Server time (UTC): 2021-09-25 00:33

End loot saturation!

The Traveler

Tl;dr: Incase you can't be arsed to read my... fence of text? (it's not quite a wall): 

There is no incentive to travel around the map other than "where the RP is at atm" which results in this cycle repeating over and over again:

dayzrp.png.22fb8e1c93ca36104114abb4227743f2.png
Let's spice up the loot system so we only get certain high end items in certain areas of the map (but multiple places: I.e: High end medical loot only in hospitals, High end industrial supplies and tools in big industrial complexes and not sheds) so that gear can be another incentive for people to travel + more importantly create hubs / go to them. 

Hi friend! You are probably opening this thread hoping for a traveller wall of text. I'm sorry, but I can't do that for you, so here, have an old thread of the same topic if you need your monthly "i want to kill myself because I just read an essay by some random shitter who bought tycoon" buzz. 

Now that's out of the way let's talk about the loot economy at the moment: 

Open up IZurvive, here, I even got a link for you! ^_^ 
https://dayz.ginfo.gg/

Now pick and random spot on the map {not in the ocean you clever fuck} and draw a 1-2km circle around that spot you picked. Now unless you've been a total smart arse about it (there will at least be one) you could say with, decent confidence you could gear up pretty well in that circle. You'd have food, water , medical supplies, hell military weapons considering all the checkpoints around now! 

We all... some people......I call it

LOOT SATURATION!!!!!! (Pretend I was bothered enough to make it spoopy text for Halloween)

Now gentlemen (and ladies) get ready for a fucking twist that would make M.Night Shyamalan gasp in ethereal dread and horror! 

Reshape that circle.... INTO A TRIANGLE! ?

tenor.gif?itemid=8620816

Yes that's right folks! Triangles / Megahubs <--- (Hubs that literally had the whole server pop there, think cherno begining of lore wipe) never used to be a massive thing in mod, we'd have more dangerous areas in our usual triangle spots like say stary, but it was never to the point where you'd never find people down south or... well anywhere outside the triangle!

Also back in the day we had a system for loot economy that had our shit spread all over the damn place;

-High end medical loot could ONLY be found hospitals (you'd find bandages sure... but anti biotics, blood bags? Nah you need hospitals fam)

-Wanted military stuff? You could yoink to the closest checkpoint and get 64 AK-47's and 200 magazines to boot! You needed to trek to dangerous waters to grab that shit my friend!

-Industrial supplies? There wern't sheds that magically had the entire contents of Autosmart repair shop inside em! You had to go to shore line towns or industrial districts of cities to get them!

Traveler, this is getting close to a fence of text, don't make it into a wall, get to the frigging point!

Point is that shit back in the day had purpose! Medical camps were set up far west as there wern't too many high end medical supplies, car shops were set up on the coast, trade between settlements was a thing as places literally wouldn't have access to X type of loot very easily.

People travelled (and before you say it yes, mainly walking, we had vehicles in mod but they were just as horded and hidden as they are ... were... in standalone ?

So: tl;dr: With loot distribution tools coming with 1.0 (which will be out by December) let's stop the shitty saturation of loot that causes mega hubs and triangles and get people actually running for their shit for once. It's a beautiful map, I want a reason to travel it ^_^ 

P.S: @Kerkkoh : You were the last person to post on the original suggestion thread nearly a year ago basically fapping over the potential of loot distribution tools, so you have to chime in... it's the law ?

Edited by The Traveler
  • Emerald

I have to say no to this.

In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with past or current loot economy.

Hell, a lot of people currently are still struggling to find basics necessities.

While I can see the appeal of it (an current good example of your dream system would be the high cap vest which only spawn at Tisy). The same example ends with you getting Loot RPed for it.

I much prefer the current element of travelling in the "No Man's Land" of South Zagoria and randomly running into someone. The simple reason is that they would be there for an reason other then looting.

With "specific" hot spots for items you run the risk of larger and more able groups taking control of it and denying the rest of the community access.

Where as now, which is more realistic anywhere can provide you with your needed equipment.

