Server time (UTC): 2021-09-20 20:29

The Community's View on Hardcore-Style Survival

Angel

Thoughts on Hardcore-Styled Survival?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Sapphire

I understand this probably won't be a very popular idea, but I'm genuinely curious on the community's feeling around this, as it could very well shape the future of the DayZRP Mod.

I'm reminded of the DayZ 2017 Mod, where the loot tables were composed of mostly if not entirely broken down equipment. Guns, cars, anything made out of metal was rusted away and rarely in pristine condition. Not only that, but weapons such as automatic rifles were an absolute luxury item. The most you could hope to find were bolt action rifles, pistols, if anything.

As much as a lot of features from DayZ 2017 were on the "creative" side (like a bus being turned into a boat), I feel like taking away some things from it could be interesting.

Image result for DayZ 2017 mod Related image

Right now, a couple of Airfield runs on an empty server will grant you dozens of full ammo stacks. This is not a secret. Bullets and AKs are commodities, they're household, everyday items. And they're often not incredibly useful given the amount of glitches DayZ has at the moment. Unless you know you'll get into PVP, carrying too much equipment is rather cumbersome.

I, myself, have dozens of stacks of almost every ammo type available. I could get any gun I want, with any attachments I want and spray people down with them.

In the poll above you can vote on your personal opinion on the way DayZRP could go. These are my ideas:

• Dramatically decrease the amount of military-grade weaponry and equipment. This is a given. No more of everyone running around with vests, camo clothing, tactical gloves, helmets, AKs, M4s, etc. This extends from full-automatic and/or high caliber weaponry (SVD) to clothing and equipment (vests, helmets, attachments, etc.)
  • Dramatically decrease the amount of ammunition, but dramatically increase their efficiency. To balance the lack of bullets, they should be stronger than ever. You should feel excited and powerful for having 5 bullets in your pistol, because they can kill 5 people.
  • Extend civilian-grade weaponry and equipment to most of the map. To balance the lack of military-grade firearms, we could make guns such as the Mosin, small rifles, the "Makarov" and others more widespread, making it so if you have a gun, its most likely that.
  • Decrease quality of spawned equipment. Make most guns you find to be in bad to worse condition, requiring a cleaning kit to be put in good working conditions, this extends to bullets, magazines, attachments (if any), etc.
  • Increase the amount of melee weapons. These can go from kitchen knives to splitting axes. They need to be the go-to form of self-defense.

These are probably the only changes we could make with the current build of DayZ. I did not touch food and water as they can be pretty annoying and the way it is now is good, I feel. There's a good balance of urgency and calm that doesn't disrupt roleplaying.

Given the release of modding support, new ideas come to mind:

• Full weaponry and equipment reskin for a rusty, broken look.
  • Full reskin of vehicles and objects for the same effect.
  • New vehicles.
  • New weapons (more semi-automatic and bolt action rifles).
  • Dozens of new clothes, more to be crafted for the post-apocalyptic survivor look.
  • Map modifications (buildings retextured, broken down, fauna and flore invading cities, more areas to explore.)
  • Changes in the medical system, making it more realistic and more effective.

These are some of the ideas I could come up with, any more would be appreciated.

Again, I am fully aware of how this could be seen as a clear "No" for a lot of people, but not discussing this and giving up on addressing or extending the survival aspect of the game would turn DayZRP into ARMARP, just in a desolate place that looks as clean as it was years before the infection. So, any feedback is appreciated, even if you want to agree with only one of the points or all of them. If you have anything you want to add, please do so. This is a place for discussing.

Yes, please.

I don't feel like I'm roleplaying in an apocalypse when I play DayZRP. Don't get me wrong, the RP's great, but it doesn't give me the vibe of "everybody's fucked, we're all two steps from death". People run around just fine and act as if zombies are just a somewhat annoying occurrence rather than a full-on threat. It's hard to pretend things like finding food or ammo is hard when it is so far from the truth.

I would love a change of pace - make the game a little harder and perhaps we'll see some interesting characters and groups form around it.

At least a trial run of some of these mechanics I think should be in order.

+1 All the way on this one.

• Sapphire

Yes please,

Would rather not everyone I run into having a fully decked out AK or M4. I've limited to my character to a pistol and a courier bag, no vest or major space, makes me think about inventory management. Bring back the dayz of when you could only find M4's and SVD's at helicopter crashes.

If it can be done, huge +1.

Edited by CrescentGent
  • Emerald

Agree with it but not entirely sure. I would still like to see some changes though!

• Sapphire

Responding to some criticism I've personally heard:

- "This will increase the amount of PVP and Hostile interactions."

Perhaps, maybe a lot at the start, but people will quickly realize that robbing and killing each other leaves too much at stake. It might actually have the contrary effect given that people don't want to die all the time and loot for hours to get back to where they were, therefore making PVP and large-scale firefights a very risky thing, but much more exciting.

- "This will make large groups act as a sort of vacuum."

This is already the case, and will be as long as there is higher end loot (cars, base building materials, guns, etc.), we're simply lowering the bar of what is high-end, and making it tougher to get, not impossible.

Feel free to throw any more criticism or answer to them yourself. This is all for discussion's sake.

Edited by XieAngel
  • Diamond

Yes, but not possible right now nor anytime in the near future. Sorry to say, but this has already been discussed. Modding the game so drastically right now will only put strain on the mod developers. I want a hard survival RP server. That's why I white-listed here, I want it to be like Metro where you only can manage to scavenge a handful of bullets together and that has to keep you alive for so long. I want canned food to be so rare that finding it makes you excited. But its just not possible right now.

