Server time (UTC): 2019-06-26, 03:11
Sign in to follow this  
Brett

Rules Regarding Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, etc.

I think the best argument I've seen made to this point is that racism, homophobia, etc. is a problem people, and likely some in our community, face frequently.  People across the world are still openly racist, homophobic, transphobic, and whatever else you can add to that prefix, and I'd highly doubt that someone who experiences that discrimination in real life would have a fun time in our community if they sat down that night and went through the same thing, then had people justify it because it's "immersive."

I've seen people argue that people are murdered, tortured, etc. in this community, and that's even more obscene than discrimination.  I would agree, but, save a few extremes, people don't go through their lives worrying about somebody wearing a PAYDAY mask jumping out of an alley way and cutting their finger off.  The violence that takes place in DayZRP is so disassociated with reality that we can all acknowledge that it is fictional, and if it weren't, that it would not be okay.

I do agree that racist characters have added a lot to the roleplay of the community, but you can still play a character who discriminates against others without freely shouting "n*gger."  I'm against a total ban on discrimination (that would just put a halt on a hefty amount of groups and people, after all), however, given the touchiness of the subject in real life, I do wholeheartedly support rules and limitations being placed on it. I'd hope everyone can agree that the use of slurs and discrimination is wrong, but I do understand where the argument that in the post-apocalypse, it would likely happen.  Additionally, I do find no minimum age restriction on the community mixed with no rules on discrimination to be a dangerous, dangerous combination, and would also like to vouch for a minimum age restriction being implemented if practices like these are allowed to continue.  That being said, I personally think that the extremes of it shouldn't, as in a community advertised as "mature," I'd hope that respecting our fellow community members wishes, both in and out of character, would easily hold more importance than your character being able to spout discriminatory bullshit because "oh my immersion!"

1 hour ago, Craig said:

IRL My best fucking friend is a black guy

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but you gotta admit, saying "I'm not racist, I'm friends with a black guy," is a pretty funny embodiment of racist stereotypes.

not calling you racist though, don't get the wrong idea

Anyways, I conclude my rant.  I hope we can keep this respectful and move towards compromise in the rules that makes roleplay enjoyable for everyone, as per the promise of the rules.

Edited by JesterInPeril

No rules on roleplay, this is a mature role playing community. Walk away or report if you think it’s that bad.

6 minutes ago, Zero said:

Rule shouldn’t be changed but whoever said it should be hit with bad rp. 

>Why are you wearing an orange armband. 

>Oh, we just like the color. We aren’t part of the house. 

> that’s pretty gay dude. 

Who the fuck responds like that realistically? No one except edgy kids trying to meme on the internet. 

Also they were pretty much trolling by playing meme like music through their radios, like com on. 

That's exactly what I meant. It's just BadRP. 

If done correctly racist etc. RP can be good, but like with Psi's report where they were constantly screaming slurs at him and "I fucked ur mum" over and over again, that's just horrible. 

Glad I was on the toilet when I read this because I would had shit my pants finding out on DayZRP that I'm a Nazi in real life. This was pretty hard for me to learn so now I either have to embrace my new life style or start roleplaying a LGBTQ representative. Thanks Osaka for showing me the light. 

YES to all kinds of RP, huge NO to Extremes & Troll behaviour. If you feel it's going over the line, write /ooc or make a report after if it's really bad.

Edit: Also everybody should take a step back and chill for a second, because it's a very heated discussion.

Edited by DerrickStorm

3 minutes ago, Osaka said:

That's exactly what I meant. It's just BadRP. 

If done correctly racist etc. RP can be good, but like with Psi's report where they were constantly screaming slurs at him and "I fucked ur mum" over and over again, that's just horrible. 

We can agree on this one here. The individual situation has to be reviewed, generalizing statements as "haterp" and so on don't help. But people running around in circles screaming "nigger nigger nigger" or "I fuck your mum" or whatnot is simply shit and BadRP / Trolling. As it was said before, depends on how it is done.

1 minute ago, Roman said:

Glad I was on the toilet when I read this because I would had shit my pants finding out on DayZRP that I'm a Nazi in real life. This was pretty hard for me to learn so now I either have to embrace my new life style or start roleplaying a LGBTQ representative. Thanks Osaka for showing me the light. 

ok i think its about time you guys stops acting all cocky and make it about fucking ingame runnins we have hade and the  same goes for you osake you guys need to stop acting like childre

if you have problems with echoter take it to pms or ts not her

We are roleplaying in an apocalypse and societal controls are gone.  People no longer hide racist, sexist, and homophobic beliefs because there are no consequences.  So, yes, I’d expect to see a few solid homophobic, racist, or sexist characters in game.  Maybe even a group or two.  I wouldn’t expect to see so many, though . . . it’s like the infection was engineered to target “good” people and skip over the dregs of society.  (Hmm, maybe it was engineered that way to ensure survivors would eventually kill off each other.) 

