Server time (UTC): 2021-09-20 21:13

Chernarussian / Chernorussian

Sylva

• Sapphire

- snip -

i made a grammatical error regarding ChernOrussian v ChernArussian, but was corrected by a native speaker.

I really shouldn’t have made assumptions about a language I don’t speak. 

Edited by Sylva
Oof
  • Sapphire

Yeah, I've been saying chernorussia since I came to this island in 2013 think I'll keep at it. 

• Diamond

Been saying chernorussian since 2013. Not giving to change?

The confusion stems from the fact that in Russian and other Slavic languages, many things that are written with an O are pronounced with an A. The user is expected to remember the cases where it is so. It's like a never ending list of exceptions to remember, making Russian depend on memorizing quite a bit of stuff.

The most simple example is the word "Dog". If we are to romanize the Russian word we'd get "Sobaka". But the pronunciation would be "Sabaka".

The Word Cherno means Black. A play on words and the "opposite" of Belorussia, which is Belarus - "White Russia".

The root of "Cherno-anything" is CHERN, not CHERNO, however, and the O is a connecting letter meant to create the ability to add another word to it. The native variant of the word Black cannot even be spelled using Latin alphabet.

To summarize, because this word is not meant to be spelled in English to start with, I find both forms acceptable, with the O spelling being more authentic to slav languages spelling rules.

2 cents of a russian speaker.

*edit*

Thinking on it further, it makes sense for Russians to spell it with an O and Locals to spell it with an A. Pronunciation would depend on variant of accent, at that point, but both forms would be accepted and sound ok. Similar to the difference in accent between Russians and Ukranians, I suppose.

Edited by Nikolai B.
  • Sapphire

Well fuck. I should delete this thread. You showed me up, and I learned something new. Thank you.

• Legend
10 minutes ago, Sylva said:

Well fuck. I should delete this thread. You showed me up, and I learned something new. Thank you.

Gonna leave it here if you don't mind. @Nikolai B.'s post shows some nice insights for the people who rp as Chernarussians & Russians.

Thanks, @Spartan
I had a thread somewhere on here like 4 years ago where I translated the meanings of all the town and city names, but I dont think its relevant to the current map, as theres a whole lot more places. Maybe I'll do it again.

If you have any questions regarding Russian linguistics, I am happy to help!

• Sapphire
2 minutes ago, Nikolai B. said:

Thanks, @Spartan
I had a thread somewhere on here like 4 years ago where I translated the meanings of all the town and city names, but I dont think its relevant to the current map, as theres a whole lot more places. Maybe I'll do it again.

speaking of russian linguistics - I took these sc's in-game a few hours ago hoping to send them to one of my russian buddies but he's been MIA for a few weeks. Mind doing me a favour?

https://imgur.com/a/1m3eZMf

sorry if this is a hassle, im just super curious

@Stannis
Not a problem.
The first Image.

This is a memorial. The top says "To our compatriots", seems like an error and like whoever made this WANTED to say "In honor of our compatriots" or such. But the message is carried through regardless.

The 3 lists are names of fallen soldiers, it seems. The interesting thing is that they are completely randomized and are not in any specific (alphabetic or otherwise) order.

The second image seems to be a statue of a person named Sava or Saava, and praises the veterans of ww2 and thanks them for bringing... "light, peace and happiness" with defeating "fascism".

*Edit: I am stupid, the low rez made it look like some name, but its Actually Slava - Glory. So it's "Glory and praise to ...".

Edited by Nikolai B.

The third image has the same text but is seen clearer. The praise are of the "glorious nation" that defeated fascism.

The forth if a bit more...Authentic. This one has a classic Russian phrase that is used to commemorate the fallen. Has a bit of a personal thing for most Russians. You'd struggle to find a Russian that hasn't lost a grandparent or two in WW2.

Here goes:

We blessedly keep

The memory of the heroes

Who walked into immortality

Nothing is forgotten

No one is forgotten

The last one attempts to be a bit more epic:
"We swear upon the memory of the fallen to continue fighting for peace on the earth".

Which is a bit ironic.

#4 in particularly hit home with me.

A friend of my grandfather used to say this about him, or at least the last two lines - "Nothing is forgotten, no one is forgotten".
It has become a memorial-motto of the eastern block in the ww2 context. Heavy words with heavy memories for older east Europeans in general, not just Russians.

Edited by Nikolai B.
  • Sapphire

Thank you so much ?

you're definitely my go-to translator dude now.

• Spartan changed the title to Chernarussian / Chernorussian
  • Legend
2 hours ago, Nikolai B. said:

Thanks, @Spartan

Just incase you were looking for it, I found your old thread in the mod forums. Click me.

You could always make an updated version in the guide forums if you'd want to, I'm sure people who RP as Chernarussians or Russians would appreciate it.