Yeah the only result this will have is that the groups will prey on anyone with the loot they want. I don't see a problem with this (mainly because I am in one of the groups who'd do that) but I am sure all the nice guys and lone wolves would. 

Just keep it the way it is. 

This might work but it would also substantially increase GearRP. It is easier to rob someone and provide mediocre RP than loot for it outside the Triangle unfortunately.

That being said, I'm down to try anything once so +1

Edited by Guest

Well, people should be afraid to go for "high end" loot. You want antibiotics for that dying friend? Brave that huge city crawling with infected and bandits to get that rare gen IV ceph. You want a sweet ass SVD? Better get ready to get mauled by wolves, infected and bandits in the military areas.

Sure, spawn some ammo and low end mil gear in the checkpoints, maybe some saline in normal clinics, but there should be some risk of getting robbed or killed if you have valuable stuff.

However, we do need more loot. Especially weapons. Medical supplies are awesome as they are, with the different modded drugs but their distribution is a little wack. I'd very much would lilke a 3000% increase in infected presence in large cities couple with a 100% increased loot in hospitals. Likewise with big military bases.

Hell, spawn more infected EVERYWHERE till the server fumes :3

I want to be scared to run into a town, even with my unlimited ammo.

• Emerald
2 hours ago, Razareth said:

Hell, a lot of people currently are still struggling to find basics necessities.

I really don't see how they are as basic needs are very common. 
I rather think that when bacteria and infections are coming back into the game that it might become a slight obstacle, but still getting sanitized food and water is also no big deal. 

I'd rather see ammunition and high grade weapons become a pain to get to and high end clothing such as military. Currently when I walk into a military base (which are everywhere in Chernarus plus) you basically trip over the gear when you as much as enter the base. 

I think canned food should also be a rare find. We are after all already more than a year into the state where everybody and their mother is looting the crap out of everything.
Wildlife and forage should be more common, everything else a reason to be robbed for.

But this will only work if the game isn't completely broken. We need ways to counteract the rarity of items, and thus basic surviving is doable, and luxury is basically non existent.

7 hours ago, Razareth said:

With "specific" hot spots for items you run the risk of larger and more able groups taking control of it and denying the rest of the community access.

Trade Routes, Patrols to reduce risk of robbery, highway men robbing trade routes, reasons for settlements in different areas to encourage more safe areas. And as for you point about groups... god forbid a group takes over a place for a practical reason rather than banter, S-Gru took over half the damn map back in mod which led to some of the best RP over the course of a few months I've ever seen. 

Their actions actually meant something + lead to lore progression due to that. Group takes over a section of the map nowadays? People shrug, leave em to it, they get bored, actions nowadays are pointless as shit on a "conqueror and settler" scale :L 

5 hours ago, Cipher said:

This might work but it would also substantially increase GearRP. It is easier to rob someone and provide mediocre RP than loot for it outside the Triangle unfortunately.

That being said, I'm down to try anything once so +1

GearRP is not a dirty word if done right. And as for mediocre RP just because the reason is loot? Thats a player problem, not a mechanic problem :L Back in the days where this system was in place highway bandits were some of my favourite HostileRP encounters and is a small "price" to pay to get rid of certain status quos we have atm ?

Tl;dr: 
image.png.280edfa107223a83f985343b790d994e.png

As to why I make a big deal out of it now? We have 100 people servers... unless we do something to dissuade triangle and megahub bullshit we are gonna get a report unlike anything we've ever seen on this forum at some point , with over 70+witnesses and a collective staff team aneurysm we have never seen the likes of! ?

Prime Example I can think of atm: Homestead of the free medics could be anywhere on the map atm.... but if this system was put in place it would be 10x more useful where it is as it is so far from medical supplies, so people would more likely go there to get patched up! 

Edited by The Traveler
  • Emerald
1 hour ago, The Traveler said:

Trade Routes, Patrols to reduce risk of robbery, highway men robbing trade routes, reasons for settlements in different areas to encourage more safe areas.

