Server time (UTC): 2019-06-26, 05:11
Sign in to follow this  
Brett

Rules Regarding Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, etc.

1 minute ago, PsiSyndicate said:

I find it very jarring, edgy and forced.

That's the point.

3 minutes ago, PsiSyndicate said:

Not really, I still like I said remember DayZRP's roleplay to be better BEFORE everyone was calling each other fs and ns. I find it very jarring, edgy and forced. You can easily show distaste of even hatred without using those words.

I remember those days aswell, wasn't mod but up until like a year and a half ago there wasn't really anyone daring to rp such things. I disagree with you, it adds to rp. The apocalypse isn't supposed to be a place of understanding and twitch friendly acceptance. ?

If someone believes another person's RP is not up to par, there is a report section of the forums that you can utilize to initiate an investigation by the staff team. 

At this point, I do not know why the moderators don't just lock this thread.  Opinions regarding the matter have been expressed by the community owner, and it has turned into an argument of feelings vs logical thought.

1 hour ago, PsiSyndicate said:

This man made me take his clothes off, better call him a faggot! 

You make it out like I was stuck on repeat, that was not the case at all the man in my coms was an idiot but let me give you the IC reasoning.
A homophobic man gets taken captive by 4 armed men, whilst doing everything in his power to survive, they wish for him to strip naked in front of a crowd of 3 men, he does so with spite and calls them gay, the 2 others stay quiet unless it's talk of gear, he asks what now ? after dropping his clothes, he gets told IDK stay there whilst waving his hands hinting that they seemed to enjoy what they saw, silence occurs and the man asks them a straight-up question are you guys some fgts or some shit? but before the situation could continue the man gets shot from a single sniper in the woods, more silence occurs and then his eventual execution for the actions of his friends.

I get it if people are using it to troll you and shit which you can report and get them banned but if that was my reasoning, why didn't I do it when you where there to try to get you banned? ?

12 minutes ago, Eagle said:

You make it out like I was stuck on repeat, that was not the case at all the man in my coms was an idiot but let me give you the IC reasoning.
A homophobic man gets taken captive by 4 armed men, whilst doing everything in his power to survive, they wish for him to strip naked in front of a crowd of 3 men, he does so with spite and calls them gay, the 2 others stay quiet unless it's talk of gear, he asks what now ? after dropping his clothes, he gets told IDK stay there whilst waving his hands hinting that they seemed to enjoy what they saw, silence occurs and the man asks them a straight-up question are you guys some fgts or some shit? but before the situation could continue the man gets shot from a single sniper in the woods, more silence occurs and then his eventual execution for the actions of his friends.

I get it if people are using it to troll you and shit which you can report and get them banned but if that was my reasoning, why didn't I do it when you where there to try to get you banned? ?

Why was your friend so desperate for you to say it again? But yeah, nothing person, you're right, they were stupid in that situation, SOME communication and RP would have been nice, my point is I feel people use that word at any given time it could be, gets pretty dull. 

Edited by PsiSyndicate

So, in Chernarus you encounter executions, gunfights, torture, dead people who try to kill and eat your flesh, cannibalism and rape. Am I right? Well at least I've witnessed it all in this game. And this is all possible because of the people playing on here. This server is great right? You must enjoy playing on here because you have the freedom to do so. If you don't enjoy playing, you're free to not play again, nobody is telling you otherwise. Also, this game you play is classed as an 18+ rated game. This is a reccomended age because of everything that can happen to you. It can have an impact on people's lives. From the age 18 and above you'll be seen as an adult, and you'd think that adults can handle such things right? That when someone says nasty words in your direction you either grow a pair of balls and say something about it. Or you shrug it off because you know, it's just words, just a bunch of characters in a funny order. When you buy this game and accept the terms of service you basically state that you're 18 or older and that you can handle playing this game. Long story short. It's just words. Most of us are adults and those who are not are at their own faults. I've seen people under the age of 18 being less sensitive about a few words. So please get a hold of yourself and get used to the fact that people say bad things, or leave. Simple as that.

2 hours ago, PsiSyndicate said:

Since I never shared my two cents, here they are.

