gun and feeding heavily geared soldiers, because.... They can't yell at me with a mouth full of spaghetti. ? Whatever happens ,though, use your head.... You got a bunch of scary charnarussians talking about hating foreigners and you know you're a foreigner? Maybe pretend to be mute and write 'death to foreign pigs' in the sand with your fingers..  

giphy.gif

Edited by Bounty
Link to comment

Even if you get robbed, it still makes for good rp but at the end of the day all you will lose is a few items and you’ll have had fun doing the rp. Most people turn out to be friendly from my personal experience. 

Edited by tr3ko
Link to comment
  • Emerald
On 11/11/2018 at 4:00 PM, ryanpr said:

-snip-

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this but I'll chime in... Well you seem fairly new to the community , I'd say you should find a group. It will give you a bit of experience in making friends and learning the map. 

Link to comment

Stop caring about gear and you'll be fine, also "Avoid bandits and you'll find RPers" What the hell is that suppose to mean.

People who whine about the bandits clearly haven't tried bandit RP, its the most difficult form of RP..

Link to comment

I feel your pain, i am new as well, ive just been playing it safe in the woods, and stalking players until i know there solo / not bandits and then approach them. i traded a wolf pelt to this one dude :# 
I need to stop being so scared for my life and get a bit more interaction. Good luck to yourself though!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Stop caring about gear and you'll be fine, also "Avoid bandits and you'll find RPers" What the hell is that suppose to mean.

People who whine about the bandits clearly haven't tried bandit RP, its the most difficult form of RP..

Just to be clear - I'm not the one complaining here but haven't it crossed your mind that people "whining" about BanditRP do so because it's not up to standards they expected. I've lately seen a lot of mentions in reports saying that the initators took someone hostage, handcuffed the victim and then just proceeded to strip him/her of gear. Without any RP or a minimal amount of it. 

I agree that the BanditRP is one of the most difficult but that just means that most people trying it at the moment (probably those that people here complain about) might be beginners at BanditRP and maybe they just need guidence, training etc.

Edited by Tewudin
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Tewudin said:

Just to be clear - I'm not the one complaining here but haven't it crossed your mind that people "whining" about BanditRP do so because it's not up to standards they expected. I've lately seen a lot of mentions in reports saying that the initators took someone hostage, handcuffed the victim and then just proceeded to strip him/her of gear. Without any RP or a minimal amount of it. 

I agree that the BanditRP is one of the most difficult but that just means that most people trying it at the moment (probably those that people here complain about) might be beginners at BanditRP and maybe they just need guidence, training etc.

Yeah I see a lot of those reports, it's also a two way street. People just stand their silent with the throught of "fuck sake these guys are just going to take my gear" which makes it even harder for bandits that are trying their best. Obviously if a bandit tells you to shut up, he better have some good RP planned for you. I've always wanted to write some sort of guildlines of different things to say or do during hostile RP, but I wouldn't know where to begin or if anyone would even use my adivce..

Link to comment
54 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Yeah I see a lot of those reports, it's also a two way street. People just stand their silent with the throught of "fuck sake these guys are just going to take my gear" which makes it even harder for bandits that are trying their best. Obviously if a bandit tells you to shut up, he better have some good RP planned for you. I've always wanted to write some sort of guildlines of different things to say or do during hostile RP, but I wouldn't know where to begin or if anyone would even use my adivce..

There was such a guide, I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if it got lost on the forums though.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...