Firstly, wake up and smell the roses buddy. What you mention above is a pipe dream at best. Traders have never been successful, plus in a recent mod review you can have NPC traders like in "Mod" days. That alone would kill out the Traders. As for patrols...right...cause we see currently so many groups patrolling South Zagoria. Settlements will settle in whatever area they want, regardless of loot. It is usually because of RP reason that they set themselves up out of the triangle or within it. No loot change will change that.

And as for you point about groups... god forbid a group takes over a place for a practical reason rather than banter, S-Gru took over half the damn map back in mod which led to some of the best RP over the course of a few months I've ever seen.

*Looks around* Hmm...only one problem with that statement. WE ARE NOT IN MOD ANYMORE. The economies and playstyle of current RPers are far different then back in Mod. So comparing the two is in my opinion pointless. Also "Practical" reasons rather than "Banter"? Have you looked around? It is the strong eat the weak on this server. Practical Mechanical Group takes over garages. Banter PvPers taxes them to the point they don't want to RP and disband the group. It has happened before and it will happen again. Which is why I'm against the idea.

Their actions actually meant something + lead to lore progression due to that. Group takes over a section of the map nowadays? People shrug, leave em to it, they get bored, actions nowadays are pointless as shit on a "conqueror and settler" scale :L 

I highly doubt any change to the loot table will change that. You know what will happen? People will RP at different time slots so they can get access to the equipment they need. Which will lead to a wide divide in the Community. What you are referring to isn't "Lore". "Group A now controls and run the Fire Stations". That is what your "Lore" boils down to. Without approval from Staff, nothing can truly be "Lore" forwarding. Even if you make a Scientist Group it will still have to go through Staff if any of your findings are "Lore" otherwise it is merely Folktale.

GearRP is not a dirty word if done right. And as for mediocre RP just because the reason is loot? Thats a player problem, not a mechanic problem :L Back in the days where this system was in place highway bandits were some of my favourite HostileRP encounters and is a small "price" to pay to get rid of certain status quos we have atm

"If done right" that can sum up DayZRP in a nutshell. We can have a PvPers and RPers on the same server (if done right), though it is not. GearRP can be fun (if done right) yet it hardly ever is. Plus how can you blame a player for what the loot system is doing? (Oh you spend 5 hours yesterday scavenging for that shirt? It's mine now because I say so) < Avoided if in the next town you can find the same shirt. You seem really bend on turning DayZRP in DayZ Mod RP. There was a server and nobody played, because the system was flawed. So stop trying to implemented something that doesn't have a place in this current generation of RPers.

As to why I make a big deal out of it now? We have 100 people servers... unless we do something to dissuade triangle and megahub bullshit we are gonna get a report unlike anything we've ever seen on this forum at some point , with over 70+witnesses and a collective staff team aneurysm we have never seen the likes of!

On what evidence do you base this on? When there was 60 people servers not all flocked to the triangle, even though the same circumstances were present. I feel like this is a "Boy crying Wolf" scenario and should only be dealt with once we cross that bridge. No need to ruin the game for everyone for something that might never happen.

Prime Example I can think of atm: Homestead of the free medics could be anywhere on the map atm.... but if this system was put in place it would be 10x more useful where it is as it is so far from medical supplies, so people would more likely go there to get patched up!

You think this is bad? You are forces people to be bullied just so you can more easily find them instead of actually looking for them or using the radio to find them? Where is the fun and adventure in that? Instead of picking a place for the sake of it being cool and secluded to provide good RP to those who find you, you want to label and force them into a box. If a public medical group was viable, somebody would have done it by now. I can think of Capax Infiniti that tried to turn a hospital into a place of safety and they got grieved and trolled to the point of archive. The new looting system protects lone wolves and small undefended groups from being overrun by the powerful groups.

We are already seeing that Hero Groups struggle to take off. Your looting system in my opinion would kill any chance of Hero Groups returning as nobody will want to deal with the pain of being bullied.

This is a game made to be fun. I'm sure many will agree with me when I say I don't want to come home and login to be someones bitch. The current Loot System gives me and all other that feel that way the power to avoid being put in a box.