Looking at people's account ages, it seems a lot of people didn't play the mod, and have existed since racism/homophobic comments have been okay. As someone who has played more when it was against the rules than when it wasn't, I can say it adds nothing to the experience. People playing the "b-b-but it's a serious roleplay server, for mature adults only" card I kind of question, because let's be real right now DayZRP is not that. You don't need a valid RP reason to initiate, you don't need to value someone else's life and since we ran into someone the other day who told their friend "say faggot" while laughing over TeamSpeak when meeting my group the other day for other than because he asked him to put his clothes on the ground to make sure he had no weapons, kind of says a lot of the maturity levels.

I've heard the word faggot about 15 times in the time I've played DayZRP recently, every time it felt like it was unneeded. I CAN understand in some situations it COULD add to the situation (I'd still rather not hear it), but, when does this realistically happen? I'd challenge someone to link me a clip where it does. I can't understand the pull of RPing a "character" as a racist or homophobe as a mature adult, sorry. People don't seem to agree with @Osaka, but I do, if you really want to do this, I feel like for many of those people, it says something about them as a person. Yes, there are case where this is not true, but since every time I've heard the word "faggot" and the n bomb it felt so incredibly forced (literally like I said it was a friend telling him to say it while laughing), I find it hard to see it as anything more than edgy kids being edgy.

Hello there sir,

Thought I'd also jump in here and throw in my 2 cents since my opinion is really valuable. I've also played here before they changed the rules and I must admit that I didn't understand why the rules changed regarding racism at first. Having said that, now I'm in a group called Cerna Liska (who actually won group of the year) who's premise is that we are a nationalistic group that wants to take back our home country from all the foreigners that we don't think belong here. So the RP is some times pretty harsh, we use harsh words because we are harsh people. We never overdue it, just enough so our character traits comes through. I must admit, I was skeptical of the rule change before but now I'm glad it happened because it opened up a new territory to explore. You say that you agree with Osaka that if you roleplay as a racist you must enjoy it. In my opinion that is not correct since I know what I am in real life and I can tell you that my character couldn't be further from my real life. That's why I roleplay, to experience things that I won't in real life. I know that you don't really role play a character and it might be hard for you to understand, but believe me when I say that you can act like something that you are not. I mean, I don't think that you actually like to mass murder people just because you did that in game and was happy with how many people that you killed afterwards ooc. Do you understand that? I can't say if the people you've met are "edgy kids" but the people I hang with and myself is far from kids and saying certain words isn't us being edgy, it's us portraying characters that exist in real life.

So when people say "mature community", it means that we are people that can take hearing harsh words without taking it OOC. Next time people use those words, confront them in character as you would in real life and see what they have to say, it can be a great role playing scenario.

53 minutes ago, Roman said:

You say that you agree with Osaka that if you roleplay as a racist you must enjoy it.

I roleplay a doctor, not because I am one, but I LIKE to be one.
You roleplay as a character because you want to be that character. That's how I thought it was, but apparently I am wrong. And yes you can pretend to be a racist, but actually arent't in real life. Sure that's possible, but how can you enjoy it then?

There are people who roleplay as a character they hate so much it still feels enjoyable to them. I couldn't do that.
Maybe I'm really bad at acting like I enjoy something while I really don't. 

And I talked to Cyrna Lyska and heard their story and why they do it, so it makes more sense than anything. But their roleplay isn't what this thread is about. It's refined, it will not lead to reports.

And not some idiot circle strafing you while calling you a faggot 100 times before running off, because that's just BadRP and will be in reports.
I just thought with the amount of racism we'd all just chill and avoid reports. But that's not how the staff sees it so I just leave it at that.

As for Psi, yes he has so much OOC hate against him it's really sad. But that's not up to me to handle.
And luckily some certain roleplay such as rape can only be done if both parties first OOC agree that's it's going through, and has to be done well, otherwise it's again just badRP.

But I haven't seen that around, and I'm glad.

So basically the discussion is like the other one, Staff says, go make a report if you think the RP sucked.
And nobody wants restrictions on rules, just common sense.

I'm just going to accept that, and still think it's very difficult to roleplay someone you hate, and ?? enjoy hating it ?? Because I wouldn't and couldn't. And that's all.

15 minutes ago, Osaka said:

I roleplay a doctor, not because I am one, but I LIKE to be one.
You roleplay as a character because you want to be that character. That's how I thought it was, but apparently I am wrong. And yes you can pretend to be a racist, but actually arent't in real life. Sure that's possible, but how can you enjoy it then?

