Server time: 2017-08-17, 10:00

Sign in to follow this  
Guest WaltteriH

In-Game names?

Should In-Game name policy have exeptions when having good backstory?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should In-Game name policy have exeptions when having good backstory?

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Okay, i play in S-GRU as Dimitri Petrenko, but if i want to have a completely random character with great backstory, there should be exeptions in the name policy, as it only limits your RP possibilities, and why would you want to carry ID in apocalypse?

For example.

"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk on earth." That was one of the first things, that Pope said at the eve of apocalypse. Now, after weeks after that "outbreak", in the land of South Zagoria, province of Chernarus a new incident happens. Bandits have ruled the wasteland, while trying to kill eachother, survivors and the undead.

After the almighty Rolle has watched the situation escalate for too long, he sent an "asset" to the Earth from the clouds.

He, He is only known as "The Preacher". He has saved countless lives, or "souls" as he said around the world. His main task is to send the infected, or so called "demons" back to hell, only by wielding a Holy Weapon purified using holy water, and Estonian gun oil. For weeks, he has punished the bandits, "sinners" any way possible, before blessing their dead corpses.

The Preacher may be seen, or not be seen, as he moves around the province like a ghost, with surreal powers, or something like that... When he encounters a group of people, he will bless them, make pray or two, and then preach. That is for souls, but for sinners, he only gives silver bullets, and one bless.

Unlike other people, who were born before the outbreak, he has no name, as he is "not real" person. He is only known as "The Preacher". He will not go after your equipement, as he does not eat, sleep, wash or care. He just is.

Oh, and beware; if you have commited any sins, he will be after you.

- Text written to Devils Castle inner wall...

Discuss, and i want to hear some opinions!

*Lights toiletpaper roll.

Yes, I agree, but no forum names.

The Journalist should be allowed though. As should The Traveler. They have very good reasons to be called that.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

That rule basically limits RP possibilities. Just posting my opinions here.

Rolle    2440

Nicknames like "the journalist" or "the traveller" give no identity to the player. The point is to make everyone have a character they can be identified with ingame. If I meet a friendly player in, let's say, Cherno and he tells me "I met 'the traveller' on my way here" I have no idea what he's talking about. Having a first and last name solves the problem, it looks cooler and simplifies the identification. It also gets rid of the unrealistic "super characters" like secret agents, batmans and godmodders that may be roaming the Chernarus.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Yeah, but as long as the backround fits, it is good, and there is only one of a kind, it should not be a problem...

"Dimitri 'The Preacher' Petrenko blessed the dead body after the execution of the bandit"

or

"'The Preacher' blessed the dead body after the execution of the bandit"

And if some Lunatic thinks that they are batman and jumps down a roof without any ID, why should you limit the RP possibilities of that?

Screw it, i am just going to make arabic guy called "Un 'The Preacher' Named"

Rolle    2440

I don't see how you can limit your RP possibilities by having a first and last name.

I think the thing is people would ditch their names and give themselves a new name - ie the Traveller, the Governor etc. It allows them to be mysterious etc.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Why you need first and last name in Apocalypse? You should be able to run around Cherno saying "I am Batman", and then jumping off factory roof thinking you are able to fly. Oh, wait, you have magic ID with you that everybody finds from your body. That makes sense.

Rolle    2440

I think the thing is people would ditch their names and give themselves a new name - ie the Traveller, the Governor etc. It allows them to be mysterious etc.

And that's exactly what we (I) don't want.

Why you need first and last name in Apocalypse? You should be able to run around Cherno saying "I am Batman", and then jumping off factory roof thinking you are able to fly. Oh, wait, you have magic ID with you that everybody finds from your body. That makes sense.

It's a GAME. It has limitations. Get used to it.

Well that last part is not true, because acting on someone's name if he hasn't told it to you himself is considered metagaming.

Mistakes are easy to be made in this regard though.

Nobody is born with a name "The Journalist". This is a title acquired, a nickname. The guy can call John Rocker but being known as "The Journalist". It is up to the character to find out who is the journalist and his background history. He can tell you IG that his name is The Journalist but in his ID will show John Rocker...

About the ID... they should implement the same thing they used in RSV I think... where you can capture your face through webcam and the game will render it in your character... that way everyone will be unique so no need to ID if you remember the guy's face.

And by the way... who wants this type of chat in game:

You: Hey, what's your name survivor?

My name is: xxxXXxX|HumanAimbot|XXxxxXXx

TightPants    0

I don't see how you can limit your RP possibilities by having a first and last name.

I agree with Rolle on this one. The name policy doesn't limit RP possibilities. It's your own narrow minded view of this rule that limits the possibilities. I've all ready pointed out that at the moment you are not forced to abandon the ways you introduce yourself to players. You can still say "They call me Captain Tight Pants" if you want to. If someone metagames I think reports are for reporting such things.

Like Kuato says to Quiad "Open your mind"

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

If you have no ID, people will either shoot you for not having, or indentify you from direct chat name. Unless there is way of removing text chat names, and the name from "Study Body", i think having full names is jusr stupid, as there is so many ways to indentify people by Metagaming, or "i have heard of you before", or "i have seen you around".

Like Rolle said, it is a game, but why limit something that much so it kind-of breaks RP?

There should be an item in game that you spawn with. "Wallet", "Documents" or "DogTag"... there you have your ID.

You can choose to drop it, burn it, keep it or whatever.

If you get caught without it you might get killed but your body can't be studied. Or you can chose to not give it and then died because of it and have your body studied or you can just give it to people as an action just like giving transfusion... but showing your name, DOB and stuff like that to those who read it.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

There are "Documents" toolbelt item in ArmA II. Now we only need Jukki to start coding some sense into Rolle the mod...

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

At the same time you don't have to give your ID to anyone e.g A random survivor approaches you in Elektro hospital and asks for ID you can just say something like "They call me The Traveller, that is all you need to know". In a real life post-apocalyptic situation if a guy comes up to you and asks for ID you wouldn't just say "Sure, no problem, guy I've never seen before, here you go".

TightPants    0

Okay this "Show me your ID" thing sounds stupid for several reasons. First of all it is a zombie apocalypse, world has gone to hell. People don't carry wallets with them anymore as there is no currency or no need for it. (See NO COMMON LORE). Second people might have traveled from another part of the world looking for safe haven and as said before there is a apocalypse going you wont pack IDs with you. Thirdly only soldiers have dogtags or ID with them. Fourthly people dont carry wallets. Fifthly no common lore for why people would have IDs.

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

I would take a passport IRL. If the military have some sort of safe area set up, although it mightn't help, it could come in handy. And it's not heavy either so it would be a 'just in case' item.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Sixthly, people should have any possible nane in the Direct chat, as there is no way of indentifying person only by "hearing his voice" for the first time.

+ i have been threatened like "give me you id or you will die". If i do not have id, i am gonna die.

TightPants    0

Sixthly, people should have any possible nane in the Direct chat, as there is no way of indentifying person only by "hearing his voice" for the first time.

One word metagaming.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

I cant record the whole time, and even though if i get killed "because i refused to give my id" when i have no ID, it is just waste of playing hours...

TightPants    0

So forcing people to use first and last name is bad but forcing people to RP that they have IDs with them is good?

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

I think both are bad, and pople with proper backstory have to figure out stupid name to ruin their character.

Try to figure out a name for 'The Preacher', who is not from any country, and is a white male...

TightPants    0

So shooting someone for not having ID to show slowly turns into invalid reason to kill someone as A) The Mod doesn't have a proper item for IDs or documents. and B) There is no common lore to explain why people are required to have ID with them in zombie apocalypse