The day DayZRP implemented a focused loot economy like in "Mod" is the day Bandit Groups win.

Edited by Razareth
17 minutes ago, Razareth said:

A: Also "Practical" reasons rather than "Banter" have you looked around. It is the strong eat the weak on this server. Practical Mechanical Group takes over garages. Banter PvPers taxes them to the point they don't want to RP and disband the group. It has happened before and it will happen again. Which is why I'm against the idea.

B: I highly doubt any change to the loot table will change that. You know what will happen? People will RP at different time slots so they can get access to the equipment they need. Which will lead to a wide divide in the Community. What you are referring to isn't "Lore". "Group A now controls and run the Fire Stations". That is what your "Lore" boils down to. Without approval from Staff, nothing can truly be "Lore" forwarding. Even if you make a Scientist Group it will still have to go through Staff if any of your findings are "Lore" otherwise it is merely Folktale.

I am going to reply to these two things as you somehow managed to make a wall of text reply bigger than my suggestion (and believe me, there is a lot of people who would call that an achievement so gratz ❤️ ) 

A: I'll simply tell you that it will happen on occasion, but Free Medics are doing a decent shot at it so far, 2 weeks and 0 firefights that actually included them (only ones even at homestead have been between 2 groups who just happened to be there at the same time, who made a matter out of ensuring the FM's were not in the fireing line) so maybe you should give these PvP "banter" groups some more credit :L The argument of "PvPers will ruin it " is weak as shit dude, and frankly insulting on all those pvp groups :S <---Which I think sums up most of your reply tbh. 

B: Assuming people would be little wusses is honestly hilarious. But regardless I'm gonna focus on your lore comment. You are completely 100% wrong. Lore was the changing of status quos, the forming of new groups etc etc. Did the dismantling of the saviours in walking dead not count as a huge lore change just because they weren't some super important mega evil that controls the zombies or some shit? 

DayZRP is a roleplaying game, it's players ARE THE LORE! Their groups, their wars, their territories, their politics. 

The House have tried to manipulate wars between factions, Free Medics have made peace treaties with various groups, Tortugan state has gone from morally straight faction to slavers out of desperation, Cannibals were released into the wild and created new character possibilities. Lore progression is stuff in game that changes the status quo. If you want to boil it down to "person X took place Y"  and, in turn you believe only staff can progress it, then I seriously feel bad for you that you sell yourself that short ?

Lore is already progressing, but this change I propose could give more opportunities to progress it.

17 minutes ago, Razareth said:

The day DayZRP implemented a focused loot economy like in "Mod" is the day Bandit Groups win.

As a final note: This ideology is something I honestly detest. 
Bandit groups can / are atm interesting and RP pushing forces within the community. Inferring that they'd somehow "win" (as if their end goal is to end all interesting RP on the server or something) is insulting and frankly just plain wrong. 

Edited by The Traveler
  • Emerald
2 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

The argument of "PvPers will ruin it " is weak as shit dude

The fact that you read my "Wall of Text" and took that away from it, it is weak as shit DUDE.

Not all PvPers ruin stuff, on that you are correct and I should have phrase it better. but once something is ruin it is 10 to 1 due to PvPers being involved. I've met and chatted with PvPers, hell I was in a PvP Group before Lore Wipe. Unfortunately we have this thing called "Bad Apples" and 1 out of 10 PvPers Groups that cause Banter is enough to shut someone down given enough time. It is merely a warning, similar as you warned against the Triangle being overcrowded. However I have evidence to back up my claim where as you don't.

TL;DR: Not all PvPers are bad, but some tend to go overboard and that could ruin your Specific Economic System in the way I pointed out.

9 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Assuming people would be little wusses is honestly hilarious.

I am not assuming. I have spoken with others that feel the same way and I'm merely voices an opinion on a demograph of the Community. This Community is made up of tons of people. From PvPers to RPers. From TextRP to VIOPRP and all those who fall in between.

And yes, I am a fucking wuse, I have the right to be one. If I wanted to play DayZ for the shooting I would go play on Pubs or 420. I joined this Community cause I felt this would be a good place to unwind. It has been and the reason I speak up. The reason I aggro against your point, is because I believe your System will take my relaxing experience away from me.