There are people who roleplay as a character they hate so much it still feels enjoyable to them. I couldn't do that.
Maybe I'm really bad at acting like I enjoy something while I really don't. 

I'm just going to accept that, and still think it's very difficult to roleplay someone you hate, and ?? enjoy hating it ?? Because I wouldn't and couldn't. And that's all.

I find it very odd that you can't comprehend that people can play "mean" characters and find enjoyment in it. That's like saying everyone that have played a bandit in game are pretty much psychos in real life and I find that very hard to be true. If you want to be a doctor in real life I think you need to stop judging people based on your own prejudice. For me, exploring different personalities that has nothing to do with me is how I get enjoyment from this game. I can distance myself and have fun being the "bad guy" because it ain't the real me. I guess some people just can't do that. For me the character has more depth then just him saying "faggot" at times, that's just one trait that he has. Then he has other traits that isn't bad because everything isn't black and white. If everyone thought like you then everyone would just sit around a camp fire singing kombayah.

Edited by Roman

1 minute ago, Roman said:

I find it very odd that you can't comprehend that people can play "mean" characters and find enjoyment in it. That's like saying everyone that have played a bandit in game are pretty much psychos in real life and I find that very hard to be true. If you want to be a doctor in real life I think you need to stop judging people based on your own prejudice. For me, exploring different personalities that has nothing to do with me is how I get enjoyment from this game. I can distance myself and have fun being the "bad guy" because it ain't the real me. I guess some people just can't do that. For me the character has more depth then just him saying "faggot" at times, that's just one trait that he has. Then he has other traits that isn't bad because everything isn't black and white. If everyone thought like you then everyone would just sit around a camp fire singing kombayah.

(If everyone thought like you then everyone would just sit around a camp fire singing kombayah.)

If everyone was like me then there are no wars, no hunger, no rape. indeed. True. 
But there are a lot of people who are not like me, and here we are in a world full of horrible things.

2 minutes ago, Osaka said:

(If everyone thought like you then everyone would just sit around a camp fire singing kombayah.)

If everyone was like me then there are no wars, no hunger, no rape. indeed. True. 
But there are a lot of people who are not like me, and here we are in a world full of horrible things.

I'm talking in game tho. Again, I find it hard to believe that 75% of all players on DayZRP are psychopaths in real life. If everyone acted like they were in real life in game I don't think it would be as enjoyable.

24 minutes ago, Roman said:

I'm talking in game tho. Again, I find it hard to believe that 75% of all players on DayZRP are psychopaths in real life. If everyone acted like they were in real life in game I don't think it would be as enjoyable.

I see it as this:

If you play a shooter, you know the ones you shoot are fake, non existent NPC's

If you play dayz and shoot someone it's also fake, but the person you shot has no emotional bonding to it. It's a fake deathmatch, you just shot some pixels, that's not real.
But over voice you engage to someone, you talk personally to the one standing in front of you. I find that very different. At that point you have a real connection with a real someone.

And sure you can fake someone, and pretend or make believe, but it's still different.

As for if people would all act like they are in real life, then I would find it interesting though. because I'm more of a social person, i like talking to people and finding out who they are and what their story is.

Also we would have a lot less fearless supersoldiers who will kill for fun, and rape because they can. Actions have consequences, also in an apocalypse. And most people know this damn well. This is also why series such as The Walking Dead are so stupidly fake. Some things they do in that series make absolutely no sense. 

In real life a zombie apocalypse would indeed be very different.

I just think people IC should at least keep in mind that the person they stand in front of is real, and not an NPC. So if you roleplay racism, then at least do it good, and like some weirdo 12 year old throwing Spongebob memes all over the place and calling you a faggot because you wear an orange armband. 

Edited by Osaka
typo

1 minute ago, Osaka said:

I see it as this:

If you play a shooter, you know the ones you shoot are fake, non existent NPC's

If you play dayz and shoot someone it's also fake, but the person you shot has no emotional bonding to it. It's a fake deathmatch, you just shot some pixels, that's not real.
But over voice you engage to someone, you talk personally to the one standing in front of you. I find that very different. At hat point you have a real connection with a real someone.

