Server time (UTC): 2019-11-21, 02:12
Sign in to follow this  
Brett

Rules Regarding Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, etc.

With today's events that had happened involving PsiSyndicate and some other guys, I feel this is probably the biggest question regarding the future of DayZRP as a whole at the moment. Should there be rules against racism, sexism, and homophobia? In my most humble opinion, yes. However, this decision is up to the community as a whole, and most importantly Roland. Even before today's events in Grishino, I've been contemplating whether or not to make pretty much the same post. I feel the same way Psi does. However, in no way am I defending Lewis's actions. He should have expressed his distaste with the words he had heard in accordance to the rules.

I feel that racism, sexism, and homophobia add absolutely nothing to the roleplay. For a very long time, DayZRP prospered without the need to allow this kind of roleplay to take place. A character/group can be racist, sexist, or homophobic easily without coming off as actually vulgar. It's easy enough to just target the type of person your character/group is discriminitory against and just Hostile RP with them without coming across as being racist, sexist, or homophobic for the sake of being those things. People did it long before the rules were changed that allowed this stuff to happen. They can continue to do it, with rules in place against racism, sexism, and homophobia.

By no means, am I some triggered, liberal, SJW, crazy. I've hated SJW ways from the get go. I like edgy humor actually. Tell me a good racist joke, and I'll laugh. However, there is a line where I start to get a little annoyed. I can't tell you how many times that I have run into a group, mainly Chernerussian Nationalists, and I get so very tempted to say // "please chill with the racism" but have decided against it, due to it just being a part of their RP. Also, by no means am I saying that the community members who roleplay Chernerussian Nationalists are bad roleplayers. I love their RP and have had alot of good memories getting held up by them. Also it does make sense for them to be racist IC. However, there needs to be rules against this, or atleast a line that cannot be crossed.

But like I said, it's up to the community as a whole, and Roland if these rules are to be put back. If people like this kind of roleplay, then that's okay. Just some people like Lewis, me, and I'm sure a few other will try not to be apart of it. Which is okay. Certain types of RP aren't for everyone, which is okay. 

This post was meant as a means of discussion for everyone to give their opinion and also to take away this topic from Psi's media thread because it really isn't media anymore. I also wanted to voice my opinion as well. Even if I am just a whitename with 20 some beanz.  

I am all for Psi, and have actively gave a big thumbs up to his return. But this conversation about Racist / Homophobic slurs and RP has been had many many times. And what? We are gonna change our mind after saying it's ok for the last 2 years because the cool streamer dude said it may be a bad thing?

I'm LGBT, but I will tell you now I do not feel offended at all at someone playing a homophobe... and I think anyone who does needs to seriously reevaluate their self perceived worth as a human being. 

-1 to banning homophobic speech on this site. I will not talk about the racism, because hey, I'm a guy who barely receives racism from people so *shrugs* it's not an area I can talk from experience about

Edited by The Traveler

Honestly, I'm guessing i'm one of the reasons from my report, the man stared at me naked and said nothing I honestly could give two fks what I would have called him and even then it shouldn't matter and no it was not due to the idiot in my coms my character is a homophobe racist and everything under there roof..
If words hurt you on a physical level take a break and get some fresh air 

People that do it for memes sure report but everyone else no.

Edited by Eagle

For IC there shouldn’t necessarily be rules against role playing a character that would exist in a real-world scenario. There are extremely ignorant racist sexist homophobic people IRL and preventing that from happening due to magic OOC rules would lead to an absence of the gritty opinions that many people in the same geopolitical area of chernarus actually believe.

As for OOC, respect should be upheld and enforced. 

People need to understand that some people aren’t playing themselves, not everyone bases their character off the same political or social beliefs they hold IRL. 

1 minute ago, Stannis said:

For IC there shouldn’t necessarily be rules against role playing a character that would exist in a real-world scenario. There are extremely ignorant racist sexist homophobic people IRL and preventing that from happening due to magic OOC rules would lead to an absence of the gritty opinions that many people in the same geopolitical area of chernarus actually believe.