15 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Lore progression is stuff in game that changes the status quo.

I have to disagree on that or halfly at least. There are two types of Lore in my opinion. What happens on a daily bases and what happens around us. What is happening to the rest of the World? Why aren't we seeing CDF or NATO or BPR. That Lore is standing still cause staff has to progress it. Our Lore the Lore of South Zagoria evolves everyday we play on the servers, but we are in a bubble.

18 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

Lore is already progressing, but this change I propose could give more opportunities to progress it.

I still disagree on that. I still feel that your change will harm more then it will do good.

• MVP

The Lore is dead. Now we just have people who play on the servers to come up with their own stuff and do groups and make alliances like Trav said. But here's the problem, it is never going to be nearly as coherent or interesting as something with a good solid vision and the tools and manpower to make it happen. THAT is Lore. What 25 different groups do as they squabble over a piece of land and devise this and that thing is just a meandering muddle-fuck, that occasionally amounts to something great when you have a vision and enough people behind it. 

Lore (or an over arching narrative superseding everything, but encompassing it and including it) is NOT high on the priority list here. People want to be entertained, they don't care how, they just want to be spoon fed shit. They want flashy events and things that make them feel good. You try and give the vast majority of folks a tidbit that is connected to a dark, deep twisty story that they can uncover and they bite about as meekly as a well fed disinterested minnow. People don't want to spend time unraveling something. 

I'm not discounting the playerbase or their tendencies. It is the job of people who care (like Trav and Raz here) to come up with stuff. But if we ever lose track of the fact that something revolutionary and awesome only organically emerges like once or twice a year then we might run the risk of torching our own efforts to make stuff more fun. Nobody needs the CDF, BPR or any crap like that. What is needed is a coherent narrative people can be apart of, interact with and shape. 

I am aware this was not the original topic of the thread I am just responding to what it evolved into.

Edited by Major
  • Sapphire

I have kind of a weird opinion when it comes to both topics put together, but this is the internet and I payed $80 to make my name look cool on this site so I'm going to damn well voice it! 

The Lore

I completely agree with @Major. The Lore in its current state is dead. People had fun with it for the first month or so, but quickly they got bored of it and moved towards their own ideas. I don't think that there is really anything wrong with that, but it would sure be nice if we had some LoreMasters to guide the way. No flame to the staff who have been hosting the recent events. They were cool, but ultimately had no effect on the server lore. It just helped some people look cool after they yoinked some gear out of the prize pool. The server pop is doing fairly well compared to just a few months ago when it was on the brink of death, so I think now is the time to make a change. Open up applications for LoreMasters and let people write their heart out! they can be the ones running events, they can help groups get a start and be more involved with the playerbase. 

example: Timmy makes a new group based around the French Army. Timmy goes and talks to the loremasters, asking for help because in the nice lore he has written for his group, the army still has possesion of vehicles like ospreys and chinooks, which Timmy wants to use in his entrance. The LoreMasters make a nice little server message "The blades of an Osprey could be heard flying above you, you spot the Osprey heading towards Balota. The sound fades before eventually coming back as the Osprey leaves in the direction it came." Maybe Im just dumb or overly zealous but that sounds pretty cool to me. Now you have...

A. A new group who has gotten a nice burst of influence right off the bat.

B. A curious playerbase who begins to discuss the marvel of technology which hasn't been present for some time.

C. Several new story archs just from people witnessing the server message. People would talk about it for days maybe longer, and the Frenchies could take responsibility and run with. Now LoreMaster can decide if they want to keep helping them based on the actual strength they acquire in game.

In summary

2l1nhz.jpg

The Loot

I have already made one post describing my woes to the current loot table, and judging from my poll the community is split almost exactly fifty fifty. I think @The Traveler's idea would work great to get rid of some of the cancerous parts of our community in game. Move PvP and RP throughout the map. Instead of hearing shots pop off in Stary every hour, they would occur throughout different areas in the map. Yet at the same time, Hubs do the same thing. They are just magnets to hostile groups. I Think Traveler's Idea would have a positive impact, but seems just a tad bit radical.