And sure you can fake someone, and pretend or make believe, but it's still different.

As for if people would all act like they are in real life, then I would find it interesting though. because I'm more of a social person, i like talking to people and finding out who they are and what their story is.

Also we would have a lot less fearless supersoldiers who will kill for fun, and rape because they can. Actions have consequences, also in an apocalypse. And most people know this damn well. This is also why series such as The Walking Dead are so stupidly fake. Some things they do in that series make absolutely no sense. 

In real life a zombie apocalypse would indeed be very different.

I just think people IC should at least keep in mind that the person they stand in front of is real, and not an NPC. So if you roleplay racism, then at least do it good, and like some weirdo 12 year old throwing Spongebob memes all over the place and calling you a faggot because you wear an orange armband. 

Again, you don't seem to comprehend what "role play" actually entails. It seems more that you just want to play on a public server where people are them selfs.

It's not different, I'm acting as a character who is talking to another character that some one is acting, it is just an advanced NPC for me.

I've never met someone in game where I assume that it's them as a person I'm talking to, if that was the case then I wouldn't even try to act since it would be pointless.

Just now, Roman said:

Again, you don't seem to comprehend what "role play" actually entails. It seems more that you just want to play on a public server where people are them selfs.

It's not different, I'm acting as a character who is talking to another character that some one is acting, it is just an advanced NPC for me.

I've never met someone in game where I assume that it's them as a person I'm talking to, if that was the case then I wouldn't even try to act since it would be pointless.

I know very well what roleplay is.

But you need to understand that roleplaying is still roleplaying, but the person behind it is still human. And not everyone is an exact copy of you who decides for others how they should feel about something.

If I meet someone OOC and they are an ass towards me, I assume you are one.
If I meet someone IC who is an ass towards me I think your character is one. But the person behind it makes me wonder, why would you enjoy this? At what point is it enjoyable to play as someone who is someone you really hate in real life.

Of all personalities to freely chose from, you chose to be a dick... And that's why I don't understand why you would do that.

If you hate metal music, why would you buy the latest Amon Amarth album and listen to it for hours, knowing very well you hate the music?  

Maybe the issue is not that there are a few truly racist, sexist, or homophobic characters in-game.  Maybe the issue is the casual use of racist, sexist, and homophobic words by some of the other characters as well.  That’s when the words lose impact and become merely annoying.

Constantly saying something is “gay” or calling a woman “bitch” or dropping “n” bombs is very one dimensional.  Truly edgy characters are multi-dimensional and subtle.  They are insidious and they frighten the heck out of me.  And I respect them for that.

Edit:  Darn that red button, I clicked it even though I wasn’t sure I wanted to post.  Well, it’s too late now.

Edited by Mia

So basically you have GoodRP and BadRP, and it's up to you to make the best of it.

Man, I role played as an addict once and ever since then I've realized that black tar is the only thing missing from my life. It's crazy how role play do that. 

The argument that you can't rp (or can't enjoy rp) as something you are not is ridiculous. 

once again when you join the community you accept the rules of the community. If you feel that it is bad RP put on display report it, the section is there for a reason. Now can we bury this discussion seeing as its been going back and forth for a solid day?

23 minutes ago, Osaka said:

At what point is it enjoyableto play as someone who is someone you really hate in real life.

Of all personalities to freely chose from, you chose to be a dick... And that's why I don't understand why you would do that.

If you hate metal music, why would you buy the latest Amon Amarth album and listen to it for hours, knowing very well you hate the music?  

Are you feeling alright ?... So me and my friends play as murderous heartless outlaws and I play as a psychopathic Chinese man, does that mean I enjoy being a blood thirsty Chinese man IRL ??? I think you think too much and have pushed this topic too far. People can RP whatever they like and you dont have to "understand" everything. This is making me OOC question so much if you are OOC serious or not. 

Edited by Rocka

4 minutes ago, Sasha said:

The argument that you can't rp (or can't enjoy rp) as something you are not is ridiculous. 

I never said you can't, I said I just wouldn't do it myself because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Alright lads

669c14dcb0871c6dac3b8f9848feae9a.png

If you want to be a completely nice, friendly person with no sort of issues with any sort of race, sexuality, mindset ect IC, that is fine and it's your choice. However many people don't want to do this, my character has issues with many groups of people that're considered sensitive topics OOC. It's all up to the person behind the microphone and behind the keyboards choice. As you sit there getting pissed off over what someone said IC... You could've in fact made the choice not too and commend them for doing something outside of your normal space. I know 100% if hostile groups of people were not balling around, the game wouldn't be enjoyable. 