• Sapphire

No please

Its a nice post soviet state its gonna be some nice big stockpile

Edited by Farmer-BorisRP
  • MVP

The rusty look of weapons and such is probably not necessary currently, as we aren't even THAT far into the end of the world.  I would like the decrease in high-end weapon spawns, but I think this is something that we can do gradually over time.  If it isn't too much work (cause I'm personally not sure the workload) I think it would be neat to slowly decrease the values every month, to simulate weapons and ammo becoming more and more scarce.  The food I wouldn't touch so much given the current state.  Personally, regardless if food spawns are affected or not the weapon and ammo spawns are probably more serious to mess with.

• Sapphire

Already working on reducing ammo spawns

if my proposal passes, we should see a very dramatic drop in the amount of ammo spawns and provide a start to the "hardcore survival experience" you are looking for.

• Sapphire
Just now, King said:

Already working on reducing ammo spawns

if my proposal passes, we should see a very dramatic drop in the amount of ammo spawns and provide a start to the "hardcore survival experience" you are looking for.

That's very nice to hear. Let's see how much it affects roleplay. Reducing the number of high-caliber weapons is the next logical step. No point having dozens of M4s with barely any ammo.

• Sapphire
Just now, XieAngel said:

That's very nice to hear. Let's see how much it affects roleplay. Reducing the number of high-caliber weapons is the next logical step. No point having dozens of M4s with barely any ammo.

nah.

Think that adds to the experience. Plus knowingly robbing somebody with no ammo in your magazine is hilariously fun.

• Diamond

No ty.

• Sapphire

If there's going to be a decrease in high-end weaponry, there has to be an increase in low-end weaponry. Only having B95s and Mosins isn't great either. I'm honestly not sure about the modding capabilities right now, but having more bolt-action rifles such as the Lee-Enfield and civilian variants of AKs and the such would be cool. 

I know it'd be cool to have food be very rare, but there are in-game complications for such a thing. In order to decrease food spawns, you'd also have to decrease the need to eat otherwise people will just drop dead left right and centre. Realistic? Maybe, but not fun. 

• Event Master

I just love this.

Would love to see Chernarus in a scary way. Now it just looks like everyone is on a holiday and left their cars behind and everyone smashed their windows. Oh and there are a couple weird guys running around trying to eat me. 

• Diamond

Big +1 from me. It should definitely be an amazing occurrence to find a working automatic weapon, let alone an SVD or FAL. I'd love to see conflicts between group be fought using pistols, shotguns, bolties and even melee weapons when you run out of rounds. Some of the most interesting RP I've ever had on this server was back in 2015 when a patch came out (can't remember which one) that made food very rare, aswell as guns. Everybody was forced to start farming to survive, and especially groups started moving up north, and setting up small bases using tents in order to store the food they grew and the few guns they found. The RP felt much more realistic: with resources that scarce whenever you met somebody you'd be shitting bricks if you were by yourself, because losing some of your gear to a robbery or even dying was a huge deal, and people were terrified of big groups, and would run away in fear of getting killed for a can of beans (not like today, where guys run by themselves to groups of 10+ armed men they've never met, greeting them as if they were best friends, and this wasn't the apocalypse but an high school).

• Sapphire

This idea in theory sounds good, but my only fear is that it would handicap the ro because we’d have to loot more than we normal. 

Id be very interested in giving it a trial run and testing it out tho. +1.

• Sapphire

I think in general, it would be a great change of pace. Actually having shit that makes it feel like you are two steps from the edge of hell would be nice. But the amount of modding that would need to take place for that to be a thing on DayZRP's current servers is just slightly unrealistic. Do I think the game needs to be more gritty? Yeah. As it is right now it's socialize and shoot shit simulator with fashion by Addias.

Yes, but only to a certain degree.

Also played 2017. Loved fucking people over in that. Felt like you really were fucking people over.

• MVP

I agree to this fully and support it. A trial run is what would seem the best thing to do here and what people would think about it if it is put into practice

I agree with you, I'd love a hardcore-style survival but at its current state, it's not really a good idea to implement it within DayZRP. Mainly beucase we didn't even hit BETA yet, there isn't much modding tools yet available. I'm looking forward to at least trying this idea out because I believe that it will make RP even better.

• MVP

I realize this has been said and counter-argued already but in my humble opinion it would massively increase GearRP. Back in DayZRP Epoch, people had their fill of gear so roleplay was actually thriving. I think we have a similar atmosphere in Standalone now. With that being said, hardcore survival would also make the world of DayZRP more realistic and lovelier to experience than ever; as obviously, the scarcity of resources in an actual apocalypse would be the number one reason why people would go on robbery sprees. Thus, even though I would personally not enjoy that part; I would still appreciate the reality factor as long as people do not go back to their old habbits of robbing or killing with little or poor roleplay.

• Emerald

Yes, so very yes.

We could have a dayz2017 MOD server, but DayzSA won't allow this much tweaking until modding is a thing.

But yes, more people want this than you think.

Propped modding tools  should be in by xmas according to devs so massive +1 from me.

Advance the lore by 5-10 years and let's make this a nitty gritty survival server. More hostile wild life, harder to find weapons, more reliance on crafting.

Anyone who wants to be Rambo and run around in groups with 10 mags of m4 shenanigans can always go and play normal S.A.? ^_^

• MVP

I enjoyed the patch with a very low amount of food & co. 

This is a +1 for me.