For those who dont like to read so much

2l1rax.jpg

Edited by Reckless
using memes to summarize threads is great
6 minutes ago, Reckless said:

They are just magnets to hostile groups. I Think Traveler's Idea would have a positive impact, but seems just a tad bit radical.

I think you have summed up my entire personality there ? Also I agree with the hub thing, but would slightly counter that the hubs are the only place to go atm as loot is not an issue. "Looted up from 3 towns? Let's go to the most popular hub", the new system perhaps being something like "I've geared up a bit, i got food and water, but I need medical supplies, lets go homestead... I need my car repaired, lets go to berenzino repair shop" etc etc

And I agree with the lore to an extent too! Would love to see some staff stuff, but I personally think it's a cherry on the cake rather than the full cake. 

Edited by The Traveler
1 hour ago, Major said:

What is needed is a coherent narrative people can be apart of, interact with and shape. 

We need the dayz equivalent of a Dungeon Master. Someone who isn't part of the narrative and thus shapes it unbiased.  But who wants to lead a game BUT not play it?

Edited by Aleksi-Baraszkov
  • Sapphire
1 minute ago, Aleksi-Baraszkov said:

We need the dayz equivalent of a Dungeon Master. Someone who isn't part of the narrative and thus shapes it unbiased.  But who wants to lead a game BUT not play it?

Thats what lore master were pretty much

I feel this topic may be a bit more prudent considering the issues that have come to light since grishino became a thing.

-Homestead had been a lot more deader than usual

-Story lines are not progressing as quick / at all between groups as most people are hanging at grishino all day

-People get bored and do stupid shit (Caling people names for drama, initating. Even as far as people "going to fuck with free medics" [a group they've never really met from what I heard] because they have "Fuck all else to do" because everyone else is in grishino. 

It's not anyone's fault that grishino happened, it's the mechanics of the game reaching it's natural conclusion. There is no incentive to travel, so people gravitate towards the "popular spot". I feel this needs to be addressed, as I firmly believe the symptoms of the last few days have been caused by this horrid system we have in place atm. 

• Emerald

We also need more staged staff events.

The last one didn't wet so well from what I've heard, but you can certainly try once more.
People are going to get bored with Grishino one day, and then move on.

Once base building and cars are a thing we can also focus more on user created content.

2 minutes ago, Osaka said:

People are going to get bored with Grishino one day, and then move on.

To another mega hub location. It's what's been happening since the begining of Standalone lore wipe last year. 

The days of smaller hubs are over, and have been for some time (most smaller hubs lasting a week as noone visits them regularly as everyone is at the mega hub, even if they are relatively close by) unless incentive to travel is brought back.

I just wish people would stop trying to make "hubs".

Every other week the head of some group makes a Dayz Radio thread about their newly found NATION STATE in some backwaters town in zombie-infested Chernarus and invites everyone to come along for a good time. How about groups of 5-15 people making their own small settlements? Like you're suggesting, Traveler, with loot customisation people could set up near an area with X type of loot and try to make a business out of selling it to other groups visiting. Or those groups visiting could rob them.

A lot of people seem to have this idea that the way to get good RP is by actively seeking out other people and the more the merrier.

I'm not sure how technically feasible this suggestion would be, but maybe to prevent "Mega Hubs" from being a thing, or at least make it be slightly more Interesting? there could be some kind of "Infected Horde" that roams around and gravitates toward large gatherings of players? If it can't be dynamic like that, perhaps admins being able to spawn 200+ zombies that 'Walk into town' or something, where after the server resets then the population of that places zombies increases? 

Again, not sure how feasible that would be, and its just a thought but I would think it would be intimidating as hell to suddenly see a horde of zombies that "Walked into town during the night." and then everyone suddenly now has to fight their way out of the town, hide and wait it out, or try and sneak out of town.

• Sapphire
11 hours ago, The Traveler said:

To another mega hub location. It's what's been happening since the begining of Standalone lore wipe last year. 