Now, the whole racism IC thing, this topic is something I have experience in. I've been on both sides of the coin. Racism IC has happened to me. I've been called many names that're racist towards my character.   Now, notice how I put my character in bold letters and underlined it... It's characters... Nothing more, allow me to put this in simpler terms and how IC racism and OOC racism are different:

Spoiler

Character A calls Character B a racist/homophobic name. 

Forum user A calls Forum User B a racist/homophobic name.

Now, notice how characters and forum users are on different category... Because they are. If someone OOC is homophobic/racist towards anyone, report them. That's OOC stuff, that's directly to you as a person, although I don't recommenced getting offended by things you see on the world wide web. However characters are people, playing people.

If it's IC, leave it. 

For example: My group are playing Ex-Prisoners, have we all broken out of Prison? Nope. @Solo is playing a Scottish character, is he Scottish? Nope. @Grimnir is an underboss for a criminal organisation, is he involved in a criminal lifestyle? Nope. One of our members plays an African man... Is he African? Nope. A certain person in an old group I was in (Pre Lore Wipe, I'm not going to @ her)  was playing a pedophile... Was she a pedophile in the real world? No. I can assure you she wasn't.

It's the exact same thing with racist/homophobic characters, I myself will admit I've had characters who had both these traits, do I have these traits in the real world? Nope. 

People need to understand that people are portraying things that they're not, and if people have an issue they need to get over it. Allow me to quote this rule: 

• 3.1 You are required to role play your character at all times while in game. No OOC events or communication may take priority over your role play. You are not allowed to ignore other players attempts to role play with you.

You are required to roleplay your character at ALL TIMES. If you're RPING seriously and actually giving decent RP, but someone has an issue with what you're saying OOC, don't stop. It's a hurdle they need to get over and they need to understand that.

Never let OOC things mess around with your character. If they have an issue IC, they can bring it up IC and scrap it out there and then. 

The whole " Twitch Streamer " issue is something I won't get into. But just in case, the same goes. Don't stop your RP because someone is streaming and may be banned, they take that risk, not you. 

Let's give it a rest now eh lads? This is literally improving nothing and creating a divide. 

Bless up boys. Been a pleasure writing a wall of text again. 

Edited by Beni

1 hour ago, Osaka said:

And I talked to Cyrna Lyska and heard their story and why they do it, so it makes more sense than anything. But their roleplay isn't what this thread is about. It's refined, it will not lead to reports.

And not some idiot circle strafing you while calling you a faggot 100 times before running off, because that's just BadRP and will be in reports.
I just thought with the amount of racism we'd all just chill and avoid reports. But that's not how the staff sees it so I just leave it at that.

Uh... what exactly is this thread about?

1 minute ago, Asriel said:

Uh... what exactly is this thread about?

Currently it's about making fun of me because I personally wouldn't play a character who who is a racist/rapist and enjoy that play.

So, go ahead, take a number, it's not like the discussion is going anywhere else to be honest

4 minutes ago, Osaka said:

Currently it's about making fun of me because I personally wouldn't play a character who who is a racist/rapist and enjoy that play.

So, go ahead, take a number, it's not like the discussion is going anywhere else to be honest

I'm not doing that, so don't play the victim and act like I am or would. 

I wanted clarification because it seemed like you were criticising that BadRP you mentioned the thread wasn't about. What sort of RP is the thread about, all I wanted to know.

No making fun of you, just actual discussion. Fuck the others if they make fun of you, but don't confuse criticism of your ideas or disagreement for that.

8 minutes ago, Osaka said:

I just have one question for you do you get angry when an actor stars as a rapist or a racist murder etc etc in a movie? Most likely not because it’s “just a movie” this is “just a game” and roleplaying is acting. If people wanna be those characters who am I tell them no because it makes me uncomfortable. This is a apocalypse you don’t need to be politically correct. 

Edit: I think people feel the people in this thread trying to limit entire styles of play because they don’t like that style. No one is coming at you. 

Edited by Diamond