As for OOC, respect should be upheld and enforced. 

People need to understand that some people aren’t playing themselves, not everyone bases their character off the same political or social beliefs they hold IRL. 

I get that completely. However, maybe there shouldn't be a rule completely banning that sort of roleplay there should be a rule limiting it. I've already had my fair share of people who completely go overboard. Sure it makes sense IC. But you also have to understand, that there are people who get triggered by this. I myself don't get triggered, I just get a little annoyed. Oh well. But there are those people. Just like you should be able to Roleplay without the fear of being banned, the person on the receiving end should also be able to Roleplay without the fear of having 10 armed men coming up to them and start screaming the n-word at them. Which has happened. I've seen it myself. I just think there should be a limit as to how far you can go with your racist character. That's just my opinion though.

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

If words hurt you on a physical level take a break and get some fresh air 

I guess my response to Stannis can also fit this. In a way.

Rules should be changed because some damned twitch streamer is offended? Gimme a fucking break. ICly Dayzrp is not a safe space and if this language threaten his *cough* "job" *cough* (violating the PC speak of Twitch) he should not play here. Its a pretty sad day if the rules here are gonna change because of one kid with a twitch channel.  I got nothing against this dude but this soap opera shit has gotta stop.

7 minutes ago, Brett said:

I get that completely. However, maybe there shouldn't be a rule completely banning that sort of roleplay there should be a rule limiting it. I've already had my fair share of people who completely go overboard.

BadRP is a thing. If it doesn't progress the RP of the situation, report it. Simple. 

And don't think I am being rude by being brief, rather I am brief as these exact points and counter points have been gone through again and again and again. This conversation has been had, and the debate is long since done. 

Now I politely suggest, if you want this thread to progress in any meaningful way, bring some new point to the table. My advice would be go through the plethora of old threads on this subject to see if you have any points which aint been touched on. 

If so, brilliant, i'll happily discuss em with you.... but if you can't find any new points, maybe that;s a sign that this thread aint going anywhere :S 

Just now, Ansolari said:

Rules should be changed because some damned twitch streamer is offended? Gimme a fucking break. ICly Dayzrp is not a safe space and if this language threaten his *cough* "job" *cough* (violating the PC speak of Twitch) he should not play here. Its a pretty sad day if the rules here are gonna change because of one kid with a twitch channel.  I got nothing against this dude but this soap opera shit has gotta stop.

It shouldn't be changed for the sake of Lewis, no. That would be utterly stupid. However, allowing that kind of roleplay or atleast not limiting it, shuts out a large majority of potential new roleplayers. Because the lack of rules limiting it, alot of people will turn away from DayZRP and to a different RP server. Having rules limiting this won't make people turn away from DayZRP either. What person would see DayZRP somewhere, decide to check it out, browse the rules, see the rule against racism etc, and say "What no racism? I'm out." 

I believe for the sake of everyone, there should be atleast a compromise between both sides of the deal. Atleast limit it to some degree. 

I honestly hope to god that we don't outlaw words that have to do with homophobia, racism, or sexism. Its roleplay, its supposed to realistic. If words hurt you then sorry but not sorry. If you wanna kill off an internet community, then the best way to do it would be to turn it into a safe space like you are suggesting. Not once when someone or me have called another individual a derogatory term has it caused an issue with a person oocly. We are all adults here. I just don't agree with censoring what people can and can't say ig. On the forums its different because of nsfw issues which is understandable, but IG and iccly we should be able to say what we want as long as its not in a trolly manner just meant to mess with someone on an ooc level. 

Thats just my 2 cents, hopefully no one is angered by what I have said but its just my opinion.