The days of smaller hubs are over, and have been for some time (most smaller hubs lasting a week as noone visits them regularly as everyone is at the mega hub, even if they are relatively close by) unless incentive to travel is brought back.

Lets not blame the problem on the lore wipe. Mega Hubs were a thing even before the wipe.

Novaya

Gorka - Ms13 for life esse

Sverograd

Svetlo

Cherno

Zeleno

Those are just the ones that I know from my around nearly 6 months before the wipe. Its Standalone's loot table creating the problem. The Lore certainly didn't make the problem but it could probably fix it. 

• Emerald

Personally I think we don't need hubs at all.

But groups can have a place they call home. Just a base they might be around at some point.
But we shouldn't have "safezones" or something like that, because then everybody goes there and camps the shit out of it.

However, it does create good RP. Because when people feel at ease, at least then you won't be having twitchy gearRP players circle strafing you with their gun out expecting to be initiated on every waking second.

• Diamond

So I’m in partial agreement with most of what’s being stated here, however the issue is not “mega hubs” in my opinon.

The reason why Mega hubs are not the primary issue in this is that the true issue is mobility, players simply cannot run across the map like they used to, now even more so due to the stamina system. It took a good while to cross the map normally but it probably takes double the the time if not more depending on how much kit you have on you. With this in mind, would you rather take thirty minutes traveling to a remote area with no real reason to go there in hopes that’s people will be there, only to find it empty and have to spend another thirty minutes running back to the populated area to have any RP.  People will go where they know RP is, if they don’t think RP will be in a place and the loot is poor there as well, why bother? 

One major reason that many places are barren is because we have no vehicles. If you look to mod where vehicles were common, people could be found all over the place, from the west to the east and loot was not an issue because one could travel to the military spots, loot up and drive back to where they want to hang out in a quarter of the time it would take to even run to a location. Settlements popped up outside the triangle many times in the mod, with the closest settlement being Ravens Nest and that was a small bar complex not some sprawling fortress. Larger hubs popped up and they were far from the airfield and most military loot spots and they worked fine. 

I fully believe that once vehicles are added and added in abundance, like I believe Rolle wants to do, that people will be able to fully spread out across the map and really enjoy the beautiful world the dev’s have crafted. 

......also add a fucking bridge to prison island.

3 hours ago, Hex said:

I fully believe that once vehicles are added and added in abundance, like I believe Rolle wants to do, that people will be able to fully spread out across the map and really enjoy the beautiful world the dev’s have crafted. 

......also add a fucking bridge to prison island.

I'd believe you if it wasn't for the fact that vehicles were not "abundant" in the mod. On a good day you'd see 2-3 cars parked up at trade post at best. But yet people still travelled on foot to most the major settlements (Hell at peak the main settlements were in Berenzino, Pobeda Dam, Gorka and Cherno all at the same time, we aint seen that much variety, all with good foot traffic, in any part of standalone's history, even when vehicles were added) 

Mega-Hubs as I call them are a purely standalone phenomenon, and I still stand by the problem is less the journey, but more the destination, or rather lack of. There is a grand difference of "fucking nothing" between the north and south, the east and west, the centre or the outskirts. The only place with "unique / rare items not commonly found literally anywhere else" being NWAF / Tisy... once upon a time balota as well...

And in turn the "mega hubs" (Once again, hubs where 90% of the server resided most days) were close to these unique spots, but we only ever had 1 mega hub at a time as there was no need to go to any of the other "unique" places as they all had the same shit (I.E. High end military gear) 

But don't take my word for it, let's go have a look at where all the "mega hubs" happened to be set up throughout SA's history with my boy Wreckless shall we? 

12 hours ago, Reckless said:

Lets not blame the problem on the lore wipe. Mega Hubs were a thing even before the wipe.

Novaya - At the time NEAF was high mil spot

Gorka - Ms13 for life esse - Next to triangle

Sverograd -Tissy

Svetlo -Tissy + Triangle

Cherno - Balota

Zeleno- Myshkino tents back when it was amazeballs + edge of triangle

Those are just the ones that I know from my around nearly 6 months before the wipe. Its Standalone's loot table creating the problem. The Lore certainly didn't make the problem but it could probably fix it. 