I know, good is boring.  And who would want to play a boring character, right?  Oh, wait, me.  (I do admit there are times I’d like to RDM the racist, sexist, or homophobe standing in front of me.  But, DayZRP controls stop me.  Please, Rolle, can I have a get out of jail free card?)  

Edited by Mia

12 minutes ago, Roman said:

I already said I was sorry. Do I have to PM everyone who has OOC problems with me now? 

Just now, Osaka said:

I already said I was sorry. Do I have to PM everyone who has OOC problems with me now? 

I'm just having bit of a laugh friend, we all good. No need to say sorry to me.

1 hour ago, Osaka said:

Maybe later the Cerna Lyska can just join us in TS for a generic OOC chat and just make some plans about future RP? 

More than happy to talk things through on TS, I tried DMing you, didn't work.

Feel free to ping me on TS when you're around

1 hour ago, lukaszxe said:

Looking at it and what transpired yesterday I can see both sides. As a streamer when those words are being told he runs the risk of being banned on twitch. At the same time, he's on our servers and has to abide by our rules. You have to be able to keep OOC and IC out of this. It's an apocalypse and those words are gonna exist in-game and if there's too much he could just go OOC in the text chat and ask them to stop or the person could go away from the area.

We shouldn't have to change rules or watch what we say just because someone is streaming. It's their choice to stream, just like it's their choice to play on this specific server. 

I've been around people here who have streamed and they like to say "hey guys I'm streaming now, so watch what you say", and to be frank, I don't care. 

People are starting to treat streamers like the Yelp! reviewer at the expense of everyone else. 

6 minutes ago, Roman said:

I'm just having bit of a laugh friend, we all good. No need to say sorry to me.

Alright cool beans. 

If it's done properly, I don't see an issue. 

I have issues with people rolling around calling people Ni$"ER at the top of their lungs, because that's BadRP and TrollRP. There's a line between Racist RP and BadRP. It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

Also, if you're a streamer and this happens then, I don't really care. I won't change my character for the sake of your stream.... When you get In game on DayZRP, you take the risk of being called racist names, homophobic names, ect ect. I am not going to change my character because of an OOC Live stream. That's not how Roleplay works. There is a pretty easy way to combat this you know, it's called a delay. They use it on Live TV quite a bit... 

All RP needs rules of course, but lets not limit ourselfs... There would be racist, sexists and people who're homophobic in the land that we have IG. No point in taking them out because some people feel offended/have OOC issues with it. It's realism. 

Edited by Beni

15 minutes ago, Beni said:

I have issues with people rolling around calling people Ni$"ER at the top of their lungs, because that's BadRP and TrollRP. There's a line between Racist RP and BadRP. It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

Also, if you're a streamer and this happens then, I don't really care. I won't change my character for the sake of your stream.... When you get In game on DayZRP, you take the risk of being called racist names, homophobic names, ect ect. I am not going to change my character because of an OOC Live stream. That's not how Roleplay works. 

All RP needs rules of course, but lets not limit ourselfs... There would be racist, sexists and people who're homophobic in the land that we have IG. No point in taking them out because some people feel offended. It's realism. 

You're right. I agree. This is a good way to compromise. 

16 minutes ago, Beni said:

What's wrong with that statement in my opinion, is that it's fine until someone steps up and takes offense. Then it's no longer fine. Then, my past experience in RP says that when someone is no longer enjoying, that's a serious problem. And the way this community reacts is: "There's no problem" 

I can rant all day but that's my can of beans

Edited by Aleksi-Baraszkov

Newsflash lads:

Keep IC and OOC seperate.

Peoples IC behavior doesn't reflect their OOC behavior, and you should never assume that.

14 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Keep IC and OOC seperate.

Peoples IC behavior doesn't reflect their OOC behavior, and you should never assume that.

Thank you, Ducky. 

First things first, I am am not racist in the slightest;

People need to understand that people are playing characters. I've played my fair share of racists in the past... People can be offended. It's all about knowing that who someone is IC and who they are OOC are to very different boxes of frogs. People need to understand that this is a mature gaming community, people will play extremest characters. Also, refer to this rule:

• 3.1 You are required to role play your character at all times while in game. No OOC events or communication may take priority over your role play. You are not allowed to ignore other players attempts to role play with you.