29 minutes ago, Brett said:

I get that completely. However, maybe there shouldn't be a rule completely banning that sort of roleplay there should be a rule limiting it. I've already had my fair share of people who completely go overboard. Sure it makes sense IC. But you also have to understand, that there are people who get triggered by this. I myself don't get triggered, I just get a little annoyed. Oh well. But there are those people. Just like you should be able to Roleplay without the fear of being banned, the person on the receiving end should also be able to Roleplay without the fear of having 10 armed men coming up to them and start screaming the n-word at them. Which has happened. I've seen it myself. I just think there should be a limit as to how far you can go with your racist character. That's just my opinion though.

I guess my response to Stannis can also fit this. In a way.

So we should change the rule because some people get triggered....

Like I said before if people do it just to do it and it makes no sense report them or leave the situation if it does no one is forcing you to be there.

Also, we don't need another one of these.

Edited by Eagle
Adding stuff

2 minutes ago, MoodyOG said:

I honestly hope to god that we don't outlaw words that have to do with homophobia, racism, or sexism. Its roleplay, its supposed to realistic. If words hurt you then sorry but not sorry. If you wanna kill off an internet community, then the best way to do it would be to turn it into a safe space like you are suggesting. Not once when someone or me have called another individual a derogatory term has it caused an issue with a person oocly. We are all adults here. I just don't agree with censoring what people can and can't say ig. On the forums its different because of nsfw issues which is understandable, but IG and iccly we should be able to say what we want as long as its not in a trolly manner just meant to mess with someone on an ooc level. 

Thats just my 2 cents, hopefully no one is angered by what I have said but its just my opinion.

I'm not hurt by words. I may not have made that clear enough and I just want to make sure everyone knows that. Like I said, I like edgy humor. However, I never said I wanted to outlaw it. I've made it clear that it should just be limited. If you want to go the realistic route, why not get rid of rules regarding KOS, RDM, and other PVP oriented rules. There are no rules in real life, and if there are no rules as to what I cannot say why are there rules telling me what I cannot do.

KOS, RDM, and other PVP oriented rules are there for the sake of the server and the people who play. Who wants to roleplay on a server where you will die on sight like any other dayz server. Basically my point is, saying "I should be allowed to say what I want because DayZRP is supposed to be realistic" is not valid when I can't just realistically walk up to you and gun you down for no reason like I can in real life. 

17 minutes ago, Brett said:

Because the lack of rules limiting it, alot of people will turn away from DayZRP and to a different RP server. Having rules limiting this won't make people turn away from DayZRP either.

You're right, it won't. It's called the BadRP rule 0_0 

I feel you're ignoring me at this point just to continue this argument with the people regurgitating the same opinions and counters to your points that were made months ago. This conversation has been had. Like word for word. 

I swear if I could be arsed I could find identical points and counters to the ones being done on this thread right now, but in threads months old... 

THIS CONVERSATION HAS BEEN HAD! Nothing new is being brought up here.... go look through these handy threads on this VERY SUBJECT and see if you can't figure out some new angle to approach this issue. Because at the moment this thread is as good as Necroing one of these old ones. 

Edited by The Traveler

1 minute ago, The Traveler said:

I feel you're ignoring me at this point just to continue this argument with the people regurgitating the same opinions and counters to your points that were made months ago.

Not ignoring your point. I got your point and I was planning on looking for those posts. People just kept responding, and I'm a slow typer so it takes me a bit to respond.

3 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

I feel you're ignoring me at this point just to continue this argument with the people regurgitating the same opinions and counters to your points that were made months ago. This conversation has been had. Like word for word. 

I swear if I could be arsed I could find identical points and counters to the ones being done on this thread right now, but in threads months old... 

THIS CONVERSATION HAS BEEN HAD! Nothing new is being brought up here.... go look through these handy threads on this VERY SUBJECT and see if you can't figure out some new angle to approach this issue. This thread is as good as Necroing one of these old ones. 

You're right. I realize I'm in the wrong. I'll bite my lip and drop it. Still feel that some people come off as just being racist for the sake of being edgy, as some people would say. I've never actually gotten triggered by anything said in-game. Sometimes I can be like "Damn" when someone starts up with it, but that's all. My thing is that, I just feel it's healthier for the community if its toned down. However, I know that it'll be fine. I myself will never roleplay like that, but if everyone else is cool with it I'll be cool with it.