^I stand by Wreckless' sentiment. It's the saturated loot table that's the main culprit. 

All I am suggesting is we make a few other types of "high end loot" spawn in distinct places too. Maybe Sewing kits and kitchen knives could be found in normal industrial spots and what not, but better quality axes and tools for base building in 1.0 could be found only in high end industrial districts like in berenzino or cherno. 

In summary: Make the destinations more interesting. I think the journey is a bit of it...

But I think the ideology of:  "I don't care if a journey takes an hour walking or 20 minutes in a vehicle... whats the point of going far away from triangle  if I can get what I want  5 minutes away from triangle? "

As a note I also share your dream of travelling this beautiful world (Look at my forum name ffs). But that's the issue I think, beauty is good, and it's why I'd travel, but I don't think everyone shares that sentiment and wants something practical to travel for too. 

Edited by The Traveler
  • Diamond
37 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

I'd believe you if it wasn't for the fact that vehicles were not "abundant" in the mod. On a good day you'd see 2-3 cars parked up at trade post at best. But yet people still travelled on foot to most the major settlements (Hell at peak the main settlements were in Berenzino, Pobeda Dam, Gorka and Cherno all at the same time, we aint seen that much variety, all with good foot traffic, in any part of standalone's history, even when vehicles were added) 

Mega-Hubs as I call them are a purely standalone phenomenon, and I still stand by the problem is less the journey, but more the destination, or rather lack of. There is a grand difference of "fucking nothing" between the north and south, the east and west, the centre or the outskirts. The only place with "unique / rare items not commonly found literally anywhere else" being NWAF / Tisy... once upon a time balota as well...

And in turn the "mega hubs" (Once again, hubs where 90% of the server resided most days) were close to these unique spots, but we only ever had 1 mega hub at a time as there was no need to go to any of the other "unique" places as they all had the same shit (I.E. High end military gear) 

But don't take my word for it, let's go have a look at where all the "mega hubs" happened to be set up throughout SA's history with my boy Wreckless shall we? 

^I stand by Wreckless' sentiment. It's the saturated loot table that's the main culprit. 

All I am suggesting is we make a few other types of "high end loot" spawn in distinct places too. Maybe Sewing kits and kitchen knives could be found in normal industrial spots and what not, but better quality axes and tools for base building in 1.0 could be found only in high end industrial districts like in berenzino or cherno. 

In summary: Make the destinations more interesting. I think the journey is a bit of it...

But I think the ideology of:  "I don't care if a journey takes an hour walking or 20 minutes in a vehicle... whats the point of going far away from triangle  if I can get what I want  5 minutes away from triangle? "

As a note I also share your dream of travelling this beautiful world (Look at my forum name ffs). But that's the issue I think, beauty is good, and it's why I'd travel, but I don't think everyone shares that sentiment and wants something practical to travel for too. 

Fair point through and through, though the mod players did not have to worry about stamina or a hunger system that requires an adult human to gorge on food and water like they are a starving obese person. Yes cars were not super common, but they were more prevalent and groups of nearly any size could get their hands on one and thus increased their mobility drastically. 

I agree we never had massive player hubs in the mod, we usually had several smaller or medium sized settlements at once which one of the group being more popular then the rest. There were times when Ravens Nest was more popular then Diesel Plant and vise versa for example. I believe that it’s a playerbase issue as well, with people not committing to the task of properly running a settlement or post. These days few people wish to go through the effort and actually follow through to make it happen.

i do agree that it’s partially the loot issue, and apart of that is simply how the Devs militarized the West while leaving the east utterly Bären of anything people would want. Hopefully once we reach a more stable point we can diversify things. It will most likely be a combination of several improvements that will see people spreading across the map in upcoming updates. From vehicles to new civilian grade items that one cannot get in military areas. However there will always be people who prefer military gear, military guns and can make do with what other supplies they can find around there areas.