So if someone bangs in OOC chat //Can you guys stop? That is in fact, an OOC event, and it will not take priority over my character. It's as simple as that. People will have issues with types of " extreme " roleplay, that's just a hurdle they'll need to jump over. If I am mistaken someone please enlighten me.

People can message me OOCLY and I will gladly talk to them about it and give peace of mind, but will I stop my characters personality ICLY over something OOC? Nope. 

" NO events must take priority over my Roleplay " , that includes when someone doesn't like my type of RP OOC.

Also: 

3.2 Your character must behave realistically and appropriately to the different situations you participate in, keeping the current world situation and context of post-apocalyptic world in mind. Do not act in a way that indicates no value for your characters life and survival. For example, attempting to kill people when heavily outnumbered, excessively talking back or insulting someone when taken hostage, or knowingly running into an area of active hostile engagement when not involved in the fight.

If someone ICLY tells me to stop being racist, am I going to stop? No... Because now they've given me that reaction, I'll carry on... Because I know they have an issue with it. That's just human nature of a bullying, racist character.

I understand what you're saying, but I won't sacrifice my characters IC personality, because someone OOC doesn't like it.

Edited by Beni

8 minutes ago, Aleksi-Baraszkov said:

What's wrong with that statement in my opinion, is that it's fine until someone steps up and takes offense. Then it's no longer fine. Then, my past experience in RP says that when someone is no longer enjoying, that's a serious problem. And the way this community reacts is: "There's no problem" 

I can rant all day but that's my can of beans

If someone truly takes offence to that kind of RP, they need to step up and say it OOC in a polite manner so the tone of the RP can change slightly.  People aren't heartless.  They will tone it down if there is a problem.

5 minutes ago, Cid said:

If someone truly takes offence to that kind of RP, they need to step up and say it OOC in a polite manner so the tone of the RP can change slightly.  People aren't heartless.  They will tone it down if there is a problem.

There's been rule quotes saying that there's rules supporting abhorrent displays of roleplay. That kind of self-justification is just a confirmation that anonimity takes away the need for social inhibitions. And I'm not saying people can't do racist rp or not enjoy racist rp. I'm saying they shouldn't. At least not for the sake of realism and immersion

Edited by Aleksi-Baraszkov

1 minute ago, Aleksi-Baraszkov said:

There's been rule quotes saying that there's rules supporting abhorrent displays of roleplay. That kind of self-justification is just a confirmation that anonimity takes away the need for social inhibitions. And I'm not saying people can't do racist rp or not enjoy racist rp. I'm saying they shouldn't

So you feel like you get to dictate what kind of RP is and isn't allowed due to some moral/ethical highground?

Violence with guns is unethical, should we take all the guns away?

What about all the people who roleplay drug abuse, that's unethical too right?

Get off your high horse and let people RP what they want, it deepens their characters stories and gives them much more personality.

The aim of this community isn't specifically to have Twitch friendly roleplay. So as long as it's not trolly do what you want as far as I'm concerned.

hmmmmm I feel as if this was caused by me and a few other people, all I gotta say if its aloud I'm probably gunna say or do it, now I'm not going to go over the line with it but I'm not going to not say it because of a *Streamer*

Edited by Nightwing

2 minutes ago, Aleksi-Baraszkov said:

There's been rule quotes saying that there's rules supporting abhorrent displays of roleplay. That kind of self-justification is just a confirmation that anonimity takes away the need for social inhibitions. And I'm not saying people can't do racist rp or not enjoy racist rp. I'm saying they shouldn't

And that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.  This is a mature roleplaying community, and even though the rules do support such avenues of roleplay, there is still a very fine and noticeable line between bad RP and a good, for lack of a better term, display of that style of roleplay.  Some people create their characters around this basis.  Will everyone enjoy It? No.  But not everyone enjoys hostile roleplay, or campfire roleplay, or PvP... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do them even though they are allowed.  That's sorta how you come across here.

And yes, all the examples I used above are vastly different than something that is clearly already a touchy subject, but this is a mature roleplaying community.  You got a problem with something happening IC? Communicate it in OOC and find that happy medium for both parties.  Most of us are adults, and the rest even if not so are capable of mature conversation.

am i not correct when i say that when you join the community you accept the rules that apply to the community? i guess i'm wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