THIS IS A SERIOUS RP SERVER NOT A CHILD FRIENDLY / FAMILY FRIENDLY  PLAYGROUND . IF YOU WANT FAMILY FRIENDLY CONTENT GO PLAY FORTNIGHT OR CLUB Penguin or  MINE CRAFT BECAUSE ALL OF THOSE ARE STREAMER FRIENDLY , THIS SERVER IS A 18+ ADULT ENVIRONMENT AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED JUST TO CATER FOR ONE STREAMER.

FAT -1 FROM ME 

Edited by Stevekelly

I do admit that a line needs to be drawn with what is morally incorrect behavior but acceptable in RP and what is morally incorrect behavior  that is not acceptable RP however making this server G rated  will just kill this server.   

Edited by Stevekelly

There should absolutely be a line for racist/sexist/homophobic roleplay to not cross. People shouldnt go around saying slurs just to say them.
If it makes sense in the current situation, then a slur or two or a harsh comment is fine.

Entirely outlawing roleplay like that is a terrible thing to do, though. Always remember to keep some sort of border between OOC and IC. Things that someone says IC may not always reflect what they think OOC.

34 minutes ago, Stevekelly said:

THIS IS A SERIOUS RP SERVER NOT A CHILD FRIENDLY / FAMILY FRIENDLY  PLAYGROUND . IF YOU WANT FAMILY FRIENDLY CONTENT GO PLAY FORTNIGHT OR CLUB Penguin or  MINE CRAFT BECAUSE ALL OF THOSE ARE STREAMER FRIENDLY , THIS SERVER IS A 18+ ADULT ENVIRONMENT AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED JUST TO CATER FOR ONE STREAMER.

FAT -1 FROM ME 

1 minute ago, Zilly said:

There should absolutely be a line for racist/sexist/homophobic roleplay to not cross. People shouldnt go around saying slurs just to say them.
If it makes sense in the current situation, then a slur or two or a harsh comment is fine.

Entirely outlawing roleplay like that is a terrible thing to do, though. Always remember to keep some sort of border between OOC and IC. Things that someone says IC may not always reflect what they think OOC.

This conversation is pretty much already dead. With the realization that this conversation has been had many times before, and my own saying that I was in the wrong, this conversation is pretty much over.

@The Traveler brought all the old posts about this topic to my attention. If it's what everyone else is cool with it then cool. I probably won't respond anymore to this post because why would I lmao.

BadRP? Report them. That's all you need.

This has worked for a long time. Playing a believable racist or homophobic character is good. It's nice to join the server and have my character challenged by some rude people... or to challenge some peoples characters.

At the end of the day this is all acting, don't take it personal. I wasn't turned away by this and every other serious roleplayer I've met (even the not so serious ones) don't mind about meeting unsavoury characters. 

i disagree entirely. it really fucking kills RP when a gangster character cant call people the n word because of rules

racism is also a good catalyst for hostile situations

- 1 to free speech

+1 America

Restricting what people can and cant say is lame, plain and simple. 

There should be no restrictions for ANYTHING said in character, plain and simple.  This server is not anyone's "safe space".   If you have a problem with it and wish to act it out in character, then use it towards a hostile situation.  

2 hours ago, Brett said:

- something something RESTRICTION OF MY SECOND AMENDMENT -

And as long as its done with an IC reason, its fine. Kamenici are hardline Eastern Orthodox followers. Yeah, they are homophobic. Yeah, they are racist. That's called being in character.

see my argument is you wouldn't have a post apocalypse setting where everyone was PG SJW snowflakes, its just not realistic enough and would break my IMMERSION but i can understand why you and psi syn would want a pg server  its all about that getting monetised these days and making green, if you do have a problem with the RP then report it for bad RP